Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

All Tracks seems generated and repeated...

I also see Your Stage as the biggest problem of D4. CM are right - its a game changer - to worse, unfortunatelly.

Vannipo said
And after some hills, I thought "And let me guess, after that hill.... 2 right over hill?"
And yes, it came 2 right over hill...
Same thing would hapen if the stages where hand made. With a hand made stage that would hapen to you 10 out of 10 times. With Your Stage generated stage that probably can hapen 1 or 2 times out of 10.

Just saying!

It happens 10/10 in D4 too. I learned all the available corners in about 3 hours playing. Way worse than DR. They could have done it properly and include 10 times more variety and it wouldn't be a problem.

Yeah, i agree that same stages repeat some sections, but this tool is taking the first steps and is the way forward. The potencial is immense. All they need is a big pool of tiles, and make sure those tiles don't repeat in the same stage.

SnailDirt said:
Vannipo said
And after some hills, I thought "And let me guess, after that hill.... 2 right over hill?"
Same thing would hapen if the stages where hand made. With a hand made stage that would hapen to you 10 out of 10 times. With Your Stage generated stage that probably can hapen 1 or 2 times out of 10.

Just saying!
Ur answer is flying in the face of logic.
Of course that wouldn't happen. Cause it is handmade. And I can avoid repetitions, cause I know, what I did before...

Alf72 said:
Yeah, i agree that same stages repeat some sections, but this tool is taking the first steps and is the way forward. The potencial is immense. All they need is a big pool of tiles, and make sure those tiles don't repeat in the same stage.
Yes, even that could be enough

Vannipo said:
SnailDirt said:
Vannipo said

Just saying!
Of course that wouldn't happen. Cause it is handmade. And I can avoid repetitions, cause I know, what I did before...

Alf72 said:
And then you only have 12 different stages that by 100 hours in you remember all the important corners and exactly how to enter them and everything coming after it. I'm failing to see how that's better than recognizing a corner once you're in it but having no idea what's coming after it.

Scyy said:
Vannipo said:
SnailDirt said:
Vannipo said

Just saying!

Alf72 said:
And then you only have 12 different stages that by 100 hours in you remember all the important corners and exactly how to enter them and everything coming after it. I'm failing to see how that's better than recognizing a corner once you're in it but having no idea what's coming after it.
The question is, how - maybe - Codemasters can enhance the current TrackGen, that the players get more unpredictable tracks.
I think, they need some more parameters to be able to get modified by locical and random values. E.g. imagine a tile with a combination of a 3 left and 2 right. Whatever. They could change the degrees of the curves and modify the knolls and dips after the tile has been placed. So, this combination, if used later again, but with other parameters, is unique at any position.
Or they could build more "frozen" variations of a tile.

All in mind, that I don't know exactly, how they did it.

I notice the odd corner, like there's a 3 right tightens past junctions in Wales that comes up a lot, but honestly, most of the time I'm concentrating far too much to notice any other repeats/ remember what corners come next. I agree they occasionally get a bit same-y, mainly Wales, but that's what it's like in real life. Either forest or big open marsh land, not much else

Yes,
that all concerns just 2-3 passages in each country. They are very distinctive and u can remember them very ez. Specially the entrance to the forest in often the same when u come from the marshlands

And I should have said, I as well definitely notice repeats. But I think between the two this will give a longer lasting game in the long run.

I'm at about the 35 hour mark in Rally mode and you really do start to know certain combinations. There are only two acute corners in Spain—one with concrete barriers outside, one without. (EDIT: OK, and one in town too!) There's a series of sixes in a row that is always followed by a right one. There's a certain right three through gate in Australia that I either wreck on or go through in a wildly uncontrolled fashion almost every time…

So yeah, I am really hoping there is a provision in the engine for adding more road tiles at a later date! Like $2 for 30 more tiles would be something I'd gladly pay for. And not just one time either.

(And obviously new country DLC's are something we're all rooting for too!)

Vannipo said:
SnailDirt said:
Vannipo said

Just saying!
Of course that wouldn't happen. Cause it is handmade. And I can avoid repetitions, cause I know, what I diVannipo said:
Sorry, just to clarify my point, I wasn't talking about the repeated sections, I was talking about that feeling of knowing what's next.

The generated tracks really hurt career mode imo. You get the worst of both worlds. Tracks that never change, and now they have repetitive sections (not just individual corners repeated but combinations of 3-4 corners on the longer ones) and a lot of them have terrible co-driver calls.

SnailDirt said:
Vannipo said:
SnailDirt said:
Vannipo said

Just saying!
Of course that wouldn't happen. Cause it is handmade. And I can avoid repetitions, cause I know, what I diVannipo said:
Sorry, just to clarify my point, I wasn't talking about the repeated sections, I was talking about that feeling of knowing what's next.
When the track has been handmade, you only get that feeling once - then you forever know what's next, every time you race it. I think that was his point.

