Sign in to follow this  

NASCAR

I have always wished Codemasters would make a nascar game. And after playing F1 2012 for awhile, I actually want it more. The idea of a co-op online in a nascar game, would be amazing. And due to a lighter learning curve (unless you get into set ups, then it is actually steeper) I would be able to have my less skilled friends race with me as well.

A solid career mode is all a nascar game really needs to succeed. There hasn't been a good NASCAR game in a very long time. The one currently on the market is sub par at best, and has poor wheel support. It hasn't improved much over the course of 4 years. I'd like a more competent dev to take a swing at it. The market is there for a good nascar game.

Plus if you guys did make one, you'd have Rally, F1 and NASCAR covered, that's a pretty strong racing lineup there ;)

Have you guys ever considered making a NASCAR game? Would be like a dream come true to have a good NASCAR game to play again. If not, why? Would it be biting off more than you could chew? (due to the large number of liveries in a NASCAR game, and the setups being so crazy etc? I don't know how big your dev team is)

I always wanted DICE to pick up battlefront, and they did. So it revived my hopes of Codemasters making a NASCAR game. I would buy two copies just out of excitement lol.

Not sure how others on this forum feel about it, since it seems like for the most part, F1 and NASCAR fans don't "cross the border" so to speak lol. I like both, so I guess I'm weird.

P.S. Stop BSing and annouce Dirt 4 please.

I've always wondered though, is NASCAR really that popular outside of the States? Speaking from an Australian view, I know a good 2 people who watch it compared to a good 20+ who watch Formula 1. 

no in europe its not popular....and for me its boring a racing game with only oval tracks..:( ok i like to be included a nascar event like those of  like Toca 3 , but not a whole nascar game..
 everyone has his tast! :)

I would rather see an accurate graphics and physics representation in say...ToCA 4, than to see them make a full game. Honestly, I would love to take a NASCAR car onto an F1 track or popular European tracks.

I've always wondered though, is NASCAR really that popular outside of the States? Speaking from an Australian view, I know a good 2 people who watch it compared to a good 20+ who watch Formula 1. 
I was actually insulted by a guy in Australia for apparently insinuating the sport wasn't popular outside the US on facebook lmao. 

But yes, the sport is quite popular in many places, including the UK and Australia.

NASCAR 2011 sold around 750k without a PC release, and that game was garbage. And they didn't release the game in Europe until very late and only on PS3 (tons of people on the forums complaining about that) Here's a link of when it finally became available http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2012/07/17/nascar-the-game-available-for-download-tomorrow/

Vs F1 2012 selling around 1.5 million worldwide. (all based on VG charts sales because I didn't feel like looking any harder lol) 

So NASCAR sold half as much, in the US only, as F1 did world wide. So there is definitely a fanbase there. The sales of NASCAR games dropped off a cliff after that, because the games are terrible and buggy. A good NASCAR game would have a solid fanbase to draw off of for... well forever lol. Might not be as big as F1 world wide, but big enough not to ignore IMO.

The first game would be the hardest (work wise), after that, they could just add and tweak stuff, and people would buy it, I know I would. I know it's unlikely, but so was DICE making battlefront. So I will continue to dream about the day when a competent dev makes a NASCAR game.

P.S. I live in Maryland, where there are plenty of "country boys" and I still only know a few people that like NASCAR. So just because you only know 2 people, doesn't really mean much lol. Some people won't openly admit it, and some wont talk about it unless it's brought up in conversation because of some peoples "I can only turn left hurr hurr!" attitude which any NASCAR fan knows, those people can't be swayed, they've made their decision, so we ignore them.

I'd love for CM to make a NASCAR game. The Eutechnyx games are trash, and CM, I feel, could do a really great job with them!

I think that there is a big enough fanbase in the states alone to make this game, and some fans worldwide as well. 750k in the states alone with 2011, and I know people who didn't buy it because they weren't sure Eutechnyx could make a good game, which they obviously couldn't, and would buy a game from CM in a heartbeat. 

I think it would be great for CM to try their hand at NASCAR.

about nascar lovers , there is an option to buy 3 months membership for Gen 6 Ford in iracing for 2,99 euros..i have not tried yet but probably i will soon...i dont know if works for sure but i trust the cd key page i have bought some games..i have watched videos and game looks cool..:) way better than nascar 13-14...

