Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

D4 Vs. DR graphics

@JZStudios because people have completely miscalibrated monitors. Additionally, for a monitor that displays colours at least decent, it's not a small price. 

@JZStudios

I agree with you largely although I would argue that in the real world, nature has rarely eye popping colors and it is more on the pastel side and subdued (including in that mountain photo you posted). Games depicting nature have this huge tendency to overdo vibrant colors so it stands out more, but in the end it often looks more "gamey" if not careful. It is very difficult to portray greens  properly in games, in particular grass but also vegetation in general.
D4 lighting is better than DR's, no question, although it (to me) sometimes look more "gamey" saturated. Which is OK as an artistic choice.
Note that many people like saturated colors in games as shown by the popularity of the Reshade tool and similar. Personally, I really like games
that go for a more desaturated look and toned down colors, although for D4 I do not mind and I think they did a great job. Played Australia under heavy rain yesterday for the first time and it looked incredible.
Man, looking out my window right now when it's 100/38 degrees and we haven't had rain for months there's more green than in DR. And that's taking place in Greece, where if it was any closer to the sea it'd be an island. That's like saying Hawaii isn't really that green and colorful.
I have NEVER seen something as "pastel" as DR. May as well say that COD and Nier Automata as well as everything else with a brown filter is more realistic. I do not now, nor will I EVER understand the notion of "If it's realistically colorful, it looks like garbage, I want my brown filters and no amount of actually being outside to look at a tree or seeing actual photos will make me understand that I am in fact quintessentially wrong."
It's not. I didn't want to because my camera was a piece of crap, but here's some real life unadulterated pictures of "rarely eye popping colors," taken with a camera that sucks and doesn't get as colorful as reality. Look at how brown everything is.

Look, these reds and yellows are actually super brown, the camera in my phone just naturally and instantly adds instagram color filters to the raw image.

Notice how the browns are brown, the greens are green and the blue is blue? Reds are red, yellows are yellow, whites are white? Also, the last picture is the leaves of the Palo Verde tree. If you aren't Spanishally inclined, it means green bark. I think it's fairly obvious why.
I know it's a hard concept for the brown filter lovers, but green, red, blue, yellow, purple, orange etc... are in fact not brown. I do not understand the concept of "Nature has no color, only brown." I really hope these people go on vacation to Hawaii or the rainforest, and then when people ask them how it was and what it looked like, they'll just go "Eh, everything was really brown." "Well, how about the water? Was is super clear and blue?" "Nope, also brown."

Seriously, I can't tell you enough how dumb it is to me for people to say that brown filters are more realistic. They just aren't, and I live in a place where everyone complains about how brown everything is.
I guess this sunsets also really actually brown too.

versedi said:
@JZStudios because people have completely miscalibrated monitors. Additionally, for a monitor that displays colours at least decent, it's not a small price. 
This is also true. I have 2 super cheap IPS panels and 1 cheap TN. They don't really match that well, but you can get it close enough. There's still always the HDR thing, as screens really don't show the dynamic range human eyeballs have, much less like 99% of cameras.

The current daily with the Sierra in Australia is probably the worst example of graphics in D4. 

In those lighting conditions it just looks flat and dull.

In Dirt 4 everything is candy-lollipop oversaturated.
Codemasters should put a simple slider to graphics menu as Kunos did in case of Assetto Corsa and every single person should set its value to their own preferences. That would be awesome!

ps. : except car interiors, the saturation level should adjust only the environments

Everything looks flat and shaderless in Dirt 4. It's like they forgot the Ambient Occlusion.

Coloring and shading looks as flat as ARMA III

Didzis said:
JZStudios said:
Well, if this is going to turn into pretty screenshots, here's a few of my favorites from my comparison album.

Seeing it from a far, I'm evem more convinced it's a Ford Raptor, the Titan has a different front, has curved quarter-panels and looks a bit more taller/bulkier (sorry, I won't bring this up anymore :D) 

I believe it's the same model used in grid 2 for the overtake gamemode.
https://youtu.be/wk-ixqG2ewQ

mesa said:
In Dirt 4 everything is candy-lollipop oversaturated.
Codemasters should put a simple slider to graphics menu as Kunos did in case of Assetto Corsa and every single person should set its value to their own preferences. That would be awesome!

ps. : except car interiors, the saturation level should adjust only the environments

...No. Did you not see the pictures I posted of things specifically NOT being over saturated?
Did you also forget to mention that the PP effects in AC look like total crap hence an entire modding community built around making it not crap? None of the AC PP effects look normal or natural.
SIDWULF said:
Everything looks flat and shaderless in Dirt 4. It's like they forgot the Ambient Occlusion.

