Jump to content Jump to content
F1 2021 | Online Services Update 11:00AM UK Time | Expected to last no longer than 2 hours ×

F1 Transfer Gossip

I don't even know what this term "butt hurt" means but going by the context I imagine you mean I'm sounding upset at the way they're running things? If you actually read into what I said you'd know what I mean.
I mean they are ruthless in their operation, something I actually respect as it generally gets the best out of their drivers as they would  understand that when they sign for them. They've done it in the past, most recently last season with Perez. They left him waiting and when they finally announced it was nearly too late for him. I think it would be unfortunate if they didn't announce it and then reveal after the race that Jenson is leaving. Which is why I then went on to say that it wouldn't surprise me if Jenson himself announced his own retirement. Then I speculate possible meanings.
I'm a bit surprised I'm having to explain that post.
Also , I never said I didn't understand your post . I was just disagreeing ....  :\
VetteIfan said:
Classic Mclaren statement. Most normal teams will issue a date they'll have their drivers decided before, but Mclaren being Mclaren post a date that they're going to decide after.

"After December 1st" is hardly accurate anyway. We'll probably be waiting till March still. 
McLaren said they'd announce their new title sponsor after the 2013 Brazilian GP. Well they still haven't even announced that and a whole year has passed!

On that basis McLaren will have no confirmed drivers next season!

You are presuming I didn't read it. I did. Mclaren don't have to announce anything before Abu Dhabi though.  They fired one driver late in the year and that warrants their system as ''vicious'' ? Really ? They were entirely right to do what they did to Perez anyway. Mclaren are a business and their interests don't lie in Perez or Button.They lie in Mclaren . Also your first post cam across as very angry to me. Maybe it's the wording that got me but to me it seems as though you've completely changed your tune compared to the first post. It's probably just me though. Also , sorry if that first post came across as too harsh. After reading it again , it does to me.
Vicious was probably the wrong choice of word on my part. Ruthless is more fitting. I'm not using it as a negative however. As you say, their interest is in the team and anything else is expendable. A ruthless way of going about it, but a system that has been working for them since they started. My sentiments come from the fact that drivers, although expendable and the team will live on without them, are part of that team and it wouldn't be unusual to give them a sendoff just as if any member of the office is retiring or changing career paths. For example, Red Bull gave Webber a sendoff last year at the last race. Schumacher, Hakkinen, Coulthard, Hill etc. All well respected drivers who had a proper sendoff which is why I'd find it surprising if someone like Jenson doesn't get one as most would agree he fits into the category of well respected. This is what gives me the feeling that perhaps Jenson is staying, but then because of the way Mclaren run, it might not be.
No need for apologies, like I say, bad wording on my part.
Paffett leaving is more likely down to the change to Honda power whereas he's a Mercedes driver in DTM. Whether it will have an impact on the driver lineup is questionable. Maybe they are considering putting Kevin in that position for the year afterall? It would certainly benefit them should three car teams come to light in 2016 or even next season.
I don't know, I'd rather see someone else. As much as I like Vergne, but he had his chance and he's solid but nothing more than that.

Give a younger guy a chance.
Pretty much my thoughts too. Vergne isn't a bad driver, but Williams should really be looking at drivers like Grosjean or Hulkenberg, drivers who many of us consider future world champions.
Just seen a tweet from Button saying he isn't finished with F1 yet. Saving McLaren from the embarrassment of losing to Force India (who have F all money) should be enough really. Kevin isn't good enough for McLaren yet, even Perez did better against Button than he did....
I'm not a Button fan but there is no way you can justify keeping Kevin over him, can't even play the rookie card cause you'd still expect Kevin to do better than he did all year. If they sacked Perez they have to sack Kevin, it was a bigger mistake signing him than it would be to get rid of him. Jenson has done more than enough to keep his seat.
fIsince08 said:
Button has admitted that he won't be working with Magnussen next season.
Obviously, because if either one stays they will partner Alonso. Button scored more points than Hamilton when they were partners, I think that proves how good he is. Nobody pushed Lewis like Jenson did, and if he partners Alonso that would be awesome!
In the last five races, Button has finished more than 20 seconds in front of Magnussen four times including lapping him in one of them. He's out qualified Magnussen more often (supposedly Button's biggest weakness) and he saved Mclaren from losing 5th in the constructors to Force India. With the exception of the Austrian race, Jenson has been the far superior driver all season. Mclaren are only going to make themselves look utterly foolish if they don't keep him over Kevin now. Not only that, Alonso himself wants Button as his team mate. I hear it's just down to seeing what sponsors Alonso brings though and whether they can afford both (which is rubbish as they know they can afford both since Honda are paying for Alonso).