Sign in to follow this  

DiRT 4 Pro Tour is the worst gaming experience I've had in years

JeffPhelps said:
Plus I couldn't choose the controls I wanted.  Sheesh!  Big step back IMO.
Erm, you can map the controller buttons to any configuration you like... 
They did a good job of hiding that option because I looked for a long time.  It sure wasn't obvious.  I'm using a keyboard btw.  No mapping options anywhere I looked and I looked about everywhere there was to look.  I could map everything except steering and it's totally in the wrong spot.  The "," and the "." would never have been my choice for steering.

I am really enjoying pretty much every aspect DiRT 4, but Pro Tour is the only downer for me. I am only really playing Pro Tour for the trophies and its been pretty frustrating so far. Long waits for races and the game has frozen twice at the end of the event (when I have won!) which has left me no choice but to quit and restart the game: at which point I get a point deduction! 

For the people complaining about engineers vanishing/costing more than your winnings to replace, you get a message 1 race before their contracts end. If you go to the staff section of your team you can right click on them and amend their contract to add more races to it without having to pay the huge signing bonus.

I've found pro tour to be pretty fun when you can find enough people for a race. Best time seems to be early morning(US eastern time) and late night. That seems to be when all the Europeans are up and playing. You will still most likely have to wait a few mins to get a race though.

Been hesitant about trying Pro Tour for the past month; spent credits to upgrade my car, played one stage, finished 4th out of 5, game crashed and got the warning about quitting and having points deducted.  Won't be trying it again.  :/

I agree, long waits before start to run.
It's rare to start a race... maybe few people join to this game mode.
Also I don't agree with scores assigned to final ranking, why should I receive negative score if I placed over third position?

I really like the idea of pro tour mode, every lobby I have joined has had some very close battles which are heaps of fun. I really enjoy having a competitive mode like this were it feels like every race matters unlike joining a random lobby online.
On console I haven't experienced any of the crashing issues others have talked about above. The only problem for me is how few people are playing and therefore how long it takes to get a game. Hence I am here while I wait for a game, I have already had 2 games though.

Edit: had a third game now and there is kinda another problem. Because there aren't many players I'm just getting matched with the same people all the time. While I'm having a fun close battle at the front I feel bad for the one guy who just keeps getting beat and losing more and more rank against clearly faster drivers

Gave this a second try.  Yesterday I was able to gain 6 points in a couple events. Tried it again today and the game crashed after finishing second in two stages resulting in the loss of all points I've gained. If it means anything, the game crashed when I clicked 'Spectate' after the second stage. 

The only way I'll bother with Pro Tour again is out of sheer boredom. If it crashes again that's three strikes your out. 

I like the idea because it provides a form of career mode in a multiplayer environment, as does the points system in SLRE.
Trouble is, I often play in short sessions and lack patience to wait in lobby . For me one of the great things about DR's leagues and "online" events is that I can compete with hundreds of players at times to suit me, even if nobody else is online at the time. You don't get that with circuit racers.
What really put me off though was using points due to technical issues. I appreciate the need to punish quitters but several times I've been sitting  on the finish line, smugly waiting for 5+ points only to have the game crash as soon as the last competition finishes and be awarded -7. If they can't make the game stable how about a 3 hour ban for quitting but no points lost? 

Not that it really matters because until the physics is sorted because that's what stops me playing in the first place.

I appreciate peoples frustration with this mode more now. I finally found a game and was having a good time only for it to crash with me way in the lead after 3 stages. Minus 7 points :(
Now I can't even find a game to get those points back. So frustrating because I really enjoy it when it works

The problems were reported from day one on, but nobody from CM did answer this. There is not roadmap or info for at least some fixes for Dirt 4, so it seems already abandoned. 

DiRT 4 could be my first PS Platinum ever, but the ‘Complete 25 Events in Pro Tour’ achievement is kicking my butt.  Not even sure how many I’ve completed (maybe 5 or 6?) but the long waits are killing me.

Otherwise the mode is fun.  Not as much crashing as I recall last year.

Got the ‘Sweaty’ trophy achievement several weeks past.  I wanted to mention that 25 events came more quickly than I would have thought. I have a suspicion it requires completing 25 stages, not necessarily 25 ‘events’.

Does the number of stages per event ever increase past two in the higher tiers?  I’m currently in the middle of tier 3 somewhere.