Coloring and shading looks as flat as ARMA III
There's so much wrong with this statement, and it's in direct confrontation with the previous quote.
The game that has a brown filter over everything so the sky isn't even blue doesn't look flat, but the one with natural and realistic colors and shaders does... Right...
Ambient occlusion is also total BS for more than 57 different ways and should really never be used. And AO (Or lack thereof) doesn't make things look flat or shaderless one way or another. That's another one for the list of the dumbest comments I've ever heard.
You're saying that this:

looks just as flat and colorless as this:
httpsarma3comassetsimgscreenshotslargearma3_screenshot_01jpg
But not this?

Even Arma looks better than DR.
I'm assuming (since this is so dumb) that you're trying to troll.

So far, I've only really rallied in Michigan and some land rush. I must say that so far I'm underwhelmed. The saturated colours are a real eye-sore in Michigan, especially during daytime. I agree with many on here that the ambient occlusion doesn't seem to be working as it should.
The driver/codriver and interiors of the cars are much improved from Dirt Rally.
The environments are what we look at most and they feel very flat (as in lacking depth) due to the garish colours and poor lighting effects.

@JZStudios, event the first image you attached proofs that D4 is oversaturated. Those collors are not realistic at all.
What A3 and DR is trying to simulate is air, which is not super transparent. The air, in real life full of particles, makes colors dull.
Maybe D4 image is more spectacular, but for some reasons people eyes/brain is more prone to accept toned down images to be more realistic.

Bluestig said:
Didzis said:
JZStudios said:
Well, if this is going to turn into pretty screenshots, here's a few of my favorites from my comparison album.

Seeing it from a far, I'm evem more convinced it's a Ford Raptor, the Titan has a different front, has curved quarter-panels and looks a bit more taller/bulkier (sorry, I won't bring this up anymore :D) 

I believe it's the same model used in grid 2 for the overtake gamemode.
https://youtu.be/wk-ixqG2ewQ

Haha, sure is. Looks like it might be up resed a bit more though.

Okay, so I really don't understand why
1. So many people seem to think the shaders and lighting in D4 are worse when they're more accurate and there's not NEARLY as much visual bugs just from poor lighting in DR
2. Why they continually say it's over saturated... Seriously, are your monitors calibrated correctly?
3. How that somehow makes the image "flat" and lacking in depth... The only thing I can think of is atmosphere, which is present in D4, but not to the crazy extent of DR. I get that Wales in DR is basically always cloudy/foggy, but Australia compared to Greece is much more realistic. I don't know how smog laden Greece is, especially in the mountains, but it really resembles something like downtown L.A.

It's really gross. I mean, you're BREATHING that. FYI, that "blue" in back isn't ocean, it's just smog over the city.
I mean, by comparison where I live, we have unlimited visibility.

I feel like people complaining about the graphics are playing a different game than I am. Does the console version look really bad or something? Is everyone's monitor or TV calibrated wrong? I seriously don't understand how anyone could think this game looks "flat" or the colors are "oversaturated," especially if their monitor is set up right.

BadD0g said:
I feel like people complaining about the graphics are playing a different game than I am. Does the console version look really bad or something? Is everyone's monitor or TV calibrated wrong? I seriously don't understand how anyone could think this game looks "flat" or the colors are "oversaturated," especially if their monitor is set up right.
According to the Digital Foundry comparison video... no. I really don't get it either. Like, did they not look at the comparison shots I did? Should I just focus on all the flaws of DR?
I mean, technically the "environment" in the far distance in DR is "more realistic" being a low res picture... but otherwise I just don't know. Saying it looks flat makes no sense to me.

JZStudios said:

Okay, so I really don't understand why
1. So many people seem to think the shaders and lighting in D4 are worse when they're more accurate and there's not NEARLY as much visual bugs just from poor lighting in DR
2. Why they continually say it's over saturated... Seriously, are your monitors calibrated correctly?
shaders quality (or improvement) doesn't have to go in pair with saturation. Those might be (and are) different and not connected things.
let's say, lighting is improved (tonemapping, hdr, reflections, incl. diffused ones) but colors are set by textures and are a bit oversaturated and/or not dimmed down enough by depth of athmosphere.