1andOnly said:
I also see Your Stage as the biggest problem of D4. CM are right - its a game changer - to worse, unfortunatelly.
I have to disagree, it might need some tweaking but it is definitely a big step forward.

What is it about YourStage that is makes it worse than a company giving us 2 stages to drive backwards and forwards time and time again?

Is this the no mans sky of racing?  I haven't followed this game so I had no idea before purchasing but when I began playing I noticed these courses felt a little bit no man sky ish.   

Very, very interesting to read the divisive opinions on YourStage. I personally love the idea behind it, beacuse let's face it, I could probably do Bidno Moorland Reverse in my sleep at this point.

Still haven't had time to play D4 yet, so I'll reserve any criticism I may have with it.

Whatever I might think of it at the end, I'll still love the fact that CM actually tried to give us a solution to the never ending problem and complaints regarding the lack of rally stages in their games.

I like the Your Stage feature, but I can't help get the feeling that not enough sections have been created for each location.

I feel that if you put each unique section together in a single stage, it would potentially only represent a single long stage from Dirt Rally given the limited variety I've seen.
Michigan is the best example here, as I've driven it the most to be able to pass comment, but the same few sections just repeat over and over there - sometimes reversed, sometimes mirrored, but always recognisable. They can also be identified by the unique co-driver calls, like "right 4, post outside", which takes away the unknown even if the running order of corners in unknown upon stage generation.

That's a big shortcut on development time for unique content; probably to allow the time to actually get this feature up and running.

However, with the reduction of locations from 6 to 5, and the limited unique appeal in each location, I do feel like we've got a shortage of content in this game. That's without even mentioning things like leagues that we currently don't have.

(I am still enjoying the game though - Pro Tour is a great addition so far)

SnailDirt said:
Vannipo said:
SnailDirt said:
Vannipo said

Just saying!
Ahh, now all of u said, makes sense :)
Yes, that is absolutely true.
But with this TrackGen it is nearly the same.#

Cause after many hours, u know any tile. You just need the listen about the combinations of them. U know the gear, the way u have to steer befor. U know before, how u can take them at max speed. Even it's coming out of a generator.
But, what is more worse? 10 unique tracks, or 10 tiles combined in many ways?

To be honest, I don't know exactly, yet. But maybe a mix of both will be nice?
Hey Codies, can u import the DR Tracks in D4 :)

Maybe I'm just dimwitted but I never really 'recognize' sections as being exactly the same except the Acute Right/Left ones and I guess the hairpins but theres always a lot of different camber/bumps/etc in the 1-6 corners so for me it feels different everytime!

I was coming here ready to bash Your Stage but reading this thread I realised how critical I was being. I've noticed a few samey sections - mainly a right-left sweeper into a hairpin right junction in Australia or that hairpin junction in Spain. It only annoys me that it can sometimes appear thrice in one stage and in the same direction and that it can't at least be laid out with a varying degree of elevation change (like a drop after the junction and the sweepers either side of a dip with a little camber change too) or maybe something simple like the scenery around that same shape of road mixed up a little.

The other sections that are less recognisable as 'that corner' or 'that junction' or 'that hill' just feel a little more generic and lacking in character unfortunately, whereas even if you can remember a DR stage in your sleep it's still sometimes nice to do that stage again the next season when you return to each location - let's face it that's why real-life rallies don't drop ALL stages after one use in a desperate attempt to use a roads that were never used before, save for one or two of the stages in the entire itinerary.

However I think we may have been spoiled with genuine real stages in DR a little bit. Not since Rally Championship from about 1999 with full (sometimes 20+ miles) of Pirelli International Rally or Rally of Wales stages has there been a rally game with real rally roads of over 10km. It's a little difficult to forget in DR you could drive on Sweet Lamb or Ouninpohja or up Col de Turini but, putting that aside, doing the same junction several times in one long stage is better than the piss-poor effort from the blackbean WRC games where you had just one 6km loop broken up into one rally.

Give it a few more years and Your Stage will have developed a little more and hopefully we'll see some real stages added in again alongside the YS ones (which is actually what I thought D4 was gonna be before playing it) and hopefully also some new locations and swapping one or two the tired old locations (Powys swapped for Grizedale, Kielder or North York Moors anyone?)

I just wish every stage wasn't a darn roller coaster.
Yes, some more open stages would be nicer. Even on least comlex they are generally quite complex. I guess that due to the lack of tiles available to use.

Btw, I still have not had a town on spain. No matter how many stages I try. Is there some sort of bug causing these repeats and irregularities maybe?