Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

All Tracks seems generated and repeated...

I just want to say, that samples should be much shorter than now, so that even a long corners will be unpredictable.
However it a great thing that they have done this.

JZStudios said:
I get that the generation is quite limited, and shouldn't be allowed to duplicate the same section twice in a route, but I really can't figure out why you guys think DR was so much better. I didn't really even play DR that much and going back after 3 months I still knew the track without the co driver every time.
I do kind of agree though that the sections could be made a bit smaller so instead of "There's that puddle, that means the next three turns are this" it just becomes "There's that puddle."
I think the problem with that is, they would have to REALLY work on the tiny sections and surroundings (since it's tiled) or they'd have to randomly generate the actual track, and then the placement of roadside objects/trees, which becomes harder to QC.

DR is limited by its content. The content however is great and the stages have personality. D4 is simply lacking in that department. Everything feels generic with a few exceptions. I can surely see the value of YourStage in the longrun but at the moment it is to limited in its variations which makes you end up almost everytime with the "same" kind of stage.

I found a partial solution to the problem and that is creating some shorter stages 3 to 4 km with easy to medium complexity.

I really hope Codies can further finetune YourStage in the coming months because it is something that has potential  :)

Something I think would make the repetitiveness less apparent is variations on the tiles. For example, same basic road layout, but with variations in surface topology (camber changes, bumps and ruts), obstacles (rocks etc.), and maybe also variations in width. I also would like to see more junctions – they really add to the feeling of the track being set in a real place. Spain in particular is bad at this, as you can drive for miles and miles without ever seeing another road, and when you do it's always joined with the same acute junction.

I'll just leave them here, to widen some horizons:
Fast Wales
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SeYK5PmHZY&t=193s
Forest Spain
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSRHbY-dE8A&t=36s
complex forest australia
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdWkPwb_48w
and complex snowy sweden
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xH04FQZnIqI

There can be achieved some variety with yourstage compared to the general feeling of each location

Voidhawk said:
This is the first uteration of "your stage".

Given time this will evolve and perhaps they will consider DLC tile packs etc.

I get exactly what you are saying but I also believe only a minority will even notice (or care about) the repetition.

Your points are valid though.

You speak for all of us do you then? What you believe, clearly isnt true and shouldnt be put a s "fact". I have played games for 30 years and owned them all and consoles, and dirt 4 was traded in the next day, why? Because its boring and dull, because the track editor is terrible. Codemasters have been lazy and thought they could get away with it, so they dont have to create real tracks, you dont speak for me or thousands others in the same boat. Dirt rally wins everytime.
Really? You've owned every game? And consoles? Boy that's impressive.
That aside, why are you still here if you returned it and aren't playing it? At this point your experience and right to piss and moan is over, you've got your money back.

Voidhawk said:

I get exactly what you are saying but I also believe only a minority will even notice (or care about) the repetition.

You speak for all of us do you then? What you believe, clearly isnt true and shouldnt be put a s "fact". I have played games for 30 years and owned them all and consoles, and dirt 4 was traded in the next day, why? Because its boring and dull, because the track editor is terrible. Codemasters have been lazy and thought they could get away with it, so they dont have to create real tracks, you dont speak for me or thousands others in the same boat. Dirt rally wins everytime.
Have fun hot lapping, whoops i mean rallying on dirt rally.

If you can't even see the reason why they went this route I don't know what to tell you. Sure it has areas that definitely need to be improved but that's pretty much the case with all ambitious ideas like this. I hope the idea doesn't get trashed because of people who are this short sighted.

I myself am absolutely loving that we finally can have long stages with truly long straights, something no rally game really ever has had.

Voidhawk said:

The irony is strong in this post.

Codemasters have been lazy and thought they could get away with it, so they dont have to create real tracks
I'm fine with you not liking the game, you're welcome to your opinions, but saying stuff like this is just insulting. The people making the game work unbelievably hard against tight deadlines and limited budget, and are clearly passionate about making the game the best it can be given the constraints they're facing.

Vannipo said:
Hey, guys.
After a couple of days....
I think, now I know all generator sections. Turns left,  right, mirrored turns,
hills with curves later and so on.

5 minutes ago I'd driven some tracks in the campaign in Australia.
One track got three times the same combinations of hills and curves...

And after some hills, I thought "And let me guess, after that hill.... 2 right over hill?"
And yes, it came 2 right over hill...

Sorry, but this is no fun... (to me)
Thank you....couldn't agree more sadly 

SnailDirt said:
Vannipo said
And after some hills, I thought "And let me guess, after that hill.... 2 right over hill?"
And yes, it came 2 right over hill...
Same thing would hapen if the stages where hand made. With a hand made stage that would hapen to you 10 out of 10 times. With Your Stage generated stage that probably can hapen 1 or 2 times out of 10.

Just saying!
Even so....when driving the stages on DiRT 4, I'm my head, I'm longing for the character in the stages within DR....even though I've done them a million times!!

1andOnly said:
I also see Your Stage as the biggest problem of D4. CM are right - its a game changer - to worse, unfortunatelly.
I have to disagree, it might need some tweaking but it is definitely a big step forward.

What is it about YourStage that is makes it worse than a company giving us 2 stages to drive backwards and forwards time and time again?
YourStage lacks that human creativity aspect...it's just so dull & boring and lacks any real feel sadly :(  That aside, the concept is admirable and I do hope that it will be tweaked add more 'colour' to it.  I would still prefer the stages in DR (forward & reverse) over YourStage in its current form

P308R said:
I've only done careerstages so far and it has been a hit and miss. There are some truly excellent stages but many other stages suffer from repeating the same stuff over and over again.

Example from the career
- A truly great YourStage in career: Spain, Vinedo Els Reguers
- Same corners over and over again: Australia, Sawtell Wood Ascent

I already explained myself in the Gossip thread but I prefer the limited content of handmade stages rather than the unlimited content of YourStage.
Couldn't agree more gov

@TIMDATOOLMAN83 you have an option to edit post and you can quote multiple persons.
Why the heck are you multi posting?

versedi said:
@TIMDATOOLMAN83 you have an option to edit post and you can quote multiple persons.
Why the heck are you multi posting?
@versedi "New Car Smell" says it all I think (sorry!!) now that I know (thank you @versedi) I will sharpen up cheers

I was under the impression that YourStage would "carve" a route into the landscape, but they truly are just tiles, and that's just not gonna cut it for the future of Dirt. It becomes especially laughable when you have literally 2 or 3 different types of hairpins per location: Acute Left and Open Hairpin Right in Australia; Left 5 Through Watersplash and Left 6 Through Watersplash in Michigan; not to mention the other highly repetitive tiles.

I expected that the width of road, elevation, bumps and dips, and camber would vary for said hairpin, but they seem to be exactly the same tiles. YourStage sounded like a game-changer but it has a looong way to go before they can legitimately say that. Each tile has had Nicky Grist pre-recorded and copy/paste. They have failed to make something truly dynamic and managed to make something rather characterless.

I remember a preview that touted that some really complex mathematical algorithms were at work here, but I fear for Codemasters' coding abilities if this is all they've managed after six years of working on YourStage. This sounds harsh and I must say that I loved Dirt Rally and maybe I had my hopes too high for this one, unfortunately I've come away disappointed.