Sign in to follow this  

Codies Big Challenge for 'F1 2015' (Career Mode)

Hey All,

I was going to make this a REALLY lengthy post with all my thoughts on career mode - what should be included, what shouldn't etc etc. But we all know this has been done to death - if Codies don't know by now what we want from Career Mode, they never will. I am a huge fan of Codies to be honest - F1 2012 - 2013 has given me hours of fun and in general most f the gameplay is brilliant, but I think if they don't buck up their ideas with Career Mode for 2015 people will steer away from the F1 series. Why?

Well, looking at the development of other games for 2015, the Career Mode seems to be what they are concentrating on and I'm already very excited. Don't get me wrong, with Codies knowledge I think they are probably going to be a long way off with the physics of the game initially (I mean for open wheel racing), but career mode in the new games looks like its going to take you from Karting to being an F1 champion.

In My opinion 'F1 2015' needs to do this for career mode. I know the series over the last few years is currently only focused on F1, but I think they really need to go down the route of having Karting/GP3/GP2/F1 as a whole in one game. Hopefully this is why they have not titled it yet, maybe the new title for 2015 will encompass all Formulas? I certainly hope so - this would then certainly be 'cooking up a storm'. They could make it so you could either start off from F1 or Karting (or any stage in between!) as a real driver with an age and career stats etc etc.

I have seen comments that they may not be able to do much with Career mode in the next gen series, but I really can't see why they cant 'fit' this into the game when many other racing games have 100's of cars and many Championship modes.

If the above is not the case for 2015 I worry for the future of the F1 series. This is such a shame as Codies seem to have most things nailed with regards to many aspects of the game play. I just don't see where things are going with this series otherwise. If you are not racing career mode you're either playing GP mode (which gets very repetitive), just trying to beat 'unrealistic' lap times or playing 'bumping cars' on-line, which is why people head off and do more serious sim racing.

Finally, away from Career Mode Codies also need to improve their online racing options with penalties and leagues/championships on-line with penalties and bans for bad drivers. I know this would cost money to run, but as a keen sim racer I'd even be prepared to pay a small monthly fee to actually have a good administration and finally some 'fair' online F1 racing!

I'd be interested in everyone's thoughts...

Dean

I don't think codemasters have the license to encorporate karting gp2 gp3 etc. annoying cos it'sa great idea in my opinion. and if people don't like it they can just start in f1, simple

Different formulas ain't going to happen, Steve has said so before when asked about it. GP2 is a brand in it's self and as such has a licensing rights attached. Maybe they could do it from a young driver programme perspective where you start out as a third driver taking part in testing and practice sessions etc. Next Gen F1 will most likely see an updated career (similar to what we already have plus a few bells and whistles) and a larger Classic Car including more DLC. Codies have already mentioned about updates throughout the real F1 season so maybe that is where the Career will see most improvements.

I agree that career mode needs an upgrade and 2015 would be the perfect time to do it given the transition to next gen will take place then. I don't think however that they'll be adding gp2 gp3 and the like as they need to first be lice4nsed and would require a lot more money and effort on CM's part and given CM are already spending millions just to acquire and have the F1 license I don't see it happening.

I think for me they need to go back to the beginning and look at what their intentions were with the Live the Life feature they started out with in F1 2010 as I thought it was an excellent idea and I was surprised they ditched it really because that's what a series like this needs if it's going to survive any longer than it has. This was after all I think what made me and probably quite a few others buy into the series. I find Fifa's career mode really engaging and interesting and we need something similar in the F1 series. it doesn't matter sometimes if it doesn't work perfectly first time out as long as it's worked on and improved year on year. After all  Fifa does this brilliantly and this is how in my opinion it's managed to stay ahead of PES as it's always looked to find someway to improve. I appreciate CM do have limited resources in comparison to the likes of EA but that dosen't mean improvements can't happen. It just means they have to be clever in how they implement it. If I were CM I'd bring Live the life back and look for ways to expand and build on it to make it an even better feature rather than leaving it out.

Possibly even something like combining modern F1 with Classic F1 might be an idea if they decide to bring the classics back at some stage. whereby as part of building up your reputation or whatever you take part in a non championship classic event at Silverstone racing Hill's or Mansell's cars or something like that. This is just a basic idea for something they could do not necessarily something they will. it's just a case of them getting creative and coming up with some new ideas for career mode to make it more engaging and finding a way to incorporating them in. Maybe doing something with the money like we had in 2010 as well rather than just kind of using it as a kind of score point

FOM are the commercial rights holders for GP2 and GP3, I cant see how that would cause any problems. "licencing issues" seem to be thrown around as a very convenient excuse for almost every question that gets asked on this forum.

