Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2017 Swarovski Austrian Grand Prix

Big news this weekend as Formula 1 signed a 'multi-year' deal with Swarovski, the popular Austrian producer of crystal jewellery. They become the 'Official Jewellery Supplier' of F1, and to mark their first race at home in Austria, the trophies this weekend will be lined with Swarovski crystals, much to the delight of bling king, Lewis Hamilton.

What you didn't see in that gif was Vettel pushing him off the road :smirk:

The curbs really do make a nice sound when the cars go over them, sounds a fighter jet through my soundbar. They ruin the cars, but they sound good :D

Had Magnussen down for a good result, then the fucking yellow kerbs ruined that. Haas had a real shot at two cars in Q3 here.

Apparently not directly a kerb thing, it just gave out. Wonder if it happened due to earlier contact with the big kerb. That would worry me if I was Grosjean tbh.

It's stupid that the FIA bang on about safety and then put dangerous curbs down. Obviously they will say it's deterrent, but if you make a slight mistake and go on them during the race and brake your suspension, that could cause a big accident.

I'm getting so frustrated that Max keeps getting DNF's, he can make a dull race exciting. Surely it's got to turn around for him at some point  :(

Also someone forgot the bleep machine for K-Mag.

Since the first race of the season Bottas has really improved. He's always had talent, but I doubted he could hang with the best, but he's proving me me wrong. For Ferrari it's great as they have a clear number 1 driver, but at Mercedes both are fighting for the championship.

Not a thriller but still a decent race. Really happy for Bottas, couple of more weekends like that and he could be a very serious championship contender. A three horse race please!

Flawless weekend for Bottas apart from that 2nd stint. He lost 13 seconds to Lewis there. Sick and tired of these damage limitation races for Lewis though. Still, despite the last two races being messy he's still with a shot at the title with arguably the slightly better car and 15 pts ahead of his teammate. Could be worse.

Hughesy said:
Since the first race of the season Bottas has really improved. He's always had talent, but I doubted he could hang with the best, but he's proving me me wrong. For Ferrari it's great as they have a clear number 1 driver, but at Mercedes both are fighting for the championship.
On the contrary, when Hamilton has a bad day he's got Bottas there to take points off Vettel. When Vettel has a bad day he'd be better off waving a magic wand than relying on Raikkonen for help, in most cases. 

Raikkonen is actually below Ricciardo in the championship, if you want a perspective on how poor he has been. He had one job today and that was to beat Lewis. He couldn't even manage it. 

AMS97KRR said:
Raikkonen is actually below Ricciardo in the championship, if you want a perspective on how poor he has been. He had one job today and that was to beat Lewis. He couldn't even manage it. 
Kimi needs to find his form again, he is going backwards. 

VetteIfan said:
Hughesy said:
On the contrary, when Hamilton has a bad day he's got Bottas there to take points off Vettel. When Vettel has a bad day he'd be better off waving a magic wand than relying on Raikkonen for help, in most cases. 
That makes no sense, as Bottas is also taking points off Hamilton. If for some crazy reason Kimi is ahead of Vettel, Ferrari will do everything to get Vettel past, with Bottas and Hamilton that won't happen with how close it is between them.

Hughesy said:
That makes no sense, as Bottas is also taking points off Hamilton. If for some crazy reason Kimi is ahead of Vettel, Ferrari will do everything to get Vettel past, with Bottas and Hamilton that won't happen with how close it is between them.
By winning today Bottas took 7 points from Vettel and 3 from Hamilton. You don't need a degree in maths to work out that more beneficial to Hamilton than if he wasn't there. And you've hit the nail on the head there, "if for some crazy reason Kimi is ahead". Having a number 2 driver isn't much use if they're rarely ever in the same race as you. 

And just in case you still don't believe it, over the course of the season Raikkonen has finished ahead of Hamilton twice and taken a grand total of 5 points from him. Bottas has finished ahead of Vettel four times and taken a total of 20 points from him. Hamilton is factually gaining more from having a strong teammate than Vettel is from having a 'number 2' driver. So you've no need to play that card again. 

Kimi has passed his termination date by 2014. The only reason he's kept is because he's easy to work with from a political pov and he seems to have accepted his role as the supporting guy for Vettel.

However, as Seb pointed out, this strategy doesn't seem to be working well for Ferrari neither in the WCC nor in the WDC. You can have a 2017 Kimi in a dominant car and everything will go easily your way, but if you're up against an equally good car and a better driver line-up, this sort of driver related deficit becomes a burden.

