Sign in to follow this  

Formula E

A promising first race! Glad to see a good number of cars make it to the finish and some close racing throughout. I liked how close the cars could run, I liked the ebb and flow caused by the differences in the way they used their energy, the pit stops worked OK and the cars looked like they were going at a decent pace.

The lack of noise is a small issue - it just lacks a bit of theatre caused by the roar of an engine. Also the track layout wasn't good - I'm surprised they could overtake as well as they did to be honest. The chicanes aren't the best but the tight 90 degree lefts are worse. FanBoost is pointless, lets replace it with P2P.

It's going to be fascinating to see how this evolves over the course of a season.

I must admit I was sceptical about this, but wanted to watch one race and I have to say I've never been more wrong.
The racing was very good, the format works well (although I don't like the qualy format) and I didn't really notice the noise issue. Jack Nicholls was a good commentator choice too, he did a very good job.

I'd like the cars to be a bit faster, the music during the race is a definite NO from me and fan boost is stupid. Apart from these things, the only other thing I'd change is to have some races on normal circuits rather than all street tracks.

I don't know what Prost was thinking and I'm relieved for Heidfeld, that was a massive crash.

Also, imagine a top three of Prost, Senna and Piquet :p 

EDIT: And one last thing, the formation lap really needs to be sped up!

fIsince08 said:

I'd like the cars to be a bit faster, the music during the race is a definite NO from me and fan boost is stupid. Apart from these things, the only other thing I'd change is to have some races on normal circuits rather than all street tracks.

You're certainly right about the formation lap!

Normal circuits should definitely wait a while. The cars are too slow to be exciting on them, whereas 80mph can look pretty quick inches away from a barrier. I'd like a couple of seasons on street circuits only first; let the series get a following, let the cars develop a bit, and then start phasing in some road courses.

I reckon the music during the race could be OK but their choice of it wasn't great. The trouble with playing music is you'll never satisfy everyone's tastes. I did like it during the lights sequence - it was a good substitute for the crescendo of revs we usually hear.

fIsince08 said:
I must admit I was sceptical about this, but wanted to watch one race and I have to say I've never been more wrong.
The racing was very good, the format works well (although I don't like the qualy format) and I didn't really notice the noise issue. Jack Nicholls was a good commentator choice too, he did a very good job.

I don't know what Prost was thinking and I'm relieved for Heidfeld, that was a massive crash.

Also, imagine a top three of Prost, Senna and Piquet :p 

Would be great but all 3 suck lol.

I thought the first race was pretty cool. The racing was close and exciting. The noise didn't really bother me, I kinda like it actually, it's different. I didn't really notice the music playing to be honest so no comment. Fanboost accounted for nothing, as after it was announced who won it was never mentioned again, we don't even know if/when any of them used it. So if fanboost draws none racing fans in for some reason than fine but we all know it counts for nothing.

I think the cars could be faster, not really sure why qualifying they can run 200KW but race only 150, seems pointless. I liked that they seemed to be a  lot to handle coming out of the chicanes so that adds to the excitement. Speed will come overtime I suppose.

The biggest problem I saw and predict will continue to be annoying are the tracks. This track didn't really lend itself to real racing. I think more could be done in track design in cities to make it more exciting. While I agree the cars aren't ready for full circuits, but what about shorter layouts at well known tracks? Would at least be a change from street races.

Well overall I was pretty impressed by the first Formula E race!

The racing first and it was good on the whole, but a lot of room for improvement, as expected being the first race. The formation lap seemed to be unbelievably slow and it seemed like I was waiting for an age for them to line up on the grid. 

Considering the track layout, the battles on track were pretty good and the slower speeds probably helps keeping the cars closer together.

The car changes were very interesting, completely new to me! It's strange seeing all the cars pull into the garages/tents and changing over. It doesn't seem too bad though as there's a minimum time, so it doesn't take anything away from the on-track action, and races aren't therefore decided in the pit lane. 

Then there was obviously that incident at the end, and it looked really silly from Prost. Completely unnecessary swerve and spoilt a great finish. So glad to see Heidfeld is okay after that and when I saw it first time I went 'ohhh, oh my god, flip...'.

The track I thought was a bit naff and there didn't seem to be much atmosphere around the venue. I only saw one grandstand on the pit straight! The chicanes got rid of some flow of the track, meaning overtaking was made a lot harder, but I guess without them it would have all been 90 degree corners and very long periods of time at top speed.

