Sign in to follow this  

Optimal R&D Path - Efficiency/QC worth it?

I'm a bit overwhelmed by the complexity of the R&D system. In a way it's awesome that there are so many things one can optimize, but there are 2 investments in each of the 4 categories that make me cringe, since I'll have to get out Excel and do some calculations: Department Efficiency and Department Quality Control. Those investments reduce the research costs by 10-50% and reduce the probability of research failing (I don't remember the percentages, I think it was 7.5% or so per level).

Has anyone done some maths on these investments? Obviously it makes no sense in investing in these after having invested in all the "real" upgrades. The maximum value of these investments will be gained by investing in them before investing in the "real" upgrades, but that will require a very long-term R&D focus, possibly meaning that one will have to complete one or more seasons without investing in any "real" upgrades at all, which would put one's team at a disadvantage in the short and medium term in comparison to those teams focusing on "real" upgrades.

Calculating the value of Department Efficiency shouldn't be so hard, though. What's more tricky is the value of Quality Control, since I don't know the actual research failure probabilities. If they are very low from the start, it may not be worth investing in DQC. Do any of you know more on this?

Did some quick calculations for Department Efficiency (DE) the aerodynamics tree.

I calculated the maximum amount of savings (DE savings bonus applied to all upgrade costs) and break-even points (the base upgrade cost one has to pay for the DE cost to get covered) for each DE level. Assumption: 0% research failure rate. I'm not sure how research failures are handled in this game. If one can re-invest in a failed upgrade, the total upgrade cost would increase, so the savings potential from DE would increase as well.

16 upgrades cost 1000, 7 upgrades cost 1500, 3 upgrades cost 2000. Total cost = 32500
max savings = total cost * savings% - DE cost
break-even = DE cost / savings%
  • DE1: max savings = 2250, break-even = 10000
  • DE2: max savings = 4250, break-even = 11250
  • DE3: max savings = 6000, break-even = 12500
  • DE4: max savings = 7500, break-even = 13750
  • DE5: max savings = 8750, break-even = 15000

Im going with investing in the qc nfirst as it will help get parts faster with them been cheaper to buy 

I think it depends largely on what team and car you're driving and whether you feel you need some actual improvements on the car first. I started out with getting a couple of Aerodynamic and Chassis upgrades for the Williams but since then due to wearing my engine parts faster than I'd ideally like I've switched focus to durability so hopefully I can minimize any penalties I might pick up. Once I've got 1 or 2 upgrades on that I'll return focus to the chassis.

I would say if your racing for one of the top teams Mercedes or Ferrari then yes maybe putting points into quality control might be a good move as you won't need car upgrades necessarily right at the start because you've already got a damn good car underneath you already. But if you're one of the teams playing catch up you need to rethink your strategy.

iv basically been doing just durabilty upgrades for first season. 2nd ill focus on improving my mclaren. 
Same here...seems durability is also 100% success rate as there is nowhere to improve success rate of durability upgrades.  Will make my engine super reliable first season and then start improving the car.

I'm ordering engines and gearboxes like it is a free handout...I'm qualifying last anyways as I'm way of the pace...

R9NALD09 said:
iv basically been doing just durabilty upgrades for first season. 2nd ill focus on improving my mclaren. 
Same here...seems durability is also 100% success rate as there is nowhere to improve success rate of durability upgrades.  Will make my engine super reliable first season and then start improving the car.

I'm ordering engines and gearboxes like it is a free handout...I'm qualifying last anyways as I'm way of the pace...
what difficulty?

R9NALD09 said:

what difficulty?
Freaking 85 hahahaah.  Really just don't know why I'm that much off pace.  On a controller, with traction control on, ABS and automatic gears.  I can do manual gears and know it'll reduce my lap times but it just starts feeling like work...all the button pushes etc. and I don't have time with wife and kids to put 100's of hours to perfect manual gears.

Usually quite good with racing games but Alonso is at least half a second quicker than me every single session.  I do beat him in the race though.  Currently at Russia and finished 11th at Australia, 11th at China and 15th at Bahrain.  

On 2016 I found Expert too easy and started on 87 on 2017, but had to go back to 85.  I don't mind coming dead last but I want to be close to my teammate...

R9NALD09 said:
R9NALD09 said:

what difficulty?
Freaking 85 hahahaah.  Really just don't know why I'm that much off pace.  On a controller, with traction control on, ABS and automatic gears.  I can do manual gears and know it'll reduce my lap times but it just starts feeling like work...all the button pushes etc. and I don't have time with wife and kids to put 100's of hours to perfect manual gears.

Usually quite good with racing games but Alonso is at least half a second quicker than me every single session.  I do beat him in the race though.  Currently at Russia and finished 11th at Australia, 11th at China and 15th at Bahrain.  

On 2016 I found Expert too easy and started on 87 on 2017, but had to go back to 85.  I don't mind coming dead last but I want to be close to my teammate...
You should put traction control on medium.
It will make you a lot faster and it isn't that hard to control the car this year.

Doesn't need much practice either. Just some patience when you come out of a corner.

kipkluif said:
R9NALD09 said:
R9NALD09 said:

what difficulty?

You should put traction control on medium.
It will make you a lot faster and it isn't that hard to control the car this year.

Doesn't need much practice either. Just some patience when you come out of a corner.
Sweet will try it thanks man

There's a very nasty bug that makes the engine and gearbox wear out much too quickly at 25% race distance in career mode: http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/55905/25-race-engine-part-scaling-wear-bug . Obviously that's the race distance I picked. My engine and gearbox were in critical condition and needed to be swapped before the 3rd race, even though I wasn't particularly aggressive!

I'm not sure how bad component is normally. If 4+1 engines/gearboxes won't survive a whole season without durability upgrades, then durability upgrades will have a very high priority.

R9NALD09 said:
R9NALD09 said:

what difficulty?

I'm EXACTLY like you, mate! Generally very good with racing games (especially when I had a wheel) but playing on a pad with assists off just feels like work. I'm playing at 75% and struggling to stay ahead of my team mate Grosjean in career. Managed to come 6th in Australia, China and Bahrain so I suppose I should raise the difficulty a bit but even putting it up to 85 means I can't keep up with anyone. Probably realistic though in Haas :D

Might try getting used to medium TC if what kipkluif says is true. Also, yet to try manual gears so sounds like there's some time I can shave off. Tried setting difficulty to 95 - they do seem to behave more realistically though, so would like to play on a higher difficulty if I can.