I can't see why FOM would be against promoting their own product.

MUZZARIOL said:

FOM are the commercial rights holders for GP2 and GP3, I cant see how that would cause any problems. "licencing issues" seem to be thrown around as a very convenient excuse for almost every question that gets asked on this forum.

I can't see why FOM would be against promoting their own product.

neither would I but I would imagine they'd still charge for it and would CM be happy enough to fork out that extra money? I'm not too sure they would be. If they did decide to do this I'd imagine it would be as a DLC expansion and charge us extra that way. I can't see CM incorporating it into the game and just keep charging £30 for it as they'd want to be paid for the extra work it would entail I would imagine the price to go up at least to £50 if they did do that. I think the DLC expansion would be the most likely option if they did do this. I just don't see CM willingto do it though given how expensive licensing F1 costs.

Its a really great idea but it just couldnt happen as Wanorac said its a license issue.  I had an idea that I posted a while back that CM could incorporate all the seasons that they have covered in F1.  So you'd start with say,  HRT in 2010 and try to progrss to Ferrari by 2014.  I was told that the license doesnt allow that either.  I think the main thing holding back the game is FOM themselves not CM.  Why do we have to pretend that F1 cars never break down and remain fully in tack except the front wing when they crash?  We know CM have a good crash model, its in grid.

Please FOM give CM more control of their own game!

Cptcrash1 said:

Its a really great idea but it just couldnt happen as Wanorac said its a license issue.  I had an idea that I posted a while back that CM could incorporate all the seasons that they have covered in F1.  So you'd start with say,  HRT in 2010 and try to progrss to Ferrari by 2014.  I was told that the license doesnt allow that either.  I think the main thing holding back the game is FOM themselves not CM.  Why do we have to pretend that F1 cars never break down and remain fully in tack except the front wing when they crash?  We know CM have a good crash model, its in grid.

Please FOM give CM more control of their own game!

Not too sure on that as earlier F1 games have had moer breakdowns and things like that in the game Crammonds GP series is a prime example of this. I agree with the fact that GP" and GP3 are unlikely to be added same as the multi season idea you came up with. But as I said in my earlier post I think it's a case of CM needing to get a little more creative and coming up with ideas to improve the game especially career mode to stop it getting stale that's what's needed right now. Other yearly release games manage this. Fifa 15 for example has had a lot of improvements made to it this year in comparison to last. I know that game's made by EA and they have tonnes of resources to throw at the game but still it shows that if your clever and resourceful enough it can be done. Given the fact CM don't have as much as EA to work with a little by little approach will always be the best way but it can happen. Maybe just add 1 or 2 bigger ideas instead of several smaller ones. One things for sure though I hope career mode gets looked at and upgraded for 2015 because the series badly needs it.

I don't know why people want things like GP2 when Codemasters can barely get F1 right. And the comments about next-gen not being able to focus on career, were they from posters on here or from Codemasters themselves?

I don't see why they couldn't work on career. The question is if they will bother much. I don't think they will for the first game.

It would be more likely that GP2 or GP3 would get their own game before being added to an F1 game.

If they were allowed to add them in then the game would no longer be called "F1" either.

More seasons is more likely (Still wanting to play 2007-2009 on console) since it's been done in the past before.

That being said, more seasons or feeder series aren't completely necessary to making the career better. The addition of things such as pre-season/in-season testing, having a more in depth R&D system (Eg. A rival team might be lingering around 16th one race, then they bring an update and can suddenly fight for points until other teams catch back up again) etc. would go a long way toward helping.

It would be more likely that GP2 or GP3 would get their own game before being added to an F1 game.

If they were allowed to add them in then the game would no longer be called "F1" either.

More seasons is more likely (Still wanting to play 2007-2009 on console) since it's been done in the past before.

That being said, more seasons or feeder series aren't completely necessary to making the career better. The addition of things such as pre-season/in-season testing, having a more in depth R&D system (Eg. A rival team might be lingering around 16th one race, then they bring an update and can suddenly fight for points until other teams catch back up again) etc. would go a long way toward helping.