The sausage kerbs need a re-think too because that is now the second time we have seen them launch a car into the air. There was obviously that occasion at Spa in GP3 where the kerb launched him in the air and over. Same situation here, but with the barrier it made him flip a lot. What about putting a big bollard there or maybe some astro turf? That wouldn't launch them into the air, but would still hopefully deter the drivers from cutting the corners. Hopefully the future circuits won't have them and not as many chicanes either.

A mention on the coverage, I think ITV4 did a very good job today with their coverage. Jennie Gow seems like a very good presenter and the pundits were good, but Mardenborough seemed a bit off form, and he can get better I think. It was great to see a full hour build up too and it was nice to see something other than F1 getting a good long build up. A decent enough debrief afterwards too, and it's cool to see that ITV4 use the official Formula E fonts and styles in their graphics instead of their own, as Sky F1 and BBC do with Formula 1.

Then the race came and the world feed, and I must say, what a gem Jack Nichols is. Enthusiastic, knowledgeable, and he's only twenty something? Fantastic. Dario Franchitti is pretty good too and they complement each other quite well.

The music sound track is an interesting concept and I didn't mind it. I'm glad they didn't have it during the live racing, but on the grid, formation lap, safety car, pits and replays it was good. It wasn't overly loud and distracting either so I wouldn't mind that staying.

To have full HD on boards is so good! It amazes me that still, Formula 1 has not got full HD on boards. Even BTCC has them! Surely next year they'll have them. 

The TV graphics were pretty good, some interesting info with the battery percentages, but nothing about the FanBoost. I was surprised we weren't told when the drivers were using it.

The biggest problem I saw and predict will continue to be annoying are the tracks. This track didn't really lend itself to real racing. I think more could be done in track design in cities to make it more exciting. While I agree the cars aren't ready for full circuits, but what about shorter layouts at well known tracks? Would at least be a change from street races.
Capability of the cars is only half of it. The other reason they don't want to run on circuits is they tend to be out of the way. If you race in a city centre, you can get interest from people who are in or around the city centre anyway as part of their normal lives. If you put it out on a track that people have to drive to, you're only going to attract people who are interested anyway.

Given that FE doesn't currently run support races, I don't think it would be an attractive event to go to a circuit for right now.

Really enjoyed the first race. The things I would like to see changed:
No music during the race please. But I think it is going to be scrapped judging by the amount of tweets.
Faster formation lap. It didn't look like the tyres and brakes benefitted from it.
The pitstops. I did not like how the drivers were made to wait, even though they were ready to go.
The fan boost. Didn't hear anything about it during the race.
All in all though, it was very good for a first event and can only get better. So glad to see no one hurt in the accident too. I'm a fan!

Britpoint said:
Capability of the cars is only half of it. The other reason they don't want to run on circuits is they tend to be out of the way. If you race in a city centre, you can get interest from people who are in or around the city centre anyway as part of their normal lives. If you put it out on a track that people have to drive to, you're only going to attract people who are interested anyway.

Given that FE doesn't currently run support races, I don't think it would be an attractive event to go to a circuit for right now.
I see your points and I agree. I'm not saying they need to do it now or next season. But I think eventually they need to expand from just cities. I'm concerned that if it is solely city races each track will blur together and the TV audience will lose interest because every track will be the same. By adding smaller actual circuits the variety of the sport increases and there's more to enjoy. Again I don't think they are ready for it as there is no real fan base that would go to events in the manner which you describe.

Formula E to use the shorter Monaco layout

That sucks. The top section makes the track really. Also, that layout can only be about 1.5 miles? Imagine getting 20 cars around that!

fIsince08 said:
Has anyone got an onboard of what that actually looks like?
Something like this I expect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_uWXUnvOHw

Tam3000 said:
Any chance Formula E watching in India
Recordings of it are all over YouTube. They don't seem to be taking them down (probably good in the long run for brand exposure etc. etc.).

Would rather have a leccy rallycross series, low category single seaters are pretty tepid despite the driver line-up... cars could make the full six laps too without having to swap to a new one. Plus an RX course is a lot more compact than a full blown street circuit which is good for logistics and crap.

Imagine an electric RX Lites... like the Trophee Andros Electrique but faster and with a lot more exposure

This is a Formula E race around Donington Park that was run as a mock event:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQNrtmSnQ1I&feature=youtu.be&t=43s

The action is so much better!

It's so good Formula E are uploading stuff like this for everyone to see. Come on F1, get with the times