Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

All Tracks seems generated and repeated...

Hi there...

I've spent now a couple of hours in Dirt 4 career mode and free mode.
I don't know whether it's only me, who feels this, but I see many passages are repeated even on the same track.
If u drive 100 different generated tracks, it feels like u have driven just 1 track.

"Ahh, that curve on that hill again..." I have that feeling very often. I think, I should make a video of it, to make an overlay :)

Are there any handbuild outback rally tracks in Dirt 4?

Uh huh. 
You know what every other rally game has? The same corner, followed by the same corner, same after that and so on.

After a while it stops being rally, because after you learn the track you can switch off the co-driver and drive from memory.
You may see a same corner in DiRT 4, but the series of corners after that is guaranteed to be different.
It's amazing tech and we should be happy it works so well. 

Vannipo said:
Hi there...

I've spent now a couple of hours in Dirt 4 career mode and free mode.
I don't know whether it's only me, who feels this, but I see many passages are repeated even on the same track.
If u drive 100 different generated tracks, it feels like u have driven just 1 track.

"Ahh, that curve on that hill again..." I have that feeling very often. I think, I should make a video of it, to make an overlay :)

Are there any handbuild outback rally tracks in Dirt 4?
So... I guess the whole part of the "My Stage track generator" concept was kind of lost on you huh? That's how these things work.
And no, there's no hand built rally tracks, they're all generated.

I do agree the tracks all have a kind of similair look. And I think they lost a little personalitu. But the unlimited diversity makes up for that. I'm very impressed by the my stage generator overall.

I think the "Your stage" system works very well. Okay, we don't see don't see very individual stages like Pomona Ékrixi and Bidno Moorland but it's because the sections must be somewhat generic to conceal when they reappears during a stage. 

Anyway they don't feel too generated and "gamey'", the forests and open sections come in a good variation and they feel quite natural.  My only concern is that it would be nice to have more narrow sections, especially in Michigan and Spain - I very rarely run into one-lane roads in Spain, and while I enjoy the high speed blast in the Michigan forests it would be even more adrenaline rush to do it with the trees closer to me. :D

The lighting and particle effects also improved over Dirt Rally. A couple of more locations would be great to have in the future as DLCs though: Germany for example would be sweet with the new tarmac physics.

JZStudios said:
So... I guess the whole part of the "My Stage track generator" concept was kind of lost on you huh? That's how these things work.
U guessed wrong.
But I feel the generator too much. The best generator would be the one u can't "feel".
To generate tracks with just 2 paramters, is not enough (for me / In MY opinion).

Considering this is V1 of Your Stage it is very impressive even though I have noticed repeated sections. I look forward to seeing how the team develop this feature in the future although I doubt it will be upgraded via patches in Dirt 4 so we may have to wait until Dirt 5 for V2 of Your Stage.

Thing is, it just feels like some rollercoaster. I mean, it's missing that feeling you have at ie. Fourkéta Kourva in DR - extremely tight downhill section followed by diverse hairpins, which were not created for racing, but as goat path ;-) ...

I agree with the OP's point, although I did expect that to be the case. One of the reasons I didn't really trust the reviews is this rarely if ever being mentioned. Especially as I noticed certain identical sections just from the first few videos of generated stages.

However, it's V1 of something and, whilst the stages in DR were excellent, it did defeat the point. Neither is perfect yet, but I think this is the way to go looking forward. This iteration may feel a bit like an advanced tech demo for it, but I'm still surprised at how seamless the actual stages are on an individual level. 

I've noticed it also in the Spain location but the question is how many different angles of of each turn have been created to be generated in the stage being built.  

if you ever played any game with track editors like track mania turbo there are a couple more and one on PS2 that had a really good track editor. The fact that we have a track builder in a rally game is awesome endless options of tracks to be built and enjoyed is a good thing.  

what I haven't noticed is there the natural rally circuits for each location forward and reversed like in dirt rally Or does every location have custom generated tracks only

It's a mixed bag. After all, real rally does tend to involve a certain number of roads and stages in real life, which is how things like Colin's Crest have become hallmarks.
When you go with 100% generated, there will never be such distinctive things to anticipate. And real rally does involve that kind of anticipation. 
The difference is that in a game, we can just race the same stages over and over as much as we want, mastering each part, which isn't really an option for real drivers. 
So its a compromise.

