Jump to content Jump to content

Qualifying with AI is broken

MattkD37

Career mode, Renault, full qualifying, first session. It appears the AI's qualifying lap times are automatically set. I was on my final quali lap around China, the chequered flag was out and I was in 17th place.Behind me on track was Wehrlein, who I saw get massively held up by another AI. As I cross the line to take the chequered flag, I was 3 tenths up, when the results screen appeared, I'd dropped from 17th to 20th and Wehrlein was ahead of me with a quicker lap despite it being impossible for him to have improved. It seems that the AI times are set automatically and not to what their actual lap times are.

Same thing here. Also in the Renault during career mode, but with short qualifying instead and at Australia. Just gonna paste what I posted in The Game Thread from Off-Topic.

I was doing quali for Australia, currently sitting in 7th and crossed the line to start my last lap with around 10 second until the flag dropped. There was no cars behind me on the mini-map, so once I finished my lap no other cars should be able to improve their times. I was still 7th coming out of the final corner, and was 2 tenths up on my previous best, crossed the line and finished... 15th.

Raikkonen on pole had gained 0.6 between me leaving the garage and finishing my fast lap, and Hulkenberg my team mate had gained 0.7. How is this possible when they weren't on track? The only way is with the game generating times.

It is a big problem, Im using one shot qualy as a workaround at the moment, it's the only way AI are setting 'normal' times. I just wish we had the option to spectate the rest of normal qualifying after time runs out instead of skipping to the results with the simulated AI times.

Saw this too. Also the countdown is broken. I came into the pits with about 10 seconds left for q2 and when I was in the garage suddenly the clock is counting down from 2 min. 

And the q2 times are about a second quicker than q3 if you don't participate. It really breaks the immersion.

Hi, same issue for me. Career mode, Renault, full qualifying, first session. I was on my final quali lap around China, the chequered flag was out and I was in 17th place. After that, I'd dropped from 17th to 20th. Suddenly another KI´s 1 second faster than me. 

I restarted the session about 3 times and it did it every single time. This bug makes full or short qualifying sessions pointless really, which is a shame because I enjoy the thrill of pushing like crazy in a slow car to squeeze through to the next session

Same thing. P12 in the standings with Kvyat's Toro Rosso, as the timer goes to 0 (no accelerated time whatsoever), then standings come up and I'm P19. I was way ahead of Sainz when it hit 0, and suddenly he's P8 1.4 seconds ahead of me when the standings come up...

EDIT: Luckily I like to start from the back and fight my way forward anyway, but in career it loses you some points in the rivalry challenge, which is what happened above.

Yeah it's quite annoying. What made me laugh though was I went out in q1 so all the other quali sessions were simulated. In the cutscene before the race, it comes up with peoples quali times and the AI car on pole was like 0.800 of a second SLOWER than what I had done in Q1 *facepalm*

This def is not right , had loads of occasions I qualified in the top half, and come the race i was Way down the field, this is a fundemental part of the game , and there is no way the game should have been released with this bug, very poor QA

Extreme example:

http://s1292.photobucket.com/user/timsuetens/media/Tech%20Support/F1_2017%202017-08-27%2021-46-56-98_zpsufg5pl0t.jpg.html?o=0

Only Hamilton bested me fair and square. He was 1st and me second. The other AI's were on a hotlap when the time hit zero. The ones still running (backmarkers) were assigned dry times, while the track was wet. It's a bug.

Dropping in to report this also happened to me, shunting me from safely qualifying for Q2 all the way down to 20th position. The way it showed me times in the director after the session made me feel like I was playing 2010 all over again

I really hope they haven't gone back to the 2010 way of doing things. I just gave up on the series completely whilst they had completely unrealistic and faked qualy times.

2016 seemed almost perfect in this regard so why the hell have they gone so backwards?

The practice and qualy times are just totally out of whack, and don't make sense

This has happened to me twice now, in both Aus and China.
I'm in P9 at the end of a wet Q1 in Aus... then all of a sudden I'm P17.
I'm P8 at the end of a dry Q1 in China... then all of a sudden I'm P16.
How the hell am I supposed to get close to my Quali objective if the game screws me like that?

@jennyannem, is there any word on this problem?

