Sign in to follow this  

Evolution of rally sims

I wanted to say i really appreciate the effort put forth by Codemasters,and i really enjoyed all their games through the years Their quest to offer up a great rally game with each Dirt is an excellent way to keep ralying in the forefront of gamers and simmers alike.I own all their titles ,and have tremendously enjoyed them all!Again,thank you CM!
.However, im sitting here wondering how after 13 years of the release of the most realistic rally sim to date,we are still not any farther in terms of physics implementation.There are threads all over the net about the new D4 physics being wrong this way or another.My question is ,how do we not have at least as good of a "code" for physics as what RBR achieved all those years ago?Is tech 15 years later not there to "mimic" a better off road experience?Seems that all "tarmac" sims have evolved and are near perfect in terms of simulating a real car on hard surfaces.Yet,another sequel just lands and the simulation side of physics are nowhere near as refined as the one created all those years ago by Warthog.
Please note im not just an RBR fan boy,and simply questioning why we are where we are ,with no other choices with tech that could have drawn from RBR.
Again ,im not understanding how this could happen,as all things through technology in the last 30 years are always seem to be getting better.We have more ways to capture and calculate data,scan tracks,etc.
Then again ,maybe its just a budget thing and the Warthog crew puled it off on a budget,before it was all about money.Any thoughts would be appreciated!
PS: yes i do know about Grally

I wanted to say i really appreciate the effort put forth by Codemasters,and i really enjoyed all their games through the years Their quest to offer up a great rally game with each Dirt is an excellent way to keep ralying in the forefront of gamers and simmers alike.I own all their titles ,and have tremendously enjoyed them all!Again,thank you CM!
.However, im sitting here wondering how after 13 years of the release of the most realistic rally sim to date,we are still not any farther in terms of physics implementation.There are threads all over the net about the new D4 physics being wrong this way or another.My question is ,how do we not have at least as good of a "code" for physics as what RBR achieved all those years ago?Is tech 15 years later not there to "mimic" a better off road experience?Seems that all "tarmac" sims have evolved and are near perfect in terms of simulating a real car on hard surfaces.Yet,another sequel just lands and the simulation side of physics are nowhere near as refined as the one created all those years ago by Warthog.
Please note im not just an RBR fan boy,and simply questioning why we are where we are ,with no other choices with tech that could have drawn from RBR.
Again ,im not understanding how this could happen,as all things through technology in the last 30 years are always seem to be getting better.We have more ways to capture and calculate data,scan tracks,etc.
Then again ,maybe its just a budget thing and the Warthog crew puled it off on a budget,before it was all about money.Any thoughts would be appreciated!
PS: yes i do know about Grally

Purely subjective and incorrect. The physics in D4 are much better than RBR's ice simulator. Have you actually played Dirt 4 because it sounds like you're basing your opinion on random threads on the internet?

lol ok ok ,ice simulator: )  Have you played RBR when it came out in 2004  and you had to try to beat the school stage? That was physics.Yeah i owned D4 since day one.Sounds like youre not listening to all the discussions on D4 physics.Like i said ,RBR years ago did a better sim engine,and no better yet around .Automobilista dirt and Iracing is closest in feel.Rallyesim is one you should check out for real physics.Then Grally.
Come on now!I just  voiced an opinion,on how it seems noone is able to topple RBRs feel on dirt.

I guess there are as many threads about RBR being wrong. If it truly was that great there wouldn't have been the need for NGP.

I loved RBR when it came out. It truly was an achievement back then.

Another awesome experience is Semetin tarmac stage in RBR mods,for comparison on tarmac .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3fMsnA5yxk

lol ok ok ,ice simulator: )  Have you played RBR when it came out in 2004  and you had to try to beat the school stage? That was physics.Yeah i owned D4 since day one.Sounds like youre not listening to all the discussions on D4 physics.Like i said ,RBR years ago did a better sim engine,and no better yet around .Automobilista dirt and Iracing is closest in feel.Rallyesim is one you should check out for real physics.Then Grally.
Come on now!I just  voiced an opinion,on how it seems noone is able to topple RBRs feel on dirt.
I have played it, I have put hours into it as well as the RSRBR mods and it is a great game. Believe me I have listened to all the threads but there are a number of things D4 does better than RBR. RBR does the lateral movement better currently but the physics are pretty one dimensional and its basically 'all-slide'

i agree ! I wish we could get to the details of what the new tire model entails,and maybe have them open it for modding lol.
I remember trying to make the RBR cars heavier with great results way back and on PC it would be lovely to have that freedom.
Im just wishing that with this great game and awesome graphics we could sort out the driving experience,thats all.

Codies, could get the NGP creator on-board. I'm not saying RSRBR is better, but there's some stuff it does better, than DiRT 4. I don't think it would hurt, getting his feedback, and put him working with Codies Physics Team, if needed.

Yeah ,thats what im talking about.I know the current engine has limits,but then redoit:) I mean hopefully with D4s success ,the budget for a new physics engine is inflated.

i think right now the limitation is opinion. i could say that dirt 4 has too much traction. but in reality i have never taken a turn on a gravel road at full throttle nor do i intend to. in dirt rally codemasters had real rally drivers giving input so thats the best i can say as far as how accurate the simulation is. 

The physics on that rbr video look awful. Lol. Ive never seen a car be able to change direction that quick, and without a single degree of lateral body roll lol.

Honestly I'm just kinda sitting here waiting for iRacing's Rallycross so we can compare and contrast how the cars behave on gravel between both games. I can't find any info about the differences in cars between GRC and RX so I assume they aren't too different, and from what I've seen from IRL dirt oval racers they nailed that in iRacing, wonder how different iRacing's gravel could possibly be from D4.

Alf72 said:
Codies, could get the NGP creator on-board. I'm not saying RSRBR is better, but there's some stuff it does better, than DiRT 4. I don't think it would hurt, getting his feedback, and put him working with Codies Physics Team, if needed.
I already gave Paul a link to contact WorkerBee. If not to get him onboard, then to ask for input from real drivers who test NGP for him.