Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

[Dirt 4] Can't load my setups anymore...

Hey Codies.
What is that tuning ability of the engineer about?
I didn't get the sense of that score, yet. Cause I tune the car. Not the engineer.
And if my engineer has lower score, i still have the same parameters? I really don't get it.

And:
The result is, that all of my tuning setups, I did with an engineer at a score of 80 + 5, I can't load anymore.
I just started a free rally, but right now my engineer has just a score of  80 + 2? But I need a score of 85 to load them from my stored setups? Excuse me, but.... WTF?

Can anyone tell me, how to get my setups working again?
Cause right now, I am not in the mood to play the game any further, cause adjusting the setups took hours...

Cheers
Vannipo

I have no idea either, it's probably something that was decided in some design meeting and did nothing but make their game a pain in the donkey...

versedi said:
Invest in your lounge, they need a better coffee. 
Doesn't help. All my staff facilities are at A but my chief engineer is still droping his mood when I am not finishing first every time.

There is one thing you can do to bypass the time when his mood is lowered. It's the perks.
I usually have the car wash perk for my chief engineer active. But when his mood drops, I activate the tuning perk, which gives some +20. I think this is the only way to bypass the bad mood time. But you need to be make sure that when his mood is back to upbeat, you deactivate the tuning perk again. If you don't and you saved setups with the tuning perk active, you won't have a chance to load it, when his mood drops again.

versedi said:
Invest in your lounge, they need a better coffee. 
Doesn't help. All my staff facilities are at A but my chief engineer is still droping his mood when I am not finishing first every time.

There is one thing you can do to bypass the time when his mood is lowered. It's the perks.
I usually have the car wash perk for my chief engineer active. But when his mood drops, I activate the tuning perk, which gives some +20. I think this is the only way to bypass the bad mood time. But you need to be make sure that when his mood is back to upbeat, you deactivate the tuning perk again. If you don't and you saved setups with the tuning perk active, you won't have a chance to load it, when his mood drops again.
Ok, that is a work around, which lets you load ur old setups again.
And yes, U should never create new setups in this mode, cause u may can't load them later again. Oh my goodness.

Please Codies let us just load and save setups as usual.

Yeah its absolutely some of the dumbest shit I have ever seen but I got no traction when I brought it up. In career mode it makes perfect sense and is totally fine. When I want to get on for a quick freeplay stage or two and I can't use a saved tune it is just unspeakably stupid.

Freeplay is still tied to your team and career so it does make sense. You make money and use your staff in Freeplay as well.

Only place where it doesn't have sense is Pro Tour.

versedi said:
Freeplay is still tied to your team and career so it does make sense. You make money and use your staff in Freeplay as well.

Why makes this tuning ability score sense to you?
Is my engineer suggesting me any nice setups? No.
Does this sore give me more parameters @ the cars setup? I far as I know, No.

So, for what is this score, except making problems loading setups U did one race before?
If I just test a bit around, trying setups, drive maybe bad... My Engineer gets disappointed and I will be punished by not being able to load a setup anymore? Yes, that makes sense. Really. Except in ProTour...  :s

That has really nothing to do with Freeplay. It's just an annoying feature...

I think they need some sort of range rather than an exact number. Like you can load it if you have between 100-110 or something like that.

Vannipo said:
versedi said:

Why makes this tuning ability score sense to you?
Is my engineer suggesting me any nice setups? No.
Does this sore give me more parameters @ the cars setup? I far as I know, No.

So, for what is this score, except making problems loading setups U did one race before?
If I just test a bit around, trying setups, drive maybe bad... My Engineer gets disappointed and I will be punished by not being able to load a setup anymore? Yes, that makes sense. Really. Except in ProTour...  :s

That has really nothing to do with Freeplay. It's just an annoying feature...
You have more choosable paramaters with higher engineer score. Eg. 10 - 4 brake force possibilities. 50 - 10 brake force possibilities. 

I agree the current tuning skill requirement is not a good idea. I mean, we are the ones tweaking the setups, why should we be restricted in this way?

The player's own understanding of tuning should be the limiting factor. Not some artificial tuning skill requirement.

I just dialed in the Opel Ascona 400 to a setup that suites me well, and now I can't load it because I changed chief engineers and the tuning skill isn't high enough anymore.... seriously.

The only people who suffer are the ones who go through the trouble of actually tuning.