I agree Wynter it'll more than likely be done as it's own game or as a DLC more than likely DLC as they wouldn't really have to build the tracks given they use the same tracks as F1 does. So in this instance they'd only need to build the cars in the game. I agree it would certainly expand/improve the game by including them as it would provide more options for the player but I don't think it's likely to happen mostly due to cost of licensing. I think the majority agree that career mode needs an upgrade and soon it's just a question of what will CM do to help the series move forward from this point. Because now we're switching to next gen the next 2 games will be extremely important in defining where the series goes from here. I think they can be forgiven for any slipups on the 2015 game given it'll be the first next gen effort as long as they show they are making an effort but if progress in this area isn't shown by 2016 people will most likely start to turn away and give up on it.

I say the next 2 as being 2015/16 because 2014 is basically a patched up 2013 essentially to meet the contractual obligations so I'm writing that game off in this instance. But 15 and 16 will be the first 2 of the next gen era and seeing as their mostly focused on building up a new engine to support the games we can't expect too  much  other than the basics to be covered for 2015 maybe 1/2 experimental features but nothing too big. Whereas 2016 will be like Fifa 15 where they'll be able to try and show off what they have in mind with the new engine and let the full power of the new engine come out. This is assuming that the series continues on beyond 2015 anyhow.

Hi Guys,

appreciate your comments.

I have to say that I'm sick to the back teeth of hearing about 'licencing issues' and can already see that this won't wash any more with most F1 fans. I'll be honest, I will be buying F1 2014 and 2015 and will be giving them every chance. Not expecting much from 2014, but hoping to see some new ideas towards 2015. I'm expecting 2015 to be groundbreaking though and if Codies don't get it right that will be me done with the series.

Look, if Codies want to take single seat/open wheel motorsport to the next level they need to work with FOM and to invest in the licenses needed to fulfill fans' expectations and stop saying 'we cant do this, we cant do that' and wanorac said this Steve said that. Well they can say what they want, but if this game doesn't go somewhere in the next 12 months many will give up on it. I don't think that GP2/3 generates enough interest to be a game on its own and needs to be integrated into the 'F1' series (obviously the game would then not be called 'F1'. I think this would be a winner for codies and FOM as it would give the game what it needs and promote the GP series (which incidentally I think is much needed). It already has been said that the game probably won't be called 'F1 2015' and I guess I'm hoping that it has something to do with integrating the GP series, but I'm probably wrong. It just seems silly as I can only see 'good' coming out of this for both the game and FOM!? Let's be honest, Codies have built up expectations themselves by saying they are 'cooking up a storm' for 2014/15 and they really need to live up to this. Too many simple request are met with a 'no' from Codies and if 2015 does not step up to the mark I fear that it will be the end of the F1 series under Codemasters. If licencing was such an issue would games like GT exist with 1000's of cars and championship options? If 'names' of drivers and teams are an issue why not have a career option with superficial team names and driver names where drivers can move teams? I would be happy with that as an 'option' within the game.

Believe me, this is not just a post to have a go at codies and we should be careful what we wish for. There are many reasons why I want them to keep the series. Firstly, they are fairly local to where I live which is cool and I think many of the aspects of the game are excellent. I also don't really want to go through years of some other company picking the game up and possibly a huge backwards step, to me there's no doubt that losing codies' experience would be a huge blow to F1 fans who have enjoyed the F1 video game series. Finally there is the risk that nobody picks the game up at all!

Dean 

Hi Guys,

appreciate your comments.

I have to say that I'm sick to the back teeth of hearing about 'licencing issues' and can already see that this won't wash any more with most F1 fans. I'll be honest, I will be buying F1 2014 and 2015 and will be giving them every chance. Not expecting much from 2014, but hoping to see some new ideas towards 2015. I'm expecting 2015 to be groundbreaking though and if Codies don't get it right that will be me done with the series.

Look, if Codies want to take single seat/open wheel motorsport to the next level they need to work with FOM and to invest in the licenses needed to fulfill fans' expectations and stop saying 'we cant do this, we cant do that' and wanorac said this Steve said that. Well they can say what they want, but if this game doesn't go somewhere in the next 12 months many will give up on it. I don't think that GP2/3 generates enough interest to be a game on its own and needs to be integrated into the 'F1' series (obviously the game would then not be called 'F1'. I think this would be a winner for codies and FOM as it would give the game what it needs and promote the GP series (which incidentally I think is much needed). It already has been said that the game probably won't be called 'F1 2015' and I guess I'm hoping that it has something to do with integrating the GP series, but I'm probably wrong. It just seems silly as I can only see 'good' coming out of this for both the game and FOM!? Let's be honest, Codies have built up expectations themselves by saying they are 'cooking up a storm' for 2014/15 and they really need to live up to this. Too many simple request are met with a 'no' from Codies and if 2015 does not step up to the mark I fear that it will be the end of the F1 series under Codemasters. If licencing was such an issue would games like GT exist with 1000's of cars and championship options? If 'names' of drivers and teams are an issue why not have a career option with superficial team names and driver names where drivers can move teams? I would be happy with that as an 'option' within the game.

