Sign in to follow this  

How is the AI in F1 2013?

I have F1 2010 and 2011 but I don't play either because the poor AI made Career very boring. Basically I could overtake multiple cars in the first few turns of each race, and then I would find myself in a Lotus or Virgin in middle of the pack. Because the AI was bad and not at all aggressive, they wouldn't ovetake me and there would be a train of cars behind me who couldn't overtake. (I raced against Legend AI)

Will I find this problem if I buy F1 2013, or is the AI more aggressive? Do they overtake and defend better?

They are more aggressive on F1 2013 but you can still gain quite a few positions into the first couple of corners

They are slow.
If good drivers have a car better than McLaren, they will be light years ahead of the AI.. I have to pick at least Toro Rosso to have some fun in the pack.

Slow, especially early in the race as some advised. There are a few tracks, like China, where they seem a little unbalanced (in favor of the AI), but overall, solid. They are prone to collision incidents, which coupled with the penalty system, can be a bit frustrating. Just need to be aware of your surroundings.

They’re definitely better in 2013, but not really better enough. You can still make up too many positions into the first corner on most tracks, and even when they have the inside line tthey still back out of overtakes too often, but they’ll certainly go for moves that they didn’t before so it’s a step in the right direction.

Much better than previous ones I believe however nowhere near realistic. Your still always fearful of getting shunted, or some uneven/inconsistent pace of the cars in front where you come upon them too quick in corners, only for them to warp ahead out of the apex and create a constant yo-yo effect.

Thanks, I got F1 2012 for £3.69 and it is much better than 2011 although I do have to resist the temptation of overtaking 10 cars in the first turns in order to have more exciting races!

They are quite good at stopping you from getting on pole position - they do this by seemingly deliberately blocking you on their out- or in-laps.

still awful after 4 years. if they have DRS behind you on a long straight, they cruise up to your rear and then attempt a half overtake: they pull out of your slipstream and then back in, hesitating before aborting the move. ridiculous.

I'll just say that lapped cars are much harder to pass than cars you're racing against

jamieeng said:
Thanks, I got F1 2012 for £3.69 and it is much better than 2011 although I do have to resist the temptation of overtaking 10 cars in the first turns in order to have more exciting races!
well in my opinion 2012 is better than 13 that's for sure so you've made the right move there I think

You can get ahead of the pack in the first few corners and stay there with defence driving, as long as you have a good out lap you can stay ahead through a pitstop. Best way to enjoy the game is to pick a Caterham or Murussia, start from the back and try to work you way forward.

There are problems like the other people have been stating, but honestly, the AI is way better than other racing games like Grand Turismo and Forza. 

They really need to get the 1st lap right and when an AI car is on the inside of a corner it will just bail out and let you have it.  But its is sooooo much better than in 2012. 

2012 was weird how youd always be in no mans land by yourself. 

I think the tyre deg helps it out but i have managed to have a ton of fun in career by doing this.  Find a ai settings that fits your driving style but do not use a custom setup.  use the default setups because that is what the ai use.  when you do that you wont get the advanages that the ai have and its much more fun!  I also wont do those dives at the beginning of the race.  yes the user has to make it more enjoyable but it really does make it alot better. then it just comes down to how good of a car you are in.

For instance I use legend ai with one shot quali in my career right now.  i started in sauber and ended up in 7th at the end of the year.  i signed a mclaren deal and now i am in p2 of the championship.  so far its been good fun.

One word: Disastrous. They are not intelligent at all. Has to do with CMs programming schedule-it is IMPOSSIBLE to create a really good AI in less then 2-3 years of constant tweaking and tuning and ironing out the little tidbits and nuances in a race. Took Crammond years. CM cannot compete-on no level.