Sign in to follow this  

2014 Formula 1 UBS Chinese Grand Prix

This is probably the worst day in the life of Sebastian Vettel. It felt like a bad sitcom joke when the Caterham overtook him. Like Ricciardo wasn't bad enough and then Red Bull requesting Vettel to stay out to help Ricci. His reaction was golden: "Oh COME ON! Really? A Caterham to top it off? Really?"

#ToughLuck

Perhaps I'm being cynical, but did Red Bull lie about Ricciardo being on a two stop so Vettel would let him past?

McLaren are becoming more and more of a joke, seriously, they have the best engine and the worst chassis of all the Mercedes-powered cars. How do you become so average in just 2 years, especially while having the best car on the grid at the end of 2012?

By having Martin Whitmarsh and Sam Michael in charge :/

fIsince08 said:
Perhaps I'm being cynical, but did Red Bull lie about Ricciardo being on a two stop so Vettel would let him past?
That's what I thought afterwards, but I'm not sure about that.

I can think of a reason why they'd favor Ricciardo, but I'm not going to post it because, although I don't actually believe it, people will say I do, so I wont. Thank me later. 

Britpoint said:
AMS97KRR said:
I can't remember the last time a race was actually really close. Must have been June or July last year. How fun. 

Can't complain about Lewis though, he is doing his job well. Just a shame what looked like a promising season in terms of excitement has turned into a bore-fest after 4 races. 

Do you mean in terms of multiple
teams fighting for victory? Because although Mercedes may have been way out in front in Bahrain I still thought that race was pretty close between its two drivers.
Having trouble with quoting I see?
As are you it seems! 

Britpoint said:
AMS97KRR said:
I can't remember the last time a race was actually really close. Must have been June or July last year. How fun. 

Can't complain about Lewis though, he is doing his job well. Just a shame what looked like a promising season in terms of excitement has turned into a bore-fest after 4 races. 

Do you mean in terms of multiple
teams fighting for victory? Because although Mercedes may have been way out in front in Bahrain I still thought that race was pretty close between its two drivers.
Having trouble with quoting I see?

@justbiglee Quoting's broken.
Yes, it was close. But it is really disappointing to see that this season Mercedes will win every race unless either both retire or a miracle happens. 

AMS97KRR said:
Liam12d said:
AMS97KRR said:
None of the seasons (other than 2011) Vettel has won has been this bad after 4 races. 2010 was great, 2012 was really good and 2013 was interesting as well. 2011 and 2014 are just dull and I'd rather not have years like that at all. 

I know how you felt when Vettel won like this, everyone made a massive effort to say how they felt on the old forums every time he had the lead. Funny how there is less comments about dull races now after one corner has been completed. Can't think why.
2010 was a good season and so was 2012, but a bit painful as a Hamilton fan. The whole of 2011, and most of 2013 was extremely dull. You can't throw 2014 into the same category as 2011 after just 4 races, it doesn't make any sense. 2 rounds so far this season have been okay, with one of them being the best for about 3 years in terms of action. How you can say Bahrain is dull is beyond me.

Funny how there is more comments about dull races from Vettel fans now after one corner has been completed. Can't think why. 
Bahrain wasn't dull it was just REALLY predictable and in my opinion that makes it boring to a certain extent (in terms of racing for the lead). It was only ever going to be Mercedes Vs Mercedes, which is how it will be all season. Even Red Bull were not this dominant. Hamilton wasn't even pushing his hardest and he got 10 seconds in 10 laps.
2014 is boring, every lead is either Merc Vs Merc or no competition at all.

Not a single Vettel fan came on here and commented about a Hamilton win after one corner. That legitimately happened last year when Vettel was winning.  
Are you high or something? Bahrain was not boring or predictable. The only predictable element was a Mercedes win, otherwise no one knew out of Hamilton or Rosberg who would win. At least this championship should have a battle between 2 drivers instead of 1.
Which is why I put in brackets (In terms of racing for the lead). 

I'll have a guess as to which team will win in Spain. Bit of a shot i the dark but I'm going to say Mercedes and most likely Hamilton. Just a guess. 

This wont be a great title fight, Lewis is clearly better than Nico, it will just be a case of stretching the gap by 7 points until the final race. I honestly don't think another team will win this year unless Mercedes have a double DNF if it stays like this.

