Sign in to follow this  

Authentic grid? Mercedes miles ahead?

Question to CM:
Now that immersion has taken a further hit by having generic steering wheels on half the cars, I started wondering about the pecking order.
Is Mercedes actually a full second ahead of the rest of the pack in F1 2014? Because I expect you to tone them down to a tenth or two advantage all in the name of fun and balance. Perhaps with the excuse you took the results and pecking order of the first qualifying, while it was wet and not reflective of the true pecking order this season.  

I noticed that in the first trailer there are 2 shots of a Merc driving in the middle of the pack at the start of a race (Spa & Hungary) which makes me suspicious. 

My opinion: You should not come up with your own grid and your own rules. Us fans want an F1 game, not a Codemasters game which happens to have the current F1 cars and tracks in them.
Like I said, not all steering wheels are accurate, no 3 practice sessions, no warm up lap, no live the life lap so immersion is already at a low point in my eyes. Even though this post doesnt show it, I do love your F1 games (F1 2013 is the best so far).

I don't expect Mercedes to have an advantage at all in F1 2014, and if they do it will be tiny. Red Bull weren't even the quickest car in F1 2011 let alone had anything like the advantage they did in real life. I expect Mercedes and Williams to have more or less the same speed, with Red Bull maybe a little down on top speed but that's it. Codies work their F1 teams in tiers every year with the teams in each tier having the same performance as each other.

This year I reckon it will be
Tier 1 - Mercedes/Williams/Red Bull
Tier 2 - Ferrari/Force India/McLaren
Tier 3 - Toro Rosso/Lotus
Tier 4 - Marussia/Sabuer/Caterham

APR193 said:
I don't expect Mercedes to have an advantage at all in F1 2014, and if they do it will be tiny. Red Bull weren't even the quickest car in F1 2011 let alone had anything like the advantage they did in real life. I expect Mercedes and Williams to have more or less the same speed, with Red Bull maybe a little down on top speed but that's it. Codies work their F1 teams in tiers every year with the teams in each tier having the same performance as each other.

I was thinking the same thing. But they could easily put Mercedes in their own tier as they have such an obvious advantage. In 2011 Vettel was dominant, Webber was not so thats why I thought CM didnt make the RBR dominant in their game. This year its obvious: Both Hamilton and Rosberg dominate the field by a full second.

APR193 said:

I was thinking the same thing. But they could easily put Mercedes in their own tier as they have such an obvious advantage. In 2011 Vettel was dominant, Webber was not so thats why I thought CM didnt make the RBR dominant in their game. This year its obvious: Both Hamilton and Rosberg dominate the field by a full second.
Yeah but even then Red Bull won the constructors by over 150 points. How they weren't the fastest car in the game was frankly laughable. Wouldn't be surprised if its not just the Mercedes up the front in the game. Codies like to make half the field capable of winning to make it more interesting for the kiddies.

Question to CM:
Now that immersion has taken a further hit by having generic steering wheels on half the cars, I started wondering about the pecking order.
Is Mercedes actually a full second ahead of the rest of the pack in F1 2014? Because I expect you to tone them down to a tenth or two advantage all in the name of fun and balance. Perhaps with the excuse you took the results and pecking order of the first qualifying, while it was wet and not reflective of the true pecking order this season.  

I noticed that in the first trailer there are 2 shots of a Merc driving in the middle of the pack at the start of a race (Spa & Hungary) which makes me suspicious. 

My opinion: You should not come up with your own grid and your own rules. Us fans want an F1 game, not a Codemasters game which happens to have the current F1 cars and tracks in them.
Like I said, not all steering wheels are accurate, no 3 practice sessions, no warm up lap, no live the life lap so immersion is already at a low point in my eyes. Even though this post doesnt show it, I do love your F1 games (F1 2013 is the best so far).

