DiRT Rally 2.0 - New Player Guide Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Formula E

Not really sure about starting this discussion here but I was wondering if you guys are going to check-out the new Formula E championship that kicks off this Saturday (13/09/14) in Beijing, China? What do you think it will be like?
There are a lot of familiar names (ex F1 drivers) on the grid.
There will be 2 practice sessions, a qually (with 3 points for pole position) and a 50 minute race. The finishing points will be the same as F1 plus an additional 2 points awarded for the fastest race lap. The pit stops are intriguing as the drivers come in to change cars rather than change batteries (for safety reasons according to the FIA). I personally can't wait for it to start. ITV 4 live!

Probably the wrong section for this thread, but as far as Formula E goes I feel sorry and embarrassed to be a motorsport fan when motorsport comes up with ideas like this.

There's nothing wrong with having a different type of motorsport. Electric engines are much more exciting than the old Internal combustion engine, it's nice to have a multitude of types of motor sports, it'd be boring if we only had the same old series with the same old regulations. Nothing wrong with new things.

Having to go into the pits to change "cars" not tyres is an interesting concept. I hate the idea too, but F1's already moved half way towards this and already sounds rubbish so why not go all the way. 

I have a feeling the big engine era is not dead quite yet, just having a sleep. As the sport loses popularity, they will have to do something about the crappy noise and there's no substitute for cylinders and petrol with that. At least the Safety Car still sounds good, or does it? have they changed the Merc AMG to a hybrid as well?

If the racing is good, then I'll be happy that's for sure. I like the idea of environmentally friendly Motorsport. It's a fantastic idea. The batteries are even recharged via environmentally friendly methods. The championship runs from this weekend until June 2015 so we will have a good few races to enjoy over the winter whilst the F1 season is over. Bring it on!

By the way - Petrol ain't gonna last forever so it's got to go somewhere. Bio fuels is a possibility but there's nothing regarding that at the moment.

Its just not for me. I just cannot understand how anyone can be excited about it. The cars are ugly, they don't make any sound, the grid is full of average drivers, most of whom are F1 hasbeens or neverweres, then they bring in stupid rules like fanboost which make it sound like X factor.

Being at a race track the sound of the cars/bikes adds so much to the experience, as does the smell of petrol. Hearing the cars/bikes comes towards you 2/3/4 turns before/after you can actually see them adds so much. I just can't imagine how lifeless and boring a Formula E race is going to be. If its the future of motorsport then motorsports future is bleak

So Andretti are still missing a driver (only have 1 confirmed) and we're still missing a venue for round 5. Any takers? :stuck_out_tongue: 

Would watch, but I'm in London so idk what I'll get to see.
How do you mean? It's on ITV4 :p 
I'm travelling to London on Saturday, so unless it's on at a time when I can watch it, I can't...
Oh I see :p Well it's on live between 8am and 10:30am, but there's highlights at 6pm

I don't understand those who are negative about this new championship. There are only positives for me!

I can't wait for the season to start and I will certainly be waking up early for the start in China. It's the future of car technology, in motorsport, it looks awesome. Yes the cars may not be that fast, and the engine sound is rubbish, but so what? You'll still have close racing, on street circuits over the world, great drivers, and it's a brand new concept. All practice, qualifying and race will take place on the same day, so a full day of action for the fans, and there's fan boost which is very cool. Can't wait.

I'm kinda excited for it. I don't get why people say it's such a terrible idea and it'll ruin Motorsport? Why would it? It's just a new type of racing and when was the last time that really happened. I don't know that it really has much future impact but it will certainly be neat to watch. The racing should be good, equal cars with pretty good drivers. Sounds isn't everything and it's not as if they're silent. 

It'll last 2 seasons, this season it's cheap because they are spec cars like gp2, next season they will develop their own cars and it'll probably be more expensive than f1, they are also ridiculously slow, below gp3 definitely. It's just another dump for failed f1 drivers. Loads of artificial crap in it too

I'm very excited about Formula E.

Electric cars need to be more publicly accepted and they need better technology; motorsport is the perfect place for this. It has a strong team and driver lineup (not everyone needs to be an F1 world champion to be a good racing driver) and they're starting with a sensible spec series at first before opening up the rules to constructors in following seasons.

This is a series that isn't trying to run before it can walk, is very smartly running in city centres instead of on circuits in the middle of nowhere (one of the things that killed off A1GP) and looks like a solid foundation for the future. I'm not a fan of the 'fanboost' system either, but it'll probably either be a) not a big factor in races so it'll be easy to ignore or b) so bad that it gets quickly dumped. I can cope with either of those.

As for criticisms that the cars are a bit slow and the battery range isn't all that, bear in mind this is only their first ever season. The first Internal Combustion Engine races looked like this:

I think Formula E will be OK.