Liam12d said:
AMS97KRR said:
Yes, Ricciardo is only behind Vettel because of Malaysia and Australia where he was screwed over through no fault of his own. Although Vettel retired from Australia too, I find it highly unlikely Vettel would of beaten Ricciardo there so yeah, 3-1 to Ricciardo in the races so far, which for Vettel, a 4x world champion, is truly shocking and Ricciardo would of been comfortably ahead of Vettel in the WDC.
All speculation, you don't know what would have happened. In Australia Vettel may have made an amazing recovery drive to finish 2nd, in Malaysia Ricciardo may have just crashed or spun. We don't know what could have happened, so why bother bringing it up? As far as the FIA are concerned in Aus Ricciardo was racing an illegal car, so in Aus for me it was 0-0 and in Malaysia it was 1-0 Vettel, in Bahrain it was 1-1 and now it is 2-1 Ricciardo. 
I think 2-1 is a fair reflection and in fact, the FIA would probably say 2-2 because a DSQ is lower than a DNF. Going on final race results, 2-2 would be the legit score, although that isn't really the case IMO.

Vettel has had a tricky few races, but 2011 proved for me that even the best have an off season. I'm not worrying too much, you don't win 4 Titles by accident.
Not when he doesn't have the magical blown diffuser as his pet.
He is adapting his driving style. He has won without it before and he will win without it again. Look at 2008 & 2009.

AMS97KRR said:
yugin96 said:
AMS97KRR said:
They will have the wrong mindset, a lack of skill when it really matters (such as Brazil 2012, Abu Dhabi 2012 where Vettel had to rescue his title fight despite the setbacks - I think an average driver would have given up to a certain extent, I don't believe Perez would have the skill and mindset to do what Vettel did).
Funny how you bring those exact two races up. I seem to remember Vettel botching the start and then turning into Senna in Brazil (and got remarkably lucky that his car wasn't terminally damaged), and hitting a DRS board under the safety car and overtaking Grosjean while exceeding track limits in Abu Dhabi.
Look at Webber in 2010 after his Korean GP. He wasn't the same afterwards, and he lost out as a result. That is what I am saying. 
Ok I lied, I will say something else. Webber had an injury from the Korean GP onwards. That's what most likely affected his performance.
That is your opinion, it may not have been that bad of an injury. Who knows. 

I'll give you an example form another sport. Look at Moyes at United. He still has his mid table mindset, which is why right now he wont win anything IMO. It will take time for him, although I'm not convinced. You can change your mindset, but it takes time and your time might be gone when it changes.

It was a broken shoulder. It certainly would of cost Webber the crucial tenth or two needed in qualifying where there are very fine margins, where the driver is facing high G-force. Any injury would of made a significant impact on a driver's performance regardless of its severity because this is Formula 1 and not Snooker or whatever.

Can I just say, don't quote any of this broken stuff, that conversation is finished as far as I am concerned, that stuff is from a few pages back and there is no need to bring it up again.

AMS97KRR said:
Liam12d said:
AMS97KRR said:
Yes, Ricciardo is only behind Vettel because of Malaysia and Australia where he was screwed over through no fault of his own. Although Vettel retired from Australia too, I find it highly unlikely Vettel would of beaten Ricciardo there so yeah, 3-1 to Ricciardo in the races so far, which for Vettel, a 4x world champion, is truly shocking and Ricciardo would of been comfortably ahead of Vettel in the WDC.
All speculation, you don't know what would have happened. In Australia Vettel may have made an amazing recovery drive to finish 2nd, in Malaysia Ricciardo may have just crashed or spun. We don't know what could have happened, so why bother bringing it up? As far as the FIA are concerned in Aus Ricciardo was racing an illegal car, so in Aus for me it was 0-0 and in Malaysia it was 1-0 Vettel, in Bahrain it was 1-1 and now it is 2-1 Ricciardo. 
I think 2-1 is a fair reflection and in fact, the FIA would probably say 2-2 because a DSQ is lower than a DNF. Going on final race results, 2-2 would be the legit score, although that isn't really the case IMO.

Vettel has had a tricky few races, but 2011 proved for me that even the best have an off season. I'm not worrying too much, you don't win 4 Titles by accident.
Not when he doesn't have the magical blown diffuser as his pet.
He is adapting his driving style. He has won without it before and he will win without it again. Look at 2008 & 2009.
There is a difference between winning say off the front row and making "an amazing recovery drive to finish 2nd". 

So if Hamilton had a dramatic engine failure on the scheduled last lap, since the race officially finishes when the flag drops, would he still be classified as the winner?

So if Hamilton had a dramatic engine failure on the scheduled last lap, since the race officially finishes when the flag drops, would he still be classified as the winner?
He would still be the winner because the flag waved early. 

Honestly, that rule seems a little strange to me. Why should a man waving a flag take precedence over the official lap counter?

yugin96 said:
Honestly, that rule seems a little strange to me. Why should a man waving a flag take precedence over the official lap counter?
The rules state flags take preference, like yellow flags for example.