@DarkRedslayer - I wouldn't recommend basing too much on VG Charts figures. They tend to be a lot lower than reality, mainly because to my knowledge they don't take digital into account, which is a big and growing area of the market.

Personally I'd find it pretty interesting if we ever looked into a full on NASCAR title. Oval racing is not exactly a big thing in Europe but I think it is an under appreciated discipline which is very misunderstood. There's a lot of dismissing it as just 'turning left all the time', but anybody who has driven a real car on the limit or even just tried some sim racing knows how difficult it is to keep a car on the edge whilst staying quick and consistent. Throw tight pack racing into that and short, unbanked ovals that require a lot of balancing on the brake and power... it's compelling stuff and can make for great racing in games.

I think you'd need a pretty comprehensive career mode probably with some team management mechanics to keep it interesting though. So whether or not the license allowed for that sort of thing would be be an important consideration for me, if I were the one making the call.

Britpoint said:
@DarkRedslayer - I wouldn't recommend basing too much on VG Charts figures. They tend to be a lot lower than reality, mainly because to my knowledge they don't take digital into account, which is a big and growing area of the market.

Personally I'd find it pretty interesting if we ever looked into a full on NASCAR title. Oval racing is not exactly a big thing in Europe but I think it is an under appreciated discipline which is very misunderstood. There's a lot of dismissing it as just 'turning left all the time', but anybody who has driven a real car on the limit or even just tried some sim racing knows how difficult it is to keep a car on the edge whilst staying quick and consistent. Throw tight pack racing into that and short, unbanked ovals that require a lot of balancing on the brake and power... it's compelling stuff and can make for great racing in games.

I think you'd need a pretty comprehensive career mode probably with some team management mechanics to keep it interesting though. So whether or not the license allowed for that sort of thing would be be an important consideration for me, if I were the one making the call.
Awesome to see one of you guys reply :D You guys are among my favorite developers (A dwindling list these days sadly, Just you guys, Bethesda, Rockstar and DICE at the top, even though DICE annoyed me with how BF4 was handled, I blame EA more than DICE lol.)

Previous games (EA days) have allowed you to do quite a bit on the team side of things, but I won't pretend to have any idea what NASCAR's limitations are. I hope you guys look into it at some point. To be honest, the current NASCAR game series probably won't survive all that much longer due to the lack of content and heavy amount of bugs, along side lack of advancement between games causing fans to dispurse, and not buy the game including myself. A real shame, because the devs handling it had some great ideas seems they just were not able to get the job done.

If you guys decide to make one, I promise to pre-order it lol. Until then, I'll be around here for DiRT 4 and future F1 games :)

Oh and Toca if you bring that back.

Edit : Also, that's why I said the NASCAR sales were all the US, there was no physical release of NASCAR 2011 outside of the US.

ok guys for nascar lovers i have a solution...visit this page :http://www.kinguin.net/category/5623/iracing-com-3-month-membership-with-gen-6-ford-car/ and you will be able to buy 3 months  membership for Gen 6 Ford for 2.99 euros, only to play with this car (nascar) in iracing..i dont know if works foir sure (all games i ahve bought from kinguin work) but i think i will try to soon...
it seems evry good

In all seriousness, I would love to see a *proper* NASCAR sim for the new consoles. The Eutechnyx games were riddled with bugs and glitches. Each year they essentially copied the code and assets from the previous game, thus carrying over all those bugs and glitches. Compare "NASCAR The Game" to "NASCAR '14" and you will still see some of the same bugs...it's, pathetic.

EDIT: if there are any NASCAR fans/followers here, feel free to post in the discussion thread I made a couple weeks ago ;) http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/54/the-nascar-2014-discussion-thread#latest

ok guys for nascar lovers i have a solution...visit this page :http://www.kinguin.net/category/5623/iracing-com-3-month-membership-with-gen-6-ford-car/ and you will be able to buy 3 months  membership for Gen 6 Ford for 2.99 euros, only to play with this car (nascar) in iracing..i dont know if works foir sure (all games i ahve bought from kinguin work) but i think i will try to soon...
it seems evry good

Iracing lacks the Career mode I want, and has the fees I don't want lol That and my PC is a PoS these days and I haven't gotten around to either getting a new one, or replacing the faulty parts within this one. I simply prefer to game on consoles with my friends, and since Command and Conquer, and SimCity4 were pretty much my top played games on PC, and both series are dead or crap now, I just haven't had the urge to fiddle with my PC. 

