Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2017 Snapchat British Grand Prix

In a rather late decision, I'm going to Silverstone tomorrow with one of my mates! Can't wait to see these new 2017 cars for the first time. Just hope the rain stays away and it's moderately warm!

But back to the race preview, Formula 1 today announced a new global partnership with popular social media app, Snapchat. Trackside sponsorship will be present, and a series of new innovative strategies was announced, with details below.

WATCH LIVE FROM THE HELMET
All drivers must wear the new Snapchat Spectacles which will live stream each driver's view as they are racing.

VIRTUAL REALITY
Combining with the other Formula 1 partnerships, there will be a selection of virtual reality objects to place into your Snaps. This will include:
- Heineken bottles
- Rolex watches
- Fly Emirates aeroplanes
- Carbon champagne bottles
- 2003 British GP intruder
- Johnny Herbert on a Segway
- Deckchairs

FACE FILTERS
There will also be a selection of special face filters to put over your own face. These will include:
- Chase Carey and his moustache
- Sean Bratches and his eyebrows
- Ross Brawn and his lips
- Nigel Mansell and his moustache
- Lewis Hamilton and his general bling
- Daniel Ricciardo and his teeth
- Kimi Raikkonen and a 'bwoah' sound effect for videos.

I can't believe this guys, I've been invited to go to a Force India VIP event at Silverstone on Saturday!

I'm not even joking, I literally found out about this just after posting this thread up. So here's how it's come about... I have no idea if I should technically post this or not, no idea how private it's meant to be, but whatever...!

My sister is having driving lessons with my old instructor, who I got on with brilliantly, and I always stop and have a chat with him when he comes round to pick her up.

Anyway, when he got back with her today, he mentioned to her that he won't be around at the weekend for lessons because he's going to Silverstone. Well she told him that I'm also going tomorrow, and he then said that he's been invited as a VIP to a Force India event on Saturday, and his wife isn't going on that day, so he has a spare pass.

He basically asked if I would like to go along with him, and as you can imagine, I said YES PLEASE quicker than you can blink! I won't bore you with the details of how my instructor got to go along to this, but basically, last year he went to a Force India event at Silverstone and somehow ended up driving the 2014 car! He met Hulkenberg and Perez, but also Nikita Mazepin, who he's now in semi-regular contact with. (Mazepin is an F3 driver, and tested for Force India last year). So that's kinda how this all came about.

So yeah, I'm absolutely PUMPED. It's apparently quite a formal event, so no trainers and I need to wear trousers and a shirt. I believe included in it all is food all day, so breakfast, lunch and dinner. A full, free bar (yes yes yes). Viewing from a balcony at Brooklands and the BRDC (I think). He said the drivers and team personnel should turn up at some point, so will hopefully get to meet Perez and Ocon. Also other various bits of entertainment, and there's a general admission ticket chucked in as well so we can wander about.

Unfortunately no paddock access, but if we're feeling extra cheeky maybe we could ask about it, even if it's like a tour of the Force India garage. If you don't ask, you don't get!

Can't believe it, I'm honestly in total shock. I've gone from not going at all, to VIP access within about 48 hours! I googled how much this sort of thing costs and it's like £600+, and that's without even getting in the track with a general admission ticket, so I feel incredibly #blessed.

In case I do manage to meet Perez and Ocon and end up having a chat, are there any questions you guys have that you'd want to ask them? Let me know here and I will try my very best. As I said, no promises, but fingers crossed!

'Hey Esteban, do you mind if I ask you a couple of questions please?'

'Of course!'

'Cool, well, this guy from a forum asked when are you going to slap Checo silly once and for all?'

*silence*
*asked to leave event*

MBKF1 said:
'Hey Esteban, do you mind if I ask you a couple of questions please?'

'Of course!'

'Cool, well, this guy from a forum asked when are you going to slap Checo silly once and for all?'

*silence*
*asked to leave event*
Make sure you have two beer cans in your hands and slam them together and pour them in as you leave ;)

Wish I was going to Sliverstone tomorrow, alas the only place I'm going tomorrow is the vets as my old dog is ill again :(

Ask Checo if he consumed Gutierrez' talents for maximum Mexican power.

Ask the both of them who would win in a game of Mario Kart.

Ask Ocon if he ever was worried that his height would get in the way of a F1-career.

Ask Checo what's it like to leave the Ferrari-academy to join McLaren, to now being in a Mercedes-B team to now being linked with Ferrari again.