Believe me, this is not just a post to have a go at codies and we should be careful what we wish for. There are many reasons why I want them to keep the series. Firstly, they are fairly local to where I live which is cool and I think many of the aspects of the game are excellent. I also don't really want to go through years of some other company picking the game up and possibly a huge backwards step, to me there's no doubt that losing codies' experience would be a huge blow to F1 fans who have enjoyed the F1 video game series. Finally there is the risk that nobody picks the game up at all!

Dean 

I don't think the licensing excuse is as easy to brush off as you would like. Unfortunately this is the way the world works, FIA and FOM want money. To get the license of GP2 and 3 would cost money, then it would cost more time and money to develop those series, and you can say, oh but if they spend more time and money they'll have a better game, so therefore more sales. A better game is no gurantee of better sales, and I've explained this in other threads. Hypotheticaly speaking, just because a company spends 10% more on their next game in a series, doesn't mean they'll have a 10% increase in sales.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I assume you're talking about the games made by Simbin, such as GTR 2 and Race07, those games were made a long time ago, when games were less popular so the licenses may have cost less, and also the series they feature are less popular, so probably cost less. Not to mention those games are largely the same, just copy and paste, and most of Race07's content comes from the expansion packs which cost less to develop than new games.

I think you answered your own question as to why GP2/3 aren't in the game, because they don't generate enough interest to be financially viable I imagine. Out of my group of friends who watch F1, I'm the only one who follows GP2/3, and I'd say most of my friends who follow F1 probably follow the sport a bit more closely than the average fan. I would like GP2&3 feeder series in the games as well, and I hope they'll happen in 2015, but I don't think it's as easy as "work with FOM and to invest in the licenses".

Would investing in the feeder series give them a bigger profit? Probably not. Most of us on this forum want it, but unfortunately the people on this forum are a minority. Most of the consumers will probably be people who enjoy F1 but don't take it as seriously as the people on this forum, and are happy with a more arcadey racer.

I don't want this post to come across as bashing you, because I do agree with a lot of your ideas, but I think a lot of people need to consider that Codemasters are a business and if they can't make a profit, then they probably won't make it

You honestly think people will buy a GP2/GP3 game? You have constantly preached how Codemasters can only survive financially if they churn out generic arcade-centric F1 games as opposed to going down the simulation route, how the hell do you expect them to make money on a stand alone arcade-centric kid friendly game representing a series no one follows? 

Yeah, I did many career seasons in 2010 & 2011. I also completed one season in 2012 but there were a lot of bugs and it seemed much the same in all the games. I did spend a lot of time customizing my setups then, but I grew tired of it. Then in 2012 and 2013, I just used the quick car setup and G.P. mode to stop myself from dominating the game.

One thing I don't like about career mode is that there seems to be a breaking point. If you can't make it past the breaking point in the season, you can't get R&D upgrades and you will fail in the game. But if you get past the breaking point, then you start getting all the upgrades and you beat your teammate all the time. Then the game gets way too easy, like winning races all the time especially with a customized setup. There seems to be no middle ground where there's good, constant competition with realistic results.

I like to play offline, single player and finding the correct AI competition is everything to me. With GP mode, AI competition is constant since there are no R&D upgrades to deal with. However, AI competition will still vary from track to track. With GP mode, I can do one race at a time. I have my own Excel file championship table where I track all the results. Over time, my skills improved. Then I gradually increased the AI accordingly at a particular track judging from my past history.

I never did 2013 career but from the past, achieving or failing targets mean absolutely nothing. Because if you meet your team's target, their next target will be greater & greater and more ambitious until you're forced to fail at some point. Then after you fail, there are no consequences except they relax on your next target & make it easier (just ridiculous). However, meeting your R&D objectives are everything (along with winning in the overall teammate challenge). You can't win in career until you do. But therein lies the problem. You start achieving all your R&D's and you start steamrolling to a point where it gets too easy and it's no longer fun.

In 2012, I completed 10.5 GP mode seasons(25% race). Almost a season with every team, cockpit view.

