F1 2021 | Arrives July 16 | First Look Here Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Oval Races - Downforce vs Long Gears

Hi guys,

I finally unlocked some upgrades/tunning for my Focus Touring Car and put it to test online on some Oval Tracks.

I was aiming for an edge on the straights so I put little downforce and stretched my gears. I was  about 2 seconds faster than anyone else per lap but I was losing too much speed and traction on the corners and my top speed wasn't as high as I expected. The only visible difference in the gears were that I would be on 5th most of the time instead of 6th.

I've only tested with the Focus for now as I can't afford anything else more expensive but what do you guys usually go for on Oval races? Downforce or Longer Gears?

Thanks

~revesburger

I always run no downforce on anything. Downforce makes little difference if any at all. As for Ovals and gears, depends on the track. Indy you can get away with +50 or 60 and Autosport? the 3 turn Oval, +100

As for gears, there's always try & error. If you drive on your own, try to get into or at least close to the reds and adjust the ratio accordingly. Just keep in mind, that when driving with others and slipstreaming, your top speed will be way higher. Being in the 5th when you have 6 gears makes no sense, as your acceleration will only be worse with no benefit.
So best way to try that is do custom cup and training on the track, set up your car and don't forget to set the AI to a level that fits you. that way you can practice slipstreaming with them and will see the effect.

I don't know if is just in my head or what but -50 downforce feels like I can take fast corners, not just on ovals, at least 5~10km/h faster than before