Sign in to follow this  

F1 2014: #1 Career Mode / Grand Prix Mode

F1 2014: #1 Career Mode and Grand Prix Mode

Career Mode

Starting with the most key part of the game, the career mode. Many of the people who buy Codemasters games, tend to play Career Mode first which is why I think this part of the game should be the most enduring and challenging for drivers. Starting with some of the key points:
  • More than 10 seasons for an enduring and entertaining career mode.
  • A live driver market, where drivers are offered contracts at different teams per season.
  • A stronger and more determined AI, later braking, defending the inside, holding it down the inside, giving you a squeeze down the inside, e.t.c.
  • FP1, FP2 and Practice 3 on Saturdays.
  • A more realistic air temperature and track temp, (e.g. Colder at FP1, due to the earlier time and warmer for FP2, Qualifying and the Race) which actually impacts track grip, and track evolution.
  • More track evolution, e.g. going out on track first resulting in less grip, until the track rubbers in, in which case gets faster.
  • A wide selection of R&D with videos explaining what it adds to the car, and development which could be seen on track.
  • Formation Lap System, something similar to the safety car system where it disables you to overtake another car. (Burnouts slightly easier as you go to park car on grid).
  • Safety car allows lapped cars ahead of you to go.
  • Live weather, (Temp fixed to what it normally is and any snow would result in rain). Mode can be turned on and off.
  • Safety car to come out a bit more often.
  • More damage, e.g. taps on the wall, can result in a tyre falling off.
  • Be able to do a pit stop in practice and qualifying if you have enough fuel to do another hot lap.
Manage a team

Manage a team, in co-operating in depth finances, choosing a team-mate, for each point you get, you earn $50,000, spend it on any developments you'd like and set how fast you want them, and the quality of them and much more! I think this would be a twist to the game, make the game more fun and long-lasting and much harder to get platinum!

Grand Prix Mode

Not many changes needed here but perhaps:
  • 3 and 5 lap races, 25%, 50% and 100% races.
  • All of the things in-cooperated in the list above.
These are the things I hope to see in F1 2014, for career mode and the GP Mode. I'll release another post on the Multiplayer sometime soon! If you think anything needs to be added, please tell me in the comments and I'll add it in. :)

Thanks,
xSilverArrow

Career Mode

Starting with the most key part of the game, the career mode. Many of the people who buy Codemasters games, tend to play Career Mode first which is why I think this part of the game should be the most enduring and challenging for drivers. Starting with some of the key points:
  • A live driver market, where drivers are offered contracts at different teams per season.
  • A stronger and more determined AI, later braking, defending the inside, holding it down the inside, giving you a squeeze down the inside, e.t.c.
  • A more realistic air temperature and track temp, (e.g. Colder at FP1, due to the earlier time and warmer for FP2, Qualifying and the Race) which actually impacts track grip, and track evolution.
  • More track evolution, e.g. going out on track first resulting in less grip, until the track rubbers in, in which case gets faster.
  • A wide selection of R&D with videos explaining what it adds to the car, and development which could be seen on track.
  • Formation Lap System, something similar to the safety car system where it disables you to overtake another car. (Burnouts slightly easier as you go to park car on grid).
  • Live weather, (Temp fixed to what it normally is and any snow would result in rain). Mode can be turned on and off.
  • Be able to do a pit stop in practice and qualifying if you have enough fuel to do another hot lap.
Manage a team

Manage a team, in co-operating in depth finances, choosing a team-mate, for each point you get, you earn $50,000, spend it on any developments you'd like and set how fast you want them, and the quality of them and much more! I think this would be a twist to the game, make the game more fun and long-lasting and much harder to get platinum!

Grand Prix Mode

These are the things I hope to see in F1 2014, for career mode and the GP Mode. I'll release another post on the Multiplayer sometime soon! If you think anything needs to be added, please tell me in the comments and I'll add it in. :)

Thanks,
xSilverArrow
all of this would make for a truly awesome game. with career mode codemasters should also revert to the f1 2010 career mode where you actually live the life with a pr assistant and talks with the media, show the podium celebrations and bring back post race press conferences if your on the podium.

I think its good to have ideas but you need to be reaslistic.

No way are drivers changing teams. The driver is part of the teams branding and enormous money and effort is put into that. A Ferrari driver is not going to be allowed to drive a McLaren. This is also a racing game, one that is forced out yearly and one that has a lot on its plate with that, so I think we can forget the management aspect being part of this game. I think a management game would have to be separate and made by another separate team.

We also need to respect that adding FP1 & 2 does nearly nothing for the game at least until a way is found to add value. Putting it in takes value away as those sessions still need to tested taking up time. In a game it is not necessary as you can practice whenever you like. Yea ideally you would have it in, but the end goal is the best product possible and compromises have to be made.

Just as with the ai, which is a hugely important part of the game. The team has worked hard on this as shown by the constant improvements. But this is not easy mainly because the engine was not designed for an F1 game and although big strides have been made this is not an easy quick fix. But the team definetly understands the importance of having an ai that is good to race against. The team will definetly be working hard to improve the ai again this year, which I should say whilst far from perfect is competent, but getting a completely realistic ai is probably going to be a step too far. I will be disappointed though if there is not another good step up from them this year.

