Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

D4 Vs. DR graphics

Physical based rendering ftw... Impressive how realistic this looks...

Didzis said:
JZStudios said:
Look at this pretty.. I mean pretty terrible roadside Nissan Titan (I know what it is, you can't fool me generic font!)

I'm pretty sure that's a Ford Raptor
Think it's kind of a combination... It's got the Ford bumpy side window, but the front looked more Nissan. Looking at the real picture now, the Nissan also has that bump in the window. The one in game has more the old Titan front bumper though, complete with round logo on the front.
httpswwwnissanusacomvlp-assetsmediafuture-vehiclestitan-warriorsocial-mediafacebooknissan-titan-warriorjpg

Anyways, the Nissan and the Ford look pretty similar.

I prefer the DR graphics. I don't think I could prove it with SS.

I admit, although, that I'm getting use to D4 graphics.

Also some special look better than other.

Ak1504 said:

Wow looks so nice practically photorealistic.
is this on PC with graphics settings on high?
i don't own D4, is this your livery or is it part of what's on offer in game? Love that livery.

I think a lot of people are confusing "graphics" with "aesthetics." In terms of technical graphical fidelity I find it hard to believe that anyone would think it's somehow worse than DR (with the exception of the missing dynamic shadows at night), but in terms of aesthetics it's more subjective. I could see how someone might think Wales is more aesthetically pleasing in DR for example, even if the technical quality is better.

I'm finding D4 to be very good looking, especially the lighting and water. The road surface in the rain in DR didn't really look wet as JZStudios mentioned, but now there are streams of water and puddles all over the road, and pools of water in the ditches along the roadside, and it all looks fantastic. Running a sunny stage where the road is still wet from previous rain is awesome.

BadD0g said:
I think a lot of people are confusing "graphics" with "aesthetics." In terms of technical graphical fidelity I find it hard to believe that anyone would think it's somehow worse than DR (with the exception of the missing dynamic shadows at night), but in terms of aesthetics it's more subjective. I could see how someone might think Wales is more aesthetically pleasing in DR for example, even if the technical quality is better.

I'm finding D4 to be very good looking, especially the lighting and water. The road surface in the rain in DR didn't really look wet as JZStudios mentioned, but now there are streams of water and puddles all over the road, and pools of water in the ditches along the roadside, and it all looks fantastic. Running a sunny stage where the road is still wet from previous rain is awesome.
Agreed. Anyone claiming that DR looks better is frankly wrong.
I just saw a video of some comparing D3 to D4 and a lot of people thought D3 looked better... I don't agree, for a multitude of reasons, but it's not hard to jam pack geometry and higher res textures is a smaller more confined location, such as the entirety of D3.
The other sort of noticeable "downgrade" I've found in D4 is the reflection update frequency. The older games had the cars too reflective, but the reflections were smooth (If a bit low res.) In D4 the reflections are higher res, but they update less frequently. Although the new shading model does make them a bit less reflective... so it's not quite as noticeable...

chen255 said:
Ak1504 said:

Wow looks so nice practically photorealistic.
is this on PC with graphics settings on high?
i don't own D4, is this your livery or is it part of what's on offer in game? Love that livery.
Pic was taken on PC at 4K/ultra settings (except shadows on high and crowds on low) and downsampled to 1080p.

Livery created using ingame livery editor :) Glad that you like it, love messing around with the editor, which is sthg I've been hoping to make an appearance for a long time now.

Some more:

versedi said:
Honestly, how this can look worse comparing to DR I don't know...
Well they've got to have something to moan about, since they can't find more excuses for the handling.

A bit offtopic, but I find it funny: when you have the graphics set to the lowest and you win an even, since there are no crowds, you're all alone on the stand with your trpohy, it just looks sad. Like you won, but noone even bothered to show up :( :D 

Didzis said:
A bit offtopic, but I find it funny: when you have the graphics set to the lowest and you win an even, since there are no crowds, you're all alone on the stand with your trpohy, it just looks sad. Like you won, but noone even bothered to show up :( :D 
That's rad!

I've been 'collecting' screenshots of the location flyby shots that show road signs because I love the depth of field effect.

I also did some historic rally with the Mini and found this amazing sky in Australia:

Well, if this is going to turn into pretty screenshots, here's a few of my favorites from my comparison album.

JZStudios said:
Well, if this is going to turn into pretty screenshots, here's a few of my favorites from my comparison album.

Seeing it from a far, I'm evem more convinced it's a Ford Raptor, the Titan has a different front, has curved quarter-panels and looks a bit more taller/bulkier (sorry, I won't bring this up anymore :D) 

Didzis said:
JZStudios said:

Seeing it from a far, I'm evem more convinced it's a Ford Raptor, the Titan has a different front, has curved quarter-panels and looks a bit more taller/bulkier (sorry, I won't bring this up anymore :D) 

No, no, I went to the hospital today and saw some other older Ford model that looked more like it. This one specifically is 2009.
httpswwwcstatic-imagescomstock900x600253421jpg

But the front grill still makes me think Nissan, none of the Fords have a front grill like that.
God, why do all trucks have to look the same? The Titan has a slightly different body type, but the front end sure isn't a Raptor, but I SWEAR I've seen it before. I'm not even convinced that F-150 is what I saw because it had like the exact same front end. It's the primarily black plastic with a round logo and the body paint color front fenders around the cheap front black plastic bumper. None of the Fords my 5 minutes of googling showed have that. I'm convinced it's an older Nissan.

