Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How long Dirt 4 is going to last?

gigiburk said:
I played religiously Dirt Rally for almost 2 years, I was managing a well know league attached to a famous reviewers site and i found some good friends there,  For more than a year we compete and help each other with tricks and tips and i can tell you,helping  was more important that winning. I improved my skills and I spent some good money (relative to my budget) in new and better hardware in order to be more competitive and i spent many many hours in modifying the rig that is now all rally oriented.  Unfortunately the lack of contents brought the league to a semi-deserted island so recently i shut down the league.
I had huge expectation with Dirt 4 to revamp the  interest on rally, I have now few hours spent on the game and over 60% of the rally career is done and telling the true i don't see the bright future ahead.
The stages after a while, nevertheless are all different, they are becoming more and more predictable, the bents they look  like copy and paste and a lot deja-vu it is happening. I still have to find a hairpin that challenge  my handbrake skill. (DR greece style). The whole thing Is becoming very easy.
The car handling is pretty easy and AI are not challenging me enough to motivate me to proceed further with the career and upgrade the car. I love bonnet view and I heard that when fearless is unlock, the external camera are not available. That is another demotivation in continuing  this Journey.
That sucks because I see the improvements in animations, weather ,and the marshal thingy at the end, but this randomly generated stages is missing  the beat. Think about sweet lamb as an example and how close it is to real life.. Dirt 4 Rally aspect look very "Fiction" to me.
I am totally disillusioned after all this waiting and watching all the blogs and videos with all the  professional rally drivers behind the scene, but my gut feeling was telling me something was wrong and too bad i did not listen to my instinct.

Please Paul and Christina.. give us some hope because the future is not bright at the moment.
You were so close to deliver the best rally title ever but now i strongly believe i will go back to king.. Richard Burns Rally that is still alive thanks to the modders comunity.
It wont, its back to dirt rally for me, a proper sim. I have bought all codemasters rally games over the years and its only dirt 4 that i have traded back in the next day because of its awful tracks.
Hey, you're back again, complaining about a game you don't own! Brilliant!

I think this is proof that D4 probably won't last as long as these conversations about how terrible the game is.

D4 definitely had some major licensing issues and they certainly don't have the financial backing of Turn 10 and Polyphony. Before DR came out and sold moderately well, D3 was the last big release and I'm not even sure how well that really sold. The F1 games were going, but as far as I know they were pretty mediocre, along with the failure of Grid 2 and the resulting lack of sales on Autosport. Honestly I'm surprised CM is still around, much less able to "buy" the Evo studios guys. I'd say CM is actually pretty tight for cash right now, and with the Dirt franchise coming dangerously close to the WRC franchise...

Jack4688 said:
But in the case of a public road how can someone have rights to that and prevent a games developer not associted with WRC to have a crack at it? Can anyone enlighten me?

Good point. And that may have been where a decision was made. Pure speculation but since they didn't have the licensing I could see them opting for a random track generator over hand made fictional stages or stages that aren't well known. And if they had gone for either of the latter they would still be faced with limited playability (can't please everyone but you can piss them off).

Take any of the EA sports titles for example. The Golf games wouldn't sell as well if they were all fictional courses, or NFL/NBA/FIFA would do as well if they were done with fictional teams and players. Again, just speculating.

So in the end I still think since My Stage is something they invested in they will continue to improve upon it. </fingers crossed>

versedi said:
@MaShMaN94 besides following most of my posts and clicking disagree, could you elaborate what do you disagree on with me?

Let's drive the same stages for another 3 or 4 years, great idea! /s

Is it not a great idea? Why not? Please discuss it.

My opinion. i dont have explain myself to you or to anyone for that matter. 

I have to give CM  kudos for the weather changes in Dirt 4 , today in wales with  Renault Turbo i had fun! Using hgate + clutch that made it very challenging,the car handling was not  that bad, i saw i huge improvement on stage at dusk , the fog was almost real  and the rain effects are the best i ever seen and my graphics settings are not that high.. I guess is  love and hate!

Your Stage has been in development since DiRT3 so either CM knew about upcoming licensing issues or they were already in place (although DR came out) or it has been conceived as a game changer for rally games.

DESMOPT said:
I fully understand your post ... somewhat i agree with it ... but tbh i believe it all depends on Codemasters will to make some tweaks:
- improving handling, make the rear more loose, not as much as DR but closer.
- more cars. When i see WRC footage i wish D4 had the same beasts with diferent clothing.
- new "tiles" for your stage. If Codies make more "tiles" with proper hairpins, with jumps, with holes on the ground and mix them all together with the existing ones, the stages would be superb!

These 3 things for me, would be more than enough to keep the game going. There´s a lot of awesome stuff already done and these few tweaks would give D4 the glory it deserves.

Yep, needs tweaking. Fingers are crossed.

I think your onto it with your suggestions. Co Driver needs some work to. Again more samples to work with and correct a few. Like when your told you have to double joker, because you missed the entry, when you nailed it, only to be told off for taking the second joker. Or after fully upgrading a vehicle you're told at the start of a stage that if you earn enough we can upgrade the car. 