I absolutely do agree the career needs an overhaul. Throwing more seasons at it won't help. The career is just not all that interesting although it really should be the centrepiece. It's all become repetitive, it's too drawn out and not appealing. I actually think part of the problem is how many races there are. 20 a season is a lot and the last few really become a drag when you're really after the end result and looking for a better car for next season.

The career mode has huge potential and should be the go to part of the game but something is not right with it as it is.

To be honest, although I agree with the previous comments, I would love to see an 'information archive' kinda thing like the old studio Liverpool F1 games on the PS2/3. I had things like lap records and the previous year' winners for each grand prix, as well as archiving the results for each grand prix you raced in. I don't imagine its that hard to implement and could give the career mode a more connected feel

Thanks to everybody who contributed to this! :)

Magic01, these ideas were created to inspire Codemasters to aspects of the game which need to be added, and with more space on Next Gen Consoles, I created this with the mindset that Codemasters can implement some of the ideas with extra space to add that extra feel.

doyley101, that's an excellent idea about having the results of past season's race, pole position time, and race information for you to maybe use as a reference and a guide as to when you pitted last time, and make any changes accordingly.

mjchaney96, I also agree that F1 2010 had some of the best ideas for career mode, through out all of Codemasters games. :)

Career Mode

Manage a team

Grand Prix Mode

Thanks,
xSilverArrow
i like your ideas although your manage a team wish might not happen depending on if you want an option to start a new team or be a team principle of a current team. if you want the option to start a new team it wouldn't be possible because the licensing restricts them from doing so although if you wanted an option to be so you could manage a current team it would be possible as licensing cant stop that from happening.

But overall i like how your thinking it what should be added to the game especially the track temp affecting the circuit. i also felt they should add a wind as in the game wind doesn't effect the cars whereas in real life at circuits like Bahrain wind plays a massive part in qualifying as you can get understeer or oversteer depending on wind direction and corner type(left or right).

Magic01, these ideas were created to inspire Codemasters to aspects of the game which need to be added, and with more space on Next Gen Consoles, I created this with the mindset that Codemasters can implement some of the ideas with extra space to add that extra feel.
mjchaney96, I also agree that F1 2010 had some of the best ideas for career mode, through out all of Codemasters games. :)

Yeah I understand that. But you still have to respect that some things are impossible or don't add a lot to the game. Things like a live driver market would be awesome and dare I say it would probably already be in but there is no way F1 is going to let it happen. But other features as long as they add to the game though are probably good candidates, things like a liver track all have potential. To be honest it's things like a live track which makes qualifying as entertaining as it is as the drivers always improve making it important to be on track at the end.

And I also agree that 2010 actually had a lot going for it. A big reason it failed was because the games fundamentals were very poor. But now that a solid base is in play new features can and should be looked at (whilst still refining fundamentals of course). To be fair a lot of 2010 is still there just presented in a different way, but the ideas were not expanded on and developed. But if you are going to do it you have to really do it properly because things like press conferences can seem great until put into practice otherwise. It's the sort of thing that you really have to put a big effort into to really get your vision across. I definetly think the potential is there though and you wouldn't want to completely judge that stuff from the 2010 game.

A live driver market would do the game a lot of good in my opinion. I can never complete a career mode because I will eventually get bored because nothing ever changes. It does in FIFA so why not F1. We also need rookie drivers and defiantley some calendar changes. Some tracks might be dropped in favour of a new or returning track

Ok. FP1&2 should be added with a combination of R&D and timed sector runs trying to find the right setup. Imagine something similar to the timed R&D runs we have in F1 2013 but cut into sectors with a set time we need to aim for. So learning a track like in GT5 Merc Academy Nurburgring style. That would add something to FP 1&2 AND be fun AND make improving the car more important.

Thanks again to everyone's comments. Here's the updated list:

• Information Archive, showing winner, pole position time, and the race strategy from previous seasons.
  • Wind, sometimes affecting the car in sessions, giving understeer and oversteer.
  • Having a PR like F1 2010 Career Mode.
  • Timed sector runs in practice, with R&D.
  • Long run data in practice. (E.g. data mode on monitor on screen, which gives you info on times per sector and per lap).
  • More accurate fuel, using litres rather than laps of fuel.

and22rew said:
A live driver market would do the game a lot of good in my opinion. I can never complete a career mode because I will eventually get bored because nothing ever changes. It does in FIFA so why not F1. We also need rookie drivers and defiantley some calendar changes. Some tracks might be dropped in favour of a new or returning track
I would be 99% certain that it is a licencing issue with the FIA rather than CM not wanting to add it to the game. You also have to remember the Fifa is dealing with literally tens of thousands of players and each transfer window (6 months) hundreads/thousands of players are transferred between teams which simply does not happen in F1 and the small number of changes are accounted for in the next game (or with player made mods if you play on PC).

Everything listed for career mode seems good and should be possible to add (except live driver market as mentioned above) but FP1 & FP2 is a must.

On a side note, it would be nice if they added pit stops for the classic content.