Want to report an issue? Have a bug to report? Please look here first!!!! Read more... ×

(F1 2017) (PC+PS4) Logitech G29 Red Rotary Dial = Double Inputs if mapped to eg. Fuel Mix Shortcuts

Platform: Steam / PC (Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, v1703) { EDIT: according to "CCDriver1" below, bug also exists on PS4 Pro }
Game Version: 1.3 { EDIT: issue still exists on: v1.4, v1.5, v1.7, 1.10 }
Game Mode: Any mode where you have access to fuel mix settings { UPDATE: not specific to fuel mix, issue is with red dial }
Controller: Logitech G29 Steering Wheel
Logitech LGS Version: 8.91.48 { EDIT: as advised below, I have updated to latest v8.96.81, and this problem still exists }
Display Refresh Rate: Tried 60/120/144Hz (tried this in case issue related to erratic FFB bug @ >100Hz in F1 2010-2014)
Other Reference: http://steamcommunity.com/app/515220/discussions/0/1471969431591192665/

Briefly: The MFD shortcuts for Fuel Mix +/- often skip straight past '2' (Standard), when mapped to the Logitech G29's red rotary dial, with the in-game driver's hand animation triggering twice in succession.
(NOTE: at least one other user has reported the issue, with unconfirmed hardware, on the above reference link)
(EDIT: from further testing, this issue is also exhibited if the G29's red rotary dial is mapped to eg. brake bias, with the setting sometimes changing twice in quick succession)

How to Reproduce: Map the MFD 'Fuel Mix' shortcuts to the red rotary dial on the Logitech G29, such that turning clockwise=increase, anti-clockwise=decrease. Now when you turn the dial to change the fuel mixture, it switches from '1'(Lean) to '2'(Standard), but then immediately jumps to '3'(Rich) without stopping. The same happens when switching down from '3' to '2', it mostly jumps straight to '1' afterwards. Occasionally it is possible to get it to stop on '2', but most of the time it seems to skip straight past it, with the in-game driver's hand animation playing twice in quick succession, even though the rotary dial on the G29 is only moved one 'notch'. Note that I can successfully tweak the fuel mix via the MFD in the usual way with the MFD navigation buttons up/down/left/right, and it never skips past '2' when I do that.

Further Details / Tests...

I am fairly confident that the wheel is not malfunctioning, by eg. sending multiple button presses when it is turned one 'notch'. I have tested my Logitech G29 with other games, and by using the Logitech LGS software to map the rotary dial to key presses & watching the output in a text editor. The wheel is only outputting one button press, or one keyboard stroke for each 'notch' turned on the red dial. It is never performing a double button press / key stroke, unless you actually move it multiple notches.

I have tried mapping the rotary dial to press eg. Numpad +/- on the keyboard using Logitech LGS, and then configuring F1 2017 Fuel Mix MFD Shortcuts to those keys on the keyboard. As above, I can see in eg. Windows Notepad that those keys are only being pressed once each time the dial is turned one notch. However, when in the game, turning the dial still results in the fuel mix skipping over '2' most times it is used. Strangely, when pressing those keys directly on the keyboard, the problem does not arise.

I have tried the same mappings using other software, JoyToKey, and even tried using it's options to ensure that any key 'repeat' is not triggered too quickly / at all. I get the same results as above.

I have tried mapping the fuel mix shortcuts to other buttons on the wheel, eg. the + / - semi-circular buttons, and it works fine that way, never skipping past '2'. So there does seem to be something different about the way that the rotary dial is being polled by the game.

EDIT: Also, I have just tested mapping the same rotary dial to control eg. brake bias, and it seems to exhibit the same issue there, sometimes changing the setting twice in quick succession, when moved only one notch. So it seems like this is more an issue in the way the dial is responding to being polled in general, rather than an issue with the fuel mix setting specifically.

Please let me know if you require any further information. Thanks!!!

---
EDIT: SEE MY POSTS FURTHER DOWN THE THREAD FOR MORE DETAILS OF OTHER TESTING I HAVE DONE TO TRY TO NARROW DOWN THE SPECIFIC CAUSE.
Summary of Further Testing Since Original Post... (none of these have fixed the issue yet!)

I created fresh new F1 2017 controller config, via "Duplicate" default G29 profile, and added Fuel Mix +/- mappings for the red dial, to eliminate any possible custom controls mappings I had.

After updating LGS, I re-tested with the game/sim rFactor to double-check the dial in there, and it is working as expected, only registering once for each "notch" moved on the dial.

I tried closing "JoyToKey" which I normally leave running on my system, just in case it was interfering. Didn't make any difference.

