F1 2021 | Arrives July 16 | First Look Here Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

This is what F1 2014 should be like

It's hilarious that many people who claim to not use any assists are playing in TV mode. This is an assist! Do you really think that real F1 drivers can see this way while racing in real life?? It's clearly an advantage to help see better to try to apex turns in the video game. And what's most hilarious is that these TV view users are crying for full sim!...LMFAO

It's hilarious that many people who claim to not use any assists are playing in TV mode. This is an assist! Do you really think that real F1 drivers can see this way while racing in real life?? It's clearly an advantage to help see better to try to apex turns in the video game. And what's most hilarious is that these TV view users are crying for full sim!...LMFAO
I actually find the TV cam to be awkward, and not an advantage at all. I find the sense of speed and weight of the car a bit weird, and that I don't have anywhere near as good feel for the car as I do in cockpit cam. Just because its not necessarily realistic doesn't mean its easier or an advantage, I fine it a disadvantage personally. 

APR193 said:
I actually find the TV cam to be awkward, and not an advantage at all. I find the sense of speed and weight of the car a bit weird, and that I don't have anywhere near as good feel for the car as I do in cockpit cam. Just because its not necessarily realistic doesn't mean its easier or an advantage, I fine it a disadvantage personally. 
Well playing in TV-cam by itself is arcade and will never be sim, let alone full-sim.

APR193 said:
Well playing in TV-cam by itself is arcade and will never be sim, let alone full-sim.
Who cares? If you don't find it simulation enough don't use it. Its not an advantage so you're not missing out on anything.

APR193 said:
Its not an advantage so you're not missing out on anything. 
Only you think it's not an advantage. It's a huge advantage!
How is it an advantage? Because the camera is higher up? The cockpit cam is a lot higher up than it should be anyway, and the feel of the car you have in cockpit view is a lot better in my opinion than the TV cam. Saying its an advantage is like saying the chase cam is an advantage because you can see what the car is doing. I've seen or experienced nothing to suggest that TV cam is an advantage over cockpit cam in lap time.

APR193 said:
How is it an advantage? Because the camera is higher up? The cockpit cam is a lot higher up than it should be anyway, and the feel of the car you have in cockpit view is a lot better in my opinion than the TV cam. Saying its an advantage is like saying the chase cam is an advantage because you can see what the car is doing.
Precisely, TV cam and chase cams are totally arcade. Simulators like iRacing only offer cockpit view for driving. However, it offers TV cam, chase, blimp, etc for replay. That's how it should be.

APR193 said:
How is it an advantage? Because the camera is higher up? The cockpit cam is a lot higher up than it should be anyway, and the feel of the car you have in cockpit view is a lot better in my opinion than the TV cam. Saying its an advantage is like saying the chase cam is an advantage because you can see what the car is doing.
Precisely, TV cam and chase cams are totally arcade. Simulators like iRacing only offer cockpit view for driving. However, it offers TV cam, chase, blimp, etc for replay. That's how it should be.
So what happens when probably at a guess around the 90-95% of people that buy the game and don't use cockpit cam, see that cockpit cam is the only view you can have in the new game, and therefore don't buy it? It results is a massive loss rather than profit for Codies, less money for the following years, and possibly even a big enough loss for it to be the last F1 game. All because other people can use a view you don't want to? What difference does it make what other people do when it doesn't affect you or your game.

APR193 said:
So what happens when probably at a guess around the 90-95% of people that buy the game and don't use cockpit cam, see that cockpit cam is the only view you can have in the new game, and therefore don't buy it? It results is a massive loss rather than profit for Codies, less money for the following years, and possibly even a big enough loss for it to be the last F1 game. All because other people can use a view you don't want to? What difference does it make what other people do when it doesn't affect you or your game.
Like I stated before, TV cam & chase are an advantage b/c of increased sight. And 90-95% do not use TV cam. Most use cockpit cam for offline and TV cam for online multi-player. They use TV cam for online multi-player or for TT b/c it's an advantage. I don't play Codemasters F1 for multiplayer b/c I don't want to use TV cam like everyone else is. That being said, most people who buy this game play offline, especially people residing outside the UK.

Also, unfortunately, I realize the kiddies like TV cam & Chase. That's why CM has it in.

APR193 said:
Like I stated before, TV cam & chase are an advantage b/c of increased sight. And 90-95% do not use TV cam. Most use cockpit cam for offline and TV cam for online multi-player. They use TV cam for online multi-player or for TT b/c it's an advantage. I don't play Codemasters F1 for multiplayer b/c I don't want to use TV cam like everyone else is. That being said, most people who buy this game play offline, especially people residing outside the UK.