The only simulated laptimes are those from AI's that are on a flying lap when you get to the cutscene. AI's that are in the pits or on the in-lap keep their time they already have. I have tested this so please don't even say something like "......" You know what i mean^^
The only problem here is that the laptimes of the AI's on a flying lap are wrong when there are changeable contidions on the track, like for example a drying track, then the AI get laptimes simulated for a completely dry track(making them 10+ seconds faster).
If the conditions stay the same, i can't see any problem with the simulated times, they seem to be possible. Maybe they are one ot two tenth to fast, as it takes the griplevel of the track at 0 time left, which is a little bit faster than when you start your lap with 1 minune left, as the track gets faster and faster towards the end(at least i assume that the simulated times are made with griplevel at 0 time left, not sure). So if ou struggle thaat much in quali even when there is no change in weathercondtion, maybe try to improve your quali-pace. (time-trial is good for this)

But yeah, the problem should be solved by codemasters in my opinion...

oh yeah, before i forget it, here the screenshots of my test(short quali):
http://www.directupload.net/file/d/4829/hj2ktzh8_jpg.htm
http://www.directupload.net/file/d/4829/tul2kf5z_jpg.htm
http://www.directupload.net/file/d/4829/fofnekit_jpg.htm
http://www.directupload.net/file/d/4829/j8k4k6tz_jpg.htm
(hopw the links work)

the first 2 show the laptimes with only few seconds to go, the 2 others the results... Hamilton, bottas, vettel, raikönnen, perez, grosjean, alonso and verstappen are all in the pits or on the in-lap at that moment. compare their laptimes with the results, you will see there are no simulated laptimes... they have the same times they set before the cutscene... only the AI's currently on a flying lap get a different laptime, which is not that unrealistic in general...(better grip at end of session).

So it's not thaaat bad some claim it to be... Just in changeable conditions it's really bugged and yes, i agree this should be fixed.
Can we please get a conmirmation by codies that you are looking into this, because it's a really good game and i like it! But it's just soooo annoying when you really push as hell and get a perfect lap in that is worth nothing at the end because some AI get bugged lapstimes 10 seconds faster then everyone and you drop out in Q2 in p11 because of that...

Regards :)

Hi, first post here :)

Same problem - PS4, Career mode, Australia, Renault Qualifying, Wet

When the chequered flag fell in Q1, I was 12th and remained 12th while I was still running on the track. When I crossed the line and the final standings came out, I was 19th and eliminated.

echo321 said:
The only simulated laptimes are those from AI's that are on a flying lap when you get to the cutscene. AI's that are in the pits or on the in-lap keep their time they already have. I have tested this so please don't even say something like "......" You know what i mean^^
The only problem here is that the laptimes of the AI's on a flying lap are wrong when there are changeable contidions on the track, like for example a drying track, then the AI get laptimes simulated for a completely dry track(making them 10+ seconds faster).
If the conditions stay the same, i can't see any problem with the simulated times, they seem to be possible. Maybe they are one ot two tenth to fast, as it takes the griplevel of the track at 0 time left, which is a little bit faster than when you start your lap with 1 minune left, as the track gets faster and faster towards the end(at least i assume that the simulated times are made with griplevel at 0 time left, not sure). So if ou struggle thaat much in quali even when there is no change in weathercondtion, maybe try to improve your quali-pace. (time-trial is good for this)

But yeah, the problem should be solved by codemasters in my opinion...

oh yeah, before i forget it, here the screenshots of my test(short quali):
http://www.directupload.net/file/d/4829/hj2ktzh8_jpg.htm
http://www.directupload.net/file/d/4829/tul2kf5z_jpg.htm
http://www.directupload.net/file/d/4829/fofnekit_jpg.htm
http://www.directupload.net/file/d/4829/j8k4k6tz_jpg.htm
(hopw the links work)

the first 2 show the laptimes with only few seconds to go, the 2 others the results... Hamilton, bottas, vettel, raikönnen, perez, grosjean, alonso and verstappen are all in the pits or on the in-lap at that moment. compare their laptimes with the results, you will see there are no simulated laptimes... they have the same times they set before the cutscene... only the AI's currently on a flying lap get a different laptime, which is not that unrealistic in general...(better grip at end of session).

So it's not thaaat bad some claim it to be... Just in changeable conditions it's really bugged and yes, i agree this should be fixed.
Can we please get a conmirmation by codies that you are looking into this, because it's a really good game and i like it! But it's just soooo annoying when you really push as hell and get a perfect lap in that is worth nothing at the end because some AI get bugged lapstimes 10 seconds faster then everyone and you drop out in Q2 in p11 because of that...

Regards :)
I agree with you. I ran a dry to wet session and conditions stayed consistent once it was wet. Those of us who managed a dry time were near the front, those who ran later were at the back. Once the session had finished no one improved on their times. It seems it's a wet to dry transition bug at the end of sessions.