I unplugged all additional controllers/devices besides the G29 and my keyboard/mouse, in case there was any possible interference. No change, issue persisted.

I tried mapping the Logitech G29's red rotary dial to the MFD left/right controls (and unmapped it from the Fuel Mix +/- shortcuts). I then brought up the MFD and higlighted the Fuel Mix setting using the normal controls, and used the red dial to switch the fuel mix up/down. Unfortunately, the fuel mix was still jumping from 1 to 3 as before, just briefly passing through 2. And again, I could sometimes get it to settle on 2, but not very often. So it looks like the issue is not specific to the Fuel Mix, or even the MFD shortcuts, but occurs when the red rotary dial on the G29 is mapped to any control in the game.

I tried more advanced keyboard mappings in the Logitech LGS software, with the game controls for Fuel Mix +/- mapped to a couple of keys. I tried various LGS settings for delays & repeats, and tried the various "Keystroke", "Multi Key" & "Text Block" features in LGS. None of them seemed to resolve the double-pressing issue with the game.

I tested with Display Refresh Rate: 60/120/144Hz... but unfortunately, the issue remains, regardless of the refresh rate.
NOTE: I figured I should try this as there was a long-standing bug which affected all of F1 2010/2011/2012/2013/2014, where if your displau refresh rate was set to more than 100Hz, and you are using the Logitech G29 (not sure if also affected other wheels?), then the force feedback would behave erratically, sometimes jerking wildly to one side. Lowering the refresh rate to 100Hz or less solved the issue with those older titles. Obviously, this issue isn't related to FFB, but it was worth testing it, in case there was a similar glitch with the driver/API handling the rotary dial at higher refresh rates.

Tried with Windows 10 "Game Mode" enabled & disabled (had to briefly switch F1 2017 to Windowed mode to get the Game Bar to show, for some reason!)

Try LGS 8.96.81 and report back. Body is 8 characters too short.
Thanks. I should have looked for an update before posting.
However, I've just updated to the latest version you mentioned & unfortunately the issue remains.
I couldn't see any specific reference to the G29 on recent LGS patch notes (just generic 'minor fixes'), not since the version I listed above (that's the reason I last updated LGS).

I've also tried another test...
I setup a fresh new F1 2017 controller config, by using the option to "Duplicate" the default G29 profile, and then I simply added mappings to the Fuel Mix +/- MFD shortcuts for the red dial. I just wanted to eliminate any possible custom controls mappings I had. The problem still existed though.

And I've just popped into rFactor to double-check a controls mapping for the dial in there, and it is working as expected, only registering once for each "notch" moved on the dial.

I've done some more testing, and found a (not ideal) workaround until there's a fix, in case anyone else has the same issue & finds this thread in future.

More Testing...

I tried closing "JoyToKey" which I normally leave running on my system, just in case it was interfering. Didn't make any difference.

I unplugged all additional controllers/devices besides the G29 and my keyboard/mouse, again, in case there was any possible interference. No change, issue persisted.

I tried mapping the Logitech G29's red rotary dial to the MFD left/right controls (and unmapped it from the Fuel Mix +/- shortcuts). I then brought up the MFD and higlighted the Fuel Mix setting using the normal controls, and used the red dial to switch the fuel mix up/down. Unfortunately, the fuel mix was still jumping from 1 to 3 as before, just briefly passing through 2. And again, I could sometimes get it to settle on 2, but not very often. So it looks like the issue is not specific to the Fuel Mix, or even the MFD shortcuts, but occurs when the red rotary dial on the G29 is mapped to any control in the game.

I tried more advanced keyboard mappings in the Logitech LGS software, with the game controls for Fuel Mix +/- mapped to a couple of keys. I tried various LGS settings for delays & repeats, and tried the various "Keystroke", "Multi Key" & "Text Block" features in LGS. None of them seemed to resolve the double-pressing issue with the game.

Workaround I Have Discovered Until The Issue is Resolved...

