Jump to content Jump to content

Unlimited flashback. yes or no?

Like others have said I do not use them for my own mistakes thats just part of racing and driving within your own limits imo but I will use them If a bk marker blocks me and I get the pen or something similar. Im not sure on the 25% races but on the 100% races they do come back after a few laps so technicaly they are unlimited but I see no reason codemasters couldnt just give ppl the CHOICE of unlimited flashbacks and keep everyone happy.

I actually would like the opposite. No flash back like a 'hard core' mode. If you make a mistake, recover it like real F1 drivers do. Not against unlimited flash back (though it would mean that you would spend more time correcting mistakes than driving?). But I have been thinking of no flash back feature for quite some time. Since 2012 actually, lol. 

But that is already there tho and every other game that has ever had flashbacks (that ive played) What ive always thought would be cool for a harcore mode is no restarting sessions or quitting and doing the same race again, Soon as you start a session what happens happens and no changing the outcome. Course you would need a game that was 100% tested so prob never going to happen but just something that would make me think a bit more about how I race on times :)

great comments everybody! Once I'm back home (I'm on an amazing road trip through Germany right now :) ), I'll try my hand at a 100% race in F1 2012 or 2013. I have noticed some kind of regeneration system on the 25% races (when I make a mistake after an 8 lap streak), so maybe this will also help me through the 100% races.

it's great to see that a lot of people ( even the hardcore racers among you) agree that there should be an option for unlimited flashbacks. Now just wait and hope that @Hatta picks up on this thread and is able to comment on whether we'll see this in F1 2014

Operator1 said:

Of course there should definitely be unlimited flashbacks/rewinds in single-player offline events.

Why not? It takes absolutely nothing away from those who prefer not to use them, while also making the game feel more fun & forgiving for those who are learning or just want to have fun. It's win/win for everybody: hardcore elitists don't have to use them if they don't want to, while beginners & casuals can use them all they want.

Some claim that players who use flashbacks don't learn. I think the opposite is true. I think flashbacks are a great learning tool because they speed up the learning process exponentially.

For example... If I'm trying to find a good braking point for a turn & I overshoot without a flashback, I won't get another shot at that same turn until my next lap, which may not be for at least another 90 seconds (maybe longer), depending on the length of the circuit. 
Multiply that over 19+ tracks, each with at least a dozen or more turns, and it can take quite a while to learn every turn on every track...

...With flashbacks, I can instantly try the same turn again & again until I find the sweet spot. What I just learned in 20 seconds or less through the use of a few flashbacks would have taken at least another 5 minutes (or longer) to learn if I had to drive 3 more laps just to get 3 more attempts at that same turn.

It's simple maths: with flashbacks, I can
condense more attempts into less time, learning better lines far quicker than I would without flashbacks. I get to be a better racer sooner than I would have been without using flashbacks. How is that a bad thing?

Besides, who cares how many flashbacks other people decide to use in the single-player offline side of the game? It's their game & they should be able to play it whichever way they enjoy it most.

Any time we are competing against other people, as we would for leaderboard positions or in multiplayer lobbies, then there definitely need to be constraints in place to ensure a level playing field so that no players have any unfair advantages over others. But single-player offline modes (or even user-hosted unranked multiplayer modes) should be less constrained & more customizable because it opens up more possibilities & extends the replayable life of the game.

Elitism in video games is just silly. I never subscribed to the thinking that
games are supposed to be difficult & punishing. The games I've always played most are the ones I found to be the most fun.

When I feel like playing a game, I want to relax on the couch & have a good time, not get constantly punished. When I feel like "hardcore & realistic" experiences with real consequences, I turn off the games & go do real things.

You forget one thing - we don't have access to F1 cars in real life, nor the circuits. We play these games because our (well, at least for myself) dream is motorsports. It's our passion, and if we want a challenge presented to us in a virtual motorsporting world, there's no reason why we shouldn't have it. That's our "fun". Competitive, fast, roaring, white-knuckled motor-racing. There's no other way we can access this. 

Personally, I believe you (along with many others) don't understand this because you don't have a racer's mentality or a true passion and desire for the sport. 

Excuse any sort of negative tone or ranting, but it's hard to be forgiving when so many others don't bother to "step in someone else's shoes".

...Personally, I believe you (along with many others) don't understand this because you don't have a racer's mentality or a true passion and desire for the sport...

