Sign in to follow this  

Formula 1 2014 Belgian Grand Prix

mike96 said:
AMS97KRR said:

https://twitter.com/willbuxton/status/503581862087127041 

Oh , and this gonna end really badly. At least 1 free seat at Merc for next year. Maybe Vettel there ?

110% yes

I cannot see them keeping this going for another year. 

110% No :p 

I hear Alonso is looking at his options for next season ;)

He was actually talking with Red Bull last night :p

Well with the 0.5 that Alonso brings to any team, Alonso WDC 2015 ;)

No, Mercedes will suddenly stop performing and his 0.5 will get him a million 5th places.

And he'd still be ahead of Kimi ;)

Who won the championship at Ferrari because McLaren were excluded?

Fixed :p

mike96 said:
AMS97KRR said:

https://twitter.com/willbuxton/status/503581862087127041 

Oh , and this gonna end really badly. At least 1 free seat at Merc for next year. Maybe Vettel there ?

110% yes

I cannot see them keeping this going for another year. 

110% No :p 

I hear Alonso is looking at his options for next season ;)

He was actually talking with Red Bull last night :p

Well with the 0.5 that Alonso brings to any team, Alonso WDC 2015 ;)

No, Mercedes will suddenly stop performing and his 0.5 will get him a million 5th places.

And he'd still be ahead of Kimi ;)

Who won the championship at Ferrari?

Who's 11-1 up? :p

At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter, neither will win the title or even a race...

IF Rosberg did it on purpose, he needs a one race ban. A driver cannot hit another on purpose, it puts both of their lives at risk as well as the spectators.

fIsince08 said:
IF Rosberg did it on purpose, he needs a one race ban. A driver cannot hit another on purpose, it puts both of their lives at risk as well as the spectators.

Ban Hamilton as well, then the rest of the pack can catch up..

fIsince08 said:

Yeah I agree, even though the collision was minor and less threatening to other drivers and himself alike, a intentionally caused collision should not be allowed to be gotten away with. Of course he this is all dependant on whether it was deliberate or not. If it was, I will loose a lot of respect for a certain Mr Rosberg.

All this being said I still think it's being blown out of proportion.

So it appears Rosberg didn't hit Lewis on purpose but instead chose not to avoid contact because of Lewis forcing him to back out at Bahrain. Didn't someone comment on here about not getting out of the way to avoid a collision and make the other driver look like an idiot ?

Well I'd say the only person he's made look like an idiot is himself :p 

And if that is the case then he's still broken the rules. The car in front has no obligation to leave space until the car behind is halfway alongside, Rosberg wasn't, and has just admitted that he wasn't gonna move, so in my eyes that's penalty worthy.

And if that is the case then he's still broken the rules. The car in front has no obligation to leave space until the car behind is halfway alongside, Rosberg wasn't, and has just admitted that he wasn't gonna move, so in my eyes that's penalty worthy.

I really think Rosberg was right to do that though. Deliberately hit him , no , but Lewis gives people the option to either collide or give way every time in his overtakes. He has to learn that not everyone will do that for him. Plus , Lewis is mentally weak so this will probably rattle him a bit.

As Will Buxton's tweet stated, there's a big difference between not avoiding an accident and intentionally causing one. Hamilton's words made it sound like Rosberg deliberately hit him, but that wasn't really the case. It would've taken some mighty precision driving to do exactly what he did deliberately, so I kind of doubted that it was straight up intentional. 

As is with racing though, successful side by side action through corners requires two willing drivers. The incident did remind me of the turn 1 action at Bahrain on a specific lap where Hamilton cut across Rosberg, and Rosberg needed some pretty sharp reflexes to avoid contact. Today Rosberg just decided to not make use of those reflexes and let the cars drift in to one another.

I mean just for the sake of proving a point it was a supreme risk, we saw Alonso's front wing and Vettel's tyre connect later on in the race only for Alonso to have 100% of the consequence for that action. Rosberg was fortunate Hamilton got a puncture, otherwise it could've been a severe backfire. But it worked out for him, and it's open warfare at Mercedes now. 