Using the 3rd party controller mapping utility "JoyToKey", I have setup a profile for the game. I have mapped the red rotary dial to press Numpad +/- when it is turned CW/CCW. But in order to avoid the double-press issue I have setup each mapping as follows in JoyToKey...
  • Use the function category "Keyboard 2" = switch between multiple assignments
  • Select "Switch depending on how many times the button is pressed within short duration"
  • This will switch if the button is pressed: once=Input 1, twice=Input 2, ..., 4 times=Input 4
  • Set the "msec threshold" to 500 milliseconds (how long it waits while counting button presses)
  • Leave "Input 1" set to "Disabled" for all 4 rows/fields {EDIT: actually, to better handle if you accidentally only move the dial one notch, you can set this the same as Input 2/3/4 below}
  • Set each of "Input 2/3/4" to eg. 'Numpad +' for CW on the dial (or 'Numpad -' for CCW on the dial) [just the top field, leave bottom 3 'Disabled']
In F1 2017, setup those MFD shortcuts for Fuel Mix +/- in your controller scheme to those keys (Numpad +/-, as above)

IMPORTANT: Now, when you want to switch fuel mix in the game, you rotate the dial by 2-4 notches at once, and then wait. About half a second later, the in-game driver's hand will animate and turn the fuel mix up/down appropriately. Note that if you only turn the dial one notch, the fuel mix may not change (if it happens to be one of those times where the game only registers a single button press!). So, make sure you spin the dial a few notches up or down when you want to change the setting.

Anyway, I hope some of that is useful to anyone following this.
I'd be happy to hear of any better workarounds, which don't require turning the dial multiple notches at once.
Hopefully a fix for the issue will be possible at some point, as the dial seems to work fine for me in other titles.

Some more details on a couple of other test...

F1 2017 v1.4 Patch: The issue still exists after the recent patch

Display Refresh Rate: Tried 60/120/144Hz... but unfortunately, the issue remains, regardless of the refresh rate.
NOTE: I figured I should try this as there was a long-standing bug which affected all of F1 2010/2011/2012/2013/2014, where if your displau refresh rate was set to more than 100Hz, and you are using the Logitech G29 (not sure if also affected other wheels?), then the force feedback would behave erratically, sometimes jerking wildly to one side. Lowering the refresh rate to 100Hz or less solved the issue with those older titles. Obviously, this issue isn't related to FFB, but it was worth testing it, in case there was a similar glitch with the driver/API handling the rotary dial at higher refresh rates.

Try LGS 8.96.81 and report back. Body is 8 characters too short.
Thanks. I should have looked for an update before posting.
However, I've just updated to the latest version you mentioned & unfortunately the issue remains.
I couldn't see any specific reference to the G29 on recent LGS patch notes (just generic 'minor fixes'), not since the version I listed above (that's the reason I last updated LGS).

I've also tried another test...
I setup a fresh new F1 2017 controller config, by using the option to "Duplicate" the default G29 profile, and then I simply added mappings to the Fuel Mix +/- MFD shortcuts for the red dial. I just wanted to eliminate any possible custom controls mappings I had. The problem still existed though.

And I've just popped into rFactor to double-check a controls mapping for the dial in there, and it is working as expected, only registering once for each "notch" moved on the dial.
Yeah general observations for anyone updating anything or bugtesting.

@YorkyPudsy is reproducing the issue
He is removing other issues and isolating the symptom
He is feeding back more information

Updates: Often have undocumented fixes. You may want to try regression testing if an update solves an issue. Often developers will use the latest drivers or versions of products whilst working. It helps if you follow suit.

If you don't update and you insist on staying at a certain build or version of something, be aware you are underwriting your own technical debt and need to understand why you do it and it's limitations when it comes to future/forward compatibility.

I like vanilla. KISS.

Thanks @steviejay69, for following this & your input so far.
I notice you have a G920... I don't think that has the rotary dial though, so I guess you can't try to reproduce the issue there.

Anyway, a couple more little updates... (I'm continuing to edit summaries of this stuff into my 1st post, for any newcomers to the issue/thread)

Windows 10 Game Mode: I've tried running with Windows 10 "Game Mode" both enabled & disabled. At least, to the best of my ability to determine that it is enabled/disabled! I had to temporarily switch the game to windowed mode in order to get the Game Bar to show up, for some reason! I suppose F1 2017 hasn't made it onto Microsoft's list of supported games yet. Regardless, it didn't make any difference to the issue. It was another long shot, but something I figured is a recent enough change to Windows that it may not have been thoroughly tested during F1 2017's development cycle alongside the G29.

F1 2017 v1.5: Issue still exists after the latest patch

I'm having the same issue on the Logitech G29 (not the g920, that doesn't have the turn dial).

No matter what I have tried, when turning the red turn dial the game registers 2 inputs instead of one.
This happens when trying to adjust anything, be it fuel mix or brake bias. Everything in incremented or decremented by 2.
I haven't experienced this issue on any other game I've played with this wheel at all.

