Sign in to follow this  

Is there anyone still at it?

Front wheel drive cars are useless because it's really bad with them. They understeer under throttle even if you have the E-brake pulled the whole time lol. The cars simply do not handle realistically. 
I'm not an expert, but isn't it how fwd cars behave in real life?

I think it's a stretch to say that the handling is arcade in Dirt 4. Yes, there is too much grip on the rear wheels, but the aerodynamics and car weight seem much more realistic than in Dirt Rally. Also, compare the tarmac driving in two games - the Germany seemed so floaty and arcade'y I couldn't stand it (for some reason, Hillclimb tarmac was ok), Spain is much better in terms of handling. It almost feels like Richard Burns Rally's tarmac sometimes.

And again, Codemasters said that while they acknowledge the problems with some classes, they feel they got pretty close to a real experience with R5 cars. I think it's true, because those cars drive like magic regardless of the terrain. 

Mystx24 said:
I dont think the problem is snap understeer, more of the cars in default snap oversteer and if over corrected it feels like understeer, iv sorted out handling issues with setup, if anyone needs car setup assistance, message me on here or check out Mystx24 on youtube iv got tuneing vids up.

This game does deserve more praise than it's given.
I'm 100% certain its a snap understeer issue. Maybe its something in the setup but most cars I tried snap into understeer without you counter-steering. I've gone into a left hander, and turned in, ebraked to get the tail out, and got on the throttle when the car was facing the way I wanted, at nearly full lock left, and still the car snapped back to the right. 

Front wheel drive cars are useless because it's really bad with them. They understeer under throttle even if you have the E-brake pulled the whole time lol. The cars simply do not handle realistically. Dirt Rally was FAR more  accurate, even though the cars would bounce like a basketball.

If you like it thats fine, but the handling model is too arcade for my tastes.
LOL, that is how FWD Cars handle, they have a lot of understeering and you need to control it with your left foot and by modulating the throttle. R2 and KitCar are really really good recreated

I'm avoiding it for now because I'm also playing DR and SLRE. I find that if I play D4 too much I struggle to adapt to the others. DNFd last week's 1980's when I tried to save a slide by stamping on the accelerator and instead of snapping back into line the back end went right out and I reversed off a cliff.

Iv just downloaded a different SLRE demo following the above comments & have to admit, it's less frustrating to play than what D4 is... :(

KevM said:
Iv just downloaded a different SLRE demo following the above comments & have to admit, it's less frustrating to play than what D4 is... :(
Be careful with that. I remember playing the PS4 demo and the handling was much better in the actual game. I love SLRE's handling. It feels the most accurate and satisfying of the current gen. Take the weight and aero of D4 (which I think are a huge improvement over DR's lunar physics) and combine it with the satisfaction of DR's handling, then make it less forgiving and you can pretty much sum up how SLRE feels. My main nitpicks are crappy FFB on a lot of the FWD cars and a large deadzone on my G29 on asphalt. Too bad the graphics and sounds suck so bad, but the plethora of cars, the physics & the challenging stages make it quite an enjoyable game.

Yeah, the steering input is fairly laggy and the handling quite vague, BUT, it does react as you'd expect a car to and I can live with that.
I remember the first demo was fairly bad.  This one is ok.

BUT (again)...
My daughter wanted a go on a Rally game, so iv fired DiRT Rally up for her.  I'm sitting watching her fumble through Bidno in a Sierra Cos and it's easy to see why we've all become so critical.  The game is immense!  The attention to detail, visually and aurally, the handling etc.  It won't be equalled for a very long time I feel...

I'm avoiding it for now because I'm also playing DR and SLRE. I find that if I play D4 too much I struggle to adapt to the others. DNFd last week's 1980's when I tried to save a slide by stamping on the accelerator and instead of snapping back into line the back end went right out and I reversed off a cliff.
Why would you stamp on the accelerator to stop a slide in a 1980's rear wheel drive car? All this would do is spin the back end out, it definately wouldn't pull you out of a slide in real life.

KevM said:
Be careful with that. I remember playing the PS4 demo and the handling was much better in the actual game. I love SLRE's handling. It feels the most accurate and satisfying of the current gen. Take the weight and aero of D4 (which I think are a huge improvement over DR's lunar physics) and combine it with the satisfaction of DR's handling, then make it less forgiving and you can pretty much sum up how SLRE feels. My main nitpicks are crappy FFB on a lot of the FWD cars and a large deadzone on my G29 on asphalt. Too bad the graphics and sounds suck so bad, but the plethora of cars, the physics & the challenging stages make it quite an enjoyable game.
My eyes and ears bleeds too much to give SLRE any longer attention. And RWD cars are laughable. 

bogani said:
And RWD cars are laughable. 
I can't possibly imagine what that'd be like....   >:)

bogani said:
My eyes and ears bleeds too much to give SLRE any longer attention. And RWD cars are laughable. 
I fail to see (and fail to feel myself when I drive) how RWD cars are "laughable":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZk21tqYi6E

bogani said:
I fail to see (and fail to feel myself when I drive) how RWD cars are "laughable":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZk21tqYi6E

Sorry Bro, you posted that video as a proof of how good the slre is? Specially it's rwd physics, I don't know if you are kidding or saying it seriously.
As @bogani said, every part of my body bleeds when I see SLRE footage or play it (30min)

@Fedemaisonnave no I'm not trying to show how good/bad physics are, just wondering why RWD was labeled as "laughable". The oversteer isn't as exaggerated as in DR but it's no walk in the park.

