DiRT Rally 2.0 - New Player Guide Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Formula E

Thank you for moving to a more appropriate place. I did wonder when making the thread. I'm not surprised so many of you will be watching this weekend too (true racing fans - well done). I'm hoping the racing will be close like GP3 - 2. Can't wait to hear a pack of electric Formula cars whistling into turn 1. Will be getting up early to watch all the sessions. Should be a cracking days racing! Stoked already!! I think I will fan boost Senna to start off with.

No your not blue but I'm happy to get involved whilst it lasts. Just for a laugh I guess. In all honesty though, it doesn't seem very fair does it. Is it the top three voted drivers get 5 seconds of boost in the race? Can't quite remember now as it's getting late and I need to sleep now.

Ah so they do... They didn't before, and the one they put in Forza 5 doesn't either :(
Yeah, I think T10 modelled the promo car; by the Donington test they did have the mirrors on but the Forza version was no doubt already done by then.

It'll last 2 seasons, this season it's cheap because they are spec cars like gp2, next season they will develop their own cars and it'll probably be more expensive than f1, they are also ridiculously slow, below gp3 definitely. It's just another dump for failed f1 drivers. Loads of artificial crap in it too
Electric cars can't be any more artificial than petrol cars, just saying.

While the fanboost is one of the least 'fair' artificial race gimmicks I've ever seen, it's also likely to be one of the least influential. 5 seconds of extra power during the race? That's nothing.
  • In F1 you get DRS once, maybe twice per lap if you're close to another car.
  • Many series have mandatory pit stops with gimmicky tyre regulations.
  • IndyCars get 10 push to passes each race
  • BTCC uses success ballast.
All of these are artificial gimmicks with a much more significant effect on the race than a single 5 second power burst, and many of them are highly successful in improving the racing. Again, I don't agree with 'fanboost' where I can accept these as it's not a fair system; drivers can miss out because they don't have enough Twitter followers and it opens the door for discrimination. But it's a very small advantage in the scheme of things.

Britpoint said:
While the fanboost is one of the least 'fair' artificial race gimmicks I've ever seen, it's also likely to be one of the least influential. 5 seconds of extra power during the race? That's nothing.
All of these are artificial gimmicks with a much more significant effect on the race than a single 5 second power burst, and many of them are highly successful in improving the racing. Again, I don't agree with 'fanboost' where I can accept these as it's not a fair system; drivers can miss out because they don't have enough Twitter followers and it opens the door for discrimination. But it's a very small advantage in the scheme of things.
Its not that its an advantage, its that the fans decide who gets what. It would be like the fans deciding who gets to use DRS at certain points of the race. The fans should have no say in that whatsoever. Its a ridiculous idea

I get that. My point is more that although it's a ridiculous idea, the advantage gained should be so small that it's also not a big deal.

It's like... buying a lottery ticket every week is a ridiculous waste of money considering the utterly minuscule odds of ever winning it, but it's only a quid a week so you're probably not going to miss it.

Britpoint said:
I get that. My point is more that although it's a ridiculous idea, the advantage gained should be so small that it's also not a big deal.

It's like... buying a lottery ticket every week is a ridiculous waste of money considering the utterly minuscule odds of ever winning it, but it's only a quid a week so you're probably not going to miss it.
Lottery tickets are £2 ;)

APR193 said:
Britpoint said:

...Can you tell I don't play the lottery? ;)

Britpoint said:
APR193 said:
Britpoint said:

...Can you tell I don't play the lottery? ;)
With the wrong price and you saying its a ridiculous waste of money? Nah not at all :p

Britpoint said:
I agree that 5 seconds of boost would not make too much difference over the course of a race. I also don't think it will be a long term thing for Formula E.

I am a little bit worried about the speed in Formula E. According to Autosport magazine they were doing about 105mph down the main straight at Donnington with race power. A Formula Ford would have 20mph or so on that,

Hopefully it won't be a big deal and it will improve as the series evolves. But in the meantime... I just hope the circuits are built with that in mind so you don't notice that lack of performance too much. I don't want the series to be instantly dismissed in its first year because they can't take on GP3 cars.

The car swap-thing is because the battery isn't advanced enough to last through an entire race. This should be different in 2015-16.

Jiggy said:
The car swap-thing is because the battery isn't advanced enough to last through an entire race. This should be different in 2015-16.
Really hoping so. I mean, we're talking 30 seconds to swap cars, max (probably), but it just doesn't see right for racing...

I dunno, doesn't seem any more of an unwelcome interruption than swapping drivers in an endurance race. Heck, it's not even that long since F1 allowed drivers to swap to the T-car mid-race if they had to...

SynGamer said:
Jiggy said:
Really hoping so. I mean, we're talking 30 seconds to swap cars, max (probably), but it just doesn't see right for racing...
I don't see it as too different from a driver change in WEC. Although I do still hope it gets replaced by something better, be it better batteries, wireless recharging or battery swaps (perhaps using something similar to the tech Tesla have developed).

The whole fan boost thing wont be a massive issue, 5 seconds is not much, it might gain you like 1 position if you're lucky.

So the fan-boosts goes to Di Grassi, Senna and Legge.

Says something when the Chinese and the Indians, who vote for anything as long as one of their own is involved, couldn't be arsed to vote on their drivers.

And 3 cars immediately stalled on the grid. Hiccups.

Lap 20 and nobody's spoken of FanBoost. It's just too limited and not enough of an advantage to make any kind of difference in the race. They'd be better off replacing it with a few Push to Passes for everyone.

There's been some surprisingly good racing considering the tough circuit layout. Franck Montagny really impressing.