This issue is still occuring in the F1 2017 patch v1.7

Thanks @TomTHaw for confirming the issue. So it does look like it's a bug in the game with the G29's red dial causing duplicate/double inputs, rather than a problem with our controllers. Perhaps it's worth posting details of any tests you may have done to try to fix it or narrow down the issue that I might have missed above, since I kind of ran out of ideas! I've just tested again on v1.7, with my JoyToKey workaround disabled, and the issue still exists here too.

Does anyone know if there's a procedure beyond posting here to bring this issue to the attention of someone @ CM who may be able to investigate & schedule a fix...?

Meanwhile, @TomTHaw , I don't know if you've come up with any workarounds of your own, but perhaps try my suggestion above involving JoyToKey. It seems to work most of the time for me, but you have to spin the dial a few notches each time you want to adjust it, so it's not ideal (especially if you want to change the setting by more than 1 position in one go!). I suppose a similar solution may be possible with various other 3rd party controls mapping tools. Let me know if you find anything better :)

Thanks @Koli0842 and @CCDriver1 for confirming the issue.

It's particularly interesting to hear that the problem also occurs on the PS4 Pro version of the game. I've updated the info in the original post to reflect this, and also that the latest version of the game (1.10 on PC) still has the bug.

Unfortunately, I haven't heard anything further about a fix yet. There's just my suggested workaround above (using JoyToKey or similar), which isn't quite perfect, and is of no use to console users, now that we know the problem also exists there.

Perhaps someone official can comment on the likelihood of this being resolved at some point before F1 2017 falls off of CM's radar? Or is there some other way to flag this issue to a CM representative? I'd hate to think this will become another one of those problems which persists & carries over into future annual releases, simply because it has gone unnoticed.

I think the whole issue of controllers registering inputs correctly needs looking at. Mis-shifts and particularly missed down-shifts is becoming more common, but this appears to be tied in with the refresh rates and polling due to the display sync (or not).

I think the whole issue of controllers registering inputs correctly needs looking at. Mis-shifts and particularly missed down-shifts is becoming more common, but this appears to be tied in with the refresh rates and polling due to the display sync (or not).
That's also interesting to read. Now that you mention it, I do recall an odd instance where a shift was missed, or perhaps there was a double-shift. It hasn't been a regular occurrence or something I could reproduce (whereas the double input from the red dial on the Logitech G29 is very easy to reproduce), so I just put it down to me being sloppy with my use of the paddles on those couple of occasions!

But you mention a possible link with refresh rate/polling... is there anything in particular that makes you say that, or any other relevant symptoms/info that might help CM investigate these kind of input issues? As I mentioned originally, I tried the game at various refresh rates (60/120/144Hz) to try to eliminate that as a cause (based on my experience of FFB issues with earlier F1 games at >100Hz). But I do have Nvidia adaptive sync enabled, and I don't think I tried turning that off, for example.

That's also interesting to read. Now that you mention it, I do recall an odd instance where a shift was missed, or perhaps there was a double-shift. It hasn't been a regular occurrence or something I could reproduce (whereas the double input from the red dial on the Logitech G29 is very easy to reproduce), so I just put it down to me being sloppy with my use of the paddles on those couple of occasions!

But you mention a possible link with refresh rate/polling... is there anything in particular that makes you say that, or any other relevant symptoms/info that might help CM investigate these kind of input issues? As I mentioned originally, I tried the game at various refresh rates (60/120/144Hz) to try to eliminate that as a cause (based on my experience of FFB issues with earlier F1 games at >100Hz). But I do have Nvidia adaptive sync enabled, and I don't think I tried turning that off, for example.
With adaptive sync you get no slowdown of any routines whereas with simple V-SYNC or frame rate capping you do.
Also with XHCI controllers the polling can be smart / bursty and on EHCI it's constant but lower.

Thanks. I can imagine how different vsync settings might interfere with input polling if the game handles it poorly.  I can't claim to know much about XHCI/EHCI, but FWIW my G29 is connected via a USB3 hub to a USB3 port on the mainboard, as are most of my devices, though I think I have a couple of things on USB2 too. Perhaps I could try the G29 on USB2, although I did previously try unplugging all other devices & still had the issue.

I haven't had this double-input problem with any other games (with the same adaptive sync setting & using the same devices, connected in the same way), so I suppose if either of those things are a factor, it's possibly something that the game should be dealing with better.

Thanks. I can imagine how different vsync settings might interfere with input polling if the game handles it poorly.  I can't claim to know much about XHCI/EHCI, but FWIW my G29 is connected via a USB3 hub to a USB3 port on the mainboard, as are most of my devices, though I think I have a couple of things on USB2 too. Perhaps I could try the G29 on USB2, although I did previously try unplugging all other devices & still had the issue.

