Want to report an issue? Have a bug to report? Please look here first!!!! Read more... ×

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Qualifying with AI is broken

come on codemasters, back to simulated lap times? REALLY?

you know how to destroy every fun we could have with the game.

oh that's well i didn't buy it and i wait (as all years)at least 3 months...taking at 20 euros

full of bug

The only simulated laptimes are those from AI's that are on a flying lap when you get to the cutscene. AI's that are in the pits or on the in-lap keep their time they already have. I have tested this so please don't even say something like "......" You know what i mean^^
The only problem here is that the laptimes of the AI's on a flying lap are wrong when there are changeable contidions on the track, like for example a drying track, then the AI get laptimes simulated for a completely dry track(making them 10+ seconds faster).
If the conditions stay the same, i can't see any problem with the simulated times, they seem to be possible. Maybe they are one ot two tenth to fast, as it takes the griplevel of the track at 0 time left, which is a little bit faster than when you start your lap with 1 minune left, as the track gets faster and faster towards the end(at least i assume that the simulated times are made with griplevel at 0 time left, not sure). So if ou struggle thaat much in quali even when there is no change in weathercondtion, maybe try to improve your quali-pace. (time-trial is good for this)

But yeah, the problem should be solved by codemasters in my opinion...

oh yeah, before i forget it, here the screenshots of my test(short quali):
http://www.directupload.net/file/d/4829/hj2ktzh8_jpg.htm
http://www.directupload.net/file/d/4829/tul2kf5z_jpg.htm
http://www.directupload.net/file/d/4829/fofnekit_jpg.htm
http://www.directupload.net/file/d/4829/j8k4k6tz_jpg.htm
(hopw the links work)

the first 2 show the laptimes with only few seconds to go, the 2 others the results... Hamilton, bottas, vettel, raikönnen, perez, grosjean, alonso and verstappen are all in the pits or on the in-lap at that moment. compare their laptimes with the results, you will see there are no simulated laptimes... they have the same times they set before the cutscene... only the AI's currently on a flying lap get a different laptime, which is not that unrealistic in general...(better grip at end of session).

So it's not thaaat bad some claim it to be... Just in changeable conditions it's really bugged and yes, i agree this should be fixed.
Can we please get a conmirmation by codies that you are looking into this, because it's a really good game and i like it! But it's just soooo annoying when you really push as hell and get a perfect lap in that is worth nothing at the end because some AI get bugged lapstimes 10 seconds faster then everyone and you drop out in Q2 in p11 because of that...

Regards :)

Hi, first post here :)

Same problem - PS4, Career mode, Australia, Renault Qualifying, Wet

When the chequered flag fell in Q1, I was 12th and remained 12th while I was still running on the track. When I crossed the line and the final standings came out, I was 19th and eliminated.

echo321 said:
The only simulated laptimes are those from AI's that are on a flying lap when you get to the cutscene. AI's that are in the pits or on the in-lap keep their time they already have. I have tested this so please don't even say something like "......" You know what i mean^^
The only problem here is that the laptimes of the AI's on a flying lap are wrong when there are changeable contidions on the track, like for example a drying track, then the AI get laptimes simulated for a completely dry track(making them 10+ seconds faster).
If the conditions stay the same, i can't see any problem with the simulated times, they seem to be possible. Maybe they are one ot two tenth to fast, as it takes the griplevel of the track at 0 time left, which is a little bit faster than when you start your lap with 1 minune left, as the track gets faster and faster towards the end(at least i assume that the simulated times are made with griplevel at 0 time left, not sure). So if ou struggle thaat much in quali even when there is no change in weathercondtion, maybe try to improve your quali-pace. (time-trial is good for this)

But yeah, the problem should be solved by codemasters in my opinion...

oh yeah, before i forget it, here the screenshots of my test(short quali):
http://www.directupload.net/file/d/4829/hj2ktzh8_jpg.htm
http://www.directupload.net/file/d/4829/tul2kf5z_jpg.htm
http://www.directupload.net/file/d/4829/fofnekit_jpg.htm
http://www.directupload.net/file/d/4829/j8k4k6tz_jpg.htm
(hopw the links work)

the first 2 show the laptimes with only few seconds to go, the 2 others the results... Hamilton, bottas, vettel, raikönnen, perez, grosjean, alonso and verstappen are all in the pits or on the in-lap at that moment. compare their laptimes with the results, you will see there are no simulated laptimes... they have the same times they set before the cutscene... only the AI's currently on a flying lap get a different laptime, which is not that unrealistic in general...(better grip at end of session).

So it's not thaaat bad some claim it to be... Just in changeable conditions it's really bugged and yes, i agree this should be fixed.
Can we please get a conmirmation by codies that you are looking into this, because it's a really good game and i like it! But it's just soooo annoying when you really push as hell and get a perfect lap in that is worth nothing at the end because some AI get bugged lapstimes 10 seconds faster then everyone and you drop out in Q2 in p11 because of that...

Regards :)
I agree with you. I ran a dry to wet session and conditions stayed consistent once it was wet. Those of us who managed a dry time were near the front, those who ran later were at the back. Once the session had finished no one improved on their times. It seems it's a wet to dry transition bug at the end of sessions.