LOL eyes and ears bleeding. Can't argue with you on those points  :p

@Fedemaisonnave no I'm not trying to show how good/bad physics are, just wondering why RWD was labeled as "laughable". The oversteer isn't as exaggerated as in DR but it's no walk in the park.

The RWD cars in Dirt Rally is by far the best virtual representation of a RWD car on a loose surface ever created in my opinion.

You can feel the tires dig in to the ground as it sends you slightly sideways on throttle.

And when it comes to RWD's in DR the oversteer is certainly not exagerated. 

bogani said:

The RWD cars in Dirt Rally is by far the best virtual representation of a RWD car on a loose surface ever created in my opinion.

You can feel the tires dig in to the ground as it sends you slightly sideways on throttle.

And when it comes to RWD's in DR the oversteer is certainly not exagerated. 

I agree with this 100% - my biggest disappointment by far in D4 is how lifeless the RWD cars feel compared to DR; they were a revelation there.

Mystx24 said:
I dont think the problem is snap understeer, more of the cars in default snap oversteer and if over corrected it feels like understeer, iv sorted out handling issues with setup, if anyone needs car setup assistance, message me on here or check out Mystx24 on youtube iv got tuneing vids up.

This game does deserve more praise than it's given.
I'm 100% certain its a snap understeer issue. Maybe its something in the setup but most cars I tried snap into understeer without you counter-steering. I've gone into a left hander, and turned in, ebraked to get the tail out, and got on the throttle when the car was facing the way I wanted, at nearly full lock left, and still the car snapped back to the right. 

Front wheel drive cars are useless because it's really bad with them. They understeer under throttle even if you have the E-brake pulled the whole time lol. The cars simply do not handle realistically. Dirt Rally was FAR more  accurate, even though the cars would bounce like a basketball.

If you like it thats fine, but the handling model is too arcade for my tastes.
LOL, that is how FWD Cars handle, they have a lot of understeering and you need to control it with your left foot and by modulating the throttle. R2 and KitCar are really really good recreated
You beat me to it! Understeer is typical in FWD cars, especially those with more power. The KitCar handling is, in my opinion, some of the best in the game. 
but goddamn it when I drive my Fiesta R5 or Subaru N4 I actually like it more than Dirt Rally. It feels so good with the wheel. 
I am a controller player, but I share this opinion: the FWD and 4WD cars that are good, feel absolutely spot on. It's just the RWD and a few other cars that don't seem quite right.

Here are two great videos that demonstrate why most of us love both games (DiRT Rally and Sébastien Loeb Rally EVO). Pretty much the reason why all of us play rally games. This is the action that we don't get from DiRT 4 and what has upset so many people about the handling model.

It's poetry in motion in both games. Long live rally!

[EDIT]I replaced the DR video with one from the same guy that did the SLRE one for consistency.[/EDIT]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dootdEL9seA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPvfv75Skdk&t

@bogani @Fedemaisonnave WARNING! The second video can produce eye bleeding. But your ears will be OK because you can't hear the engines over the soundrack  ;)

But, in fairness....

https://youtu.be/tN4QCCydm_M

Yes, it's got to the point where people are having to choose between playing DiRT 4 or SLRE... O Gawd. :(

Wierd... it seems a lot depends on the individual cars in Dirt 4. I picked BMW for the weekly challenge and it oversteered like crazy on wet Spain stages. 

After playing Dirt 4, I turned on Dirt Rally for comparison. Cars feel so light and it's so very easy to go sideways... which is super fun, I must admit, but I almost felt like driving toy cars. If only Codemasters could strike balance between the two handling models.

And then there is also Sebastien Loeb Rally Evo, which is the most demanding in terms of car control in my opinion and can be extremely satisfying, in spite of lackluster presentation. And Kylotonn are going in the right direction with WRC6, which is a big improvement over WRC5.

Man, we should be really happy that there are so many good rally games on the market right now, just like in the PlayStation 2 era. The future looks bright. :) 

Man, we should be really happy that there are so many good rally games on the market right now, just like in the PlayStation 2 era. The future looks bright. :) 
Not just good rally games, but games that at least try to aim for realism. It was only a few years ago when the only new rally games on the market were pretty far into the "arcade" category. No wonder Richard Burns Rally lasted so long!

I'm not playing D4 anymore, I went back to the old CMR and WRC games which are miles better. There's no point in playing the game after you beat the triple crown series anyway.
You could have a go at completing all the events in 'fearless' mode and gaining a full set of gold star trophies. I'm 11 short (4x silver and 7x 4th or worse) in all disciplines and getting to that stage can easilly another 30 hours of gameplay.

Has anyone completed and golded all the career events in Fearless difficulty?  Just wondering.  It would be interesting to find out if any liveries unlock.