I haven't had this double-input problem with any other games (with the same adaptive sync setting & using the same devices, connected in the same way), so I suppose if either of those things are a factor, it's possibly something that the game should be dealing with better.
When troubleshooting any USB device then the use of hubs (passive or otherwise) is inadvisable. I strongly suggest at least trying the USB 2.0 (EHCI) ports as well as removing any extraneous USB devices (I see you tried this last bit).

When troubleshooting any USB device then the use of hubs (passive or otherwise) is inadvisable. I strongly suggest at least trying the USB 2.0 (EHCI) ports as well as removing any extraneous USB devices (I see you tried this last bit).
Yeah, thinking back, I believe I did plug the G29 directly into the mainboard as part of my tests when I was unplugging everything else. Regardless, it won't hurt for me to try it again next time I'm on the game! And I'll give it a go on USB2 as well, because I don't think it would have occurred to me to try that before.

Cheers!

{ EDIT: oh, and it's an active/powered USB3 hub, just to fill in that bit of info... and I forget the details, but it's power supply is spec'd way over what the devices connected to it draw }

I did mess around quite a bit with EHCI / XHCI settings in bios (regarding another issue and this aswell), tried both 2.0 and 3.0 and no luck. The other issue was losing force feedback and pedal remapping, which was caused by Windows detecting G29 and G920 aswell, and putting them both into registry. The registry keys were about axis and buttons, deleting the 920 keys solved every other problem, but not the double dial input

I'm getting the odd missed shift as well as the double down shift since the 1.10 patch as YorkyPudsy states. I thought it was my G29 playing up but it's less than a month old.

I have a brand new gearbox fitted and ALL the durability upgrades done. I use manual gears, I've had to resort to using auto gears as it appears to work ok like that.

I've only had my PS4 Pro and G29 for less than a month so I'm not sure what patch all this started.

Hi, so now we have 2020 and the problem remains... I fully adhere to what @YorkyPudsy wrote starting this topic. For me it's sad because rotary dial was mainly why I bought G29, as I own G27 as well.

So this is what I wrote on logitech forum: this is interesting as described problem applies in other games as well, as Assetto Corsa or Project Cars 2. 

Hello.

I have a problem of a kind: I assign some function to rotary dial, like "ABS+/ ABS-" or "Turbo+/Turbo-". However, when I rotate once, I get double input in 90% of cases, sometimes single as it should be. 

I tried that in Assetto Corsa and in F1 2018 and behaviour is the same. Strange thing is that in Assetto when I'm in controller setup every one rotation is seen as one-step change on screen that is showing controller inputs. So at this stage everything is OK, only in game it's double input. (I mean when driving)

In F1 2018 in controller settings it's not showing input when pressing button so cannot check that, however in a game behaviour is similar. I assigned to rotary dial gear up/down and observerd strange things. When car is standing and I use only rotary dial, I get proper up/down shifts. But once I accelerate and have pedal pressed, it will in 90% of cases double shift up or down.

I saw other people on internet describing the same issue also in other games:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ACCompetizione/comments/9xvgk8/logitech_g29_dual_inputs_from_rotary_dial/

One done very interesting experiment, which I also performed with the same result: assigned rotary dial (via joy2key program) to press 'a' for right, and 'b' for left. Opened notepad in background and started to play. Then checking notepad, and there are no dual 'aa' or 'bb', while in game there were double inputs.

As a result it's hard to understand why is that and what is wrong: logitech or games or some combination?

Nevertheless as problem has been observed in Assetto Corsa, Assetto Corsa Competizione, Project Cars 2, F1 2018 its hard to say all games have the same bug. But considering 'notepad' experiment it's also hard to say G29 has a bug.

Regards,

Summarizing I would say, after all I found on Internet:

- occurs in different games

- occurs in PC and PS platform as well

- some people are reporting it occurs with more than one controller working at the same time (for example + other shifters, buttonboxes etc), but it also occurs only with G29 as as one controller

- it's not only about double input. even if I accept double input (for example I want to change 20%, and single step is 2% with double input, so I still need to make 10 steps), fast rotation of the dial is not effective. So it's like I need to rotate one step-wait-rotate-wait-and so on. It's not as gamer wants. 

Edited by matroX40
spelling corrections

HI everyone,

With the F1 2019 game, the following update is in progress and due for the next patch release:

Logitech G29 Rotary Dial Mapping Issue. We have a proposed solution in test at the moment. Pending confirmation of these test results, we are hoping to release this in the next upcoming patch.

Hope this helps at all.