Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

2014 traction levels

Recommended Posts

Those of you following this years f1 season should know what I'm on about. Traction levels for this years cars have been quite poor. You constantly see drivers fighting for control coming out of corners. Partly due to reduced rear down force this year and partly due to high levels of torque, not to mention ERS drag on the rear brakes.

For CM's sake I really hope they implement an "easy" mode this year with increased traction and reduced fuel consumption. To take realistic levels of each away from us all would be robbing a lot of people of the kind of challenge and simulation they want but to make every one deal with that level of difficulty will leave a lot of people crying. 

Thoughts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can safely say traction control will be in the game. It's currently in there and I doubt they will remove it. Ultimately the codemasters games have tried to hit the main themes of F1 and make it accessible to all so a balance will be found.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I agree with you. Some people might be new to the games so it would be unfair if they get F1 2014, just to hate the game because they can't control the car. However you can't make the game to easy as the experienced f1 gamers or hardcore F1 fans would get bored and would want to drive with realistic traction

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Traction control will certainly help with the increased torque but wont do anything to help with the decreased down force. That combined with fuel and tire wear is why I'd recommend some sort of easy mode.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dont mean to troll here but seriously i couldnt resist

R4pp3r's guide to stop sliding around corners (for dummies)

1:Take foot off accelerator
2:Brake before corner
3:GENTLY! apply accelerator 
4:STOP TRYING TO GO SO FAST AROUND A CORNER!

Simple enough I thought but if not:


R4pp3r's advanced guide to stop sliding around corners 

1:take your foot off throttle before getting to the corner
2:apply something called brakes before getting to corner in a STRAIGHT line
3:reduce brake pressure as you approach corner
4:be completely off the brakes by the time you hit your apex
5:gently apply accelerator in as much of a straight line as possible to reduce wheel spin

If that doesnt help then theres something seriously wrong haha again not being a troll but seriously I don't get how people have problems sliding with low down force, stop trying to go so fast around the corner and its problem solved but thats just my opinion low grip and a lot of torque is a fun challenge to me lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Traction control is great for those that need it, let's hope they include it...

BUT

It's not at ALL what F1 is about. Thankfully it's not a part of modern F1 (anymore) and to my mind it needs to be an exception rather than the rule.

I definitely don't want traction control to make me faster, if I'm driving the car 100%, then I should be faster with it off than on. If that's not the case then the implementation is BROKEN.

Same goes for leaderboards, multiplayer etc. I'd like to see those with TC be able to play with those who can/chose to drive without it - but if you make it too powerful then everyone will use it - especially online - and instead of seeing V6 Turbo F1 cars sliding their backends around we'll see a procession that looks more like the mid 00s than 2014.

/rant

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
"If I'm driving the car 100%, then I should be faster with it off than on. If that's not the case then the implementation is BROKEN."

No offense Jesse but I would have to disagree, I think whether you use it or not shouldn't make a difference i mean in real life it's going to make you faster as williams proved when they installed it so in all reality in fact have it on SHOULD make you faster as a computer is more accurate then a human and far more reliable, as for in a a game i don't think it's fair that someone should be punished by being slower just because they dont have the right equipment or dont have the same dedication to the game that everyone else does.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JesseDeya said:
Traction control is great for those that need it, let's hope they include it...

BUT

It's not at ALL what F1 is about. Thankfully it's not a part of modern F1 (anymore) and to my mind it needs to be an exception rather than the rule.

I definitely don't want traction control to make me faster, if I'm driving the car 100%, then I should be faster with it off than on. If that's not the case then the implementation is BROKEN.

Same goes for leaderboards, multiplayer etc. I'd like to see those with TC be able to play with those who can/chose to drive without it - but if you make it too powerful then everyone will use it - especially online - and instead of seeing V6 Turbo F1 cars sliding their backends around we'll see a procession that looks more like the mid 00s than 2014.

