Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Driving up to the marshal not marshall

Sho846 said:
I like it a lot. Its way better with it than without.
I like it too. I would keep it on if there was a setting for it. 

I like it too. it adds immersion.
But is there a penalty for not stopping next to marshal in given time? It should IMO.

It would be better if a distance to marshal will be increased, because often it forces to start breaking before a finish, which is not fun because of loosing time and not realistic.

Sumrs413 said:
It would be better if a distance to marshal will be increased, because often it forces to start breaking before a finish, which is not fun because of loosing time and not realistic.
Yup. I would also like it is there were a few pace notes after the finish line. Its just scary crossing the line at top speed and not knowing how the road is behind a blind corner or crest.

Well you get penalised if you hit spectators after the finish, but that does not get added to your stage time. If your sponsor requires you to drive a clean stage/not get a penalty though, carnage after the finish line will count. I believe car damage also carries over.

kobeshow said:
Well you get penalised if you hit spectators after the finish, but that does not get added to your stage time. If your sponsor requires you to drive a clean stage/not get a penalty though, carnage after the finish line will count. I believe car damage also carries over.

True. Yesterday I wanted to finish a rally before I had to leave and to speed it up, I also drove past the marshal. Unfortunately, that was the reason why my sponsor was not satisfied. Driving through or hitting the spectators means recovery!

I personally like it, it adds a little bit to the "oh F**** moment when getting to the end of the stage with cooked brakes. :smiley:

Sumrs413 said:
I agree, especially in Sweden I've had some crazy brakings before the finish line just to avoid a horrible crash. Though I have to put it here - it is like that IRL. They have very short brakings sometimes like I've mentioned before - in MC or Spain particularly. 

Alf72 said:

> Players want more realism, authenticity, immersion, whatever, in DiRT

> Codies add flying finish ( drive to Marshal )

> Players complain saying it's a gimmick

Adding realism needs to be done selectively and in such a way that it adds something of quality and substance to the game.

You could add in a section where the driver needs to climb in and out of the car, or go to the toilet at the end of a stage - it would be realistic but it would add nothing of value.

Stopping for the marshal was included in a basic form in CMR 2005 when it said 'stop the car' although if you just ignored it, it didn't matter. 

The idea is not so bad, but it hasn't been implemented terribly well here.

The best thing perhaps would be to simply have it as an option, just like any other 'assist'.  If you turn off 'drive to marshal' and just let the game take over control as you cross the line (like in DiRT Rally) then you get a slightly lower reward than if you do it manually.  Then everyone is happy. 

it was interesting at first but I find myself running into the spectators after the race just to speed up the process.   

Am I the only one thinking that could get removed and it wouldn't be missed?
I don't think, u are the only one, but I like driving to the stop point very much.

The best thing perhaps would be to simply have it as an option, just like any other 'assist'.  If you turn off 'drive to marshal' and just let the game take over control as you cross the line (like in DiRT Rally) then you get a slightly lower reward than if you do it manually.  Then everyone is happy. 
But the way they implemented it is already an option, more or less. They idea of a flying finish is that you have to stop the car yourself, and no gamplay magic will help you with it. So if you don't want to drive to the marshal you don't have to, you will get reset at the end of the timer with no penalty, or you can drive through the marshal for an instant reset. You will of course lose some credits from sponsors if they want you to finish without resets/crashes, but this will not affect your time. All you really have to take care of is not crashing it after the finish line so damga doesn'T get carried over, which was the idea behind the implementation in the first place.
So while the implementation is maybe not hardcore enough, it should suit everyone since you don't really have to pay attention to it other than not crashing, so it serves it's purpose quite well.

I like it a lot and the idea of driving to the marshal is very much appreciated!

It also prevents you to hammer over the finish line with max speed regardless of the hairpin right after it. Now you have to care.

Sometimes I wish the countdown would last 5 or 10 seconds longer, so that I can enjoy a relaxed drive along the cheering crowd up to the marshal.

Good guy Marshal. Those guys are underrated.
Just sick of hearing "Drive to the Marshal please" at the end of each stage.

Good guy Marshal. Those guys are underrated.
Just sick of hearing "Drive to the Marshal please" at the end of each stage.
Sometimes I need to hear it before the end of the stage: "Remember, you're not playing Dirt Rally, drive to the marshal please."