Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2017 Hungarian Grand Prix

Well I'll make sure we are on the motorway then for extra lolz  :D

He's one of the drivers that F1 lost early, he came in at a late age, but is very quick. I'd love for him to get a full drive at Williams next season.

Probably not, I'm not saying he's world championship material, but he's better than quite a few current drivers and we didn't really see him at his best.

Hughesy said:
Ferrari really are out of this championship fight aren't they, very doom and gloom....

https://twitter.com/skysportsf1/status/891282706851430400
*sigh* So maybe I should clarify this since this may become a running theme every time Ferrari top a session.

We know by now Ferrari are great at tight and twisty tracks with slow corners, and that's been shown by the fact this is the first time they've had the best car since Monaco. But one pole doesn't mean the title fight as a whole is suddenly so much better off. Singapore is the only other track like this again this season. Meanwhile Mercedes' have stomping grounds like Spa, Monza, Suzuka and Mexico yet to come. Also, more than likely, Malaysia and Brazil. Doesn't sound like great odds for a 50-50 title fight. 

But anyway that aside, as far as today goes, great job from the Scuderia. 

Precisely. The gap wasn't really big enough to Mercedes to convince me that Ferrari genuinely can beat Mercedes from here.

Vettel has to win tomorrow and Singapore to have even a hope. Beyond that we need Merc to have reliability issues. A 26 point gap for example would be a great way to setup the second leg of the season ;)

fIsince08 said:
Is it just me that thinks Di Resta is overrated? He was atrocious at the end of 2013.
Tbh, I can't remember him being atrocious. Always saw him as Sutil-level, maybe a little bit above Sutil-level, which at the time is a solid midfield-driver.

Nowadays, the level of drivers has risen. Almost every team has a driver who has been on a podium.  So today, I'd put Di Resta above Ericsson. That's it. And maybe Stroll.

At the time though, he was decent. But Force India then were able to sign Perez and Hulkenberg and I don't think anyone blames them for dropping Sutil and Di Resta for those two.

It's weird how things turn out in motorsport. Di Resta beat Vettel in 2006 to the F3 title, then went to DTM and never scored a podium in F1. Whereas Vettel went onto F1 that very next year and the rest is history.

Sometimes it just works out and sometimes you get unlucky in this business. That's part of what I love about motorsport, it's more than just being the best. You need to get yourself in the right place at the right time to get to the top. I wonder just how many drivers there have been in the past who have never won races or championships, just because they didn't quite get their timing right.

Nico Hülkenberg is a nice example of that. Grabbed a pole in a Williams as a rookie, then got replaced for it by Maldonado. Joined Force India, which was nice, then joined Sauber because it gave Perez the move to McLaren, but that was the year Sauber became completely shit. Moved back to Force India, no positions avaliable at top-teams, so he moves to Renault that becomes a factory team, hoping that it'll pay off long-term. And then Rosberg retires and a spot opens at Mercedes out of all teams and they wanted him, but he had already signed for Renault.

And he still has zero podiums. And that is a guy who was once branded as the next Schumacher.

Exactly, just incredibly unfortunate timing. I'm pleased to see him doing so well in the Renault, it does genuinely seem like they're challenging for the best of the rest now, and I'm sure he won't be far off a podium soon. Fingers crossed they can keep developing and give him a competitive car in a year or two, he deserves big success in F1.

Not a great start for Hamilton, why is he so moody and negative before the race even started.

That's not going to make Max look good in the team......

How Palmer managed to get passed by both Force India is typical and Sainz had a monster start.

Vettel' steering is wonky, he's still lapping at a good pace which is amazing. When my T500rs wheel was 1 degrees out of alignment, I couldn't drive so I had to reset it.

Did you see Buemi's wheel in his first car last night? The fact that he was so far off center and still managed to get up the order so far was awesome.

Anyway, if Vettel struggles with this, could be a Raikkonen win?

I did see that, but FE cars are a lot slower, still impressive though.

Ferrari won't let Kimi win unless they have to. Unlike Mercedes, Ferrari have a clear number 1 driver.

If Vettel's steering gets worse, he's going to lose points on a track where Ferrari clearly has the best car, that's going to be hard to take for them.

Hughesy said:
I did see that, but FE cars are a lot slower, still impressive though.

Ferrari won't let Kimi win unless they have to. Unlike Mercedes, Ferrari have a clear number 1 driver.
Aaand they just told Bottas to let Lewis past.

"Hamilton will give you the position back if he doesn't get past Raikkonen."

Yeah, I seriously doubt that.

If they all hold eachother up, Verstappen might actually be in a shout to do better than 5th.

Imagine being Force India and you know your cars are slower than McLaren, Renault and Toro Rosso today, yet you got both cars in the top-10 because nobody knows how to do a pitstop and two teams are forced to use Palmer and Kvyat as their drivers.

Dream scenario, Ferrari take each other out, wishful thinking I know.

Dream scenario: top 5 take each other out, Alonso wins.