Sign in to follow this  

[F1 2013 Video] A.I Madness and why the safety car needs to be more regular

http://youtu.be/K-o_Y0E8v3c

I just did a race on my career mode at Monza, started 17th I had modest expectations for my result, until I got the the Ascari chicaine and madness erupted. I ended up winning the race by 3 seconds from Alonso, but 3rd place Vettel was over 40 seconds behind, I feel that if a safety car had come out in this situation which it should have, unless the martials are that quick then it could have made the race a bit more interesting.

Also, on the second lap Massa just decided he didn't want to race anymore

Finally, sorry for the camera phone quality, I don't have any video recording equipment

Safety cars are rare in this game, they usually only happen when you hit the pit entry wall or another wall close to the track and the AI are always going to be bad because they are AI.

This is certainly a part of the game that needs to be looked at. The safety car should indeed be coming out for an incident like that. Not only that, but I still feel that the wrecked cars should take time before disappearing. Rather than vanishing after a few seconds they should stay where they are for a couple of laps before finally disappearing.

Also, about the picture quality; The thumbnail for the video looks like real footage from the 90's. It looks awesome. Should try it with one of the '96 classic cars!

You're better off racing with car damage off if you want AI cars to finish with realistic results.

I disagree, I've probably done about 6 or 7 seasons of career mode, always with damage on and this rarely happens, usually the entire 22 cars finish the race, and it's usually Mercedes, Red Bull and Ferrari finishing at the top. At least with damage it adds some variety to the game and spices it up every now and then, rather than 22 cars with no damage running in order for the entire race.

Edit: I wasn't complaining that Vettel was too slow, I was complaining that a safety car didn't come out, so whilst all the cars we sat at the chicaine going slow, I was in 5th place I believe and 5th - 1st place just raced off into the distance. I believe the other drivers were Perez, Bottas, Hulkenberg who pitted for repairs, Massa, who just drove off the track at the end of the video and Alonso". So probably by the end of lap 1, I was already about 20 seconds ahead of Vettel, where a safety car would have closed the gap

This is certainly a part of the game that needs to be looked at. The safety car should indeed be coming out for an incident like that. Not only that, but I still feel that the wrecked cars should take time before disappearing. Rather than vanishing after a few seconds they should stay where they are for a couple of laps before finally disappearing.

Also, about the picture quality; The thumbnail for the video looks like real footage from the 90's. It looks awesome. Should try it with one of the '96 classic cars!

I agree with your points and that's what I was trying to get across with this video. there was 4 cars in the gravel trap at teh Ascari chicaine, and there was nothing, apart from a yellow flag, and I overtook like 5 cars under that yellow flag because everyone was moving at a snails pace and I got no penalty.

Then when I came round next lap there was no evidence there was a crash. The only tracks I consistently get safety cars on are Monaco and Singapore, when an A.I crashes, not terminally, but they get themselves stuck and are literally just parked on the racing line.

I remember once on 2012 when Kobayashi spun at Monaco coming of the tunnel and just sat his car on the outside of the chicaine, I was doing a 100% race and the safety car would come out, do 3 laps, go in, Kobayashi's car was still there, we'd get 1 lap of racing and the safety car would come out again.

That definitely wasn't my intention with the picture quality, but I may give it a shot later haha

You're better off racing with car damage off if you want AI cars to finish with realistic results.

I disagree, I've probably done about 6 or 7 seasons of career mode, always with damage on and this rarely happens, usually the entire 22 cars finish the race, and it's usually Mercedes, Red Bull and Ferrari finishing at the top. At least with damage it adds some variety to the game and spices it up every now and then, rather than 22 cars with no damage running in order for the entire race.

Just a suggestion. I agree that with damage, it adds variety to the game and spices it up. But you'd be surprised that there's definitely ups & downs and some jostling around for positions amongst AI cars with damage off.

I agree about crashed cars need to stay on the track for at least a lap. I mean they had this on Super Monaco GP on the Sega Mega Drive with a car parked to the side with smoke billowing out

I've been saying it for years. Retired cars in "dangerous positions" should only disappear after the SC is deployed. It kills two birds with one stone. The SC would actually be necessary (as it stands it's purely for show because the cars vanish) and would be deployed more often too. 

It simply isn't present enough at the moment. Nor do retirements successfully cause its deployment. How can I complete a 50% race at Monaco in torrential rain in my career mode without a SC period? Come on. 

The SC hasn't worked since its inclusion 3 years ago and I've given up holding my breath to be honest. 

F1 '99 on the Playstation had a working SC with a system similar to this.

I've been saying it for years. Retired cars in "dangerous positions" should only disappear after the SC is deployed. It kills two birds with one stone. The SC would actually be necessary (as it stands it's purely for show because the cars vanish) and would be deployed more often too. 

It simply isn't present enough at the moment. Nor do retirements successfully cause its deployment. How can I complete a 50% race at Monaco in torrential rain in my career mode without a SC period? Come on. 

The SC hasn't worked since its inclusion 3 years ago and I've given up holding my breath to be honest. 

F1 '99 on the Playstation had a working SC with a system similar to this.

Totally agree, I wonder if it's a memory issue, I imagine it probably requires a bit to keep the car out on the track when it's technically not doing anything so it'd probably be easier to make it vanish and free up some memory, maybe this will get fixed with the 2015 game

Driving over that debris and no puncture! :open_mouth: 

Don't hate the player, hate the game. Toro Rosso may have conducted some illegal tire tests at Spa and developed puncture proof tires. Don't tell Charlie Whiting!

Driving over that debris and no puncture! :open_mouth: 

Don't hate the player, hate the game. Toro Rosso may have conducted some illegal tire tests at Spa and developed puncture proof tires. Don't tell Charlie Whiting!

Your secret is safe with me.

This forum has given new meaning to the phrase "don't hate the player, hate the game"...  unfortunately Codemasters have given us very little reason to doubt those words of wisdom

MUZZARIOL said:

This forum has given new meaning to the phrase "don't hate the player, hate the game"...  unfortunately Codemasters have given us very little reason to doubt those words of wisdom

ooohh low blow, it's by no means perfect but I've gotten great value for money from the game, and I think there's plenty other things which would be more deserving of hate haha

http://youtu.be/K-o_Y0E8v3c

I just did a race on my career mode at Monza, started 17th I had modest expectations for my result, until I got the the Ascari chicaine and madness erupted. I ended up winning the race by 3 seconds from Alonso, but 3rd place Vettel was over 40 seconds behind, I feel that if a safety car had come out in this situation which it should have, unless the martials are that quick then it could have made the race a bit more interesting.

Also, on the second lap Massa just decided he didn't want to race anymore

Finally, sorry for the camera phone quality, I don't have any video recording equipment

Massa pulled of with an engine problem, it just doesn't show on the screen like F1 06, but I wish it did.