Jump to content Jump to content

Unlimited flashback. yes or no?

This is really the only question I'd like answered. I really enjoy this in Grid: Autosport (I'm tend to make a lot of mistakes, this enabled me to enjoy the 5x races without getting annoyed by stupid small mistakes) the previous titles had a max of 4 flashbacks, and therefore I can only race 25% distance in those games, but I'd really like to race 100% races. If 2014 offers this: Insta-buy!. If it doesn't I see no reason to buy this game.

This is really the only question I'd like answered. I really enjoy this in Grid: Autosport (I'm tend to make a lot of mistakes, this enabled me to enjoy the 5x races without getting annoyed by stupid small mistakes) the previous titles had a max of 4 flashbacks, and therefore I can only race 25% distance in those games, but I'd really like to race 100% races. If 2014 offers this: Insta-buy!. If it doesn't I see no reason to buy this game.

If this is the reason why you would or wouldn't buy F1 2014, then just step away from the computer and go do something else and forget about it. Honestly, people like you are why the series has turned to garbage.

I personally don't like them and turn them off as I find it ruins the immersion. It doesn't encourage players to play properly as they know they can drive like a lunatic and just rewind if they make a mess. It feels a lot better playing the game knowing that one mistake will ruin your race.

Then again, it is a good feature for newer players or those that do make more mistakes. As taboo as it is to say around here, it's something that needs to be present for the casual players.

I think the flashback system will remain as is for 2014 given that they're just wanting it out the door with as little fuss as possible so they can focus on next gen the only additions to the game we can expect that haven't been mentioned is the addition of the Austrian and Russian tracks and the new car paint jobs. Aside from that it'll be 2013 all over again.

Personally I think I wou8ld probably leave the system as is anyway because although I do use them I like the challenge of trying to get through with as few uses as possible as I wouldn't want to become too reliant on them. If you make a mistake fine but it keeps you sharp as you can't afford to do it too often what with that and the penalty system I think it's best left as it is

^ I feel Codemasters should make unlimited flashbacks optional. The more options for people the better as everyones different. For some reason they seem to have the mentality that people arent capable of making their own decisions with how they want to play the game

as mentioned, I can still run 25% races with 4 flashbacks, which means I make maybe 4 mistakes in 20 minutes, sometimes even less. I always drive the full fp and make the most out of qualy. I wouldn't consider myself a lunatic or go as far as saying that I don't want to learn (or intend to ruin the series). If the game would offer unlimited flashbacks, and I'd run 100% races, I won't change my approach or driving style. But I'll be able to run the full races.

Like I said, I don't consider making 4 mistakes in 20 minutes ' bad driving'. Maybe, in 100% races, I only rewind 10 times or so. But since that option isn't available, I can't do this. That's the only reason why I want this option. And how would one simple option ruin the game?

Wouldn't this just encourage players to disable more and more assists, and learn how to drive without brake assist, ABS and even TC? When I first started F1 2012, I never played a reaching game without brake assist. Now I do without BA and ABS (only make up to 4 errors in 25% races).

if CM won't add this, I guess I'll download some mods on F1 2013, and keep playing that jewel.

They need to fix the flashbacks affecting the AI when you use them. If you don't know what I mean, watch an AI car go around a corner normally then use one and stop it when an AI car is in the breaking zone of the corner, most of the time they will either run off the track or screw up their racing line and lose time.

Original poster could very well be trolling. This phrase alone may hint toward this possibility:
______________________________________________________________________________________

RobertKNL2 said:

"I'd really like to race 100% races. If 2014 offers this: Insta-buy!. If it doesn't I see no reason to buy this game."

_______________________________________________________________________________________

There was some heated discussion in the GAS forum on this subject, and I think he just wants to repeat here now, just for the lolz while he's called noob, scrub, go play barbies instead, etc.

On the other hand, If true this dude can't do races longer than 25% because of the low number of flashbacks available...., that could mean either he's some serious problems or disabilities, or that he's just an attention seeker.

I don't think it would hurt anyone to have unlimited flashbacks. I've been playing Codies F1 games since 2010 and I've always chosen the max amount of flashbacks. I don't necessarily use them at all but it's nice to have them there if something stupid happens. If the AI is able to cheat or gain unfair advantages then why can't I? Also the invisible walls, crazy penalties and other bugs are a very valid reason to use them.

Even though I have the flashbacks available, I very rarely use them after I've made a dumb mistake which I know to be 100% my fault. 

Also correct me if I'm wrong but I remember on multiple occasions having more than 4 flashbacks in 100% races in F1 2013. I know for a fact that I've used for example 2 flashbacks before lap 25/78 and then maybe on the 44th lap I need to use one again and I notice I still have 4 available flashbacks. Might just be a bug but it certainly has happened.

CM is adding a new 'really easy' difficulty level on the game. So they might give people on this level more flashbacks 

Doubt it as the Amateur level has never had more than 4 in any of the games. that'll be AI pace that is mentioned there with v easy I think. Given that's what was tweaked upwards in 2013 which is what I and several others complained about last year

Don't forget that F1 2013 introduced mid-session saves... Not quite as instantaneous as flashbacks, but can still be used to get you through an 'eventful' 100% race if you remember to save every few laps.

true but many people would complain that it is troublesome and ruins the game etc. I don't see the problem of unlimited flashbacks cos you can just turn them off if you don't like them

I think flashback is a great tool to use in time trial when learning a new track, but I don't like to use it in races because I feel it spoils the racing experience. 

