Jump to content Jump to content
F1 2021 | Online Services Update 11:00AM UK Time | Expected to last no longer than 2 hours ×

F1 Transfer Gossip

McLaren are treating Jenson and Kevin like scum, they don't deserve this.

wo0uldn't be surprised if they didn't make McLaren's mind up for them by signing for other teams/disciplines rather than be left waiting for an answer. I know if I were Jenson I'd be making a move soon if McLaren don't.

Scum is a tad strong. :stuck_out_tongue: 

they shouldn't be kept waiting like this though. They deserve answers so they can sort out what they want to do next year too. This is the first time I've known McLaren to behave like this though.

Uh , Perez 2013?
Don't think the Perez decision took this long at least I don't remember them taking that long over it.
McLaren are treating Jenson and Kevin like scum, they don't deserve this.

wo0uldn't be surprised if they didn't make McLaren's mind up for them by signing for other teams/disciplines rather than be left waiting for an answer. I know if I were Jenson I'd be making a move soon if McLaren don't.

Scum is a tad strong. :stuck_out_tongue: 

they shouldn't be kept waiting like this though. They deserve answers so they can sort out what they want to do next year too. This is the first time I've known McLaren to behave like this though.

Uh , Perez 2013?
Don't think the Perez decision took this long at least I don't remember them taking that long over it.
No , it didn't but this will be the 2nd year in a row of Mclaren leaving their drivers announcements so late that their current drivers either don't or are lucky to get a seat.
Apparently Perez only got told 2 days before it was announced, definitely some awful treatment in my book. It'd be like any one of us going to work tomorrow and being told that your fired from Thursday.
He thought he was still a McLaren driver for 2014 before that. So personally, with this ridiculous delay and shoddy treatment of their drivers, they've really started to annoy me.
Apparently Perez only got told 2 days before it was announced, definitely some awful treatment in my book. It'd be like any one of us going to work tomorrow and being told that your fired from Thursday.
He thought he was still a McLaren driver for 2014 before that. So personally, with this ridiculous delay and shoddy treatment of their drivers, they've really started to annoy me.

Let's hope they make a decision soon preferably before Christmas
So they're going to do it on Christmas Eve probably, knowing McLaren. I can see it now.

"Hey Jenson."
"Hi Ron. Merry Christmas."
"Yeah, about that, we've picked Kevin. Up to you to decide whether this Christmas is still merrily or not haha."
"........"
"I've send you a casserole, hope you and Jess will like it."
"......"
"I've used a pink dish too, to honor your father."
"....."
"Merry Chri-"
*click*
The Mail OnlineSport (may not be the most reliable) say Button will be staying,  thanks to shareholders and Honda wanting him to stay. I just retweeted it, but here's the link. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/formulaone/article-2869019/Jenson-Button-stay-McLaren-Brit-beats-Kevin-Magnussen-partner-Fernando-Alonso-season.html

Really hope it's true! :D
I don't know how reliable that article is but I sincerely hope it is true. If Button is indeed kept on, my next hope is that Magnussen is given the reserve seat to give him another shot in the future. He deserves more than one season and being on the sidelines to observe and learn from two of the best drivers of recent years will no doubt help him. Being put back as reserve may doubly help him as it would no doubt spur him on into trying even harder to improve which can only be a good thing.
I don't know how reliable that article is but I sincerely hope it is true. If Button is indeed kept on, my next hope is that Magnussen is given the reserve seat to give him another shot in the future. He deserves more than one season and being on the sidelines to observe and learn from two of the best drivers of recent years will no doubt help him. Being put back as reserve may doubly help him as it would no doubt spur him on into trying even harder to improve which can only be a good thing.
I have to disagree with this. The best way that Magnussen is going to become a better driving is by well, driving. A year on the sidelines with no racing is just gonna make his race craft rusty, and not something he can make up for by just "observing" Alonso and Button, no matter how good drivers they may be.

I'm not saying Magnussen deserves the seat over Button because of that, but I fear for Magnussen's future. If Button gets the seat and Magnussen does spend a year on the sidelines, you can guarantee knowing Mclaren they'll just skip straight to Vandoorne when Button retires, and Magnussen will never properly get his chance. That's if Button even leaves next season anyway. If all this hassle over him staying turns out to be over just one extra year in a likely average car until Mclaren sack him next year, it will all be a bit of a p*sstake. 
VetteIfan said:
I have to disagree with this. The best way that Magnussen is going to become a better driving is by well, driving. A year on the sidelines with no racing is just gonna make his race craft rusty, and not something he can make up for by just "observing" Alonso and Button, no matter how good drivers they may be.

I'm not saying Magnussen deserves the seat over Button because of that, but I fear for Magnussen's future. If Button gets the seat and Magnussen does spend a year on the sidelines, you can guarantee knowing Mclaren they'll just skip straight to Vandoorne when Button retires, and Magnussen will never properly get his chance. That's if Button even leaves next season anyway. If all this hassle over him staying turns out to be over just one extra year in a likely average car until Mclaren sack him next year, it will all be a bit of a p*sstake. 
Very true. I'd imagine if Mclaren were keen to keep him on for the future then there would be something that could be done to get him racing in another category for a year and then spend any available testing time in the Mclaren. Formula E could be a possibility perhaps? Some of the teams in that seem to be signing drivers race by race. He could perhaps develop his racecraft there and develop the technical side alongside Alonso and Button. Could be just one possibility.
If Button were to retire next season then I can see Magnussen returning and then Vandoorne would get the drive when Alonso decides to call it a day (which if we're just going by age) probably wouldn't be that long after Button.
Obviously though I lack any insight into how these things work since I'm not in the business, all just guess work. I'm probably completely wrong, especially if these reports aren't actually true about their lineup next season.