Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How long Dirt 4 is going to last?

I played religiously Dirt Rally for almost 2 years, I was managing a well know league attached to a famous reviewers site and i found some good friends there,  For more than a year we compete and help each other with tricks and tips and i can tell you,helping  was more important that winning. I improved my skills and I spent some good money (relative to my budget) in new and better hardware in order to be more competitive and i spent many many hours in modifying the rig that is now all rally oriented.  Unfortunately the lack of contents brought the league to a semi-deserted island so recently i shut down the league.
I had huge expectation with Dirt 4 to revamp the  interest on rally, I have now few hours spent on the game and over 60% of the rally career is done and telling the true i don't see the bright future ahead.
The stages after a while, nevertheless are all different, they are becoming more and more predictable, the bents they look  like copy and paste and a lot deja-vu it is happening. I still have to find a hairpin that challenge  my handbrake skill. (DR greece style). The whole thing Is becoming very easy.
The car handling is pretty easy and AI are not challenging me enough to motivate me to proceed further with the career and upgrade the car. I love bonnet view and I heard that when fearless is unlock, the external camera are not available. That is another demotivation in continuing  this Journey.
That sucks because I see the improvements in animations, weather ,and the marshal thingy at the end, but this randomly generated stages is missing  the beat. Think about sweet lamb as an example and how close it is to real life.. Dirt 4 Rally aspect look very "Fiction" to me.
I am totally disillusioned after all this waiting and watching all the blogs and videos with all the  professional rally drivers behind the scene, but my gut feeling was telling me something was wrong and too bad i did not listen to my instinct.

Please Paul and Christina.. give us some hope because the future is not bright at the moment.
You were so close to deliver the best rally title ever but now i strongly believe i will go back to king.. Richard Burns Rally that is still alive thanks to the modders comunity.

I love the game, and feel just as motivated as I did in DR to throw my car around the stages over and over again, this time without knowing the exact layout of each stage before I start. I actually feel more motivated thanks to more things being available to progress towards, such as better staff, facilities and cars (the current stock of cars is fantastic). 

Adding the feature of playing against people online on the same stage has only given the game more longevity for me, and I look forward to seeing what the team do with future updates. 

The future is bright. 

I fully understand your post ... somewhat i agree with it ... but tbh i believe it all depends on Codemasters will to make some tweaks:
- improving handling, make the rear more loose, not as much as DR but closer.
- more cars. When i see WRC footage i wish D4 had the same beasts with diferent clothing.
- new "tiles" for your stage. If Codies make more "tiles" with proper hairpins, with jumps, with holes on the ground and mix them all together with the existing ones, the stages would be superb!

These 3 things for me, would be more than enough to keep the game going. There´s a lot of awesome stuff already done and these few tweaks would give D4 the glory it deserves.

In my opinion it all depends on leagues. That is what helped me to extend Dirt Rally. It's much more fun to compete with other players than to beat Alvarez for the billionth time

I played through the hole game with a controller because the menus went crazy when my pedals on my rig were plugged in. Big disappointment I also saw the same corners over and over . Very disappointed with your stage !!!! I had high hopes for Dirt 4 and was highly disappointed !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Played dirt rally and loved it !!

I just sold my copy of Dirt 4 beacause I had reached the limit of my enjoyment of the game. I don't suspect it matters because I accept I am in the minority not liking this game, however there must be a strong admiration in the gaming community for the way Dirt Rally was done so I really hope there is a Dirt Rally 2.

The thing that got me was that Your Stage isn't a feature alongside real stages in those 6 locations. For me the enjoyment in Dirt Rally came from, among countless other excellent aspects, the relatively long (in current era rally games terms) stages that were genuine rally stages. A refresh of the stages is all I would ask for and I'd have been happy, but then I fear that's a view not widely supported.

Jack4688 said:
I just sold my copy of Dirt 4 beacause I had reached the limit of my enjoyment of the game. I don't suspect it matters because I accept I am in the minority not liking this game, however there must be a strong admiration in the gaming community for the way Dirt Rally was done so I really hope there is a Dirt Rally 2.

The thing that got me was that Your Stage isn't a feature alongside real stages in those 6 locations. For me the enjoyment in Dirt Rally came from, among countless other excellent aspects, the relatively long (in current era rally games terms) stages that were genuine rally stages. A refresh of the stages is all I would ask for and I'd have been happy, but then I fear that's a view not widely supported.
Let's drive the same stages for another 3 or 4 years, great idea! /s

gigiburk said:
 Dirt 4 Rally aspect look very "Fiction" to me.