Honestly I don't have problem with simulated lap times since player can interrupt ai times if he/she wants. However it should definitely be more progressive and consistent. The only problem that I've seen, if you don't end the session by yourself, the times get bugged. Ai come first with 19 sec etc. Also I don't know if there is a qualifying timing bug, but 4 sec difference between race and qualifying seems pretty realistic to me. I also feel like grip is much higher in qualifying, but I might be wrong. Just feels that way. track color different etc. 

I have been racing on 95 (legend) difficulty which I have found is the right difficulty level for me in the races. However in the practice and qualifying sessions I often finish way below where I should for the car I'm driving. I then checked the qualifying times for the front runners on both 95 and 101 difficulty, and (around Australia at least) they were virtually identical. On 90 difficulty they were noticeably lower, so it's almost as if the qualifying pace is either too high for the difficulty level it's on, or annoyingly the qualifying pace on legend and ultimate difficulty is too similar and too difficult for those who want to race on legend.

I'm on the PS4 version of the game, which does seem to have different qualifying times to the PC version at least. I've seen many F1 YouTubers who play on the PC on 101 or above difficulty, and the AI's qualifying times are strangely similar to the the ones on 95 difficulty on the PS4 version.

I have been racing on 95 (legend) difficulty which I have found is the right difficulty level for me in the races. However in the practice and qualifying sessions I often finish way below where I should for the car I'm driving. I then checked the qualifying times for the front runners on both 95 and 101 difficulty, and (around Australia at least) they were virtually identical. On 90 difficulty they were noticeably lower, so it's almost as if the qualifying pace is either too high for the difficulty level it's on, or annoyingly the qualifying pace on legend and ultimate difficulty is too similar and too difficult for those who want to race on legend.

I'm on the PS4 version of the game, which does seem to have different qualifying times to the PC version at least. I've seen many F1 YouTubers who play on the PC on 101 or above difficulty, and the AI's qualifying times are strangely similar to the the ones on 95 difficulty on the PS4 version.
Hmm. Could it be that AI is working on old difficulty settings?? Like if Ultimate was 110 before, but now on 101 it says Ultimate but AI still keeps getting times for 110??

This happened to me in China. Busted my balls to improve by 2 tenths in Q2, went from 15th to 11th which i thought was great. Then when it goes to the cut scene it says im back to 15th looked at the times and everyone improved by OVER A SECOND in their final runs. Stupid. Then the actual pole time is SLOWER than those times Renault/Mclaren etc set to beat me.

For me not only Qualifying is broken but also Free Practice.
This is when using skip to the end of session or fast forwarding the session, the AI sets laptimes which are impossible when they are on track. I ALWAYS beeing end up almost on the last place because of this - but when I just watch the rest of the session without skipping to the end of the session the AI sets normal laptimes. This bug was already present in previous games, seriously what is so hard to code the AI laptimes to a believable level when skip to end of session? Wouldnt it be better to freeze the standings completely (at least until this serious issue is resolved finally)?

Hmm. Could it be that AI is working on old difficulty settings?? Like if Ultimate was 110 before, but now on 101 it says Ultimate but AI still keeps getting times for 110??
I also had that idea, so i just tested this, one-shot quali with 5 lap race at britain (light cloud, official daytime, sauber team)
i can not confirm that, vs 101 AI i was about 0.15 seconds behind wehrlein in quali, in the race the fastest laptime i was 0.14 seconds slower, so no big difference... against 110 AI in quali i lost 1.2 seconds to wehrlein, in the race it was even 1.7 seconds... so actually the oppisite, i lost time from quali to race.
maybe some others might/want do more tests with other difficulties(legend/master/hard/...) but i don't have the feeling that the AI are different from quali to race...

There is definately something wrong when i can make 0.6 faster than the target time in quali practice program but in actual quali my team mate is 1.5sec faster and im 18th. Playing AI at 80.

I had 0 issues with this in 2016

Then the actual pole time is SLOWER than those times Renault/Mclaren etc set to beat me.
I've noticed that as well, if you don't make it into Q3, the pole position time is always slower. In fact it seems to be even too slow for the difficulty level you're on. So if you do a qualifying session they go way too quickly, if you don't get there then they go way too slowly.

Then the actual pole time is SLOWER than those times Renault/Mclaren etc set to beat me. 
Yep had that too. It's crazy. I've tagged Jenny and tweeted Lee to try and draw their attention but no such luck as far as I know. Although in the update thread that was posted earlier today it said they're taking note of what people are posting in the tech assistance forums so fingers crossed they'll sort this out.

They need to fix this...

They have two options:
Make it like F1 2016 - timer went to zero and AI got screwed.
Make it like online and wait for AI cars to finish their real laps after the session ended. 

It's and old bug from previous games, you can't skip to the end of session or fast forwarding the session, you have to wait it out.

SaabV4 said:
It's and old bug from previous games, you can't skip to the end of session or fast forwarding the session, you have to wait it out.

Skipping or fast forwarding has nothing to do with it. I never do those things and get this issue.

Lance Stroll on 95 diff beat the top Time Trial times by 1 second on medium tyres.
Codemasters pls nerf practice/quali AI and balance the simulation times :(