Honestly I don't have problem with simulated lap times since player can interrupt ai times if he/she wants. However it should definitely be more progressive and consistent. The only problem that I've seen, if you don't end the session by yourself, the times get bugged. Ai come first with 19 sec etc. Also I don't know if there is a qualifying timing bug, but 4 sec difference between race and qualifying seems pretty realistic to me. I also feel like grip is much higher in qualifying, but I might be wrong. Just feels that way. track color different etc. 

I have been racing on 95 (legend) difficulty which I have found is the right difficulty level for me in the races. However in the practice and qualifying sessions I often finish way below where I should for the car I'm driving. I then checked the qualifying times for the front runners on both 95 and 101 difficulty, and (around Australia at least) they were virtually identical. On 90 difficulty they were noticeably lower, so it's almost as if the qualifying pace is either too high for the difficulty level it's on, or annoyingly the qualifying pace on legend and ultimate difficulty is too similar and too difficult for those who want to race on legend.

I'm on the PS4 version of the game, which does seem to have different qualifying times to the PC version at least. I've seen many F1 YouTubers who play on the PC on 101 or above difficulty, and the AI's qualifying times are strangely similar to the the ones on 95 difficulty on the PS4 version.

I have been racing on 95 (legend) difficulty which I have found is the right difficulty level for me in the races. However in the practice and qualifying sessions I often finish way below where I should for the car I'm driving. I then checked the qualifying times for the front runners on both 95 and 101 difficulty, and (around Australia at least) they were virtually identical. On 90 difficulty they were noticeably lower, so it's almost as if the qualifying pace is either too high for the difficulty level it's on, or annoyingly the qualifying pace on legend and ultimate difficulty is too similar and too difficult for those who want to race on legend.

I'm on the PS4 version of the game, which does seem to have different qualifying times to the PC version at least. I've seen many F1 YouTubers who play on the PC on 101 or above difficulty, and the AI's qualifying times are strangely similar to the the ones on 95 difficulty on the PS4 version.
Hmm. Could it be that AI is working on old difficulty settings?? Like if Ultimate was 110 before, but now on 101 it says Ultimate but AI still keeps getting times for 110??

This happened to me in China. Busted my balls to improve by 2 tenths in Q2, went from 15th to 11th which i thought was great. Then when it goes to the cut scene it says im back to 15th looked at the times and everyone improved by OVER A SECOND in their final runs. Stupid. Then the actual pole time is SLOWER than those times Renault/Mclaren etc set to beat me.

For me not only Qualifying is broken but also Free Practice.
This is when using skip to the end of session or fast forwarding the session, the AI sets laptimes which are impossible when they are on track. I ALWAYS beeing end up almost on the last place because of this - but when I just watch the rest of the session without skipping to the end of the session the AI sets normal laptimes. This bug was already present in previous games, seriously what is so hard to code the AI laptimes to a believable level when skip to end of session? Wouldnt it be better to freeze the standings completely (at least until this serious issue is resolved finally)?

Hmm. Could it be that AI is working on old difficulty settings?? Like if Ultimate was 110 before, but now on 101 it says Ultimate but AI still keeps getting times for 110??
I also had that idea, so i just tested this, one-shot quali with 5 lap race at britain (light cloud, official daytime, sauber team)
i can not confirm that, vs 101 AI i was about 0.15 seconds behind wehrlein in quali, in the race the fastest laptime i was 0.14 seconds slower, so no big difference... against 110 AI in quali i lost 1.2 seconds to wehrlein, in the race it was even 1.7 seconds... so actually the oppisite, i lost time from quali to race.
maybe some others might/want do more tests with other difficulties(legend/master/hard/...) but i don't have the feeling that the AI are different from quali to race...

There is definately something wrong when i can make 0.6 faster than the target time in quali practice program but in actual quali my team mate is 1.5sec faster and im 18th. Playing AI at 80.

I had 0 issues with this in 2016

Then the actual pole time is SLOWER than those times Renault/Mclaren etc set to beat me.
I've noticed that as well, if you don't make it into Q3, the pole position time is always slower. In fact it seems to be even too slow for the difficulty level you're on. So if you do a qualifying session they go way too quickly, if you don't get there then they go way too slowly.

Then the actual pole time is SLOWER than those times Renault/Mclaren etc set to beat me. 
Yep had that too. It's crazy. I've tagged Jenny and tweeted Lee to try and draw their attention but no such luck as far as I know. Although in the update thread that was posted earlier today it said they're taking note of what people are posting in the tech assistance forums so fingers crossed they'll sort this out.

Archived