We're in two. I don't think it will last at actual "Beta Stage".  Poor PC optimization, long loading times, boring unnatural tracks, not so perfect physics (FWD are terrible like in DR), not so perfect graphics and aesthetics...
I'm moving the installation from my I7-6700 new pc to the I7-2700 old pc, may not be a problem since D4 doesn't use all cpu cores at max, then continue playing with the upsaid "same" real tracks with the flying cars of the awesome DR.
Cheers.

24/06 Edit: after the V1.04 "- Tuning differentials now functions correctly." the physics are good, so forget what I've said before. (thanks for the patch)

versedi said:
Unfortunately if you are a rally fan and hardcore sim racer there are not too many options available so we are stuck.
Yesterday i gave dirt 4 another shot and i drove the fiat 131 in Spain to continue the career. I swear i got so bored i could not continue and I abandon the championship. the handling in that combo is so fake! It is impossible to Oversteer with that car (hallo.. is RWD!)  during a run i had few very  bad moments due lack of concentration  and i still manage to beat AI of 30 sec.. That is very bad considering how astonish are the rain effects and how nice is to go through the village.. Definitely Dirt 4 is a game for gamepadders.
Right after i had a run with RBR and how fun is to slam the car into the  bents and control the drift.. shame the graphics are outdated and the crappy sound but car and stage selection is huge so i thanks god for that alternative

@MaShMaN94 besides following most of my posts and clicking disagree, could you elaborate what do you disagree on with me?

Is it not a great idea? Why not? Please discuss it.

versedi said:
Jack4688 said:

People are gonna differ a lot on which form of repetition is more annoying to them. DR is limited track selection, but I could play career and not drive the same corner from same direction more than twice in ~6 hours of play. D4 it's smaller sections that are repeated but it's several times per stage. Many times when doing an event of several stages. For some people that feeling of  "I just drove this bit less than a minute ago", repeated over and over, really kills the fun.

How it fits the pieces together, weights the selection of pieces based on your stage settings, has scenery geography feeling realistic, etc works fine. They basically nailed all of the hard bits except for pace notes.

It fails at having enough different bits of stage to put together. The system doesn't need more development (aside from pace note issues), it needs more content.

DiRT 4 needs more locations !!! And I will keep posting this, until I'll get banned ! :smiley:

"More development time wouldnt of hurt though. If they had to delay it so be it."

Software development, especially games, is never that simple. Deadlines and release dates are decided long in advance, marketing campaigns are set up with this expectation in mind, and so on. There are also budget constraints to worry about, and external things like access to real rally drivers that might be a source of scheduling difficulties. There are a lot of moving parts, and it's hight likely that delaying the game would have cost a fortune.

versedi said:
Jack4688 said:

I agree the same stages over and over again will wear thin but if a new title came out with totally new stages to Dirt Rally it would have the same longevity Dirt Rally did. Still not 'infinite' but the current iteration of Your Stage doesn't offer that, however both are preferable to racing games which seem to have the same tracks bar a few - about 10km of rally stage takes longer to get old than lap after lap after lap of 4-5km of Silverstone or Monza or Circuit de Catalunya.

Maybe if genuine rally stages were combined with a v2.0 or Your Stage that would provide a happy medium for the next game in the Dirt series...

the next game needs the original iconic locations for single player, your stage with more variation more locations.

dgeesi0 said:
the next game needs the original iconic locations for single player, your stage with more variation more locations.
I totally agree with you but.. Dirt 4 just come out and we will need to wait maybe another  couple of year  and dish out another 60$ to have  a decent title since i strongly believe WRC7 will not be at par and Grally will be in perpetual close beta.

Jack4688 said:
about 10km of rally stage takes longer to get old than lap after lap after lap of 4-5km of Silverstone or Monza or Circuit de Catalunya.

Personal​opinion, but I completely disagree with that. Circuit racing, as a sport, is about mastering the selection of corners of any given track. Rallying is about coping with the unknown and different locations.

Repeating a circuit is part of the immersion of a racing sim, but not a rallying title (ideally) IMO.

Jack4688 said:
about 10km of rally stage takes longer to get old than lap after lap after lap of 4-5km of Silverstone or Monza or Circuit de Catalunya.

Personal​opinion, but I completely disagree with that. Circuit racing, as a sport, is about mastering the selection of corners of any given track. Rallying is about coping with the unknown and different locations.

Repeating a circuit is part of the immersion of a racing sim, but not a rallying title (ideally) IMO.
True but in rallying you do at least do a stage once then move on to the next stage and hopefully you won't do again until next season (unless it's rerun after lunchtime service :)

My Stage: I agree with it needs more development time. But I wouldn't have held the game's release date for it. I would release and have plans for agreesive updates going forward. From a layman's point of view, the majority of the work is done. Start adding more bits for it to use to calm the masses and go from there.