Now that the groundwork for the technology is in place, I personally think the best way to move forward is to start combining an improved Your Stage with a selection of real world stages.
It seems a bit of a fallacy to talk as if really WRC drivers always go into things completely blind?
After all, the driver and co-driver will go on recce runs to create the pace notes in the first place.
Or as the case may be, take their old pace notes and adjust them as they feel appropriate.

Having played it for several hours now sadly I don't see Your Stage as a game changer myself

It's just extremely lazy of them to give us this crap!

Every stage is the same only cut up and mixed around a bit. I'm bored of this crap already :(

How can you mean no offense calling someone an idiot? LOL

It's you who's the idiot if you can't see it! Offense intended!

Vannipo said:
JZStudios said:
U guessed wrong.
But I feel the generator too much. The best generator would be the one u can't "feel".
To generate tracks with just 2 paramters, is not enough (for me / In MY opinion).
You said they feel generated... and that's because they are. They seem to have gone for more of a random than procedural generation method which I was afraid of, but by doing random there's a certain level of quality control.
I had hoped that they had made a big open area that would have a procedurally generated track laid over it, but there's probably engine limitations for that. Also, by doing random generation they can more accurately guarantee more interesting features per stage.
It's a trade off between unpredictable and potentially boring, and predictable but space allocation... file sizes.
LVJ02 said:
I've noticed it also in the Spain location but the question is how many different angles of of each turn have been created to be generated in the stage being built.  

if you ever played any game with track editors like track mania turbo there are a couple more and one on PS2 that had a really good track editor. The fact that we have a track builder in a rally game is awesome endless options of tracks to be built and enjoyed is a good thing.  

what I haven't noticed is there the natural rally circuits for each location forward and reversed like in dirt rally Or does every location have custom generated tracks only
Potentially, the individual pieces COULD be mirrored and inverted for a total of 4 "different" variations of one section. Whether or not they did this, I don't know, but it'd be a good way to sort of add 4 times the variety.
The other thing is, if they are in tiles, it would've been cool to have a track editor so we could actually make them ourselves.

Hey, guys.
After a couple of days....
I think, now I know all generator sections. Turns left,  right, mirrored turns,
hills with curves later and so on.

5 minutes ago I'd driven some tracks in the campaign in Australia.
One track got three times the same combinations of hills and curves...

And after some hills, I thought "And let me guess, after that hill.... 2 right over hill?"
And yes, it came 2 right over hill...

Sorry, but this is no fun... (to me)

One thing I have noticed with what I have played so far is a lack of jumps. I don't recall going over a large jump anywhere in the generated stages.

Agree totally,
but I thought, I need better engine upgrades to get faster for jumps, where my codriver says I should jump.
But no nice jumps and jump curve combinations like found in Finland in DR.

Did you do the Second Group in career mode? There are some pretty huge jumps in these events.
The first group is really easy and newbie friendly with almost minimal complexity. 

Vannipo said:
Agree totally,
but I thought, I need better engine upgrades to get faster for jumps, where my codriver says I should jump.
But no nice jumps and jump curve combinations like found in Finland in DR.

The upgrades only 
affect durability. Not speed or performance.

I would just like to add my opinion to this Post, rather than start a new one.

Firstly I think the track generator is excellent and have really enjoyed some of the stages it creates. I too have noticed a lot of repeated sections and they seem to come in 3's.

Anyway, my main gripe is that none of the stages have features in them which make them stand out. They are all quite samey. . For instance I have not seen a town. Apparently there is in spain but, it would be nice to pass through some villages in Wales for example. At the moment its just winding forest to open are to winding forest to open area. it would be great to drive over the lakes on a brigde, Maybe add a quarry in there etc. I understand that this could actually create more complains of repetition but that would be better in my opinion Some changes of surface and width changes would be nice too.

I know its early days and maybe things will be implemented over time. Lets hope so.

I agree with the OP. I'd say most of the time it's ok, but there's some sections that feel so copy pasted everywhere and can appear several times on a track. It kind of takes you out of the immersion, which is a shame.