Sign in to follow this  

2014 Formula 1 UBS Chinese Grand Prix

AMS97KRR said:
I can't remember the last time a race was actually really close. Must have been June or July last year. How fun. 

The gap between 1st and 2nd was 1 second at Bahrain???? 

AMS97KRR said:
I can't remember the last time a race was actually really close. Must have been June or July last year. How fun. 

Can't complain about Lewis though, he is doing his job well. Just a shame what looked like a promising season in terms of excitement has turned into a bore-fest after 4 races. 

Do you mean in terms of multiple
teams fighting for victory? Because although Mercedes may have been way out in front in Bahrain I still thought that race was pretty close between its two drivers.

AMS97KRR said:

Can't complain about Lewis though, he is doing his job well. Just a shame what looked like a promising season in terms of excitement has turned into a bore-fest after 4 races. 

And I can't be the only person confused about Red Bulls team orders. Fair enough, they were on different strategies at the time, but they then changed Vettels to a 2-stop as well. And I'm not saying anything is going on, but Vettel finishing a pit-stop behind Ricciardo? Either Vettel gave up after he saw his strategy change (Let Ricciardo past thinking he was on a 3-stop and Ricciardo was on a 2-stop) which I think is most likely or something else happened. It just seems strange, especially since Vettel had the edge on Ricciardo right up until he backed off of Alonso to save tyres.  
Bahrain 2014 not close enough for you?

Also, Vettel had no reason to give up. He was beaten by Ricciardo fair and square, end of story.

Britpoint said:
AMS97KRR said:

Do you mean in terms of multiple
teams fighting for victory? Because although Mercedes may have been way out in front in Bahrain I still thought that race was pretty close between its two drivers.
Having trouble with quoting I see?

@justbiglee Quoting's broken.

AMS97KRR said:

The gap between 1st and 2nd was 1 second at Bahrain???? 
I meant mulitple teams, like Britpoint says 

AMS97KRR said:

So like Vettel last year?
Well, the end of last year yes. It wasn't an exciting season pretty much from Hungary onwards. I just didn't complain much because it was coming to the end of an era in F1 and I thought we'd have a good season this year. 

AMS97KRR said:
AMS97KRR said:

So like Vettel last year?
Well, the end of last year yes. It wasn't an exciting season pretty much from Hungary onwards. I just didn't complain much because it was coming to the end of an era in F1 and I thought we'd have a good season this year. 
Or because your favourite driver was winning..

AMS97KRR said:

I see you have found out how we have felt for the past 3 years. 

None of the seasons (other than 2011) Vettel has won has been this bad after 4 races. 2010 was great, 2012 was really good and 2013 was interesting as well. 2011 and 2014 are just dull and I'd rather not have years like that at all. 

I know how you felt when Vettel won like this, everyone made a massive effort to say how they felt on the old forums every time he had the lead. Funny how there is less comments about dull races now after one corner has been completed. Can't think why.

Because the race was hilarious today when Vettel got annihilated by Ricciardo and overtaken by a Caterham. Apart from that it was pretty ok. Not as bad as I remember the Vettel dominant races but then again I hated the 2013 season.

The Caterham had brand new tyres and Vettel was on really done in old ones. I just love how deluded some Vettel haters are (I hate using the word haters). They think that because Ricciardo has outperformed Vettel twice that he is better or that Vettel is average, despite losing out to him in the Championship right now.

If anyone actually believes that I don't know what to say to them as they clearly haven't watched F1 much. If Ricciardo beats Vettel for two years running convincingly I'd hold my hands up and say "Yes he is better" but as of now, we are 4 races into a new era of F1, not 4 years. People forget 2011 when Lewis had an off season and now look at him. 

And the people on Twitter makes me think that Twitter should only allow people who have something good to say to Tweet.

Because the race was hilarious today when Vettel got annihilated by Ricciardo and overtaken by a Caterham. Apart from that it was pretty ok. Not as bad as I remember the Vettel dominant races but then again I hated the 2013 season.
You see that is the issue. We had some good racing in 2013 and 2011 but because you dislike Vettel, you only remember the bit where Vettel won by 20 seconds. Vettel won in Germany in 2013 and that was one of the best races of the year.

Yes, Ricciardo is only behind Vettel because of Malaysia and Australia where he was screwed over through no fault of his own. Although Vettel retired from Australia too, I find it highly unlikely Vettel would of beaten Ricciardo there so yeah, 3-1 to Ricciardo in the races so far, which for Vettel, a 4x world champion, is truly shocking and Ricciardo would of been comfortably ahead of Vettel in the WDC.

AMS97KRR said:
None of the seasons (other than 2011) Vettel has won has been this bad after 4 races. 2010 was great, 2012 was really good and 2013 was interesting as well. 2011 and 2014 are just dull and I'd rather not have years like that at all. 

I know how you felt when Vettel won like this, everyone made a massive effort to say how they felt on the old forums every time he had the lead. Funny how there is less comments about dull races now after one corner has been completed. Can't think why.
2010 was a good season and so was 2012, but a bit painful as a Hamilton fan. The whole of 2011, and most of 2013 was extremely dull. You can't throw 2014 into the same category as 2011 after just 4 races, it doesn't make any sense. 2 rounds so far this season have been okay, with one of them being the best for about 3 years in terms of action. How you can say Bahrain is dull is beyond me.

