Sign in to follow this  

@Codies - World HotLap Rankings

Hi and thanks for taking the time to read this.

I am not that young and I started playing racing games long before Internet came around. When internet reached the masses, the people playing racing games wanted to compete against each other and since there was no games with online support, the community developed anti-cheat applications that would run in the background and would send verifying files and the times itself to online rankings. The point being, even after games started to have online support and internet infrastructure improved, these king of offline/online competitions continued to exist having some of them thousands of active players. In a way there were what Global Challenge is, but fixed and long term.

When I look at the Time Trial implementation in GAS I see no point in doing it, because essentially there is no global competition. Ok, we can measure ourselves to others track by track, but just checking that out would take like 30m. TT implementation together with the future VAC support is all we need to make a Global HotLap competition where anyone from everywhere could participate. Knowing most GAS players dont do Online Racing and prefer Global Challenges, this would be like a massive Global Challenge. Honestly, I could see the active community of GAS skyrocket, because I know many people that would get the game just because of this.

What would we need? A scoring system. I dont think we have to complicate it, can be 100 to 1, or in other words, Top100 drivers in each track would receive points. More points, better position.
Then, ideally, we would have Tables for all the Car Classes (Touring, Street, etc.), allowing us to have rankings for each class and in the end a Champion for each one (for those who dont want to race all car classes). Finally we would have a General Table with the scoring sum of all the car classes, which would crown the number 1 driver overall.
As a bonus, and only for those who would have results in all tracks/all cars/all classes, there would be a Total Time Table. This table would be interesting because the True Fastest driver and the Overall Scoring Leader may be diferent! :)

Bottom line, this would extend the life of the game in an immense way, would open the game to a much larger community and wouldnt need anything special under the development point of view because all the necessary data is already created by the game, we just need to treat it to this objective. Unless I am missing something, an Online Interface like Racenet Challenge with connection to the results database would generate everything.

Please think about it, because this would be awesome. Would be like having a new game inside GAS, and knowing the problems this game had, I would say CM needs a revamp like this for this game! ;)

Thanks again!

Hi and thanks for taking the time to read this.

I am not that young and I started playing racing games long before Internet came around. When internet reached the masses, the people playing racing games wanted to compete against each other and since there was no games with online support, the community developed anti-cheat applications that would run in the background and would send verifying files and the times itself to online rankings. The point being, even after games started to have online support and internet infrastructure improved, these king of offline/online competitions continued to exist having some of them thousands of active players. In a way there were what Global Challenge is, but fixed and long term.

When I look at the Time Trial implementation in GAS I see no point in doing it, because essentially there is no global competition. Ok, we can measure ourselves to others track by track, but just checking that out would take like 30m. TT implementation together with the future VAC support is all we need to make a Global HotLap competition where anyone from everywhere could participate. Knowing most GAS players dont do Online Racing and prefer Global Challenges, this would be like a massive Global Challenge. Honestly, I could see the active community of GAS skyrocket, because I know many people that would get the game just because of this.

What would we need? A scoring system. I dont think we have to complicate it, can be 100 to 1, or in other words, Top100 drivers in each track would receive points. More points, better position.
Then, ideally, we would have Tables for all the Car Classes (Touring, Street, etc.), allowing us to have rankings for each class and in the end a Champion for each one (for those who dont want to race all car classes). Finally we would have a General Table with the scoring sum of all the car classes, which would crown the number 1 driver overall.
As a bonus, and only for those who would have results in all tracks/all cars/all classes, there would be a Total Time Table. This table would be interesting because the True Fastest driver and the Overall Scoring Leader may be diferent! :)

Bottom line, this would extend the life of the game in an immense way, would open the game to a much larger community and wouldnt need anything special under the development point of view because all the necessary data is already created by the game, we just need to treat it to this objective. Unless I am missing something, an Online Interface like Racenet Challenge with connection to the results database would generate everything.

Please think about it, because this would be awesome. Would be like having a new game inside GAS, and knowing the problems this game had, I would say CM needs a revamp like this for this game! ;)

Thanks again!

funnily enough I was thinking the same thing last night. I don't think it would be necessary to have times on all tracks. People who would want to compete for the top would naturally put in a time on as many tracks as possible. it probably would need to limit points to the top 50 places, with 50 points for first etc. 

It would also be good to have a team event. I know TT is supposed to be solitary, but my guess is the teams would be up for proving who was the fastest !