/rant
Leader boards should definetly indicate aids. In forza for example, clean laps are always ranked above dirty laps, do the same with major aids. IE tcs and abs. A time of 1:42 without aids should be ranked higher than a 1:40 with aids. Also be sure to include options to force aids in online lobbies and allow people to search for online matches based on aid availability.

R4pp3r said:
Dont mean to troll here but seriously i couldnt resist

R4pp3r's guide to stop sliding around corners (for dummies)

1:Take foot off accelerator
2:Brake before corner
3:GENTLY! apply accelerator 
4:STOP TRYING TO GO SO FAST AROUND A CORNER!

Simple enough I thought but if not:


R4pp3r's advanced guide to stop sliding around corners 

1:take your foot off throttle before getting to the corner
2:apply something called brakes before getting to corner in a STRAIGHT line
3:reduce brake pressure as you approach corner
4:be completely off the brakes by the time you hit your apex
5:gently apply accelerator in as much of a straight line as possible to reduce wheel spin

If that doesnt help then theres something seriously wrong haha again not being a troll but seriously I don't get how people have problems sliding with low down force, stop trying to go so fast around the corner and its problem solved but thats just my opinion low grip and a lot of torque is a fun challenge to me.
Tell that to all the real drivers busting their butts to keep the rear end in check. If you think its just that simple you havent driven a TCSless car with any real power. Not that those tips aren't accurate, but its one thing to say it and another to do it. You might as well describe to someone how to hit a 90mph fastball and conclude with "see, its just that easy." In case you forgot, going as fast as possible around corners is kinda the point. If your not pushing the cars limits youre losing and if your pushing the limits mistakes are going to happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tell that to all the real drivers busting their butts to keep the rear end in check. If you think its just that simple you havent driven a TCSless car with any real power. Not that those tips aren't accurate, but its one thing to say it and another to do it. You might as well describe to someone how to hit a 90mph fastball and conclude with "see, its just that easy." In case you forgot, going as fast as possible around corners is kinda the point. If your not pushing the cars limits youre losing and if your pushing the limits mistakes are going to happen.
Oh of course you its not that simple in real life but in the game it kinda is lol as for pushing the car theres pushing a car to its limits and driving the car to its limits of more then often ur own limits, the car will always be able to go faster its usual the driver, but if ur sliding the car around then ur going over that limit so yeah push the car but theres limits for a reason so sometimes going slower is faster as odd as that may sound due to where u lost speed in one area you can make it up in another area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I'm pretty sure they won't go for the simulation approach. That method failed for them and thats part of the reason why F1 2013 had the least amount sales compared to the previous F1 games in the series.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
R4pp3r said:
"If I'm driving the car 100%, then I should be faster with it off than on. If that's not the case then the implementation is BROKEN."

No offense Jesse but I would have to disagree, I think whether you use it or not shouldn't make a difference i mean in real life it's going to make you faster as williams proved when they installed it so in all reality in fact have it on SHOULD make you faster as a computer is more accurate then a human and far more reliable, as for in a a game i don't think it's fair that someone should be punished by being slower just because they dont have the right equipment or dont have the same dedication to the game that everyone else does.
No offence taken :)

It's a fine line, I agree it's a little 'unfair' to penalise someone because they aren't as good with TC off - but but making them as fast (or faster) you're effectively penalising people who are racing using settings that reflect the regulations of the Formula 1 year in question.

If this were F1 2002, I would argue that TC should be allowed to be on and absolutely faster than with it off. That would reflect the regulations of that year. What concerns me is that F1 in 2014 (real life) is pretty awesome largely due to the demands put on the driver to keep these monstrous turbo machines pointed the right way on the black stuff.

When I buy F1 2014, I want that same feeling. Just as importantly, I don't particularly want my efforts to master (or attempt to master) these machines completely overshadowed by someone who can just turn all the aids on and be as fast or faster than me with no downside.

