Sign in to follow this  

F1 Transfer Gossip

mike96 said:
There is another option for Magnussen. Once Honda start supplying engines to other teams, they could ask one of them to take him along with the engines, sorta like Bianchi - Ferrari - Marussia.
https://twitter.com/Jamesallenonf1/status/543008440164294656

It could happen.
Yes please! Have Ferrari buy out Marussia & McLaren buy out Caterham and then we can have full grids for 2016!

Yes please! Have Ferrari buy out Marussia & McLaren buy out Caterham and then we can have full grids for 2016!
As much as that is a nice idea it's never going to happen. To field a competitive B-team would require vast expenditure in exchange for very little revenue, which I don't think Ron will see as very cost effective solution simply in the name of fielding young drivers.

When he speaks about "helping", I'm pretty sure he probably means in terms of adjusting the sporting regulations. Or, knowing Ron, maybe he just means "helping" them out the door. 

VetteIfan said:
As much as that is a nice idea it's never going to happen. To field a competitive B-team would require vast expenditure in exchange for very little revenue, which I don't think Ron will see as very cost effective solution simply in the name of fielding young drivers.

When he speaks about "helping", I'm pretty sure he probably means in terms of adjusting the sporting regulations. Or, knowing Ron, maybe he just means "helping" them out the door. 
RedBull manged it...

VetteIfan said:

I agree it's unlikely but it could happen both teams would just need to be managed right though like Red Bull and Torro Rosso are if it were to happen

Hughesy said:
VetteIfan said:

RedBull manged it...
Mclaren Group 2013 revenue: £268 million
Red Bull 2013 revenue: £3.9 billion

That goes some way to explaining it. Mclaren are by no terms poor, but they haven't got the money to just go throwing £100 million a year at a new F1 project. 

I can't help but feel McLaren have made a mistake here. I would've kept Button and Magnussen tbh, I feel really sorry for Kevin. Now they're stuck with two ageing drivers who will probably retire within a year or two. Magnussen and Vandoorne would be a terrible replacement line up so it'll be one of them and whoever else they can find.

Within a year or two? Schumi has shown a driver can continue into their early 40's, and I'd expect to see Button and Alonso go till at least 38/39, and then switch over to WEC where they could race for probably another 10 years. 

Still plenty of milage in both of these 'old' dogs :p 

Within a year or two? Schumi has shown a driver can continue into their early 40's, and I'd expect to see Button and Alonso go till at least 38/39, and then switch over to WEC where they could race for probably another 10 years. 

Button will not be going for 10 years :p 

WE WANT BUTTON !!!! MCLAREN , HOW COULD YOU EVEN CONSIDER MAGNUSSEN , JENSON TRASHED HIM. BUTTON !! BUTTON !! BUTTON !!

*Mclaren give Button the drive*

Wow , Mclaren have really made a bad decision here. Alonso and Button are both getting cr*p. WE WANT KEVIN !!

Nigel Mansell raced in his 40s o:)

fIsince08 said:

Button will not be going for 10 years :p 
Yea, not in F1, but there's every chance he could in WEC. Dindo Capello raced till 48, Tom Kristensen 47, hell, Emerson Fittipaldi raced in the last WEC race at 67 years old.

fIsince08 said:
I can't help but feel McLaren have made a mistake here. I would've kept Button and Magnussen tbh, I feel really sorry for Kevin. Now they're stuck with two ageing drivers who will probably retire within a year or two. Magnussen and Vandoorne would be a terrible replacement line up so it'll be one of them and whoever else they can find.
Isn't that the case with every driver, unless they're some kind of magical wizard. :stuck_out_tongue: 

WE WANT BUTTON !!!! MCLAREN , HOW COULD YOU EVEN CONSIDER MAGNUSSEN , JENSON TRASHED HIM. BUTTON !! BUTTON !! BUTTON !!

Wow , Mclaren have really made a bad decision here. Alonso and Button are both getting cr*p. WE WANT KEVIN !!

Yeah, entertaining, even though I've been speaking in favor of Magnussen to keep his drive for months.

Hughesy said:

Nigel Mansell raced in his 40s o:)

yeah he won his only championjship then as well so there's still plenty of mileage if the 2 drivers want it I think. I don't see Button doing any moer than 2/3 more seasons though but given he does enjoy keeping fit and competing whether he's winning or not may help him last a bit longer if he wants it. it's hard to say though how long either of these 2 will last but they're definitely closer to the end of their careers than the beginning.

Jiggy said:

Yeah, entertaining, even though I've been speaking in favor of Magnussen to keep his drive for months.
I wasn't aiming that at anyone in particular. It was only a light hearted joke.

Well to be fair some drivers make better test drivers than race drivers. Gene and Badoer were never exactly world beaters yet they were long serving Ferrari test drivers.

Nowadays, being a Ferrari test-driver basically is nothing more than driving a 2011-spec Ferrari in demo's in Moscow, Rotterdam and whatever. At least now he is making a start for a possible career beyond F1 in WEC or whatever.

That could actually turn out to be a good move for JEV. From what I hear he'll be doing mainly simulator work this year, but with Jules Bianchi sadly out of action at the moment, if he can impress he'll surely have a chance at a seat when Kimi retires. 

And wouldn't that end up being the irony to end all ironies. Ferrari running two drivers from the Red Bull driver academy. I don't know what that says about their own.