Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

D4 Vs. DR graphics

So I spent the least amount of time possible trying to get some comparison screenshots for both DR and D4 to decide once and for all which one looks better. Both games are screencapped from PC set to ultra/max everything, except for advanced blending and AO off, MSAA at 4x. Of course 1080 P, because higher resolution is for chumps.
For the first trial, I've heard that rain looks better in DR, so setting the Mini loose on Wales in night time rain (To also test shadows/lighting) I came to some frankly unsurprising results.
The Mini's windshield... I took 3 screens of the windshield in the Mini in DR and they all look the same regardless of wiper position.

The other thing to take note of here is the MASSIVELY improved shaders. Notice how nothing looks wet at all in DR?

So moving on to shadows... I couldn't get any good shots in D4 based off the one stage I did... but I think DR might be better here. Don't exactly quote me, but it seems like more trackside objects in DR cast shadows than D4. In the pic above you can see the shadows of the crowd against the trees. I couldn't get any shots in DR, but the trees also cast shadows, whereas it would seem D4 does not.

The headlights in both games both have a "Volumetric" light ray effect.

Some ground textures/bump maps.

They look sort of terrible on muddy wales, but bump/normal maps and glossy materials rarely ever don't.

So... I could do more comparisons, but because I'm lazy I think I'll just do Hell because there's a massive improvement there if Wales wasn't enough.
Apparently they decided to change the camera positions/angle/zoom in DR and D4 so getting the same kind of wide shot is sort of impossible.

Personally I think Dirt 4 looks phenomenal 95% of the time. The new lighting model is a huge step forward from DR. My jaw hit the floor yesterday when I did sunset stages (dry weather) in both Michigan and Australia. It looks truly stunning.

^ The big takeaway is, lighting is more realistic, textures are better, shaders work like PBR (If they aren't then damn fine job Gents), shadows are more realistic if slightly reduced in trackside objects (For example, trees in Greece take zero lighting information from the sun and the tree root/ground don't look natureal. In D4 the trees have a lit/dark side, as well as casting a physical shadow) particles are higher res and more prevalent (Excellent work @urgaffel ) draw distance is actually increased so flora spawns MUCH farther away (Zoom in on the last two RX pics of the same turn) and actually... from the 3 cars I drove the interior details are the same with improved textures.
Oh also, the sky no longer has TERRIBLY ugly jpeg compression artifacts, crystal clear, smooth, noise free skies remain.
I have a lot more pictures, but it's a hassle to upload them... so maybe later.

ShodanCat said:
Personally I think Dirt 4 looks phenomenal 95% of the time. The new lighting model is a huge step forward from DR. My jaw hit the floor yesterday when I did sunset stages (dry weather) in both Michigan and Australia. It looks truly stunning.
Personally, I had a feeling it looked better, but after looking at the comparison screenshots... DR looks kind of gross now...
I can't get over how... not rainy rainy Wales looks in DR. The way everything actually looks wet in D4 is a massive improvement.

JZStudios said:
ShodanCat said:
Personally, I had a feeling it looked better, but after looking at the comparison screenshots... DR looks kind of gross now...
I can't get over how... not rainy rainy Wales looks in DR. The way everything actually looks wet in D4 is a massive improvement.
Yeah, the rain effects all around are my second favorite improvement in D4. Everything looks wet in a way very few games capture properly. The windshield effects in particular are stunning IMO (when they're working...) Then on top of that, the texture work for the wet stage surfaces (with puddles, ruts, etc) is great too.

WTF are you talking about. DR might not have fancy shaders but it has higher poly environment and higher texture quality. Look at your own screenshots and see how bad the ground, the people and the trees look. The jelly blobs on the windshield is not how water looks either.
Look at a good texture quality in DR and a blurry overexposed mess in D4

**** are you talking about. DR might not have fancy shaders but it has higher poly environment and higher texture quality. Look at your own screenshots and see how bad the ground, the people and the trees look. The jelly blobs on the windshield is not how water looks either.
You might need to check on your vision health. Go visit a doctor.

Higher texture quality? Please...
The weather and lighting are two most significant upgrades from DR.

most of it does look better but some instances do not look ideal.

thing is some maybe bugs also new gpu drivers are out for both amd and nvidia.

Google "Reshade". I play no racing game without it.

To add some atmosphere, I have sitched on

-MagicBloom (To add some pro-mist to the eyes/lens)
-Monochrome (to get rid of these cartoony colors)

and played around a bit with the values.

Reshade is an ez way, to push ur gfx.

