F1 2020 | KNOWN KEY ISSUES | READ ME!!! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Formula 1 2014 Belgian Grand Prix

APR193 said:

Tommig1995 said:

The hill is enormous. Games & TV give no concept of how steep it is, nor that the downhill after Le Source is so great.

Yea I've been to Spa myself a couple of times, and it's really amazing. I actually drove on the track a couple of months ago, that feeling of going up at Eau Rouge is insane, even at 'low' (140 km/h) speed. You really can't see where you're going, so I was glad with all my experience from my Codemasters games :)

I also noticed that in-game the Bus Stop chicane is way too flat, as you can see in my video.

http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/572/spa-classic-2014

There are a few places where Codies track design isn't great, but none as bad as Brands Hatch in F1 2013/GRID. The worst design of Brands Hatch I have ever seen by far.

I haven't been to Brands Hatch yet unfortunately, but when I drove it in F1 2013 and GRID 2/GAS I noticed it was different from what I remembered from ToCa 3

APR193 said:

Tommig1995 said:

The hill is enormous. Games & TV give no concept of how steep it is, nor that the downhill after Le Source is so great.

Yea I've been to Spa myself a couple of times, and it's really amazing. I actually drove on the track a couple of months ago, that feeling of going up at Eau Rouge is insane, even at 'low' (140 km/h) speed. You really can't see where you're going, so I was glad with all my experience from my Codemasters games :)

I also noticed that in-game the Bus Stop chicane is way too flat, as you can see in my video.

http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/572/spa-classic-2014

There are a few places where Codies track design isn't great, but none as bad as Brands Hatch in F1 2013/GRID. The worst design of Brands Hatch I have ever seen by far.

I haven't been to Brands Hatch yet unfortunately, but when I drove it in F1 2013 and GRID 2/GAS I noticed it was different from what I remembered from ToCa 3

Having been to Brands loads of time its really disappointing how bad it is. Track is far too wide and the elevation change is almost non existent. Its just weird. When you are at braking zone for Druids looking back to Paddock Hill Bend it looks like there's a good amount of elevation change, but when you drive around it it feels almost flat. Same with other parts of the track. I really don't understand how they did that. And the track in places is probably close to 2 times wider than it is in real life.  

The version in game was an older version but the elevation change and track width was the same as it is now.

Nice work on all that trekking Tom, how was the F1 cars in sound/spectacle? 

Difficult to judge because we were on a braking zone, but the GP2s are probably louder. They literally shake your chest, it's awesome. The F1 cars make a really cool sound, I just don't think it's very loud. That said, you could hear the echoes off Pouhon on the first lap. That was cool!

Sounds like you had an awesome time. My best mate went to Spa in 2012 for the Grand Prix and again, he loved it. Now I wanna go :p

I'm gonna go to the Austrian GP next year, can't wait.
Although it won't be as special as 2003 with the V10's. I remember we were still looking for  a parking slot quite far away from the actual circuit and we could already hear the cars while still sitting in our car.

The difference between the V8 and V6 sound is huge, can't imagine how much louder V10's were. 

From my point of view at least, the difference between the V10's and V8's was huge. The V8's screamed and engulfed the circuit, but the V10's bellowed for miles. So happy I got to catch the end of that era by going to Silverstone in 2005. I was also especially happy Montoya won that day. 

Yeah I remember when I went to the first ever race in Turkey, the sound was deafening, especially the upshifts!

mike96 said:
Yeah I remember when I went to the first ever race in Turkey, the sound was deafening, especially the upshifts!
Don't you mean the downshifts?

mike96 said:
Don't you mean the downshifts?
The sound when they were changing gears actually, both upshifts and downshifts they were like BANG!

The cars were faster at Spa this year than last year.
http://www.f1plus.com/en/news/item/6555-2014-spa-pace-faster-than-last-year-analysis

I heard the V6's this year, the V8s screamed (Which I didn't like to much)  and the V10s used to kill your ears but they were so good. The Ferrari engine sounds really nice actually, but the Merc and Renault are a bit rubbish to be honest.

fIsince08 said:
The cars were faster at Spa this year than last year.
http://www.f1plus.com/en/news/item/6555-2014-spa-pace-faster-than-last-year-analysis
I saw this, really kinda interesting how much faster the cars were getting this year compared to last year. And really emphasizes how important aero has become on these cars. I do wish the cars were faster over a lap at all tracks.. but I also love that the cars don't just stick to the road due to aero. So not really sure what the solution to that is. But Monza should be quite fast this year so that's cool