It has alot of positives like weather and lighting, but handling in sim mode needs to be a bit closer to DR in my opinion. The Stratos was majorly disappointing, way to much grip on power. It seems to be grip levels on the throttle are to high. Still loose enough on braking and declerating, but they struggle to maintain power oversteer.

Still an entertaining game, just want more sim.

66% user score on Steam for Dirt 4, 90% for Dirt Rally.

That alone should be quite clear sign that the game doesn't meet expectations.

Look at the play time people with Negative review played.
50% of them has played for less than 5 hours. 
25% of them are saying D3 look better...

Then there are comments that the cars are OVERSTEERING to much or negative score because he wasn't capable of setting the wheel properly.

Or something like this:

I played for 2 hours and is a good game but is more a challenging game than a fun game to play after work to relax.
Generally negative reviews started flooding in after one video from popular channel on YT ranting about D4.

I think DiRT 4 in particular has a potential to grow since they could actually update the stage generator and make more tiles and all the locations would benefit from it.
I agree that you can often recognize parts of the track and corners but for me it's always a bit different because how you approach a corner depends on the previous one, also I believe there is enough camber/elevation variation that the corners feel different enough. So YourStage really works for me in that sense. Would still really love new track tiles though.

versedi said:

Look at the play time people with Negative review played.
50% of them has played for less than 5 hours. 
25% of them are saying D3 look better...

Then there are comments that the cars are OVERSTEERING to much or negative score because he wasn't capable of setting the wheel properly.

Or something like this:

I played for 2 hours and is a good game but is more a challenging game than a fun game to play after work to relax.
Generally negative reviews started flooding in after one video from popular channel on YT ranting about D4.

You can pretend people doesn't know a sheit or to think why other developers in the same genre doesn't have such bad reviews? That score is ridiculously low even when compared to some of the "bad apples" in the genre. Choice is yours.

In the end I personally believe the developer have to meet the expectations what they've set with pre-release marketing. If not, people does not show much respect because they feel like "cheated". Whether people have mis-understood the marketing is secondary because the end result is only one that counts. Might be wrong though... 

You were so close to deliver the best rally title ever but now i strongly believe i will go back to king.. Richard Burns Rally that is still alive thanks to the modders comunity.

Codemasters hates modders, modders hates CM. That's simple. Then this game will die soon.

Pinowrc said:
DiRT 4 needs more locations !!! And I will keep posting this, until I'll get banned ! :smiley:
Good idea, but does it matter?
Same corners with different textures (snow / gravel /dust ), just their colours seems to be different

versedi said:

Yeah, the review system is used more as retribution for perceived slights than any reflection of game quality these days, therefore are currently worthless as a judge of game quality.

Take a look at the recent reviews of GTA V as an example of just how worthless the review system as become. A 2015 GOTY contender with a Metacritic score of 90 is now sitting at "Overwhelmingly Negative" simply because Take 2 shut down some cheat software. Nothing whatsoever to do with the quality of the game, or changes made to the game itself.

Yeah, the review system is used more as retribution for perceived slights than any reflection of game quality these days, therefore are currently worthless as a judge of game quality.

The problem here is that many reviewers that received the game before launch they express criticism about this title 
ISRTV - SRP - SIMPIT  to name some and  they  all complain of similar issues that we are discussing here

enamel said:
versedi said:

Yeah, the review system is used more as retribution for perceived slights than any reflection of game quality these days, therefore are currently worthless as a judge of game quality.

Take a look at the recent reviews of GTA V as an example of just how worthless the review system as become. A 2015 GOTY contender with a Metacritic score of 90 is now sitting at "Overwhelmingly Negative" simply because Take 2 shut down some cheat software. Nothing whatsoever to do with the quality of the game, or changes made to the game itself.
I think people just got fed up with GTA shark card thing 

Jack4688 said:
I just sold my copy of Dirt 4 beacause I had reached the limit of my enjoyment of the game. I don't suspect it matters because I accept I am in the minority not liking this game, however there must be a strong admiration in the gaming community for the way Dirt Rally was done so I really hope there is a Dirt Rally 2.

The thing that got me was that Your Stage isn't a feature alongside real stages in those 6 locations. For me the enjoyment in Dirt Rally came from, among countless other excellent aspects, the relatively long (in current era rally games terms) stages that were genuine rally stages. A refresh of the stages is all I would ask for and I'd have been happy, but then I fear that's a view not widely supported.
This is what really disappointed me as well.  That they did not make the stages for the main locating as in DR... They utilized the "Your Stage" tol which I thought was designed for adding longevity T the game after you progressed through the career mode on the difficult Real Rally Stgaes form the main locations.

IMHO...  They should have bought over the rally stages from DR first.... Then make the custom Real-to-Life stages for the new locations.... These 10 locations with all the past and present stages would have made an incredible career mode. Then with the added Land Rush and Rallycross and finally the Historics .... WOW what a game all in DR graphics.  Because the new graphic model looks much less realistic.

DR 2 is what I'm hoping for D4 was supposed to be a follow up to D3 ... So we can all hope.  

Always a shame when a Game Developer makes great Progress with a new game.... To only take steps backwards.  Reminds me of Milestone and a few others.

Codies.... I hope you're listening!