And imo the only proof is, that this so-called oversaturation has been noticed by many people who knows how reality does look. To notice it, to comment it, one don't have to be skilled, educated or so. Everyone of us knows how a world around looks like. If we say that something looks off, means the difference big enough to notice it..

I think people complaining about colour must be on LSD and see more colours than most on a day to day basis. 

D4 looks great. Stop it with unreal expectations. Focus energy on providing feedback on the relevant stuff, you know, like the gameplay? Christ! 

Dirt 4 is way better in terms of graphics than DR. I just wish they (lazy Nvidia) would fix the SLI compatibility for Dirt 4 so I can play it maxed out in 4K like I used to in DR.

sqdstr said:
Dirt 4 is way better in terms of graphics than DR. I just wish they (lazy Nvidia) would fix the SLI compatibility for Dirt 4 so I can play it maxed out in 4K like I used to in DR.
Man, I wish Nvidia would fix all sorts of sh....tuff. They come up with things that would be cool, but don't bother ever actually making them work.

Edit* Since I'm running triple screens on a 960, another broken "feature" of Nvidia is the "surround." I don't know when it came out, but it's been having the same issues for the past 7 years at least. It's insane. To switch to surround in the old days, you had to open the Nvidia config, check the "Enable surround" button, close everything else running on your PC, set up your monitor positioning, click apply, reset your monitor positioning because it's randomly reassigned your monitors. It NEVER saves your setup. Ever. Every single time you have to redo the entire process.

In 7 years the only thing they've managed to do is add a broken toggle button. it tends to unassign itself randomly, but when it works it will put you in surround.
However, for some reason it enables an irritating marquee selection box around icons that NEVER goes away. Sometimes, randomly, it does, but it always returns. Apparently it's a legacy thing from like Win98 for people to use keyboard navigation that's STILL present in Win10, which surround still enables there. There's seriously no way to ever turn this off.
Also, when you do it again to get out of surround, it put's you in single screen mode, not triple screen extended.

That doesn't even include the issues when running in surround mode. Nvidia seriously do not care. They push it as marketing to try and sell products but it's really just broken promises and misspent hope.
Reading old forums, AMD has had all of this solved since 2010, maybe prior. It'll do a full hotkey switch to surround mode, and a single hotkey switch back. In 7 years Nvidia refuses to do anything about it.

Count me in the "Dirt 4 looks more realistic" camp. Like really, have y'all never seen the outdoors? It's actually very colourful! In fact, most photos make it look less colourful because they don't do the clever things your brain does to filter out glare and reflections.

I want to emphasise that last point, too, because it's important: making things look like photographs is not the same as making things look like how they appear in person. Your brain does a lot of filtering and processing on what you see, which is why it's so hard to make photos that look like what you remember, and that's before you take into account the huge variability in digital image processing, monitor/TV calibration etc.

But watching replay is like watching TV, right?. Why shouldn't we see TV-colors then? Even nintendo-cam is just a cam.

Speaking about a brain, while playing game on TV, brain expects image produced by cameras and displayed on screen. So it expects quality and color range valid for such processed signal. Maybe in this case the brain doesn't expect colours known from reality? This might be a reason why people have doubts about realism of those colors.

Another thing is that nature is indeed colorful, but only as long as lighten by neutral (white) light. Most of the day nature reflects blue-like light (diffused light from sky) and even sunlight is filtered by air. Try to add blue color to the scene, you will see the result.

However we will argue, My feeling while watching image bellow is, it doesn't look realistic (colour-wise):

Someone posted this in the Gossip thread, but I think it's also relevant here (I know it says sound in the title, but you can very well see the graphics too). While there are some bad places in D4 too, generally D4 just makes DR look washed out, especially looking at Germany vs Spain
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ro-1O9om0eg

I'd have to say Michigan does need some more color variation in the tree leaves. They do kind of blend, and more color would be more realistic anyways.

Not overly impressed how D4 looks on my system, not in Australia anyways. Maybe I'm just half blind.

Sure it's not amazing, but it's what? A 10 year old engine? The fact it's as good as it is is impressive.

JZStudios said:
Sure it's not amazing, but it's what? A 10 year old engine? The fact it's as good as it is is impressive.
I'm not saying it's terrible. In the right conditions it can look spectacular. I'm just a bit underwhelmed by Australia.