Funny how there is more comments about dull races from Vettel fans now after one corner has been completed. Can't think why. 

This season should be the exact opposite to 2013. Instead of being somewhat interesting to begin with and then regarded as quite a boring last half, this season should start off like it has, and then close up as the season progresses. Whilst everyone will improve their cars, Merc have less opportunities to increase their gap, with obviously less areas to dramatically improve on, so hopefully come the end of the season, we'll be seeing a proper fight.

Hopefully.

AMS97KRR said:
You see that is the issue. We had some good racing in 2013 and 2011 but because you dislike Vettel, you only remember the bit where Vettel won by 20 seconds. Vettel won in Germany in 2013 and that was one of the best races of the year.
One good race which I happened to miss lol. Generally, 2013 was a crap year, even worse then 2011.

Liam12d said:
AMS97KRR said:

2010 was a good season and so was 2012, but a bit painful as a Hamilton fan. The whole of 2011, and most of 2013 was extremely dull. You can't throw 2014 into the same category as 2011 after just 4 races, it doesn't make any sense. 2 rounds so far this season have been okay, with one of them being the best for about 3 years in terms of action. How you can say Bahrain is dull is beyond me.

Funny how there is more comments about dull races from Vettel fans now after one corner has been completed. Can't think why. 
Bahrain wasn't dull it was just REALLY predictable and in my opinion that makes it boring to a certain extent (in terms of racing for the lead). It was only ever going to be Mercedes Vs Mercedes, which is how it will be all season. Even Red Bull were not this dominant. Hamilton wasn't even pushing his hardest and he got 10 seconds in 10 laps.
2014 is boring, every lead is either Merc Vs Merc or no competition at all.

Not a single Vettel fan came on here and commented about a Hamilton win after one corner. That legitimately happened last year when Vettel was winning.  

So turns out the Chequered flag was shown to Lewis a lap early (lap 55), so the race result has been declared as of lap 54.

Here's the regulation in question that explains why:

43.2 - Should for any reason the end-of-race signal be given before the leading car completes the 
scheduled number of laps, or the prescribed time has been completed, the race will be 
deemed to have finished when the leading car last crossed the Line before the signal was 
given. 

Good thing nothing of major importance happened on those last two laps!!! A shame for Kobayashi though who loses his overtake on Bianchi. I sure hope 10th in the Constructors championship doesn't end up being decided on countbacks to 17th place...

Red Bull didn't get 1-2's last year because Webber was shit.

And you're saying last year wasn't predictable? I wonder if we still have the Predictor Game data from last year. I'm curious to see how many times Vettel was put first.

AMS97KRR said:
Liam12d said:
AMS97KRR said:

Bahrain wasn't dull it was just REALLY predictable and in my opinion that makes it boring to a certain extent (in terms of racing for the lead). It was only ever going to be Mercedes Vs Mercedes, which is how it will be all season. Even Red Bull were not this dominant. Hamilton wasn't even pushing his hardest and he got 10 seconds in 10 laps.
2014 is boring, every lead is either Merc Vs Merc or no competition at all.

Not a single Vettel fan came on here and commented about a Hamilton win after one corner. That legitimately happened last year when Vettel was winning.  
Are you high or something? Bahrain was not boring or predictable. The only predictable element was a Mercedes win, otherwise no one knew out of Hamilton or Rosberg who would win. At least this championship should have a battle between 2 drivers instead of 1.

Yes, Ricciardo is only behind Vettel because of Malaysia and Australia where he was screwed over through no fault of his own. Although Vettel retired from Australia too, I find it highly unlikely Vettel would of beaten Ricciardo there so yeah, 3-1 to Ricciardo in the races so far, which for Vettel, a 4x world champion, is truly shocking and Ricciardo would of been comfortably ahead of Vettel in the WDC.
All speculation, you don't know what would have happened. In Australia Vettel may have made an amazing recovery drive to finish 2nd, in Malaysia Ricciardo may have just crashed or spun. We don't know what could have happened, so why bother bringing it up? As far as the FIA are concerned in Aus Ricciardo was racing an illegal car, so in Aus for me it was 0-0 and in Malaysia it was 1-0 Vettel, in Bahrain it was 1-1 and now it is 2-1 Ricciardo. 
I think 2-1 is a fair reflection and in fact, the FIA would probably say 2-2 because a DSQ is lower than a DNF. Going on final race results, 2-2 would be the legit score, although that isn't really the case IMO.

Vettel has had a tricky few races, but 2011 proved for me that even the best have an off season. I'm not worrying too much, you don't win 4 Titles by accident.

AMS97KRR said:
One good race which I happened to miss lol. Generally, 2013 was a crap year, even worse then 2011.
2011 and 2013 had good moments but yeah I'd agree with that. I'm just sick of anyone one driver dominating, I really, really hope this season improves but it already looks like the titles are decided.

Red Bull didn't get 1-2's last year because Webber was shit.

And you're saying last year wasn't predictable? I wonder if we still have the Predictor Game data from last year. I'm curious to see how many times Vettel was put first.
I said I was bored 2nd half of 2013. It was predictable, and I don't like that.

Funny how the boards were perfectly peaceful until the Vettel fans returned. And not the sensible ones, mind you.