Sign in to follow this  

Need tips on F1 2013 no assist race start!

Hi. I have been a huge fan of F1 2012 and played with no assist in both PC and PS3 versions. Yesterday I bought F1 2013 PC version (Steam sales hooray). I feel that I am not doing that good in starting in this version (with no assist), especially in wet. 

What I usually do is hold the rev just before hitting purple at start. Once the car starts rolling forward, I graduately increase the rev till around 120 kph. Then shift to 2nd gear. Right now, my 2nd gear seems to be purple immediately. Likely due to losing traction. In any case, I am slower than the AI cars around me. Any help would be much appreciated! Thank you. 

I personally dont compare myself against the AI as they use all the assists so not really a fair comparison imo. What I normally do is hold approx 25% throttle so all lights are lit up (not bouncing tho) then as the lights go out increase slowly as I get more traction through the gears. Some will say 100% throttle works just as good mind but I do feel being patient on that pedal does pay off. Easy way to practice starts tho is to use tt mode and go into neutral build the revs and see what works and what doesnt for getting a good launch. Not that helpfull I know but its hard to explain for me :) One more thing, I usually only deploy kers when full throttle tho (3rd gear normally) other wise it  will cause me to have more wheel spin

Well wot I do is floor it @ the lights till about 80 kph then I shift up to 2 and then apply some keys from 3rd gear till I feel I am level with the ai's speed... Watch YouTube videos, I studied tiametmarduck's videos, his starts are usually good

vtidixon said:

I personally dont compare myself against the AI as they use all the assists so not really a fair comparison imo. What I normally do is hold approx 25% throttle so all lights are lit up (not bouncing tho) then as the lights go out increase slowly as I get more traction through the gears. Some will say 100% throttle works just as good mind but I do feel being patient on that pedal does pay off. Easy way to practice starts tho is to use tt mode and go into neutral build the revs and see what works and what doesnt for getting a good launch. Not that helpfull I know but its hard to explain for me :) One more thing, I usually only deploy kers when full throttle tho (3rd gear normally) other wise it  will cause me to have more wheel spin

Thanks for the reply! OK. KERS on 3rd gear seems like a really good advice. Cheers. I also find that the pickup for 3rd gear seems slow. And burning KERS on 1st or 2nd gear seems to send the rev straight to purple. 

Maybe I shall start with 25% throttle. Full throttle worked in F1 2012. It doesn't seem to work that well in this edition. 

stiker said:
Well wot I do is floor it @ the lights till about 80 kph then I shift up to 2 and then apply some keys from 3rd gear till I feel I am level with the ai's speed... Watch YouTube videos, I studied tiametmarduck's videos, his starts are usually good

Interesting. May I know at what speed you shift to 3rd gear, since I presume your rev would be purple for the first two gears. 

Oh yes. I remember watching his videos back in 2012. I enjoyed watching them. It is not easy to decipher what people actually do to their throttle at start. At least for me. 

Not just his starts! Ben is alien when it comes to F1 vids :) The best ive seen tho are alex gillion and ownage, all 3 have some good tips on how to become a better driver in the game. Ownage is my fav tho as he is the only one who plays in cockpit cam! Bk to topic tho lol If your revs are dropping when going into 3rd its because you are still getting wheelspin in second and  the revs will be higher due to that. The revs should climb normally if you arent getting wheel spin of the line. Soon as your off the line just apply the throttle as you would coming out of a first gear hairpin normally

edit- alex uses a mod that shows similar fom telemetry so you can see exactly what he does with throttle and break

vtidixon said:

Not just his starts! Ben is alien when it comes to F1 vids :) The best ive seen tho are alex gillion and ownage, all 3 have some good tips on how to become a better driver in the game. Ownage is my fav tho as he is the only one who plays in cockpit cam! Bk to topic tho lol If your revs are dropping when going into 3rd its because you are still getting wheelspin in second and  the revs will be higher due to that. The revs should climb normally if you arent getting wheel spin of the line. Soon as your off the line just apply the throttle as you would coming out of a first gear hairpin normally

edit- alex uses a mod that shows similar fom telemetry so you can see exactly what he does with throttle and break

Oh yes. I enjoy Alex's videos too. I have got to check out Ownage. 

I think we ought to have that mod as default UI, with G force too. That would just be like TV! OK. You've reminded me. I shall try cockpit view this season. I have always wanted to do it.  

i only study 1st gear, how fast I shift from 3rd depends on how well I am moving and distance to the 1st corner...

Hmmm cockpit view, that I another thing entirely....

You can practice your race starts in free practice session, pull up on the grid, make sure your well off the racing line and do your race starts. The only thing that happens is you get yellow flags.

automa said:

You can practice your race starts in free practice session, pull up on the grid, make sure your well off the racing line and do your race starts. The only thing that happens is you get yellow flags.

Oh yes. Like how Alonso used to practice on his legendary start! Good tip. Cheers.