Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rally makes sense only in VR.

Hey Guys...
it's... so... omg, i have to come down... it's soo amazing, awesome...whatever u have words for the meaning of "fantastic".
I hesitated very long with buying an Oculus. Cause of the bad resolution of the screens. But here in Germany we had a nice offer with the touch controllers, so catched one bundle.

ATTENTION:
All physics, the friction, the mass of the car, the mass transfer, the reaction according to the ground makes sense now. Everything.

I can't really explain to guys, who haven't driven with VR, yet. The thing is, that ONLY with VR u can "see" track. These small bumps, these up and downs. My driving skill (I am not a bad driver and not the best, too) improved to felt 300% out of the first test drive in VR. In VR u are able to see how ur wheel will move 10 meters ahead. In 2D u have to react to the wheel directly. That means, in VR, u see what is coming, in 2D u don't. And really, believe me, to the guys, who never tried that out, u can't see it. Really. I have driven Rally games for years in 2D. U cant see the track in 2D.

Additionally VR drivers, can drift 1000% safer than 2D drivers. In VR u can feel the missing G-Forces, cause u always see ur absolute movement in the world. If ur car starts oversteer, ur body begins to "strafe" over the ground to the left or right, according to the movement speed ahead (i could explain that with vectors, but I dont know whether the most will understand that). With a VR Device, u can exactly see and feel these small changes in absolute position. In 2D u only can see that by ur wheel and the speed the world is rotating around ur camera view. So u countersteer until the "rotation of the environment" has the speed u need to catch the car.

The friction of all cars in DR gained a new level since VR. It sounds strange (maybe cause of my bad english :) ). But it's true. Cause u see the surface, ur micro adjustments in throttle, steering, and braking gives u better "friction". I can't really explain that. Now the friction in DR feels perfect. And now I know, that u can't discuss friction, if u didn't drive in VR, yet. Now, I know that. If a VR-driver would have said that to me before, I think, I would have reacted like "Sure I can feel the friction in DR and it feels a little bit like a hovercraft". No hovercraft anymore with VR.

In Sweden I do not touch these annoying snow borders anymore. I don't get kicked of at some stages at some hard to drive sections anymore. All feels natural. 

So, guys, before u think of buying a new wheel and selling ur nice T300/500, think about buying a VR to improve driving.

The pixel grid is not too bad at rally driving, cause at rally u dont focus so much to the horizon. U focus more to an area 1-20m in front of u. And the trees and textures help to forget the pixelgrid in the Oculus.

Codies, PLEASE implement VR in D4. For me, there's no reason to play D4 any more. Cause rallying in VR is sooo much more. So much. And I can't even understand the decision not to implement this in D4. I would say, VR for Rally is essential.

What are ur experiences with Rally + VR?

Cheers.

PS.
I had to adjust my codriver to speak earlier. Cause in VR I was too fast for the normal speech :) It feels just like u are god and u have built the road :)

I have been driving in VR for over 14 months now.  This week for the first time i tried DIRT4 on my 55" tv.  It's good fun, but if really feels like i'm playing a game compaired to Dirt Rally.  

In Dirt Rally i'm actually sitting in the car, looking into the corners and it's much easier to keep concentrated. That's the difference between playing on a TV and having the Rally Experience in VR.

I reallly hope that codemasters will implement VR for Dirt 4, but i has been too quiet on that front so i'm not expecting it.  Could it be that the engine can not put out enough frames to get a decent VR experience with the current gen video cards?  

By the end of the week, Dirt 4 will probably be deteled from my hard drive. If it had VR support, i could play Dirt 4 for month in a row without getting bored.  On a single flat screen it get's boring after a couple of stages really soon and i will go back to playing Dirt Rally VR.

Awwwwh, I'm just trying to resist the hype of the Oculus sale since I really want to wait for the next gen before hopping on the VR train. But dayum, I kinda want one now.

Dytut said:
Awwwwh, I'm just trying to resist the hype of the Oculus sale since I really want to wait for the next gen before hopping on the VR train. But dayum, I kinda want one now.
I would suggest to do it.

