Jump to content Jump to content
F1 2021 | Online Services Update 11:00AM UK Time | Expected to last no longer than 2 hours ×

F1 Transfer Gossip

Talk about a move outta nowhere. Even Randy Orton would be jealous. 

I don't think it's such a bad thing, unless you think Van Der Garde, Gutierrez or Sirotkin is a hugely more exciting prospect. Nasr's race craft has tended to be a bit ropey in GP2 at times, but that's the only major concern I would have for him coming in to F1 right now. He's spent enough years in GP2 to be ready by now. 
It's just a shame, once again it seems the actual champion of GP2 has been totally ignored. I've heard nothing of rumors about Palmer, and with Caterham/Marussia being questionable, he probably won't get a seat.

I'm also surprised that Nasr took up the move. Williams were clearly supporting him, giving him frequent time in the car. And surely Massa doesn't have long himself left before hanging up the helmet? And Bottas could easily be poached for 2016? I would of thought Nasr would of been a shoe in for a seat should either of them leave (Or even simply him replacing Massa in 2016 - who knows). But instead he's cut ties and gone to a team which is seriously struggling. And honestly, his future career might be seriously hit if Ericsson can beat him - even with the extra years experience for Ericsson, it wouldn't look good for Nasr.
It's just a shame, once again it seems the actual champion of GP2 has been totally ignored. I've heard nothing of rumors about Palmer, and with Caterham/Marussia being questionable, he probably won't get a seat.

I'm also surprised that Nasr took up the move. Williams were clearly supporting him, giving him frequent time in the car. And surely Massa doesn't have long himself left before hanging up the helmet? And Bottas could easily be poached for 2016? I would of thought Nasr would of been a shoe in for a seat should either of them leave (Or even simply him replacing Massa in 2016 - who knows). But instead he's cut ties and gone to a team which is seriously struggling. And honestly, his future career might be seriously hit if Ericsson can beat him - even with the extra years experience for Ericsson, it wouldn't look good for Nasr.
That's what I was thinking. I mean OK, you are going to take an F1 drive if you're offered it but he was next in line for Williams who are the second best on the grid!
You've got to make a move when you can. Nasr has probably got no guarantee he'll be in the Williams when Bottas or Massa leaves. If he passed up the opportunity to join Sauber now and never got that seat at Williams it would hinder his future career much more to not get a seat at all. And besides, I don't think Massa is going to retire in a hurry when he's in such a good car, and same for Bottas. The only car you'd leave a Williams for right now is a Mercedes.
Well I bet none of the stupid Twitter rumour accounts got that one right. Certainly was not expecting this news this morning! Well I say fair enough, a seat has come up, he has the money and he's done pretty good in GP2 this year. He can't get a drive at Williams until at least 2016 so why not. Prove yourself in a lower team and they may well still take you on at Williams for 2016. I hope he does well.
Talking about Sauber... They might be in a bit of a pickle. Nasr signing for them means they now have 3 drivers contracted for 2015. Sutil signed for a fixed 2 year contract last year. I honestly hope they sort this asap. As we could really do without contract disputes and with Sauber not a million miles away from money issues, having to pay him out might be a bit of an issue.

http://adamcooperf1.com/2014/11/06/sutil-in-dispute-with-sauber-over-2015-contract/

And Sutil's girlfriend is clearly not happy  :p

It's a tragedy really when drivers like Maldonado, Ericsson and even Massa to an extent are already confirmed and there's Button who's still performing well looking more and more likely that he's off and Vergne who proved he was just as good as Ricciardo at STR struggling to stay on the grid.

I really don't see where the logic would be in Mclaren dumping Button yet though. I'm obviously not on the inside but to me it only seems logical to have Button partner Alonso (assuming he's joining) for a year at least and give Magnussen an extra year to develop alongside two of the best drivers going before one of them retires. Alonso did just that after his first seasons and he was all the better for it. The more experience the better while they're developing their relationship with Honda, and Button obviously has that connection going for him as well. I'm baffled as to why a team that wants the best drivers available at the time aren't doing that. Magnussen is young enough that a year out to develop further won't hurt his career, especially if he's guaranteed a Mclaren seat in the future. Right now, he's still too rough around the edges.