CM will be on the fifth iteration of their F1 series this year and yet Sony's 2006  F1 Championship Edition still puts them to shame in terms of sheer detail and content. When they suggested they were going for a FIFA style annual release I didn't realise they meant only the same style roster updates that FIFA do. Because that's all it's become: Update the models to reflect new season, update driver line up to reflect new season, add a couple of new things, take a host of things out! Not good enough Codemasters!

Question to CM:

Unfortunately, all you'll be getting is a CM racing game loosely based on F1. Nothing major, immersive or really representative. Just a half arsed take your money and run effort!

I wouldn't take a trailer too seriously in terms of how the pecking order will pan out. I seem to remember seeing HRT's racing the midfield cars in some of the older trailers.
That being said, could it perhaps hint that career mode is going to see different pecking orders season to season?
It would be disappointing if they don't get it right this year. They did it brilliantly in 2012 but in 2013 the gaps between teams and tiers were far too big. If they stick with the tier system I'd personally like to see a big overhaul with it.
Maybe something like:
(Round 1)
1: Mercedes 0.000
2: Red Bull +1.000
3: Williams +1.100
4: Ferrari +1.200
5: Mclaren +1.300
6: Findia +1.400
7: STR +1.500
8: Lotus +1.800
9: Sauber +2.100
10: Marussia +3.000
11: Caterham +3.200
Then the R&D could affect each team throughout the year. Eg. The second race, Ferrari get an upgrade which grants them 0.300 and Mercedes get one that gives them another 0.100 so the next weekend would look like:
1. Mercedes 0.000
2. Ferrari 1.000
3. Red Bull 1.100
4. Williams 1.200  etc.

More an idea for next gen as it's most likely unfeasible for old gen but I'd personally like to see a tier/R&D system like that. It would make the career feel more authentic.

This will be a test of trust for Codemasters. If Mercs are 1.5+ sec faster, they will have regained some of our trust, there will be hope for more authenticity going forward.

If half the grid are capable of podiums, Codemasters will have proven once and for all that they dont care about the sport and its fans.

Ill be watching youtube once its released and if I see any other team winning on raw pace or Mercs being legitimately outqualified ill be outraged.

This is your opportunity to win back some trust Codemasters, use it wisely.

There is no reply for a CM member on this which basically means the team speeds will be mixed as normal I assume

Rayg1979 said:
There is no reply for a CM member on this which basically means the team speeds will be mixed as normal I assume
Pretty much confirms it indeed. Any question which requires "Yes, its in! :)" gets answered within a few hours.
They stopped replying on questions that need answers like "Sorry we cant due to limitations", "Sorry thats not what we want to do", "Sorry, licensing" and more blah blah blaaaaaaaaaaaa.

Atleast now I know I can stop caring about F1 2014 completely.

Personally i dont think its bad that Mercedes will not be winning every race in the game.As long as we dont see some totally unrealistic results like a win  for Marussia or a podium for Caterham its fine to see a win here and there for Ferrari,RBR,Williams.

macebig said:
Personally i dont think its bad that Mercedes will not be winning every race in the game.As long as we dont see some totally unrealistic results like a win  for Marussia or a podium for Caterham its fine to see a win here and there for Ferrari,RBR,Williams.

Ferrari shouldnt be winning period. 2 podiums so far and never looked a threat all season. Williams and RBR should only realistically have a chance if Mercedes suffer reliability setbacks or if their 2 drivers collide with one another.

The game is F1 2014, and frankly Codemasters really dont have the right to tamper with history (not that its likely to stop them)

I'm going to boot up the build now and test this. Will post results later! :)

I've just ran a 100% 50% race on Australia with Legend A.I. I retired early and the gap between the top three were...

Hamilton: 45:54.099
Rosberg: +10.826
Ricciardo: +11.083

This is obviously just one race. As you know, there are plenty of variables that contribute to these figures so each race could be different. 

hmmm 11 seconds would be good to riciardo but bit concerning rosberg being that far back :S Hatta are the cars stronger on different tracks? like redbull wernt as strong at monza? and is there actually a speed difference in the car? like will the merc powered cars be passing reno powered cars like theyre standing still?