Want to report an issue? Have a bug to report? Please look here first!!!! Read more... ×

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stuttering

Hello fellow racers,

So I just bought F1 2017 and I must say the game is very enjoyable.
However, even though I have a quite decent PC, the game is a bit... stuttery.
I ran the benchmark test and it never drops below 100 FPS, still in some corners throughout a race the game feels a bit stuttery and as if the screen does a mini-freeze every once in a while.

It's very odd and thus difficult to explain.
I updated all drivers on my PC, my graphics drivers and everything. But I can't seem to fix the issue.
This is making racing very hard because I tend to miss some braking points because of it

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 @ 3.20 GHz (4 CPUs) ~ 3.2GHz
GFX: GeForce GTX 970
RAM: 16 GB
DirectX: 12
1920x1080 32 bit (60Hz) monitor

I am experiencing micro stuttering very frequently but get no freezing. Same issue that I had with F1 2016. Luckily this time I was smart enough to request a refund through Steam with under 2 hours of game play. This game (and 2016) just doesn't handle high refresh rates as every other game is able to for some odd reason. I happened to have done a fresh W10 install last week so that's not the issue. I am at completely stock settings on my PC, nothing overclocked (had same issues while overclocked, so stock settings make no difference). No idea if it is just an Intel CPU issue or what, or even nVidia, but this is 2 years in a row that I've had issues- with just F1. It is not my PC. Here are my specs:

i7 7700k at stock
GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid at stock
Corsair 16gb DDR4 3000 tried both at XMP 3000 speed and underclocked / volted down at 2133.
Acer XB271HU 1440p monitor @ 144hz
EVGA 850 G2 power supply
G-sync enabled globally. GPU set to max performance in NV control panel. V-sync off in game. 

My FPS are always higher than 100 and G-sync is working because it never exceeds 144. Game is set to 143 fps limit within the game. Also tried setting a frame limiter within EVGA Precision, didn't help. Also completely closed and disabled EVGA Precision, also did not help. 

The only thing I haven't tried is G-sync off. That could very well be the culprit. I already requested the refund and don't want to break 2 hours and be out $60. If someone has zero microstutter at 120Hz+ without G-sync please comment. 

I downloaded the latest nVidia driver that is game ready for F1 2017. Version 385.41.

Not at all worth my $60+ tax. Not yet at least. 

I'm also having the same problem.

Especially when there are many cars together happens these stuttering micros. When you have only 3 cars together, that does not happen.

But in a rush with 10 or 15 people of quite stuttering!

Fix this codemasters!

jlp0209 said:
I am experiencing micro stuttering very frequently but get no freezing. Same issue that I had with F1 2016. Luckily this time I was smart enough to request a refund through Steam with under 2 hours of game play. This game (and 2016) just doesn't handle high refresh rates as every other game is able to for some odd reason. I happened to have done a fresh W10 install last week so that's not the issue. I am at completely stock settings on my PC, nothing overclocked (had same issues while overclocked, so stock settings make no difference). No idea if it is just an Intel CPU issue or what, or even nVidia, but this is 2 years in a row that I've had issues- with just F1. It is not my PC. Here are my specs:

i7 7700k at stock
GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid at stock
Corsair 16gb DDR4 3000 tried both at XMP 3000 speed and underclocked / volted down at 2133.
Acer XB271HU 1440p monitor @ 144hz
EVGA 850 G2 power supply
G-sync enabled globally. GPU set to max performance in NV control panel. V-sync off in game. 

My FPS are always higher than 100 and G-sync is working because it never exceeds 144. Game is set to 143 fps limit within the game. Also tried setting a frame limiter within EVGA Precision, didn't help. Also completely closed and disabled EVGA Precision, also did not help. 

The only thing I haven't tried is G-sync off. That could very well be the culprit. I already requested the refund and don't want to break 2 hours and be out $60. If someone has zero microstutter at 120Hz+ without G-sync please comment. 

I downloaded the latest nVidia driver that is game ready for F1 2017. Version 385.41.

Not at all worth my $60+ tax. Not yet at least. 
Thanks for posting. I know I don't have to waste money thinking G-Sync would fix it for me.

Also thanks for posting about the newer driver, I shall see if there is a performance difference, I will retain the older driver that I used in the beta.

Good afternoon guys,

I'm experiencing severe stuttering on the point that it is sometimes freezing even in the career entrance scenario when you walk up to your agent. Upon coming on the actual gameplay, it becomes pretty much undriveable.