Comparison video, where you can see Dirt 4 have got a Candy PS3-a-lke over saturated graphics
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtUn51tmk1o

In this video you can check the rollcage is just a simple tube without texture and there is too much light in the cabin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqV1KN8qKCs

one more thing:
Look how stuttering Dirt 4 while Dirt Rally runs so smooth 

@mesa there are complete different time of day and weather, how can you compare these two? stuttering can be done by rwong recording settings and encoding later. No thing to compare uppon here. 

there is bad youtube compression for Dirt 4.i dont why but there is.so many videos will look worse on youtube.

dgeesi0 said:
there is bad youtube compression for Dirt 4.i dont why but there is.so many videos will look worse on youtube.
Maybe because of 720p only available max for consoles

versedi said:
@mesa there are complete different time of day and weather, how can you compare these two? stuttering can be done by rwong recording settings and encoding later. No thing to compare uppon here. 
Irrelevant. There couldn't be the same amount of light at the top of the car and the bottom in the interior because of the roof. should generate ambient shadows, but not...

mesa said:
versedi said:
Irrelevant. There couldn't be the same amount of light at the top of the car and the bottom in the interior because of the roof. should generate ambient shadows, but not...
Should this, should that.

If you have so much experience and knowledge create a real list of feedback instead of double posting with talk.

I'm pretty sure @urgaffel would read your feedback and probably even answer you on some details why this and not that.

mesa said:
dgeesi0 said:
Maybe because of 720p only available max for consoles
im on pc and record upto 4k .its youtube.videos in certain views or instances cause pixelation . video is fine prior to upload.so many are judging graphics off videos on youtube which arent as good as in game.

It might just be me being of an older generation, but I tend to appreciate gameplay more than visuals. The fact of the matter is, D4 still looks great, whichever way you throw the car. 

I think the game has a perfect combination of feel, sight and sound to portray what is a deeply atmospheric collection of racing disciplines. Being fortunate enough to attend rallies almost every year since I was a lad, I can fully appreciate the love and attention that's gone into the game and how it represents the sports we love.

Phenomenal effort in my opinion, and I have much love for all involved, from the PR team through to the coders. 

JZStudios said:
So moving on to shadows... I couldn't get any good shots in D4 based off the one stage I did... but I think DR might be better here. Don't exactly quote me, but it seems like more trackside objects in DR cast shadows than D4. In the pic above you can see the shadows of the crowd against the trees. I couldn't get any shots in DR, but the trees also cast shadows, whereas it would seem D4 does not.
Yeah, I haven't seen dynamic shadows in D4, even with Night Lighting and Shadows on ultra. I reported it in the bug thread, since the dynamic shadows in Dirt Rally look so good and more importantly make the driving feel so real. Even with D4's second patch and the GeForce 382.53 driver, still nothing. :cry:

dwkGravey said:
JZStudios said:
Yeah, I haven't seen dynamic shadows in D4, even with Night Lighting and Shadows on ultra. I reported it in the bug thread, since the dynamic shadows in Dirt Rally look so good and more importantly make the driving feel so real. Even with D4's second patch and the GeForce 382.53 driver, still nothing. :cry:
It's going to be an in game thing, it just doesn't exist anymore.

So, @mesa and @brownmaster have both been stricken from the record I guess? They're posts aren't visible and I didn't do it, but it seems like they brought up textures and world detail, so I'll do that next, even though the RX shows clear improvement in world detail, but whatever.
So turns out Brownmaster has been with us less than a day, and has only made disagreeable comments apparently.
I know for a fact that Mesa's been around a while, because I remember him talking mad smack about DR when it dropped... so his change of attitude there I find interesting.

Look at this pretty.. I mean pretty terrible roadside Nissan Titan (I know what it is, you can't fool me generic font!)

So, I need to get more pictures of textures, but it's very difficult since I can't really get the camera close to anything.

So, I'd say that D4 has higher res textures. They are different, and maybe that's why people don't like them... but they certainly aren't worse. Some textures I'm pretty sure are the same.

The other thing I'd like to note here is... Why are some of the trees in DR covered in snow? If it snowed enough to coat them that thickly, then why are only some covered? Conversely, if the snow melted/fell off, again, why are some covered but some aren't? D4 is more consistent in this regard.

As to people and other roadside objects... people are hard to get close to before you "murder" them at 3mph... so... here.

So unsurprisingly, the better models, textures, animations, shaders, general lack of repetitiveness goes to D4. Without a doubt.
Moving on to the trackside objects...

I forgot to stop and really take a close up of the little house/cabins/whatevers in Sweden, so I have this as next closest.

At this time I'd like to say how absolutely infuriating it is that in D4 the stupid replay control bar shows up EVERY time you touch anything. In DR you just toggled in on or off, in D4 it never stops coming back.

So, in the case of the ambulance and the other SUV emergency vehicle the models look identical, just with improved shaders in D4. If anything changed about them they're actually a bit smoother in D4.

JZStudios said:
Look at this pretty.. I mean pretty terrible roadside Nissan Titan (I know what it is, you can't fool me generic font!)

I'm pretty sure that's a Ford Raptor

JZStudios said:
dwkGravey said:
JZStudios said:
It's going to be an in game thing, it just doesn't exist anymore.
Seems so. You can see in the April trailer that objects aren't casting shadows at 0:24-0:27:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-9JLHIqUfQ

They were there in the January announcement trailer (0:36-0:42):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUUXkBY4idk

Bummer. I hope they get added back!