I don't see any problem in having unlimited flashbacks, other people using unlimited flashbacks won't affect the way I play my game, flashbacks cannot be used in multiplayer or to cheat in the time trial & RaceNet leaderboards, so it's no big deal to me.

Don't forget that F1 2013 introduced mid-session saves... Not quite as instantaneous as flashbacks, but can still be used to get you through an 'eventful' 100% race if you remember to save every few laps.

true but many people would complain that it is troublesome and ruins the game etc. I don't see the problem of unlimited flashbacks cos you can just turn them off if you don't like them

Not disagreeing, really just pointing out to the OP that unlimited flashbacks shouldn't necessarily be a make-or-break buying decision as there other ways to get through a 100% race even if you're prone to race-ending mistakes.

I was never a huge fan of flashbacks myself (the only reason I use them is to rescind retarded penalties). Making mistakes is part of racing, and its like, if you can't handle mistakes - making them and making up for them - why are you playing a racing game? Unlimited flashbacks would be really troublesome, because it means you can make tons of mistakes and you're like "oh, that's alright, just use flashback again". Players will become extremely lazy in that respect because they'll end up using flashbacks for the tiniest mistakes, and by the end, due to the flashbacks you've been using, you will have been driving a perfect race, and I can't see the fun of making everything perfect all the time. 

Flashbacks are fine for much more casual gamers if you crash out of the race, because if you're in it for driving a car fast rather than an F1 racing experience you're not going to care much about terminal damage and that sort of thing. Unlimited flashbacks would be taking things way too far, because it places too much discouragement on making mistakes. You need to make mistakes to learn from them and therefore stop doing them.

Mexicola said:

I was never a huge fan of flashbacks myself (the only reason I use them is to rescind retarded penalties). Making mistakes is part of racing, and its like, if you can't handle mistakes - making them and making up for them - why are you playing a racing game? Unlimited flashbacks would be really troublesome, because it means you can make tons of mistakes and you're like "oh, that's alright, just use flashback again". Players will become extremely lazy in that respect because they'll end up using flashbacks for the tiniest mistakes, and by the end, due to the flashbacks you've been using, you will have been driving a perfect race, and I can't see the fun of making everything perfect all the time. 

Flashbacks are fine for much more casual gamers if you crash out of the race, because if you're in it for driving a car fast rather than an F1 racing experience you're not going to care much about terminal damage and that sort of thing. Unlimited flashbacks would be taking things way too far, because it places too much discouragement on making mistakes. You need to make mistakes to learn from them and therefore stop doing them.

Agreed, but sometimes you need them due to stupid bugs..

Of course there should definitely be unlimited flashbacks/rewinds in single-player offline events.

Why not? It takes absolutely nothing away from those who prefer not to use them, while also making the game feel more fun & forgiving for those who are learning or just want to have fun. It's win/win for everybody: hardcore elitists don't have to use them if they don't want to, while beginners & casuals can use them all they want.

Some claim that players who use flashbacks don't learn. I think the opposite is true. I think flashbacks are a great learning tool because they speed up the learning process exponentially.

For example... If I'm trying to find a good braking point for a turn & I overshoot without a flashback, I won't get another shot at that same turn until my next lap, which may not be for at least another 90 seconds (maybe longer), depending on the length of the circuit. 
Multiply that over 19+ tracks, each with at least a dozen or more turns, and it can take quite a while to learn every turn on every track...

...With flashbacks, I can instantly try the same turn again & again until I find the sweet spot. What I just learned in 20 seconds or less through the use of a few flashbacks would have taken at least another 5 minutes (or longer) to learn if I had to drive 3 more laps just to get 3 more attempts at that same turn.

It's simple maths: with flashbacks, I can
condense more attempts into less time, learning better lines far quicker than I would without flashbacks. I get to be a better racer sooner than I would have been without using flashbacks. How is that a bad thing?

Besides, who cares how many flashbacks other people decide to use in the single-player offline side of the game? It's their game & they should be able to play it whichever way they enjoy it most.

Any time we are competing against other people, as we would for leaderboard positions or in multiplayer lobbies, then there definitely need to be constraints in place to ensure a level playing field so that no players have any unfair advantages over others. But single-player offline modes (or even user-hosted unranked multiplayer modes) should be less constrained & more customizable because it opens up more possibilities & extends the replayable life of the game.

Elitism in video games is just silly. I never subscribed to the thinking that
games are supposed to be difficult & punishing. The games I've always played most are the ones I found to be the most fun.

When I feel like playing a game, I want to relax on the couch & have a good time, not get constantly punished. When I feel like "hardcore & realistic" experiences with real consequences, I turn off the games & go do real things.

Honestly, even though I only very rarely use flashbacks in GRID games (and it's probably the same if I get my hands on a F1 game), I see no point in limiting the number of flashbacks.

Here's how I learned how to get around some of the awkwardness that comes with Codies' modern games (GRID and after): Did I do something really retarded? Yes? Okay, flashback and remember for future instances what is the right way and what is the wrong way to do that corner.

Ten seconds (if that) of waiting for the right place to flashback beats restarting the race and slugging it out through sections I already know.

It's also useful for those cases when Ravenwest or Team Kicker's drivers decide it's a good idea to T-bone me into the nearest barrier.

I'm a "nearly-hardcore" racing game player, but I think it's silly trying to make the single-player's easiest mode harder for the sake of making it harder. Most of you are probably playing the hardest difficulty these games have to offer anyways, but not everyone is a Ravenwest-stomping ace driver; that's a pretty unfair skill bar to expect newbies to meet.