Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is Dirt 4 dying

Sho846 said:
The more I play Dirt 4, the more things I see that no other rally game is doing. 

- The weather system is unmatched.
- Day cycle and lighting is unmatched.
- Even with limited tiles, Your Stage is great. It truly captures the rally experience better than anything out there. I don't care how iconic Ouninpoujha or Sweet Lamb is, if I have memorised the stage, its not rally. (I certainly would like more tiles though)
- Co-driver is unmatched. And we have two different ones for English.

Now, there are issues with the handling. On some cars more than others, and definitely on every RWD car. If your main purpose of this game is to experience good simulation of RWD historic cars, then I believe this game would be a serious disappointment.
But I prefer modern cars, and the simulation is enjoyable for the most part.

As for Dirt Rally, the only reason I would play that now is for the WRC cars. Other than that, Dirt 4 is more enjoyable.

Great post, I'm with you 100%. I loved DiRT Rally and I don't have the same passion for D4 at the moment, but no way would I want to go back - I hope they move forward with development using D4 as a first step towards something better (and I hope it's improved along the way).

I'm finding it a bit of a slow burner. More than sixty hours in and I'm really beginning to enjoy it. 
I only really drive rally in Sim mode and mostly in the FWD cars. As others have said, I hope the silence from Codemasters is because they are hard at work on fixing the handling issues. I would certainly like to see more content once the issues are fixed, but in the meantime I am still finding plenty to keep me interested. 

Sho846 said:
The more I play Dirt 4, the more things I see that no other rally game is doing. 

- Even with limited tiles, Your Stage is great. It truly captures the rally experience better than anything out there. I don't care how iconic Ouninpoujha or Sweet Lamb is, if I have memorised the stage, its not rally. (I certainly would like more tiles though)

Now, there are issues with the handling. On some cars more than others, and definitely on every RWD car. If your main purpose of this game is to experience good simulation of RWD historic cars, then I believe this game would be a serious disappointment.

As for Dirt Rally, the only reason I would play that now is for the WRC cars. Other than that, Dirt 4 is more enjoyable.

Great post, I'm with you 100%. I loved DiRT Rally and I don't have the same passion for D4 at the moment, but no way would I want to go back - I hope they move forward with development using D4 as a first step towards something better (and I hope it's improved along the way).
Feel the exact same way. One reason might be that DR came from absolutely nowhere and blew me away, while D4's been hyped to the extreme and that kind of hype is almost never a good thing in the end.

morgan freeman said a great thing about popular films

it doesnt matter how much money you throw at promotion if the first waves of people go watch a film and dont like it then it bombs.word of mouth makes films a monster.not promotion.if its a bad film it will tank.

just apply that to dirt 4.then dirt rally.

then you see why most love Dirt rally.there wa a titbit on launch day and then no info about anything.on a launch no contact or anything much said when fixes will be made.many on holiday.not great timing and not thought out.

dgeesi0 said:
morgan freeman said a great thing about popular films

it doesnt matter how much money you throw at promotion if the first waves of people go watch a film and dont like it then it bombs.word of mouth makes films a monster.not promotion.if its a bad film it will tank.

just apply that to dirt 4.then dirt rally.

then you see why most love Dirt rally.there wa a titbit on launch day and then no info about anything.on a launch no contact or anything much said when fixes will be made.many on holiday.not great timing and not thought out.

Doesn't prevent people from having bad taste though. Look at fucking Transformers.

Sho846 said:

Fully agree with this too! I have my own issues with the game too, but for me, all things considered Dirt 4 is the game that takes a good number of steps forward, it's the one I'll keep coming back to, and I hope it's the one that Codies will be building upon for future games (if not for additional Dirt 4 updates/content).

In particular, I'd be absolutely devastated if Codies decided to move away from, or even ditch Your Stage, because of people who, to be quite honest, I think aren't giving it a fair trial. (the number of times I've read criticisms of Dirt 4's stages that apply in some form to DR too, but aren't taken into account with DR - or even turned into positives in the same post! - borders on the absurd.)

In my opinion Your Stage is one of the most ambitious and promising pieces of tech in the racing genre at the moment - and yes, its first public iteration has its limitations. But these are all reasons why Your Stage 100% deserves to be worked on more - not moved away from. Please stick with it Codies (be brave!) :)

If anyone played Shadow Warrior 2, they included auto generated levels too, for side missions.
Same story, huge difference between hand created main mission levels and generated ones, that all start looking alike with same design elements repeating over and over again. Yawn.