Look, I wanted to wait for the 2nd gen, too. But, this bundle is selled for a good price.
For the next Gen VR with a higher resolution (I am looking forward to it) u need a really high end pc. With something like a TitanX minimum I think. Don't forget, that u need something like 90fps in 4K (or whatever these 2nd gen VRs will have).
So, until all of this is at a nice price, u can have very much fun, with this gen of VR. And btw all the other games (what I didn't believe before) are really fun and open u a new world of complete different gaming experinces.

Dytut said:
It's totally worth it. The one real negative is the res but you really don't notice it when you're flying down a stage, imo anyway. Plus you can do super sampling to make it look sharper if your computer is powerful enough.

I'm not gonna lie I'm definitely going to be a little disappointed if vr never gets implemented in d4.

This is exactly how I feel about VR too, the immersion is next to none. I have been using VR in DR for almost a year now and I can't ever again drive racing games without it. My stagetimes improved drasticly playing with VR and I can't recommend it enough to everybody to try it out. I bought Dirt 4 and played it for about 10 hours, then I had enough. It's just plain boring to drive without VR headset now that I've gotten used to it. Unless VR is implemented into D4 I will probably not play it anymore.

Scyy said:

It's totally worth it. The one real negative is the res but you really don't notice it when you're flying down a stage, imo anyway. Plus you can do super sampling to make it look sharper if your computer is powerful enough. 

I'm not gonna lie I'm definitely going to be a little disappointed if vr never gets implemented in d4.
Same to me. And the FOV is a little bit like in diving googles, but u get used to it and it simulates kinda racing helmet :)

Yeah that current sale is fantastic value,  here in oz it now costs about $580 delivered for the Rift, 2 x Touch Controllers and 2 x sensors plus there is some free games which are very good.  I paid over $1000 for the same deal but even now think it was worth it for all the fun gaming and sim racing I have had. Waiting for next gen VR could still be couple of years away yet.

Meanwhile  The HMDs are sold officially and for a good price, too.
That's why:
Now the time for DirtRally has come.
Now the time has come to implement VR in D4.

I tried VR but I got motion sick. Probably using it more will cure that. Must admit it was better as a monitor but the price of the set, glasses and a heavy card, is over the top.

Last week I read an article next year a new VR set is coming about a quarter of that price, so let's sit that out.

Hi! Just found out that Richard Burns Rally now supports VR. Haven't tried it yet, but it looks pretty good!

More info here: http://www.kegetys.fi/rbrvr-richard-burns-rally-vr-mod-for-openvr/

Some proper driving with VR here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2sXpoIpmBM

Yes, Rally in VR is a sensation for itself. RBR shows that it is also possible to implement the VR experience in older games. You should also try Doom 3 BFG OpenVR.

There are a lot of good racing games with VR support available like RaceRoom, Project Cars, rfactor2 and Dirt Rally (needs ReVive for SteamVR). So much so worse is the decision from Codemasters not to implement VR in their new games.

PolarClaw said:
Yes, Rally in VR is a sensation for itself. RBR shows that it is also possible to implement the VR experience in older games. You should also try Doom 3 BFG OpenVR.
Doom 3 BFG looks incredibly bad compared to the original release. I have both and would never play Doom 3 BFG again. Won't the thing work in the regular Doom 3? If not, people are missing out on some stunning visuals, quite impressive for being 2004 tech.

Hell (haha), I'd consider trying it out if I could use it in Doom 3.

I've said it few times: DiRT Rally makes quite a lot more sense in VR when you actually see how the track is modeled. It looks like all the bumps just got 5x bigger, corners tighter and small crests looks like mountains. Icing on the cake is that using DR's immersion braking over the limit physics becomes so uncomfortable that you can't drive like that anymore. 

I tried to drive in 2D again.
I got motion sickness. Really. Seems my brain misses something. Never again. I can't.

stooooooooooooooop it I cant afford VR :D
In theory i could buy an used Oculus DK2, but i dunno if thats enough for games like DR