I really think Rosberg was right to do that though. Deliberately hit him , no , but Lewis gives people the option to either collide or give way every time in his overtakes. He has to learn that not everyone will do that for him. Plus , Lewis is mentally weak so this will probably rattle him a bit.

I really can't agree bud, Hamilton was within the rules, Rosberg wasn't. Rosberg cost the team a possible 1-2 finish, certainly cost them the win.

And he's not coming across as mentally weak, in fact there were comments on Twitter after the race that Hamilton seemed very calm and collected, while Rosberg seemed to have the weight of the world on his shoulders. And personally, I'd have ripped into Rosberg in the post-race interview, so when he didn't and he was actually really even about the whole thing, if was a surprise to me.

HOLY COW!

I come one for the first time of the day and there is 136 new in belgian gp and 45 in f1 stuff!

And also, does anyone have a table of all the penalty points accumulated by drivers this season. I can't find one 

Agreed 100%. Nico was at his side early mid-corner. Didn't have the line, but neither did Lewis have the optimal as well. Good for Nico, IMO. If he truly wanted to take Lewis out, he would have slammed right into the sidepod, or run him off in a corner.

EDIT: bess clip I could find. Can go either way; Nico should have backed off sooner (half a second?) Lewis could have moved over ever so slightly (a foot?) In the end, I honestly think it was a racing incident...

Hamilton was a good three quarters of a car length ahead. Nico could have backed out or taken to the escape route and lost at most a second-two seconds which is nothing two laps into a 44 lap race round a 5 mile circuit.

I know I'm a Hamilton fan but I genuienly think Rosberg gets more than his fair share of luck when it comes to penalties and warnings because of his good boy image. It doesnt annoy me as much as when it was Vettel always winning because for the most part I like/d Rosberg, even though I'd rather Hamilton win the WDC, but Nico's had a lot of luck this year.

I'd love to hea from someone who thinks Rosbergs Monaco Q3 mistake was a genuine mistake. He had provisional pole ahead of Hamilton who was on  4 race winning streak, on the most difficult track to overtake and then just happens to run wide with 30 seconds of the session left, and then reverse back on to the rrack causing yellow flags and not letting anyone else, let alone his teammate and Championship rival set another time. Voila, he has pole and then celebrates it in parc ferme after as if he just won the race. Dont think he'd act like that if it really was a mistake. 

Then in Canada he cut the last chicane as iirc Hamilton was trying to overtake him, and then set the fastest first sector of the race by over a second and a half. I still cant believe that wasnt picked up tbh especially as it was for first position; and  there was somebody else around the same time Maybe a race or two earler who got a penalty for something similar. 

I don't think what happened today was pre medidated but in mind Monaco defenitely was, its similar to the kind of thing Schumacher used to do, only he got caught because he had a rep for it whilst Nicos seen as some kind of angel. He certainly has a ruthless streak in him just we havent seen it before because he's never really fought for race wins and titles before. 

It's one of two things either Vettel (Malaysia 2013) and Rosberg are rreally good at that kind of thing, or Hamilton needs to geg better at lying, cos lasttime he f***ed up.

Bloody Germans.

Rant/ 

On the plus side, Max Chilton beat someone today.

Ignoring stupid team orders and hitting your team mate on lap 2 on purpose are slightly different.

I'm sorry but there is very little difference between purposely crashing and not avoiding a crash. Rosberg chose to not avoid the crash, knowing that if he didn't back out there would be a collision, which is in turn, purposely causing a collision. Should be dealt with the same way purposely causing a crash should be. But it won't. Rosberg won't be banned, whether it be by the FIA or Mercedes. Mercedes especially won't be allowed to discipline him too much, not the extent of a ban or anything

According to BBC the FIA can still penalise Rosberg and if they do, it could be anything from a grid penalty up to a DSQ for Belgium

Just to add to the irony and hypocrisy of the whole thing, Nico says that he didn't try to avoid a collision, leaving it Hamilton's choice to have that accident, which is something Ayrton Senna would do and something Senna has done many times before. Given that Hamilton is a Senna wannabe (but in reality a poor man's Mansell) and most of his fans would be Senna fans, I find it funny that everyone's lashing out at Nico for this. But no, we can't criticise Senna for that! He's the greatest of all time and he's dead!