These are the important questions we need the answers to!

After playing lots of D4 in various combinations  (stages / weather / time of day / car),  I come to the conclusion that it looks darn good, while being a bit skeptical at first. D4 has very different visual aesthetics than DR (which looks good in its own way) in the lighting and color grading department. DR looks more grim and serious (which is valid aesthetics choice) while D4 looks more vibrant in various weather/time of day conditions. On a rainy stage, D4 is far better looking.

JZStudios said:
Look at this pretty.. I mean pretty terrible roadside Nissan Titan (I know what it is, you can't fool me generic font!)

If you were serious: That is a Ford F-150 (maybe Raptor), not a titan

SkyRex said:
JZStudios said:

But is it the S1 E2? (remembers haunting Audi debates from last year) 

JZStudios said:

At this time I'd like to say how absolutely infuriating it is that in D4 the stupid replay control bar shows up EVERY time you touch anything. In DR you just toggled in on or off, in D4 it never stops coming back.

If you hit square (on ps4) while the replay toolbar is up, and turn Broadcast Mode 'On', the toolbar disappears permanently.

SkyRex said:
JZStudios said:

Or a 22B?

SkyRex said:
JZStudios said:

Or a 22B?
Or an RS500 (iirc that one was involved as well :D)

After playing lots of D4 in various combinations  (stages / weather / time of day / car),  I come to the conclusion that it looks darn good, while being a bit skeptical at first. D4 has very different visual aesthetics than DR (which looks good in its own way) in the lighting and color grading department. DR looks more grim and serious (which is valid aesthetics choice) while D4 looks more vibrant in various weather/time of day conditions. On a rainy stage, D4 is far better looking.
See, here you're comparing "Aesthetics" as opposed to "Graphics." In 3d, aesthetics is more like the theme or feeling, graphics is the actual visible fidelity, and that includes everything I've talked about here (Minus the Ford.)
Aesthetics includes color grading, tone, art style, most post processing effects, etc...
Graphics includes models, textures, lighting, shaders, etc...
So with both games they're shooting for realism, and I yet again side with D4. DR has some cool vistas, especially in Greece. There's nothing quite like racing flatout on the edge of a cliff drop off on one side, and a cliff face on the other, especially with triple screens as you can see everything.
However DR has some ugly desaturated colors and most tracks have a brownish color grading on them that looks pretty bad. Take both Greece and Wales for example, why do the greens not look green?

So, I really like Greece because it's very similar to where I live, and I can't help but think that this ENTIRE mountainside must be seriously dying. I can't think of any other reason those plants would be so grey. It's like it's the worst drought Greece has ever seen. I literally live in the desert where we don't get rain for months and there's way more actual green everywhere. And it's incredibly brown here. Greece does not look realistic. Plants are green with chlorophyll, but in DR it's like they're all dead. Oh, and in DR nothing really looks the same... I know that certain bushes/trees have different shades of green, but the way it is in DR is pretty nuts. Wales in particular has really, really dark trees but super bright grass. It's just weird.
D4 has natural colors, and if it is PBR, then well... that pretty much settles it. PBR has the advantage of looking 100% correct in every lighting condition. The shaders in DR require all sorts of shader tweaks and lighting hacks to look okay for select environments, probably also why D4 has many more time of day selection options. For some reason people said Australia specifically looks like a cartoon? I really don't understand that.
httpwwwthereallifeprojectcomwp-contentuploads201302kokkino_lithari_gamila_1jpgw240
Look at that green in that Greek mountain. Look at that super green bush that's clearly much greener than it is in DR.
Brown is the mortal enemy of aesthetics and yet people defend it like crazy.

SkyRex said:
JZStudios said:

I'm telling you, that front end is not a Ford front end! :s

@JZStudios

I agree with you largely although I would argue that in the real world, nature has rarely eye popping colors and it is more on the pastel side and subdued (including in that mountain photo you posted). Games depicting nature have this huge tendency to overdo vibrant colors so it stands out more, but in the end it often looks more "gamey" if not careful. It is very difficult to portray greens  properly in games, in particular grass but also vegetation in general.
D4 lighting is better than DR's, no question, although it (to me) sometimes look more "gamey" saturated. Which is OK as an artistic choice.
Note that many people like saturated colors in games as shown by the popularity of the Reshade tool and similar. Personally, I really like games
that go for a more desaturated look and toned down colors, although for D4 I do not mind and I think they did a great job. Played Australia under heavy rain yesterday for the first time and it looked incredible.