Okay, I just completed my first 2013 career mode race(50%). I chose to race for Red Bull and used quick car setup. I admit that it has definitely gotten tougher than 2012. And safety car came out on lap 8, as teammate Vettel had to retire:

R&D target        Result

Qualy:             2nd                   4th

Race:               Win                  2nd

It was fun

Okay, I just completed my first 2013 career mode race(50%). I chose to race for Red Bull and used quick car setup. I admit that it has definitely gotten tougher than 2012. And safety car came out on lap 8, as teammate Vettel had to retire:

R&D target        Result

It was fun

yeah 2013 is definitely a tough game to master I still have trouble with it now. I prefer the earlier games. i'll still play 2013 from time to time but tbh I prefer the way 2010-12 play currently doing a career on 2010 again. Still only in my first season but I'm enjoying it.

R&D target        Result

It was fun

Update FYI...

Despite missing both RB targets at Australia, I still continued on just using quick car setup. And even though no car upgrades were made, the results at Malaysia were as follows:

Target                   Result

Qualy               2nd                       Pole

Race                 Win                      Win

Okay, I'm starting to steamroll already. I won the race by 29 seconds. I take back my earlier thoughts about 2013 getting tougher, it's still the same as before. It's just that in 2013, you can start in year one in a stronger team like RB and Mercedes with tougher targets. I think I will go back to G.P. mode.

MUZZARIOL said:

You honestly think people will buy a GP2/GP3 game? You have constantly preached how Codemasters can only survive financially if they churn out generic arcade-centric F1 games as opposed to going down the simulation route, how the hell do you expect them to make money on a stand alone arcade-centric kid friendly game representing a series no one follows? 

No and I didn't say they would either. I simply said it would be more likely to happen than them being added to the F1 series. In other words: It won't happen.

Nor have I at any point brought up money as a reason behind any of the choices made. Don't put words into my mouth. 

I strongly advise reading posts before making wild comments that make you look silly.

R&D target        Result

It was fun

Update FYI...

Despite missing both RB targets at Australia, I still continued on just using quick car setup. And even though no car upgrades were made, the results at Malaysia were as follows:

Target                   Result

Qualy               2nd                       Pole

Race                 Win                      Win

Okay, I'm starting to steamroll already. I won the race by 29 seconds. I take back my earlier thoughts about 2013 getting tougher, it's still the same as before. It's just that in 2013, you can start in year one in a stronger team like RB and Mercedes with tougher targets. I think I will go back to G.P. mode.

@Seabast318‌ the a.I on Malaysia have always been painfully slow for me. I can win in a Marussia on Legend at Malaysia, I'd say stick with it. In my opinion Australia, Malaysia and Abu Dhabi are the 3 circuits where the A.I are really weak

@Seabast318‌ the a.I on Malaysia have always been painfully slow for me. I can win in a Marussia on Legend at Malaysia, I'd say stick with it. In my opinion Australia, Malaysia and Abu Dhabi are the 3 circuits where the A.I are really weak

See, this is where you and I differ. I find no joy at all where I get pole and win the race by 29 seconds. It was an absolute snooze-fest and I don't want any of my races to be like this. I'd much rather drive a mid-tier car and scrap for a points finish. And it's impossible to calibrate tracks according to AI competition in career b/c of the R&D parts upgrade factor.

But I do really enjoy 50% race length and car damage on. I will incorporate these into my GP races.

See, this is where you and I differ. I find no joy at all where I get pole and win the race by 29 seconds. It was an absolute snooze-fest and I don't want any of my races to be like this. I'd much rather drive a mid-tier car and scrap for a points finish. And it's impossible to calibrate tracks according to AI competition in career b/c of the R&D parts upgrade factor.

But I do really enjoy 50% race length and car damage on. I will incorporate these into my GP races.

I never said I enjoy it. I said stick with it because Malaysia is easy.

China is harder, I enjoy being in the midfield, I was just saying don't get disheartened because one race was too easy 

I think career mode is best if you enjoy working on car setups. If you like being both the driver and the mechanic/engineer, although I still think it will get too easy throughout the season with upgrades. Grand Prix mode is best is you just like being the driver. I just like to use the quick car setup and drive.

MUZZARIOL said:

No and I didn't say they would either. I simply said it would be more likely to happen than them being added to the F1 series. In other words: It won't happen.

Nor have I at any point brought up money as a reason behind any of the choices made. Don't put words into my mouth. 

I strongly advise reading posts before making wild comments that make you look silly.

Fair point. you're certainly right, it wont happen in any capacity frankly.

You have commented multiple times saying Codemasters wont make money and cant afford to release more realistic "sim" type F1 games, you're only lying to yourself if you deny that Wynterdust. I dont care how I look Wynterdust, I dont have the same degree of forum vanity that you seem to, so please stop pointing out how peoples posts are making them look, it serves no purpose