I think the tuning skill requirement is not that bad, the only thing that really makes it a nuisance is that driving for another team requires you to use their engineer, which at some point will always be below your own chief engineer's skill.
This causes problems with loading setups in multiplayer, since it is better to not use your own car for joyride championships and the pro tour.
In these modes my engineers lose 1 championship on their contract PER STAGE, which makes multiplayer an absolute chore right now, since you constantly need to pay attention to the contracts and the event's length (need to leave your current event for that though, which is not an option in MP), AND you need to keep grinding money in career since there might be events with more than 6 stages and that means your engineers just quit mid-event, so it becomes expensive to hire new ones all the time.

Codies should just give you the tuning skill of your chief engineer globally to your profile, so no matter for which team you drive you can always load your previously crafted setups. This would also bring more enjoyment to getting better engineers and then finetuning your previous setups, to dial in the car even more. With the way it works now that only happens in theory.

Scyy said:
I think they need some sort of range rather than an exact number. Like you can load it if you have between 100-110 or something like that.
Simple No. :) U need a minimum score for a setup it has been created with.versedi said:
Vannipo said:

You have more choosable paramaters with higher engineer score. Eg. 10 - 4 brake force possibilities. 50 - 10 brake force possibilities. 
I think, u ment 50-100?
...but ok, that's why I wrote "As far as I know...". But my experience was, that first it has something to do with the car itself and its tunable parts and whether u can adjust them or not (e.g. some cars has much more dampening parameters to tune compared with simpler cars).

bobradar
said:
The player's own understanding of tuning should be the limiting factor. Not some artificial tuning skill requirement.

100% agree

kobeshow
said:
I think the tuning skill requirement is not that bad...
Can U explain, what is good with this system and for what it is good for?

Sure, I'll try to explain in more detail.

Let's say that the system worked across all cars, your own AND other team's cars.
In the beginning of your career you'll have to do rough adjustments on your car, making the changes more pronounced.
That is a way of showing people what particular settings do, exaggerate the effect. As you get a feel for the car and start to understad the setup better, you can get better engineers and finetune it even more, until you can completely dial it in with a car that you know very well by that point.
So in essence it is a designed mechanic to show newcomers how to set up their cars (;

The good thing about it is that you only have to improve your chief engineer to "A" once, since their contracts are permanent.

The bad thing about the system is that you can currently put a lot of effort into setups, only to find out that you can't use them outside of your team from a certain point forward. This combined with the fact that your regular engineers lose a championship per stage on their contracts in multiplayer really dampens the expirience. Either I drive my own car put need to pay big money, or I drive for another team but cannot use my setups.

Codies could simply solve this by tying the chief engineer's skill globally to your profile, or give teams that can hire you a grade A egineer.

Vannipo said:
Scyy said:
Simple No. :) U need a minimum score for a setup it has been created with.versedi said:
Vannipo said:

I think, u ment 50-100?
...but ok, that's why I wrote "As far as I know...". But my experience was, that first it has something to do with the car itself and its tunable parts and whether u can adjust them or not (e.g. some cars has much more dampening parameters to tune compared with simpler cars).

bobradar
said:

100% agree

kobeshow
said:
I think the tuning skill requirement is not that bad...
Can U explain, what is good with this system and for what it is good for?
-_- I was saying they should change it to that. Not that it was a range.

Scyy said:
Vannipo said:

-_- I was saying they should change it to that. Not that it was a range.
Oh sorry. Yes, sure. I missed ur point.\
And yes, maybe that's a good idea...

The current design where you can't load a setup when your engineer drops one point is stupid. 

Maybe it would be a good idea to set fixed scores for advanced setups, e.g. 20, 40, 60 points to make this system more usable. Or better go back to tbe Dirt Rally style where your team has to get some experience with a certain car to use advanced setup.

Possible solution:

In case someone is trying to load a setup beyond the current tuning skill, the values/points of the knobs could be shown grayed, so that the player at least can see how the original setup was done. But in order to get close to the values, he had to choose the next available position to the left or right from the grayed knobs.

This would prevent the player from loosing his setup completely when his chief engineer skill drops, because he can at least see what was changed in the setup and try to get as close as possible with his current available skill.

Hello Codies,

still cant load my setups anymore, cause my engineer dropped 2 points. Maybe he is dissappointed?
Whatever.

Please fix this issue as soon as possible, thank you.