Ask Checo what it's like to be the first pay-driver who is so fast that people forget that he's a pay-driver.

Ask Checo if anyone in the paddock misses Maldonado.

Ask any of them if they have any juicy stories on Wehrlein and why he didn't join Force India.

That is such an awesome story haha, mad how things work out sometimes.. Have a blast mate! 

I know, absolutely mad how it works out sometimes. Thank you!

Had a blast today as well, I'm absolutely knackered after walking the whole track, plus a relatively long walk to the car park! I went on RouteBuilder and worked out we walked about 12.5 km / 8 miles today!

Sat at Luffield for FP1, it was a fairly uneventful session, and then we spent an hour or so at the F1 Fan Zone as there was a break in proceedings. It was actually really good, loads to do, some cool displays. Just walking around the site as well, you can see the new things Liberty are bringing in. Loads of Heineken bars everywhere (although it's £5.30 for a pint, total daylight robbery), and cool pictures everywhere, and when nothing was happening on track, they were playing classic races on the screens. Really good stuff.

We then walked all the way round to Maggots and Becketts and sat in the grandstand there for FP2. Absolutely the best place to watch these F1 cars from, as you get a great view of the whole Loop section + Wellington Straight, as well as seeing the cars absolutely hammer round those amazing corners, of course!

I still can't believe the speed they take through Maggots and Becketts, just pure commitment. Amazing, and we some big moments for Sainz, Hamilton, Massa and Raikkonen. There was also this incredible camera setup down there (there's a shot they'll use this weekend looking back at Maggots and Becketts where the camera will slowly raise up. This camera is remote controlled and on this thing that extends into about 5 pieces, raising maybe like 20 metres high. Really impressive.

We also had a look at the cameras they use in the coverage, they said what model they were on the side, so we Googled how much they cost. I was stunned. £215,000... I knew they'd be expensive, but bloody heck.

After F1 finished we walked up to Copse and watched GP2 from there, had a wander around the Silverstone Technical College (where they had that Bloodhound car on display), as well as some incredible works of art, which were portraits of Vettel and Webber, but made entirely of magazine clippings and cutouts, all to do with them as well. I'll post a picture soon if I remember, but it's seriously impressive.

Watched GP3 from Woodcote, and then the Porsche's from the Loop, and then began the long walk back to the car, and a cheeky Maccas drive thru on the drive back.

F1 has got to stay at Silverstone. It just has to, they need to find a way. The passion of the fans is amazing. The Maggots / Becketts grandstand was packed, as it was everywhere around the track, and it was just a Friday! And so many people stayed to watch the GP2 / GP3 and Porsches as well. Having a street circuit in London would be incredible, but it would have to be an extra along with Silverstone. Just a brilliant event.

Bring on tomorrow, aaaaagggghhhh!

That sounds absolutely brilliant! Have a great day tomorrow. More coverage very welcome! Greets from south germany! (btw very close to Hockenheim) 

Really wanted dry qualifying, just because of the potential lap time. Wouldn't mind a bit of rain during the race though.

I think if Hamilton gets a penalty the stewards will be hiding inside Silverstone overnight :joy:

It's amazing that, when Hamilton is on form, you feel like it's impossible to imagine him anywhere but on top in certain events: Montreal and Silverstone. Basically unbeatable. Can't imagine him not winning tomorrow if nothing happens.

1: That's not the UK
2: It's not even open

I do find it hilarious reading all the comments saying they are drinking one right now, I bet Lewis hasn't ever drank the stuff 
https://twitter.com/lewishamilton/status/886308383560790016

Was there anything actually in it though, or just part of his sponsorship commitment. It was just a light hearted comment :p

Haha I bloody love this, British fans :heart:

https://twitter.com/grantharvey10/status/886284277700325376

So Brundle has become ill and gone to the medical centre, right after they showed a big montage of his grid walks. Unfortunate timing, hoping he's ok.

Really, really bad timing. Ross Brawn had a trophy for him and everything. 

The torpedo is at it again, how he is still in the Red Bull team I don't know.

Max is so exciting to watch, he takes no prisoners. Once he's in the fastest car or a Red Bull with more power he could be unbeatable.

Man I wish I had a punchbag in my house, so I could let out frustration that McLaren are wasting Alsono's talent. Honda are absolutely useless, they couldn't power a lightbulb reliably, let alone an engine