Kimi is literally a number 2, that's my bloody point. Ferrari will do everything to give Vettel the best chance to win, Mercedes can't and won't do that. Every race Kimi only role is to hold up the Mercedes, like today they left him out ages which screwed him, after that he lost motivation and also had car issues going on which is why he was slow.

But part of the reason why he ends up having to do these things is that he's simply too fecking slow. He has flashes of his old self every 10 races or so, but that's simply not enough. He is past it and he has been for years. However much anyone supports him or not, it is obvious that he is simply not up to the task.

Hughesy said:
Kimi is literally a number 2, that's my bloody point. Ferrari will do everything to give Vettel the best chance to win, Mercedes can't and won't do that. Every race Kimi only role is to hold up the Mercedes, like today they left him out ages which screwed him, after that he lost motivation and also had car issues going on which is why he was slow.
Literally all he was needed for today from a No.2 point of view was to hold Lewis at bay. He was too slow to take any points from him...He's always too slow to steal the points so Vettel is fighting two Mercedes a lot this season. 

Bottas is a good driver, so when he is used as a mobile chicane (Spain), he does the job and he is in a good position to do so.

Totally agree, having Bottas there to hold back Vettel is helping Hamilton a heck of a lot.

With Ricciardo's brilliant run of podiums at the moment, it made me wonder how the championship would look if it started from Spain, where his streak began. Here's what it would look like:

1 / 85 / Vettel
2 / 85 / Ricciardo
3 / 78 / Hamilton
4 / 73 / Bottas
5 / 34 / Raikkonen
6 / 30 / Ocon
7 / 28 / Perez
8 / 18 / Stroll
9 / 18 / Sainz
10 / 14 / Grosjean
11 / 12 / Hulkenberg
12 / 10 / Verstappen
13 / 7 / Magnussen
14 / 5 / Wehrlein
15 / 4 / Massa
16 / 2 / Kvyat
17 / 2 / Alonso

I was shocked. Here are the main things to take away from this:

- 4 way battle for the title, with Ricciardo joint leading the championship with Vettel, ahead of both the Mercedes.
- Raikkonen way behind, and under pressure from Force India, with Ocon leading Perez, just.
- Stroll way outperforming Massa in terms of points, and same with Sainz and Kvyat.
- Verstappen all the way down in 12th place with 10 points. Just imagine if things had been going the way of his team mate, we could potentially have a 5 way title fight on our hands!
- Wehrlein would even be beating Massa, and Kvyat, despite being in a Sauber.

I know it's just all fantasy, but it makes you think how much fortune can change and influence in F1. All it takes is a couple of naff races or some amazing results and everything can change.

I know I'm a Raikkonen fan so I may be biased, but he hasn't exactly been lucky this season. He has had a number of mechanical faults and Ferrari strategy hasn't ever helped him. 

Yes he's slower than Vettel and Hamilton and of course is the number two driver at Ferrari. But it's not been smooth sailing for him this season. He could and should be doing better. I personally don't think his results are entirely indicative of his actual pace and skill.

Bottas is doing a better job as a number two driver than Kimi, but if I were building a team to keep a car developed for Vettel, Kimi is still the best choice. They have similar attitudes and driving styles. I don't necessarily think that another driver in the second Ferrari seat would be doing much the better, because that's how Ferrari like it. 

Then again, having a decent teammate also means he can steal away points from you, so it all evens out a bit at the end. Kimi is no threat for Seb at all, meaning he can maximize his points on his home-front, while Lewis has lost plenty of points to Bottas already.

Wouldn't exactly say that it evens each other out when Bottas grabs wins when Hamilton has an off-day while Raikkönen just finishes behind Vettel when he has an off-day. Bottas, when finishing ahead of Hamilton, has almost always also finished ahead of Vettel, taking two race wins and a podium away from him.

At the moment, thanks to the bigger points gap between 1st and 2nd and 3rd and 4th compared to 4th and 5th, Bottas has actually taken more points off from Vettel than off from Hamilton. It's 17 to 10 and I'm not counting the Canadian GP where Bottas finished 2nd and Vettel 4th, because even with a weak team-mate, both Mercedes' would've ended up in front of Vettel.

So if Lewis had a vastly inferior team-mate, he'd have been further behind in the championship now. Right now, the competitive team-mate strategy is working better than the designated second driver strategy.