Hand spun stages: Someone else touched on this idea. I think it would be a great idea to have some of the hand made Dirt Rally stages or even new ones along side "My Stage". Or I could see the hand made stages more prominent in Career mode.

I do remember reading something about licensing with the FIA WRC being an issue. Would this prevent them from using the DR stages?

Car handling: As with My Stage, Based on what was said from the Dirt Show, they ran out of time. So I suspect that Car handling will be resolved in the near future.

Future of D4: I see posts suggesting Dirt 4 is complete as is (for better or worse) and have written it off or are suggesting ideas for Dirt 5. Slow down people! D4 is only weeks old. Like the majority of games there will be patches/updates. Only time will tell what they will include.

For me, I'm happy with what I have. None of the above is a show stopper for me and I trust that things will be improved over time.

gigiburk said:
dgeesi0 said:
I totally agree with you but.. Dirt 4 just come out and we will need to wait maybe another  couple of year  and dish out another 60$ to have  a decent title since i strongly believe WRC7 will not be at par and Grally will be in perpetual close beta.

well we didnt really know what was going to be in Dirt 4. i didnt expect Dirt rally some did.

if im honest and this is where i often get in trouble :D

Dirt rally for me wasnt a game it was more of a soul search a project of love.money doesnt make games like that people do who want something their way for the good of the project.heart and soul poured into it.

Dirt 4 feels more of a commerical project.its fun but i dont get the " feel" that i did with Dirt rally.i do like the game your stage seemed to be marketed a bit too strong if im honest.or hyped up a bit too much.if after a few hrs you can noticed what you shouldnt be able to then its not doing it as effectively as it was touted.the thing is cant be too upset about it as its new its the first itteration so im sure if the tech is advanced it will get better and harder to tell what is the next bend coming.

i do wonder why this " your stage " route was took innitially was it for money ? i say that because licenses for items/events cost a lot and aquire lots of work and effort.also they didnt have some of the stuff needed to make events like we had in dirt rally any more . so im wondering if thats why your stage came about. makes sense in my mind as if you can do your stage well enough then you dont need all the big events and extra work and cost which = more profit.

so my overall look of Dirt 4 is its Dirt 3s successor which it should be , right ? its just not dirt rally. the handling and cars im puzzled about as that shouldnt of slipped through or how it wasnt noticed not sure.big titles need to have all the boxes ticked as best they can.

Narzugon said:

Hand spun stages: Someone else touched on this idea. I think it would be a great idea to have some of the hand made Dirt Rally stages or even new ones along side "My Stage". Or I could see the hand made stages more prominent in Career mode.

I do remember reading something about licensing with the FIA WRC being an issue. Would this prevent them from using the DR stages?

All bar the Argolis stages are currently used in some form or another in WRC and Pikes Peak International Hill Climb now has a rights deal with Gran Turismo.

In the case of the Sweet Lamb Rally Complex or the Panzerplatte I can understand the owners/rights holders being told "if you let some games developers in to map your roads we can't continue to have your complex in our rally because the WRC rights holders have told us we must do that [in and among other commercial terms] to continue hosting a round of the WRC". But in the case of a public road how can someone have rights to that and prevent a games developer not associted with WRC to have a crack at it? Can anyone enlighten me?

EDIT: Also does anyone know the rights situation at the time of Dirt Rally's release? I can understand a rights deal with Pikes Peak and GT came about after that but with the rally stages did codemasters just get away with it before the WRC tightened up their commercial terms to the rally promoters?

I think the problem laid with Dirt Rally being essentially a better WRC game than the actual WRC games. And instead of trying to make a better game than codemasters they instead threatened them with legal action if they didn't stop using wrc related things like the real stages and the wrc cars. 

Someone above makes a great point; we don't know what the future of DiRT 4 is. With DR we had the early access schedule and knew development would continue for the duration, but here the game has been launched with little known about its planned development cycle.

I know they are loathe to discuss it, but if there is to be a DLC plan, this should be communicated as soon as possible. If it isn't, it's going to further that suspicion (that I don't share) that 100% of their resources will be working on the next game. This is the only game I've come across for ages where there is no clarity about the post-release plans (admittedly, I don't play many).

but if there is to be a DLC plan, this should be communicated as soon as possible. 
   I like the way you  put some pressure on that! when i stated  "Please Paul and Christina.. give us some hope because the future is not bright at the moment." had the same meaning but more "read between the line" style. 
I really hope they will not leave us in the dark as usual.. If you remember the few racenet outage over the whole weekend without any notification..
I will not be surprise if we dont hear a words from them.