The idea of making sure unaided laps are ranked higher that those with aids is a good one (for instance). So long as the multiplayer allows me to easily start and join games that restrict settings to current regulations I'll be happy.

To put this in context however, it is a game, and games are about skill. The best should be rewarded (not saying I am!) You don't see people in first person shooters multiplayer saying they should have an aimbot because they don't have time to get as good as the other players. You don't see people in MMORPGs saying they should get a level 60 character when they first join because they don't have time to learn the game. 

Single player sure, knock your socks off. Turning the aids on is like putting Call of Duty on easy and beating the campaign. But join multiplayer and you can expect things to get tough. I get that Codemasters want to encourage people to play together, and I get that perhaps it'll be a requirement to allow aided drivers to compete with unaided, but they need to balance that so that a skilled driver can't just opt to turn the aids on and suddenly go faster than someone he couldn't beat without aids. That waters the experience down by becoming the defacto standard.

tldr; it's not about being fair, it's about replicating the 2014 season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
daemun said:
Those of you following this years f1 season should know what I'm on about. Traction levels for this years cars have been quite poor. You constantly see drivers fighting for control coming out of corners. Partly due to reduced rear down force this year and partly due to high levels of torque, not to mention ERS drag on the rear brakes.

For CM's sake I really hope they implement an "easy" mode this year with increased traction and reduced fuel consumption. To take realistic levels of each away from us all would be robbing a lot of people of the kind of challenge and simulation they want but to make every one deal with that level of difficulty will leave a lot of people crying. 

Thoughts?
I agree daemun as I'm worried we msay end up with another F1 2013 igf they don't as I remember the forums after that game released a lot of people were unhappy with it and I admit I was one of them. I don't blame CM foer putting that kind of stuff in as people were asking for it and they were trying to make the cars match what was going on in the season. However somewhere along the line they did screw up a bit on the lower levels because the pace of the assists should have been matching the bottom level which in 2013's case is Amateur so my hope is that they can reconfigure the assiat to match that level or alternatively create a beginner level about 2 secs slower than Amateur to bring it all back in line given I believe there was 2 sec jump between each level and the 2 secs difference slower than Amateur would have been moer or less I think where the old amateur level from 2012 and earlier games were

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I'm pretty sure they won't go for the simulation approach. That method failed for them and thats part of the reason why F1 2013 had the least amount sales compared to the previous F1 games in the series.
It's sales weren't helped by the fact that physical copies were like unicorns in the US.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
R4pp3r said:
Dont mean to troll here but seriously i couldnt resist

R4pp3r's guide to stop sliding around corners (for dummies)

1:Take foot off accelerator
2:Brake before corner
3:GENTLY! apply accelerator 
4:STOP TRYING TO GO SO FAST AROUND A CORNER!

Simple enough I thought but if not:


R4pp3r's advanced guide to stop sliding around corners 

1:take your foot off throttle before getting to the corner
2:apply something called brakes before getting to corner in a STRAIGHT line
3:reduce brake pressure as you approach corner
4:be completely off the brakes by the time you hit your apex
5:gently apply accelerator in as much of a straight line as possible to reduce wheel spin

If that doesnt help then theres something seriously wrong haha again not being a troll but seriously I don't get how people have problems sliding with low down force, stop trying to go so fast around the corner and its problem solved but thats just my opinion low grip and a lot of torque is a fun challenge to me lol
seriously that's the best post I've had the pleasure of reading since returning to the forums

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Of course less traction should be a feature of the next F1, but CM need to be careful with this as our plastic pedals and triggers don't give you any feedback when you lose traction. Making it too realistic might also also make it unplayable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Of course less traction should be a feature of the next F1, but CM need to be careful with this as our plastic pedals and triggers don't give you any feedback when you lose traction. Making it too realistic might also also make it unplayable. 
PC wheel and pedal users get feedback when their rear end loses grip, codemasters will always include options to have full traction control or some for those that can not handle cars with no traction control.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×