Also, unfortunately, I realize the kiddies like TV cam & Chase. That's why CM has it in.
I always use cockpit view, yes t-cam can be an advantage as it allows you to see an apex better but all the aids are and so are controllers with their turn and brake assist, that's why I want it to be like it is in my video, however I only race online and I'm faster than most in my league with all settings off and using cockpit cam.

APR193 said:

Increased sight does not mean quicker lap times. It means it is easier to do quicker lap times, not that you are automatically going to go quicker. If you were good enough you could still do the lap times with cockpit cam. I can easily and consistently do quicker lap times with cockpit cam than TV cam, so your theory is not true.

I don't know where on the leaderboard I am now as it was a long time ago, but I managed to get quickest on the global leaderboard on Xbox 360, around both Montreal and Nurburgring in the 80s cars with fairly limited laps. Both of these were done with cockpit cam, and all assists off. I'm not the greatest player on the game though, so if so many people like you claim are using TV cam in TT mode to get faster times, I find it hard to believe it works.

I always use cockpit view, yes t-cam can be an advantage as it allows you to see an apex better but all the aids are and so are controllers with their turn and brake assist, that's why I want it to be like it is in my video, however I only race online and I'm faster than most in my league with all settings off and using cockpit cam.
Yes, I also agree with you that t-cam is an aid. Well, I think that you are in the distinct minority in that you only use cockpit view for online 2013 play. For multi-player, I'll continue to stick with iRacing since I know everyone is forced to race the same way.

Well Codemasters has to be Codemasters however I have actually seen a regression in some of your title series. I finally now have all the F1 series of titles due to the Steam Sale and the one that feels the best to me behind the wheel is F1 2011. 2012 and 2013 are terrible however they do look nice and the Historics were a nice touch for 2013 but the game is unplayable!

Codemasters just seems to try to make too much effort for unneeded changes and have ended up screwing up good games are far as the driving is concerned. Then we have seen controller support differ from title to title series to series.

Create a Standard and stick with it! Make your more common changes with graphics quality or more and different content. In the Real World driving is for the most part a Standard Practice that should carry over into the virtual  world

I think Codemasters makes great games for the most part and the areas that need to be focused on and fixed seem that could be done not too painstakingly. The Positives far outweigh the Negatives but the Negatives are significant enough to damage the overall enjoyment of the games

It shouldn't be. I'm in favour of sim racing games but an official F1 game can not and should not be a sim.
It has so appeal to all crowds, not just a small group. The official game represents the F1 brand. If they made the game a sim, they are basically saying that they only care about the hardcore fans rather than all fans.

For the same reason, the official game should also be available to every player of all consoles. Again, not just a portion of the fanbase.

I agree the game has to appeal to the masses that does not mean it has to sub par quality where the handling and feeling behind the wheel are concerned. Codemasters games look great and the environments full of life. That is not enough if the driving is crappy and the continued recycle of the same crap. How is a developer going to allow their titles to get worse with time not better? That is an equation for eternal disaster!

MUZZARIOL said:
It shouldn't be. I'm in favour of sim racing games but an official F1 game can not and should not be a sim.
It has so appeal to all crowds, not just a small group. The official game represents the F1 brand. If they made the game a sim, they are basically saying that they only care about the hardcore fans rather than all fans.

For the same reason, the official game should also be available to every player of all consoles. Again, not just a portion of the fanbase.

Thats where driver assists and AI difficulty come into play. If you turn all assists off and activate realistic AI in 2013 how many kids/casuals/mass market players would be able to keep up?

For some reason Steve Hood and yourself honestly seem to beleive people will run to the hills if the game possesses any sense of realism or authenticity whatsoever.

no reason why Codemasters couldnt implement an "arcade mode" and "simulation mode" either. They wont bother though because they know that hardcore fans are likely to purchase anyway as their license is EXCLUSIVE, which just leaves the naieve casual crowd to suck in and brainwash (who dont know enough about F1 to know better, and are less likely to complain about lack of authenticity or copy and paste games either)
Sure two driving models would be ideal. But consider how that would affect the development time. They don't have the luxury of several years of development like other racing games such as rFactor, PCars, GT and Forza.
So what's the best that can be done? Compromise to suit both types of player. Every other official F1 title before CM had the license was much the same. A simulation experience takes much more than a year (or around 8 months that they actually have) to give any justice to.
I don't for one second think it would be bad for the game to fully replicate the sport and be a full blown simulation. In fact, I'd love it as much as you or any other hardcore fan on here. But I take my mind away from being a player and what I want and try to see things in the big picture. If it can't be done then that's that.
It will be interesting to see how the next gen version stacks up since it's had more development time than previous titles. If it's much the same again, then there is indeed a problem.

MUZZARIOL said:

Thats where driver assists and AI difficulty come into play. If you turn all assists off and activate realistic AI in 2013 how many kids/casuals/mass market players would be able to keep up?