Frankly, I don't care anymore. I hope Nico and Lewis kill each other so that Riccardo or someone else can pick up the pieces. Mercedes may have the best car, but they're probably the worst managed team on the grid. This entire situation is not Hamilton's fault, nor Rosberg's. I hold Mercedes responsible for this mess.

mike96 said:

But Hamilton didn't have to leave room, Rosberg wasn't alongside him at Les Combes.

I never said Hamilton needed to leave room and I'm not defending Rosberg for what was clearly a clumsy move. I'm commenting on the fact that Rosberg did something that Senna would do, but I haven't heard anyone who's criticising Rosberg point that out. The thing that properly angers me is that the team let their drivers race, they both crash into each other, and then have the audacity to blame one of their god damn drivers?! Disgusting. Absolutely disgusting. The team have only themselves to blame for this.

No, the team can blame Rosberg. The golden rule is don't hit your teammate, Rosberg willingly broke that rule.

I don't see how the team are to blame for letting their drivers RACE. What do you want them to do? Use team orders every race so there's no collisions? Just a few races ago Mercedes were being praised for letting their drivers race, now you're having a go at them for it?

No, the team can blame Rosberg. The golden rule is don't hit your teammate, Rosberg willingly broke that rule.

I don't see how the team are to blame for letting their drivers RACE. What do you want them to do? Use team orders every race so there's no collisions? Just a few races ago Mercedes were being praised for letting their drivers race, now you're having a go at them for it?

You're damn right I am. You've got two highly competitive drivers who hate each others guts and want to prove a point. THIS WAS INEVITABLE. Did they honestly think that these two were not going to collide at some point? How stupid can they get? Your job as a team is to get the best result possible. They criticise their drivers for duking it out on lap 2? THEN DON'T LET THEM! They should have said "guys, don't do anything stupid in the first couple of laps. After a few laps, when everything has settled down, clean racing please.". They weren't told that, they weren't told anything and as a result Hamilton gets taken out of the race and Ricciardo wins. Daniel is only 64 points behind Rosberg in the championship, it's not totally inconceivable that if things go the way they are, he might well win the championship.

This is what you get for having two drivers being allowed to do whatever they want. Not only did it cost Mercedes a bunch of points, it's robbed us fans of a great race between the two title contenders.

I don't care if this isn't the most popular opinion, it's right. If you guys want to rip me a new asshole, go right ahead. I'd like 12.

Mexicola said:

Just to add to the irony and hypocrisy of the whole thing, Nico says that he didn't try to avoid a collision, leaving it Hamilton's choice to have that accident, which is something Ayrton Senna would do and something Senna has done many times before. Given that Hamilton is a Senna wannabe (but in reality a poor man's Mansell) and most of his fans would be Senna fans, I find it funny that everyone's lashing out at Nico for this. But no, we can't criticise Senna for that! He's the greatest of all time and he's dead!

Frankly, I don't care anymore. I hope Nico and Lewis kill each other so that Riccardo or someone else can pick up the pieces. Mercedes may have the best car, but they're probably the worst managed team on the grid. This entire situation is not Hamilton's fault, nor Rosberg's. I hold Mercedes responsible for this mess.

Always makes me laugh how people hate drivers for the same reasons they love Senna. In my opinion Senna was a bit of a ****, the current driver most like him is Maldonado. Everyone hates him though. Everyone jumps on the Senna bandwagon as soon as they get into F1

AMS97KRR said:

Ignoring stupid team orders and hitting your team mate on lap 2 on purpose are slightly different.

I meant they've both used underhand tacticx to gain a significant advantage, by no means are they the only ones to have done it though.