Sign in to follow this  

online race time counter

They should have a lap counter. How are they to judge how long a race is with no time limit unless you join an Endurance lobby?

should it not be counting down so that we know how long is left to wait?

it counts upwards and I'm a tad puzzled

It can't count down until someone wins the race, that's why.

I was under the impression that cm would implement a count so that we knew how long was left in the race and therefore how long we had to wait

How can you have a counter to tell how much time is left in a race? That would be impossible to calculate.

It makes no sense to me. Just tell me how many laps are left. On a good note, I think some the cars handle better since the patch.....anyone else? (360)

Zebrawire said:
It makes no sense to me. Just tell me how many laps are left. On a good note, I think some the cars handle better since the patch.....anyone else? (360)
Yeah, some feel better, some feel worse. Drove a BMW in Street yesterday and either the car was heavier or the brakes are less effective. Also seems like AI have been given an acceleration boost coming out of corners. Was alongside 1 coming out a turn (identicle cars) we get the power down at the same time, are neck and neck, AI changes gear, has a touch of wheel spin and is suddenly going 10mph faster

TUSMBOX said:
How can you have a counter to tell how much time is left in a race? That would be impossible to calculate.

yes perhaps I should have said a laps remaining counter, that's what I mant

my bad

Yeah, the new progress timer doesn't help me that much either. Why couldn't we have a "laps/minutes remaining" counter instead? That's much more helpful.

This wouldn't be as much of a problem if spectator mode was available...

It's not perfect, but it's better than nothing. It's not hard to look at a cat and track combination, and take an educated guess as to how far they are from finishing.

TUSMBOX said:
It's not perfect, but it's better than nothing. It's not hard to look at a cat and track combination, and take an educated guess as to how far they are from finishing.
You don't know what kind of lobby you're joining though, and theres like a 15 second delay after the race starts for the timer to pop up. Have we joined a fast lobby or a slow 1 with wreckers?

TUSMBOX said:

oh please. we could do that before the counter. if there's a counter it should eliminate guesswork

You would never be able to tell what kind of drivers are in the lobby, unless you know people by name. Even if one guy is fast, you won't know who else is on that same level, you only know when the race has been finished.

TUSMBOX said:
You would never be able to tell what kind of drivers are in the lobby, unless you know people by name. Even if one guy is fast, you won't know who else is on that same level, you only know when the race has been finished.
That's my point. Fast guys, usually finish 20 to 30 seconds faster than most players, but obviously if grouped with wreckers, it could be different. It's all guesswork. A race on a track could take 250 seconds, another on the same track could take 350. A simple lap counter would do the job better and allow us to spectate if we just missed the start

20 or 30 seconds is a little over the top. You have to consider the winner only... and most of the times that one should be a half decent driver that is less than 3 seconds off of good driver. Anyway, it is a guess... if I see Cat A, Spa, 3 laps I go with ~135s per lap, so 405s in sum. As this is a guess, cause I constantly forget how fast I go round a track, the 3 seconds more/less per lap don't matter anyway. But I know I can easily take a p*ss if the clock is at 200s. ;)

To completion... that would be pretty easy aswell. We get 3 sectors on each track, meaning a 3 lap race split in 9 parts of 11%. Whenever the leading car passes the latest sector, the counter goes up and we get a decent indicator of how far the race is. Time is the unknown factor, but distance is fixed (more or less), so you go over that.

But I don't expect anything like that in GAS anymore. I just remember how GRID did that... you couldn't only spectate, you could even see laps, times, positions of all drivers from the lobby, right?

Yeah, it may be a bit OTT but there are extremely fast guys out there. There's been times I've finished 15 seconds but only came 2nd with 1st a further 10 seconds ahead. Obviously, the race will end quicker with a fast drive with the 1 minute timer, but like I said, it could be a war zone and the race finishes about 60 or so seconds after it would with a clean race

The simple solution would be to show percentage complete instead of the meaningless counter. That would work for all disciplines and race types.

The simplest solution as others have said was to just put a lap counter either , counting down or up doesn't matter to me. The way it is now it's more like guesstimating how long there's left to go. I usually assume 300 to 350 seconds and the race is almost over .

should it not be counting down so that we know how long is left to wait?

it counts upwards and I'm a tad puzzled

As others have mentioned, counting down is a bit problematic as every lobby is going to be different - taking into account skill of drivers among other things.

The timer that's in the lobby is meant to be an indication only, something you can look at and say "ok they've been racing on Bathurst for 10 minutes, they should be finished soon" or "they've only been racing for 30 seconds, I'll find another lobby".

But the lobby system is broken. Say I want to race Street, I search for a lobby and either get a room thats just started or full of people I know to be rammers. I back out, search again and I get put back in the same room. We should be able to spectate or set it up like it is searching for Custom Cup where we can see how many "rooms" there are in each catergory. That way we can pick instead of seeing the same room all the time. You know it's bad when I race against the same 20 people everyday with 1 or 2 new people now and then

@Loore‌ 
Yes, counting down is unrealistic, but as I said, a progress relating to the sectors of the track should be easily possible I think and gives a way clearer info even for people that don't instantly know how long a lap round a certain track in a certain car usually takes. Theres 3 or 4 secotrs on each track, what should give a status update every 30 seconds or so and that way a pretty decent indicator, if it's a wee-break or a cigarette-break. ;)
And of course, unfortunately you don't see anything about progress/status in the lobby selection screen, what really can be a pain in the a**.
Pretty often I can decide between two lobbys, just to see, that the one I entered just started the race. When entering the other one, same again, just started.
You only know, if they're still in the lobby and from that on which race. Something like 'race finished' would be nice, to know that I can join the next, if I enter right now. Or aswell the progress, would be much better. I had times where I searched 20 minutes for a decent lobby, cause I didn't wait the 6 minutes in one, till they finished and then always missing the next race in any lobby by 5 seconds. That is super annoying.