For some reason Steve Hood and yourself honestly seem to beleive people will run to the hills if the game possesses any sense of realism or authenticity whatsoever.

no reason why Codemasters couldnt implement an "arcade mode" and "simulation mode" either. They wont bother though because they know that hardcore fans are likely to purchase anyway as their license is EXCLUSIVE, which just leaves the naieve casual crowd to suck in and brainwash (who dont know enough about F1 to know better, and are less likely to complain about lack of authenticity or copy and paste games either)
Sure two driving models would be ideal. But consider how that would affect the development time. They don't have the luxury of several years of development like other racing games such as rFactor, PCars, GT and Forza.
So what's the best that can be done? Compromise to suit both types of player. Every other official F1 title before CM had the license was much the same. A simulation experience takes much more than a year (or around 8 months that they actually have) to give any justice to.
I don't for one second think it would be bad for the game to fully replicate the sport and be a full blown simulation. In fact, I'd love it as much as you or any other hardcore fan on here. But I take my mind away from being a player and what I want and try to see things in the big picture. If it can't be done then that's that.
It will be interesting to see how the next gen version stacks up since it's had more development time than previous titles. If it's much the same again, then there is indeed a problem.
Of course it's going to be the same if not worse, codemasters can't make a game without game breaking bugs. 'Next Gen'
won't do anything, next gen is just old console hardware, they need to develop   on pc  and then filter it for consoles. These in season updates will probably break the game too because they are useless at that too, I'm really wondering if even EA could do a better job.

MUZZARIOL said:

Fair call mate, I guess my biggest gripe with it is while each annual release (take 2012 -> 2013 as an example) could arguably be warranted as DLC worthy instead of a full blown redesigned game, theres no real evidence to suggest Codies are going to put in the sort of investment commensurate of the licenses prestige going forward.

2015 would be the perfect opportunity to implement a "arcade" and "simulation" option into the series as it has become clear theyve thrown all their resources on that game. Sadly though, with their reluctance to implement subtle, immersive, and arguably somewhat superficial things such as career numbers into 2014, the odds are stacked against any logical decision making for the future.

I sincerely hope they prove me wrong though, for the benefit of F1 fans worldwide

MUZZARIOL said:
MUZZARIOL said:

Fair call mate, I guess my biggest gripe with it is while each annual release (take 2012 -> 2013 as an example) could arguably be warranted as DLC worthy instead of a full blown redesigned game, theres no real evidence to suggest Codies are going to put in the sort of investment commensurate of the licenses prestige going forward.

2015 would be the perfect opportunity to implement a "arcade" and "simulation" option into the series as it has become clear theyve thrown all their resources on that game. Sadly though, with their reluctance to implement subtle, immersive, and arguably somewhat superficial things such as career numbers into 2014, the odds are stacked against any logical decision making for the future.

I sincerely hope they prove me wrong though, for the benefit of F1 fans worldwide
I don't need immersive bullshit, I dont need a driver number and I don't need a career mode, I want a multiplayer with decent net code and online practice sessions, leagues keep the game going till the end and thats what they should focus on, their long term customers who buy it year and year again.

@HennoGarvie‌ 

We're talking about more realistic physics here, and having an option to select an "arcade" and "simulation" mode (or something to that effect) to broaden the games appeal.

Investing in everything you've mentioned would be fairly pointless when fundamental things with the gameplay such as physics have barely been improved upon.

That would be like serving steak and potatoes without the steak.

MUZZARIOL said:
@HennoGarvie‌ 

We're talking about more realistic physics here, and having an option to select an "arcade" and "simulation" mode (or something to that effect) to broaden the games appeal.

Investing in everything you've mentioned would be fairly pointless when fundamental things with the gameplay such as physics have barely been improved upon.

That would be like serving steak and potatoes without the steak.
The sim can come later as long as multiplayer is improved.

Am I in the minority here thinking that the physics in 2013 are ok?  With all assists off its what I want in a racer, difficult but not pure sim difficult.  If I was looking for a simulator, I'd own a gaming PC.  My main beef with the game is the bugs on release, and the dry career mode.  Wish I had options for online, but in the US there is rarely a lobby.

Also, the point I was trying to make in my prior post is that the OP is comparing a PC game with a console game, which isn't a fair comparison.  Yes, F1 does have a PC version, but its a copy of the console. 

MrSave07 said:
I think we should wait next gen game to make comparisons with AC or PC
Next gen doesn't mean shit, it's not next gen in any single way, 'next gen' still struggles with 60fps never mind being close to AC unfortunately

iRacing gives out $16,000 USD every year to their Grand Prix Series Champion and also $16,000 USD every year to their NASCAR Series Champion. They're on their 5th straight year doing this now. 34 yo Finnish guy, Greger Huttu has won the F1 series 3 years now.

Awesome idea for PR!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmRiJZ2J_p8#t=867