My pc has an i5-5257U, 2.7 GHz
16GB DDR3 L Memory
and a screen resolution of 1920x1080 screen.

Plus, I also play on power rather than the battery.

Any suggestions/help on what I could do please?

Same problem for me. It's just impossible to drive in tracks like Monaco Azerbaidjan Singapour... For the others tracks it's only micro stuttering but it completely ruined the experience. I've tried every graphics options ( low to high ), update graphics drivers : it's the same problem.

PC
AMD FX(tm)-4300 Quad-Core Processor 3.80GHz
AMD Radeon R7 200 Series
12Go RAM

Glad it is not just me. @steviejay69 I tried the game with old drivers and the latest one. No difference. With F1 2016 it helped to increase pre rendered frames (I think that was the setting) in the NV control panel and half the refresh rate. So this unfortunately locks the game at (for me) 75 fps given my 144hz monitor. But the result was zero microstutter. Totally defeats the purpose of buying a high refresh rate monitor and building a PC. At this rate I may as well just buy the game for PS4 but this version also appears to have issues looking at these forums. Sigh. 

Real shame I am getting this because the game is really fun. It doesn't always happen for me, sometimes I do get a clear run, but at the minute it's unplayable. I've tried the latest drivers from Nvidia and have a Verity of game settings. No joy. Hopefully someone can come up with a fix soon!

Specs: Nvidia GTX 950
             Ryzen 5 1600
             8GB Ram
             Windows 10 Technical preview build 16232

I have the same problem (1440p 144hz G Sync monitor with 1080Ti). Usually I always set my pre rendered frames to 1 to help minimize input lag, and setting it to 2 for F1 2017 made a big difference in microstuttering (it's even gone, but I only tested in time trial), and I don't think it was detrimental to input lag.

I have the same problem (1440p 144hz G Sync monitor with 1080Ti). Usually I always set my pre rendered frames to 1 to help minimize input lag, and setting it to 2 for F1 2017 made a big difference in microstuttering (it's even gone, but I only tested in time trial), and I don't think it was detrimental to input lag.
I think this just keeps your FPS under 100 by taxing the GPU. Otherwise you'd have the stutter.

I think this just keeps your FPS under 100 by taxing the GPU. Otherwise you'd have the stutter.
No, my FPS are exactly the same. 

PS4 Pro suffers signifanct screen tearing on tracks with trees, city scapes, etc. This appears to be a terrible game. 

PC here. weirdly, I have had no stutters/freezes since the last patch, and I've done Canada-Silverstone since then. But others I race with have had no such luck.

I have to add that I'm on the very latest Nvidia drivers, whilst others may have reverted to 382.33 as recommended at various places - maybe they fixed it now to work with the latest driver? I dunno, just speculating here.

I watch Tom97HD's career races every day, and he very much still has his stutters, so it's clear it still exists.

Same issue here (PC again), the game is nearly unplayable. I mainly play on multiplayer lobbies and during the race, the game just stops and the guy chasing me either catches up or jumps past me when the game resumes, so I'm just frozen in the game for 1 second. The more cars in the multiplayer lobby and the worse things get, and yes I pick a game host with decent ping speed.

CPU: AMD FX 8350
GPX: NVIDIA 1060 (Also tried a AMD grx card, same issue occurs)

yeah same here I've had it too. it's made it hard to drive sometimes especially when it does it while your negotiating a corner. I must admit sometimes I wonder whether this and my invisible rain problem I reported are connected.

Same **** as in 2016. wont get fixed.

Body is 3 to bla bla

I don't remember this issue being in 2016

Same issue here.  I notice it really bad if i lock up tyres or at random times in a corner.  PLEASE FIX THIS CODEMASTERS!

maybe related? http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/57782/lags-with-dynamic-weather-setting-in-mp#latest

it is not related to weather. But the video just show what I'm experiencing too. And it is only since patch 1.6 for me.
And what's really strange, it does that for me only on a random corner. I can restart the race and the stutter/freeze will never come at the same place.
It is totally random so difficult to investigate.

I ran a 50% championship race at Australia and had it happen severely between turns 1 and 3 three times during the race. I've only run Australia in 2017 so far, but I reported the same issue in F1 2016 for the same area of the same track. I've seen it happen in that area in benchmarks, too. 

LChaves01 said:
I get stutters most of the time when the something pops up in the HUD (like fastest lap for example).
At least in singleplayer i could get those stutters away by turning off internet on the computer after starting the game. (disable Wifi / pull LAN cable). Seems to me that they are caused by lag when the game syncs something related to lap times.