I can't believe how much Codemasters messed up on this one. Given how much fun DR was I was sure this would be another winner.

Not touching this game again. The physics and handling feels too weird, how the car launches into the air when your rear wheel hits the curb/bank is just insane. 

My stage is a joke, I made better rally stages when I was 12yo back in the early 90s in the 4D Stunts editor. How can they publish such a crappy solution? 

Weirdly, RX feels.. very good. How you can just throw your car into a corner and slide through it by adjusting steering angle and throttle, it's the best part of the game. But the AI is just sooo slow, did they test it at all? Sometimes I beat my opponents with an entire lap!

Nah, I'll stick with DR if I feel like rallying in the future. 

I just can't get into the Rally handling so I'll be returning to DR for my Rally fix.

One week or so and I'm losing interest in Dirt4; I've been playing AC / GSCE (AMS) / rF2 for years and still can't get enough; proper Sim's have great replay-value for many years in my case.

I appreciate the effort CM invested into D4 and it's easy to see it's potential but, it falls well short of what I hoped for. I can't say that I feel like I got my money's worth this time around though - unlike DR; I suppose they average out.

I played DiRT 4 for about a week before I got extremely bored of it. I've been playing with the gamer handling and I have no complaints about the physics, the game plays like DiRT 2/3 and that's fine for me because I'm using a gamepad. I also have no complaints about the list of cars - there are many new cars, and my favorites are the new Impreza, the Evo 6 and the Focus RX. The presentation is excellent, career mode/livery editor/team management - all is awesome, I also love the small details like the drones and the broken cars (like in WRC Evolved) etc.
However, the main reason why this game gets boring quickly is the lack of locations and the repetitive nature of the stage generator. On paper, there are 14 locations - 5 for rally, 5 for rallycross, 3 for landrush and the Dirtfish free roam area (which by the way, is awesome and way better than Battersea from DiRT 3). Unfortunately, only 5 rallies are not enough and every single rally stage from every single location looks and feels exactly the same. At first, I loved the new USA and Australia rallies, but by the time I got to the Triple Crown rally tournament, the repetitive nature of the stages in this game started to annoy the hell out of me. Many stages in the Triple Crown rally tournament are over 10 miles long and take over 10 minutes to complete - that wouldn't be a problem if the same corner didn't appear several times within a single stage and if every stage felt different (like in Mobil 1 Rally 2000), but this game should NOT have stages that long. I haven't completed a single event from the historic rally portion yet because I don't feel like I want to go through the same thing over and over and over again, I'd rather play something else. Only 5 rallycross locations and only 3 for landrush is also not enough - seriously, this is the official FIA RX game, have more RX locations for god's sake. I desperately hope that there will be more locations released as DLC later, otherwise nobody will care about the game by the end of the summer.

I played DiRT 4 for about a week before I got extremely bored of it. I've been playing with the gamer handling and I have no complaints about the physics, the game plays like DiRT 2/3 and that's fine for me because I'm using a gamepad. I also have no complaints about the list of cars - there are many new cars, and my favorites are the new Impreza, the Evo 6 and the Focus RX. The presentation is excellent, career mode/livery editor/team management - all is awesome, I also love the small details like the drones and the broken cars (like in WRC Evolved) etc.
However, the main reason why this game gets boring quickly is the lack of locations and the repetitive nature of the stage generator. On paper, there are 14 locations - 5 for rally, 5 for rallycross, 3 for landrush and the Dirtfish free roam area (which by the way, is awesome and way better than Battersea from DiRT 3). Unfortunately, only 5 rallies are not enough and every single rally stage from every single location looks and feels exactly the same. At first, I loved the new USA and Australia rallies, but by the time I got to the Triple Crown rally tournament, the repetitive nature of the stages in this game started to annoy the hell out of me. Many stages in the Triple Crown rally tournament are over 10 miles long and take over 10 minutes to complete - that wouldn't be a problem if the same corner didn't appear several times within a single stage and if every stage felt different (like in Mobil 1 Rally 2000), but this game should NOT have stages that long. I haven't completed a single event from the historic rally portion yet because I don't feel like I want to go through the same thing over and over and over again, I'd rather play something else. Only 5 rallycross locations and only 3 for landrush is also not enough - seriously, this is the official FIA RX game, have more RX locations for god's sake. I desperately hope that there will be more locations released as DLC later, otherwise nobody will care about the game by the end of the summer.
Totally agree with you ! I too play with the PS4 controller, and apart from the RWD cars, I am quite satisfied with the handling, and the rest of the game (although there are many bugs to be fixed). But with 5 locations only, having similar corners appearing in the same stage, I am starting to get bored too. So I really hope Codies will fix the handling for the RWD cars, and will give us a DLC with more locations. 