Though I have been increasingly considering it, I travel way too much to play Iracing enough to make it worth it.

it seems evry good

Iracing lacks the Career mode I want, and has the fees I don't want lol That and my PC is a PoS these days and I haven't gotten around to either getting a new one, or replacing the faulty parts within this one. I simply prefer to game on consoles with my friends, and since Command and Conquer, and SimCity4 were pretty much my top played games on PC, and both series are dead or crap now, I just haven't had the urge to fiddle with my PC. 

Though I have been increasingly considering it, I travel way too much to play Iracing enough to make it worth it.
Completely agree. The investment you have to make for iRacing is quite high, especially if you aren't serious about it. I'm hoping *someone* releases a sim racing game soon for the PS4 that at least has a NASCAR car or two and some tracks (among other series and tracks).

It's 11 o clock at night here. I got excited and read this as "Codemasters has got the NASCAR license, how should the game be made"

Don't mess with my emotions like that. :p

I'd love a CM NASCAR game. Just get a simple, basic career mode with solid gameplay. That would be good enough for a first game. As they got more experience with NASCAR, continue adding different features, NW and Trucks, etc. at a good, constant rate.

But first, they have to get the license. Which, they could if they wanted to, since Eutechnyx doesn't have an exclusive license like EA, correct?

i like the idea, DarkRedslayer talked about a co-op in Nascer how good would that be at daytona two cars need to work as one now thats team work

There is already a discussion thread for this here: http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/244/nascar

And due to a lighter learning curve

I have to disagree with this as NASCAR has more tracks to learn (and they can be real tricky) more cars behind or in front of you and a very touchy car to drive... it's actually a very steep learning curve if you want to do well. The setups are quite a bit more complicated as you mentioned as well. If you enjoy racing it's a nice change from F1 and good fun.

Not sure how others on this forum feel about it, since it seems like for the most part, F1 and NASCAR fans don't "cross the border" so to speak lol. I like both, so I guess I'm weird.

P.S. Stop BSing and annouce Dirt 4 please.

I like both, but have actually found myself leaning more towards F1 and V8's (when I can find a live stream). Odd how things change over time.

SynGamer said:
I like both, but have actually found myself leaning more towards F1 and V8's (when I can find a live stream). Odd how things change over time.
I'll watch Nascar here and there, used to watch Champ cars all the time until it folded now just watch F1 & v8 supercars

likewise said:
I have to disagree with this as NASCAR has more tracks to learn (and they can be real tricky) more cars behind or in front of you and a very touchy car to drive... it's actually a very steep learning curve if you want to do well. The setups are quite a bit more complicated as you mentioned as well. If you enjoy racing it's a nice change from F1 and good fun.

It is lighter, simply because you only have to learn "4" turns per track (excluding Watkins Glen and Sonoma of course). Now, perhaps to be among the top drivers, yes, the learning curve can be quite steep, but until you get into set ups, you'll never be among the fastest anyway. Setups learning curve would be drastically steeper in NASCAR due to tuning each wheels suspension and air pressure settings separately. But getting the basics of driving down, would be easier. Esp since, if you learn Charlotte for instance, You'll be able to run Texas and Atlanta at acceptable speeds as well by default.

My point is, from a pick up and play point of view, you will be able to compete in NASCAR before you could compete in F1. Now, to learn the perfect way to drive ovals, is a different story all together. And someone who picked up and played NASCAR for the first time, won't stand even the slightest chance against a longer term player even on locked set ups. So in that aspect it's no different from any other type of racing.

As a long-time NASCAR fan, I've heard countless jokes and comparisons. Oddly enough, Jeff Gordon put it best when he explained why NASCAR is so challenging, for anyone;

(paraphrased)

"People look at NASCAR and think 'they're only turning left, and only 4 turns, how is that hard?'. What they don't think about is we're racing door-to-door at 200 MPH, inches apart. Each end of the track is essentially a giant sweeping turn that you have to maximize speed from start to finish."

Something along those lines. While I understand the jokes about turning left, if you watch a race like Auto Club (California) or Michigan, they're running 4 and 5 deep (side-by-side) into and THROUGH the turns, and making it out in one piece (usually). That can be pretty exciting and is in no way easy I would imagine.