Jump to content Jump to content

Is a steering wheel worth the money?

pe7rolh3ad

Yes it is , it improves game experience a lot. Example: You may dislike certain tracks, for me I hate China because of Turn 1 and me using an Xbox One remote, with a wheel it makes it a lot easier to control the car round that corner for example. I am getting the Thrustmaster TMX wheel hopefully within a month of  F1 2017 being released just to get that full F1 feel.

I play with a wheel (G29) so i'm not sure about the traction control question but a wheel is definitely a better way to play any racing game. The problem is you really need a dedicated spot to place the wheel! Bolting it to a desk works fine but if you need to do any other work on the desk you will need to constantly be removing it. The other consideration is the price, a decent wheel will set you back some cash and since I started using a wheel (8 years ago) I have gone through 3 wheels! The other option is a sim rig but this also is expensive and you will need space to put it, so a wheel is a slippery slope but you can't beat the immersion factor.   

I have had a Logitech G29 wheel for a while now but just recently decided to go for a Thustmaster T300 (servo unit only) along with the Thrustmaster TM28 leather wheel, and a wheel stand Pro and what a difference from the G29 to the T300.  If your going to race YES get a wheel you want regret it one bit, and your racing will improve 100% 

I got a Thrustmaster TX 458 Italia about a year ago. After doing alot of research on the TX and Logitech I found that the consensus was its a better wheel base system than the logitech although the logitech has better stock pedals. The ones that come with the TX arnt great.
I got the T3PA add on pedals which are much better.

Just got the F1 Thrustmaster add on today...Its fantastic! I was a bit worried as alot of people said it feels cheap and light. Maybe those guys are used to the more expensive Fanatec wheels (which I hope for those prices are extremely well made!) but It feels quite hefty to me, with some weight to it and feels alot better than the stock 458 wheel.

Im not sure if they changed the design at some point as the fake dials look slightly different to all the pictures ive seen online and it definately feels well made to me. Played a few hours of Forza 6 in the Lotus E23 and it handles so good and I was smashing my lap times.  Its also good with Project cars although the force feedback on that game is definately way too powerful and behaves very strangely at times. Extremely happy with my purchase! Cant wait for the 25th

rabbitbAJ said:
Yes it is , it improves game experience a lot. Example: You may dislike certain tracks, for me I hate China because of Turn 1 and me using an Xbox One remote, with a wheel it makes it a lot easier to control the car round that corner for example. I am getting the Thrustmaster TMX wheel hopefully within a month of  F1 2017 being released just to get that full F1 feel.

One thing is don't get the tmx. I got that and I regret the purchase. I've played on my friends g29 and it's soo much more enjoyable. You can pick up a 2nd hand g29 for about the same price, and just a month ago brand new off amazon so keep an eye out for that.
Note: He did already have the ffb perfectly customized when I tried it aswell 

I preferred pad for no traction control and no abs. It was far easier to control throttle and brake input. However, for me, steering with a pad is a nightmare. I'm constantly making little corrections and am either not turned enough or full lock.
Wheel is far more fun and my inputs are much more smoother. Bigger room of motion for pedals means it's far easier to spin the rear out and lock up the wheels. 
It is really satisfying nailing a sub 1:21 around Spain (or any other technical track) on a wheel 

Archived