Sign in to follow this  

Live the life discussion

There are a lot of discussions on how to imrpove the F1 games, and improving the live the life aspect of the game is often requested by a lot of people, and I'd like it myself so I thought I'd start a specific thread for disucssion and also my own ideas, in no particular order.

News Articles

One of the most irritating things with the latest Codemaster games (was still an issue in all of them) was the repetitive news articles. I could tolerate it a bit more in 2010 because I enjoyed being asked questions in interviews and it having an effect (if somewhat limited and obvious one) on your relationship with teams. But in 2012&13 just the cut and paste articles, replacing the names here and there got tiresome within a season.

I wouldn't want the news articles to be done away with, but perhaps be context sensitive, and be influenced by your answers to interviews if they were brought back. For example say you had a crash with Vettel at Australia. Maybe after the race a news article comes out "Player One crashes into Vettel at Australia" and then says blah blah the two crashed. Then maybe in an interview or press conference you get asked your opinion on the crash. You could say "Vettel is an idiot, what was he thinking? Completely his fault" (even if you rear ended him) or you could be more diplomatic. Then another news article would come out saying "Player One blames Vettel for crash at Austrlia". I think this would go a long way into making you feel as if you're interacting with the game.

Reputation/Social Media

I suppose this could go further and you could have a reputation as a whole, and with individual drivers. So take the previous example, I've just crashed into Vettel, and then blamed him. Obviously Vettel is going to be a bit annoyed with me, and my reputation with him drops a bit. Maybe on track he is a bit more agressive, or maybe in some later news articles Vettel calls me an idiot, or immature. And because of the situation maybe my overall reputation has dropped because I'm blaming other people for accidents and some teams might be discouraged from hiring you.

If any of you have played the NBA 2K14 game, I enjoyed the career mode in that, and I think Grid 2 did something similar (I never played Grid 2). You had a social media account, with fans/followers. After a game in NBA you could read what people thought of your game, so if you messed up people would be like, oh you lost that game for us etc. Maybe this is something that could be incorporated, as you get more fans/ become more popular people are willing to take your side. So the news article happens, I blame Vettel, I'm not a popular driver, so on social media the majority of people are calling me out, saying I'm in the wrong. Or if I was popular, people might take my side.

This is a bit of a wall of text so I apologise. I tried to break it up with headings to make it bearable. But at any rate I would enjoy to hear feedback from what people think, and other peoples ideas of how to imrpove the live the life aspect of the games.

Edit: My headings are appearing as white text so they're not visible (at least for me) anyone know how to fix this?
Edit 2: I can't be bothered sorting the headings out, they'll just be bold text

Would be great if those ideas was implemented into the series. NBA's career is one of the best I've ever played and I haven't stopped playing it since I got it.

Would be great if those ideas was implemented into the series. NBA's career is one of the best I've ever played and I haven't stopped playing it since I got it.

Agreed. Not played it in a while, but I played that game non stop for a while because I was really enjoying the career mode and progression. The NBA interviews kind of suffered the same fate as the F1 2010 interviews in that they were a bit bland and repetitive. But at least the questions were influenced by your performance on that game. Like "You scored the most points in the game, how have you changed your game in recent matches?". I feel that works because it acknowledges you did a specific thing.

Rather than you do your first race at Australia
"So do you think you're in the title fight this season?"
I'm in a friggin HRT, what do you think?
Next race
"What are your hopes for the title? Is it too early to say?"
Still in a bloody HRT mate

At least with repetitive questions in NBA, it affects 3 different things so you have to be careful which answer to pick at the time. Is Team Chemistry more important than Fans? Is Fans more important than Local Fans? Also I've noticed in NBA, the questions stay the same but sometimes the answers are different. Can't blame NBA being repetitive though with 82 games in the regular season. Surely F1 shouldn't have that problem, especially 1st season

At least with repetitive questions in NBA, it affects 3 different things so you have to be careful which answer to pick at the time. Is Team Chemistry more important than Fans? Is Fans more important than Local Fans? Also I've noticed in NBA, the questions stay the same but sometimes the answers are different. Can't blame NBA being repetitive though with 82 games in the regular season. Surely F1 shouldn't have that problem, especially 1st season

True enough, I like the 3 factors it can have an effect on. That would be a cool thing in F1, say you have a bad weekend, in an interview you can say "The team are working hard, and doing their best to get the car to perform at it's best" and it may increase the team chemistry. Or you might want to build up a reputation as an outspoken driver who speaks his mind and maybe say that the car is awful. You may lose team chemistry, but you might increase the amount of people talking about you on the internet and may increase your fans.

I would like it if you could create your own driver and customize his appearance and features. Then they could at least include pictures of your character in the game, rather than the stoic but heroic guy with a helmet on.

This may border on career mode imrpovements instead of live the life, but in Championship Edition I enjoyed doing pre season testing, and practice sessions when you were a new driver. Like I know not everyone would enjoy this, and may want to skip it and go straight to racing which is fair enough. But I think instead of putting you straight in a team and starting a season. You could join a team, and they would give you say three practice one sessions for a season. So obviously you'd do a session at Bahrain for example. Then when that's done you go back to the paddock or whatever, and then your next event on the timeline is another practice one session at Silverstone. And if you do well enough in all the practice sessions of the year you get promoted to race seat for the next in game season.