Personally, I believe you (along with many others) don't understand this because you don't have a mature adult's mentality... You seem to think that video games should have high barriers to entry just to keep others who you deem less deserving out of your little virtual clubhouse.

Why would I be here on a racing game forum if I didn't share similar passions for motorsport & gaming? I've driven high performance cars on race tracks & I love emulating those types of experiences in video games...

...I can also distinguish between reality & gaming. If a motorsport game was truly "realistic," then it would shut itself off after a crash & not allow you to play it again for at least 60 days while you recover from injuries - but I doubt many people would buy & play any game that had such severe consequences. Immersion is only fun up to a point.

Many real-world F1 drivers started young with kart racing - they were initially inexperienced & hungry to learn, and the consequences for errors in kart racing are much less severe than the consequences at 200 MPH in an multi-million-dollar Formula One car. They weren't just born with world-class ability to expertly drive modern marvels of engineering without any prior practice. They polished their craft in environments that were less risky until they developed the skill necessary to handle the high-stakes environment of global competition... Features like flashbacks in video games allow a similar type of low-risk progression for gamers, without taking away any of the high-risk challenge for more serious competitors.

...if we want a challenge presented to us in a virtual motorsporting world, there's no reason why we shouldn't have it...

How would unlimited flashbacks take that away from you? You are never forced to press that flashback button. It's entirely optional. Why would you care so much about how many flashbacks other people use in their single-player offline games?

...it's hard to be forgiving when so many others don't bother to "step in someone else's shoes".

How about you take your own advice & "step in someone else's shoes" by imagining countless others who also love motorsport & gaming, but who perhaps haven't honed professional-grade MLG-level dexterity with a game controller? Are we all supposed to pass a test first that evaluates whether or not we possess sufficient surgical precision to deserve the privilege of buying & playing the single-player offline modes of a game? Did you set a global #1 leaderboard time the very first time you ever picked up a controller & played a racing game?

Operator1 said:

...Personally, I believe you (along with many others) don't understand this because you don't have a racer's mentality or a true passion and desire for the sport...

Personally, I believe you (along with many others) don't understand this because you don't have a mature adult's mentality... You seem to think that video games should have high barriers to entry just to keep others who you deem less deserving out of your little virtual clubhouse.

Why would I be here on a racing game forum if I didn't share similar passions for motorsport & gaming? I've driven high performance cars on race tracks & I love emulating those types of experiences in video games...

...I can also distinguish between reality & gaming. If a motorsport game was truly "realistic," then it would shut itself off after a crash & not allow you to play it again for at least 60 days while you recover from injuries - but I doubt many people would buy & play any game that had such severe consequences. Immersion is only fun up to a point.

Many real-world F1 drivers started young with kart racing - they were initially inexperienced & hungry to learn, and the consequences for errors in kart racing are much less severe than the consequences at 200 MPH in an multi-million-dollar Formula One car. They weren't just born with world-class ability to expertly drive modern marvels of engineering without any prior practice. They polished their craft in environments that were less risky until they developed the skill necessary to handle the high-stakes environment of global competition... Features like flashbacks in video games allow a similar type of low-risk progression for gamers, without taking away any of the high-risk challenge for more serious competitors.

...if we want a challenge presented to us in a virtual motorsporting world, there's no reason why we shouldn't have it...

How would unlimited flashbacks take that away from you? You are never forced to press that flashback button. It's entirely optional. Why would you care so much about how many flashbacks other people use in their single-player offline games?

...it's hard to be forgiving when so many others don't bother to "step in someone else's shoes".

How about you take your own advice & "step in someone else's shoes" by imagining countless others who also love motorsport & gaming, but who perhaps haven't honed professional-grade MLG-level dexterity with a game controller? Are we all supposed to pass a test first that evaluates whether or not we possess sufficient surgical precision to deserve the privilege of buying & playing the single-player offline modes of a game? Did you set a global #1 leaderboard time the very first time you ever picked up a controller & played a racing game?

Mostly TL:DR but yeah, I do think that this game should have higher barriers because I'm tired of being punted off by nascars. Try having a single clean race online in an open lobby. Definitely not possible on PS3 or X360.

What does the whole "shut off for 60 days for recovery" have to do with anything? I see no relevancy to the discussion at hand.

I didn't mean the flashbacks when I was talking about challenges. When I think of flashbacks I just think of laziness. 

That's why they have assists.

And you can stop bashing my "little virtual clubhouse" anytime.