Well, as of the last 3 days Dirt 4 now has less players than Dirt Rally...
http://steamcharts.com/cmp/310560,421020#7d

Indigo121 said:
Who cares though? Who honestly cares about what other people play?

I'm enjoying myself in Dirt 4, that's what matters to me.

Indigo121 said:

I'm pretty sure people who play online cares if the game is gonna sink or not. Dead MP is equal to no MP.

Indigo121 said:

I'm pretty sure people who play online cares if the game is gonna sink or not. Dead MP is equal to no MP.
Guess I'm one of few that couldn't care less about MP.

Indigo121 said:

Guess I'm one of few that couldn't care less about MP.
I bet there are loads of people on MP that are glad about that statement :smiley:

Today I had a lot of fun driving DIRT RALLY the weekly event in Wales.
I had to adapt myself to the missing weight of the cars in Dirt Rally, but after this it's so immersive, the stages feel so much better then the new generated stages. In Dirt Rally the stages are mostly narrower and we get corner on corner with real banking and it's looks so much better.

Also I'm able to drive in VR and that alone offers a lot of immersion. So I hate to say this, but for me is Dirt 4 in comparison to Dirt Rally a disappoint.

Indigo121 said:

Good question. Maybe it's some of the same people who care way too intensely about what options, assists, platforms, and/or peripherals other people use even though it has no effect whatsoever on their own in-game experience.  ;)

Indigo121 said:

I honestly can't understand how you 'enjoy' it.  I rage-quit it nearly as much as WRC6, due to the randomness of the feel in both

KevM said:
Indigo121 said:

I honestly can't understand how you 'enjoy' it.  I rage-quit it nearly as much as WRC6, due to the randomness of the feel in both
Because I love the career mode. The rally bits, at least. Haven't tried the other stuff yet. I also managed to make the Sierra feel more like... well, a Sierra. :D

Maybe someone can do the opposite and take the physics from Dirt 4 to Dirt Rally?  It's like that birthday present you know your getting, your excited until you open it, then you realise they really didn't listen to you when you were giving hints.

KevM said:
What do you mean by randomness? My problem with the rallying, especially on gravel, is that once in a while, seemingly randomly, the tail end flips to front, leaving me always in 90 degrees to the track. Going back to DR the weightlessness is now very obvious, but at least the cars handled predictably (as long as you didn't hit a rock). Here there are weird and unpredictable levels of grip, and you never know what are you going to get when turning the wheel.

Why all the comparisons and references to Dirt Rally when this game is clearly a sequel to Dirt 3? I too enjoy DR considerably more than D4 in exactly the same way as I prefer FM6 to Horizon - but even though they bear an indirect similarity to one another, I would never in a million years make direct comparisons between them because it's blatantly obvious each is designed for a completely different audience.

My opinion of D4 is that it's infinitely better than D3 in just about every department but in typical codemasters fashion suffers heavilly in the content department. Five rally locations, a similar amount of Rally X locations and a mere three landrush stadia doesn't exactly represent a wealth of variety by today's standards and as a result becomes a tad repetitive a little quicker than it ought to. Not in a boring sense but more in an easy to put down after an hour or so and come back to it at a later sense. I also know that unlike Dirt Rally or FM6, on completion (and when i've taken the achievements i want to) it will have served the purpose I purchased it for and will be sold on.

So yeah, as a throwaway product primarily designed for the ''pumped'', ''hyped'' and ''stoked'' brigade or as something to pass away a few occasional hours without any real long term hopes or commitments then D4 serves it's purpose perfectly.

Why all the comparisons and references to Dirt Rally when this game is clearly a sequel to Dirt 3?

Because it isn't.

They tried to make it a sequel of both D3 and DR... or something. I don't know.