I don't know about others, but I personally would enjoy it as a way of fleshing out the career mode and making it seem like more of a step to get into Formula 1

News Articles

One of the most irritating things with the latest Codemaster games (was still an issue in all of them) was the repetitive news articles.

Not as irrittating as the fact that, having to sit 8ft or so from the screen as I do when playing F1, they were so illegible that I’ve no idea what most of them said anyway.

none of this is possible due to "licencing issues". No in game comments can have an effect on the virtual world championship.. FOM will have Codies heads on sticks if the licence is breached in any way. 

Rumour has it FOM wants "Bernie says THINK BEFORE YOU DRIVE" to be watermarked on the screen at all times, doing anything unauthorised in game could land you a severe lawsuit. Personally i think FOM have gone too far, either way Codemasters cant be blamed at all

MUZZARIOL said:

none of this is possible due to "licencing issues". No in game comments can have an effect on the virtual world championship.. FOM will have Codies heads on sticks if the licence is breached in any way. 

Rumour has it FOM wants "Bernie says THINK BEFORE YOU DRIVE" to be watermarked on the screen at all times, doing anything unauthorised in game could land you a severe lawsuit. Personally i think FOM have gone too far, either way Codemasters cant be blamed at all

I was under the impression that the license prevents them from allowing custom helmets, are Alonso who has personal sponsors at Ferrari, to be at a Caterham on the game 

I don't see how an in game article saying "Mark Davis calls Maldonado an idiot" would be prevented by the license

No Codemasters have stated that all the shortcomings of the game are down to licence issues through FOM.

The next game will not be called F1 2015, there will be no driver numbers, and the drivers names will be altered eg

- Fernando Alonso/Hernán Alfonse, Pastor Maldonado/Pasta Mariano, Nico Rosberg/Niki Rosfeld etc

This is due to FOM not wanting people to confuse the game with real life. Not Codemasters fault

MUZZARIOL said:

No Codemasters have stated that all the shortcomings of the game are down to licence issues through FOM.

The next game will not be called F1 2015, there will be no driver numbers, and the drivers names will be altered eg

- Fernando Alonso/Hernán Alfonse, Pastor Maldonado/Pasta Mariano, Nico Rosberg/Niki Rosfeld etc

This is due to FOM not wanting people to confuse the game with real life. Not Codemasters fault

Oh I get it, you're just being a moron on purpose

News Articles

One of the most irritating things with the latest Codemaster games (was still an issue in all of them) was the repetitive news articles.

Not as irrittating as the fact that, having to sit 8ft or so from the screen as I do when playing F1, they were so illegible that I’ve no idea what most of them said anyway.

Yeah this irritated me too. Especially that picture of the back of a Mercedes, and the text is white, so half of the text is really hard to see

I play on madden quite a bit and career on that game is quite good, after each game you get to see what's said on social media by pundits. Maybe CM could do something like that you'd get to now what's gone on in the race and the weeks leading up to the next gp.

The career mode does need an overhaul and these type of ideas would go a long way into improving it. It was a shame they dropped it when they could have built on it. With next gen a lot more could be possible so hopefully ideas like these would become possible. I can't remember which one it was exactly but I remember one of the Toca Race Driver games had scenarios where if you crashed into someone then the driver would approach you after the race and let you know what he thought of the incident.
An approval/disapproval mechanic with different drivers and teams would make it a lot more interesting. If you have a high reputation with Alonso for example then maybe that could have an affect on the likelihood of getting an offer from Ferrari too.

I wrote a blog post not long ago about my feelings on the direction of F1 games, and how I think there is a wrong direction being taken. I mentioned about how Codemasters MUST return to the awesome Live the Life menus.

Games are all about player interaction, so please read my blog about this all here...

http://thebirkettblog.wordpress.com/

I wrote a blog post not long ago about my feelings on the direction of F1 games, and how I think there is a wrong direction being taken. I mentioned about how Codemasters MUST return to the awesome Live the Life menus.

Games are all about player interaction, so please read my blog about this all here...

http://thebirkettblog.wordpress.com/

Interesting read, and I agree with a lot of your points, especially if a feature is mechanially redundant, doesn't mean it doesn't add anything. I use my imagination a lot when playing F1 2013, make my own news articles in my head haha, like if I start 5th in race, but spin and fall to the back, but over the course of the race I manage to claw back and get like an 8th place or something. The team are disapointed, but I have the "excellent recovery drive" in my head.

The very robotic goals on the career mode could do with being worked on. Your goal is to finish 2nd, but you get hit by a car and have a puncture for half a lap and now your pit strategy is ruined. How could your team expect you to still finish 2nd. I would like it if they had dynamic goals or something which could change depending on how the race unfolds. Say you do get a puncture, your engineer could come over the radio and say "come on theres still a good chance we can get a couple of points".

Sometimes the Engineer is ok with the result because once I qualified 2nd (in a toro rosso!) but then spun to the back when my objective was to win. I only finished 9th but my engineer said "great work, a points finish!"

Sometimes the Engineer is ok with the result because once I qualified 2nd (in a toro rosso!) but then spun to the back when my objective was to win. I only finished 9th but my engineer said "great work, a points finish!"

And then the cutscene aafterwards would have been the engineer shaking his head haha